Survey Says...
I want to take some time to share with you about my very special writing project I have been working on as well as ask for your help.

Through some exciting "God-incidences" (I don't believe in coincidences.) I have the opportunity to write a book proposal for Harvest House. This proposal is extremely close to my heart because the book will cover the last year of our online study of the One Year Chronological Bible. Yes, the book would be a companion study for the One Year Chronological Bible.

I need your help as well as your prayers. Will you take the time to answer the following short survey? The data will be very important to Harvest House as they consider my proposal.

When you post your answer simply type the question number and then answer. It is not necessary to retype the question.

Example: (These are fictitious answers.)
#1 I love this Bible
#2 God is great!
#3 We are FIGs.

Questions:

  1. What leads you to purchase a book? (i.e. author, title, cover)
  2. Why did you purchase the One Year Chronological Bible?
  3. With all the devotional books on the market today, would you purchase a companion devotional to the One Year Chronological Bible?
  4. Why would you purchase a book written by Wendy Pope?
  5. Would you recommend a book written by Wendy Pope? Why or why not?
  6. Please give brief feedback on this possible title: Check the Box: Read through the Bible in Year and Enjoy
  7. I would love to hear your suggestions for a title.
Thanks ya'll!



55 Comments:

Anonymous susan said...

Sounds great Wendy, you will be able to reach so many more, congratulations
The cover of a book doesnt influence me, but if I am already reading someone I like and they recomend I will definitely look.Subscribing to proverbs 31 influenced me to buy Becoming more.. and reading the bible in one year.
I purchased The OYC Bible after reading some of your blogs - God works mightily through you!
A companion devotional sounds like a great help and idea.
The question would be why not?I have read your books and would buy the next, you definitely are God inspired and back yourself with the Word.
Definitely recommend, I am a beginner Christian and what you write is a true encouragement and mature christians need plenty of reminding.

Your title sounds inviting.
Just a thought- what about
"No-one ever told me!-I CAN read and Enjoy the Bible in a year"
Turn the page and see how!.
Susanx

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) I usually purchase a book due to word of mouth.
2)I purchased this Bible b/c I saw your invite at Proverbs 31.
3) I would definitely purchase it; especially now that I've had my nose deep into this Bible. The devotional would only enhance my reading experience.
4)Of course - Wendy has proven herself to me.
5) Same as #4
6)Title sounds good; maybe the word "Nuggets" could be used too...seems we all know what that means!
Praying for your new adventure Wendy.

Morgen

Blogger Leslie in NC said...

1. I usually buy a book based on the author/ topic and by word of mouth.
2. I purchased this Bible because you were using it for this study...received the invite thru a daily devotion from Proverbs 31.
3.I would definitely purchase the companion devotional. Wendy, I have so greatly enjoyed being on this journey with you. I am learning so much from the "nuggets" you address on your vlog and those posted by others. To have the companion book to help explain items or give background info or just to provide a new idea/perspective to the daily reading would be wonderful.
4. As stated above, this online study with Wendy has been wonderful...would definitely buy the companion book.
5. I have been recommending this online study to friends and would also recommend the devotional.
6. For me this study is about searching for God's treasures/ nuggets each day...it's about digging deeper...it's a daily adventure into God's Word. I am so "plugged-in" to this study and God's word ...I can't wait to get up and read each morning and to see Wendy's vlog and to read everyone's thoughts and insights. I think the title should reflect that... searching, nuggets, treasure, daily adventure.

Praying for you and this new adventure.

Leslie

Blogger mary said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger mary said...

1)If I know the author or friends recommendations. Sometime just how the cover looks. I'll pick it up & if the info in the jacket cover sounds interesting I'll purchase it.
2) In 2008 several family members mentioned reading together. I have read the bible through in the past & thought this would be a new & interesting way of looking at scripture. I saw on Wendy's blog that she would be leading the reading in 2009. It was an answer to prayer!! To do this with the Christian community from so many different places was & is a blessing.
3) Yes it would be a blessing to have a companion book.
4) I grown to respect Wendy & enjoy how she writes on her blog.
5)Oh definitely yes. She is blessed with wisdom & explains herself in terms that are easy to understand.
6) The 'check the box' sounds like one more thing that needs to be done. The rest of the title is fine.
7) Nuggets of truths!
A new way to look at scripture!
Enjoy reading the Bible in
chronological order of how it
actually happened!

Wendy blessings & peace on you & your project! Mary

February 20, 2010 8:52 AM

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

1. It Varies, it could be the author, sometimes the title and it could be because of where I'm at or what is going on in my life right then and what I feel I need.
2. I was wanting to get closer to God and understand His word and the life of Jesus. Then I read your post in Nov of 2007 to join you in reading the Chronological Bible. Seemed like the answer to my prayers asking God how He wanted me to get to know Him better.
3. Normally I would say no, because I know with devotions I get online and the current studies I am doing, I might not use it. HOWEVER.. because it would be a companion to the Chronological Bible and because I've seen the nuggets you (Wendy) can pull out each day, I would say YES!
4. Yes I would. Why? I have spent a lot of time reading her devotions and now posting of Nuggets from the Chronological Bible. This has given me an insight to her heart for God. Her teaching can really hit home and speak to me at times which I know is God speaking through her into my life. She researches what she says and writes, and prays about it, I feel I can trust her.
5. See #4.
6 and 7. The Title: "Walk with God Daily and make it Personal"

I don't know I'm sure God will give you the perfect Title that will grab the people it needs to. (smile)

I know for me even after reading through last year that the accountability of asking the questions of Old New and Apply as I am reading has really helped me in making the word personal, I'm seeing more as part of my relationship with God not just Gods word. That you know but now I know it for me.
Lynn - OR

Anonymous Lori said...

#1. Favorite author’s or books recommended to me.
#2. To join Wendy in her journey to read through the Bible in one year.
#3. Yes, I would because Wendy had encouraged me to dig deeper during my own personal Bible Study time. She has a sincere love for God’s Word.
#4. I have enjoyed Wendy’s writing style from day-one. The Spirit flows right out of her and God has given her the most amazing ability to bring His Word alive in an easy-to-understand manner.
#5. Yes, definitely-I can’t imagine anyone not enjoying her style of writing.
#7. 365 Days ~ Applying God’s Word to My Life

Blogger Gaylene said...

1. It varies, from what I need, to what looks like an interesting subject, and on who is the author.

2. I purchased the One Year Chronological Bible because I want to how things fit in a historical perspective.

3. Before doing this study with Wendy, my answer would be a maybe. Now, my answer is yes.

4. Wendy is an intellectual who is down to earth in her teachings. This is what makes her writings so interesting. Also, she strives to place God first.

5.Yes, I would recommend purchasing a book by Wendy Pope due to the reason stated in #4.

6. Well, the title is better than some, but um....... not a real grabber for me.

7. This is not my forte; maybe "Digging Deeper".

Gaylene

Anonymous Jane from SC said...

1. Usually the author because I am familiar with their name
2. I purchased this Bible because we were going to use it for our study this year and I love it! Both the study and the Bible
3. I would definitely purchase a companion devotional - the more I can learn as I am reading the Word the better
4. Wendy is awesome - she is so real and shares from her heart. She wants to help us understand the Word and learns right along with us.
5. Yes I would purchase anything written by Wendy - Her devotionals is what made me go to her website last year and found about this online Bible study. Her thoughts are truly God inspired.
6. I like it but how about add Check the Box: Read through the Bible in a Year and Enjoy the Nuggets of truth you find
7. Or maybe How to Understand the Word on a daily basis

I am sure God will lead you to the title that He wants for the book and I cannot wait to get it!!

Anonymous Shari in Illinois said...

Congratulations Wendy!!! Wow what a awesome opportunity.
1. Word of mouth,cover, book review 2. An invitation from Wendy on Proverbs 31 3. Absolutely! It will be a great addition to our Bible Study, 4. Are you kidding me!! haha-- Wendy is an awesome teacher, who has a wonderful spirit, has compassion,and a willingness to commit her time everyday to share Jesus with us. You can see Jesus in her eyes! 5. Absolutely same as #4 6.Title--Read through the Bible in a year and be BLESSED!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I hope this is what you asked for,Wendy. It is from my heart:
1. I buy a book based on the established reputation of the author as a person and as a writer. If that author touches my heart or causes me to learn, he/she is a winner in my book.

2. I saw the offer on Proverbs 31 site. It caught my attention to think of reading the Bible in a chronological order...something different that might stick with me.(Boy, it did !!!!) I also loved Wendy's blog and her articlesfrom Prov. 31. I liked the fact of doing a study online with a woman(like me) leading it! On the day I ordered this particular Bible, I also subscribed to their magazine, and bought Lysa TerKurst' book, "...Bible Study Girl." These women on this staff are awesome women of God...it is obvious in the devotionals they write. I send them to so many women who are struggling with a particular subject that these women write about daily.

3. Definitely!!! I could do the study:read the Word, watch the vlog,take my notes, read the GIG comments then or later. Later that day or before I go to bed, I would love to sit and just have a devotional time (a quiet time with Him only) on the same topic that I had put so much study time into.

4. I would purchase anything that Wendy Pope has written because I know that she is worthy in God's Eyes. Her love for Jesus comes out in her writing; she isn't afraid to be honest about herself... She is a person of integrity as she shares her love of God and His Holy Word. Her writing and her teaching could not be as affective as it is unless it were inspired by God. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 comes to life for me with her teaching and leading. Through THIS study, I am being"throughly equipped for every good work" as never before in my walk with the Lord.

5. Yes, and I already have. My answer is in #4.

6. Wendy, these are just some thoughts:
* This Book Changes Lives...Be Ready!!
* His Word Is All and Enough!
* Take A Walk Through The Truth!
* Draw Near... Through His Word!
* Join Us...You'll Never Be The Same
* The Word Is God!!
* From His Heart To Yours
* No Greater Truth...
* It Is God-breathed

Blogger Deb said...

Awesome Opportunity Wendy!

1. Referral, author, a need, self-help/God help
2. Suggested by Wendy-Proverbs 31 online study using the One Year Chronilogical Bible
3. Yes!
4. She has a passion and a love for God. She digs below the surface to gain insights to God's Word. Applicable insights to our today's walk with the Lord.
5. Yes! She has been very real with us. Admitting her weakness' and struggles and finding hope in the Lord Jesus Christ. I feel this makes her very relateable to all who would read a book she has written.
6. It's Ok....
7. Title ideas:
*Digging Deeper: Finding Golden Nuggets
(A Companion Guide to the One Year Chronilogical Bible)
*Gleaning Insights to God's Word
A guide to walk through the Chronilogical Bible in a Year
*Golden Nuggets: Finding Daily Treasure in God's Word
(a Companion Guide for The One Year Chronilogical Bible)
*Walking With Wendy: A daily Devotion for the One Year Chronilogical Bible
*One A Day for One Year
(Companion Guide for the One Year Chronilogical Bible)
*Camping Out On God's Word

Debbie In Illinois

Blogger Lutiemom said...

1. When I purchase a book, it's generally the author or it's connected to someone/thing that I am currently reading.
2. I purchased the One Year Chronological Bible after reading about it on Prov 31 web page. I was looking for a Bible Study I could participate in on-line.
3. I would definintely purchase a companion devotional to the One Year Chronological Bible.
4. I would purchase a book written by Wendy Pope after following her blog for a year and a half. She writes in a personable way that reaches others; it's as if she is sitting right there talking to you.
5. I would recommend a book written by Wendy Pope for the same reasons as stated in the previous question.
6. aaaaa, the title is OK
7. I don't have a title suggestion at this time.

Love ya, Wendy!
Nancy

Blogger Amy said...

1. My top reason for buying a book is because of the author - if I've read other books by that person and really liked them. Also, if it's something that I'll use constantly or read over and over. If it's a one-time read, I can borrow it from the library.

2. I bought this book because I felt as if I was supposed to be reading along with Wendy during her online one-year challenge. I'd tried to read a regular daily Bible in the past and hadn't been able to do it. I thought that this chronological format sounded interesting and that the accountability would help me.

3. Yes, definitely. There are many devotionals and commentaries, but it would be fabulous to have something in the exact same format that would go deeper into the scriptures we're reading without spending hours looking them up. As important as studying is, we cna't neglect our families, either, and for those of us with big families or small children, time savers are important.

4. I love Wendy's openness and honesty. She shares her conclusions and how she reached them. She pulls together scripture from different parts of the Bible showing us how they fit together just like pieces of a puzzle, and she's encouraging to those of us with less experience than she does - yet real. She understands life and how it works and doesn't lay blame when we don't understand or have questions, but is just encouraging. I think that awesome attitude would come through in this sort of book.

5. See above. Same reasons apply.

6. I must admit, I don't like that title. Makes it sound like it's just something to do and be done with, not something that will inspire you to read and want more. Maybe something about a journey, because this is one, or an adventure, because you'll never know what you'll find in this book. Also, I was just amazed last year at how different and captivating each book of the Bible is - from the soap opera of Genesis to the high seas adventures of Paul in Acts. Maybe that could be used somehow??

7. a)A Daily Dose of Adventure: The One Year Chronological Bible Guide
b) As the Pages Turn: Capturing the Drama of the One Year Chronological Bible

Can't wait to read it, Wendy, no matter what you call it! :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. i buy books for several reasons,.. author i like, catchy title, subject matter...

2. bought the chronological bible after hearing about it on the proberbs 31 web page, after reading a forwarded devotional from a friend.

3.i would absolutely buy the companion to the chronological bible...especially because wendy is authoring it!

4. i would buy any wendy pope book...she is real, a self-discloser,and walks the walk...

5.same as 4.

6. i like the thread with 'digging deeper', or finding nuggets or hidden treasure...

my best to you, wendy!!
amy jane
pa

Anonymous Jennifer--Iowa said...

1. Usually from a recommendation, or just my favorite authors.
2. I read the P31 post in November and thought that sounded great to read the bible WITH OTHERS in 2010.
3. I would LOVE a companion devotional guide to this study.
4. I have loved learning from Wendy, and she is so sincere and honest and teaches so well!
5. I have recommended her to many people.
6. honestly do not like the title because of the "check the box" reference
7. I also liked the threads that went with "Walk with Wendy" or using her terms like "camping out" and "nuggets" because that is what it is about! So much more than a check list!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Author 1st. Title if I don't know the Author.
2. One you recommended for the online reading. I actually had a different one.
3. By you, YES!
4. Authentic, down to earth, everyday type of person. Points me towards Jesus and makes me want to know Him even more, to get depper in the Word, follow Him ect...
5. Definitely!
6.I personally don't care for it. Too long. Not catchy. To be honest not a title that would make me want to by the book if I didn't know the author.
7. Finding Treasure in the Nuggets of Truth. I like the "Nuggets" you used for one of the three questions for our daily readings.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What leads you to purchase a book?
(i.e. author, title, cover)

I would give up chocolate for books. Bookstores are my favorite place. I love the smell, the feel,the promise of books. Truly, some of the best books I have found are covers which caught my eye...but for the most part, I do a bit of research before purchasing a book. Author, title and subject all are considerations, but reviews matter, too. If a review touches me, I will usually purchase the book even if it is not highly rated by all...like wise, if a book has "all the stars" I won't necessarily buy it...I still explore the reviews.

Why did you purchase the One Year Chronological Bible?

I really need to do my testimonial...:)...but in short, Wendy's "challenge/invitation" to read through the word via the P31 Devotional in 2008.

With all the devotional books on the market today, would you purchase a companion devotional to the One Year Chronological Bible?

Since I actually looked for a companion workbook/study this year, I would have to say yes!

Why would you purchase a book written by Wendy Pope?

My familiarity with her and my regard for her as an encourager, teacher, student and reflection of the word.

Would you recommend a book written by Wendy Pope? Why or why not?

I imagine I would. I would be excited to purchase a book written by Wendy, and were it as good as I think it would be, I would not only recommend it, but gift it as well!

Please give brief feedback on this possible title: Check the Box: Read through the Bible in Year

Must echo others here...not thrilled with that title, but I'd probably buy it anyway! :)

Just from a marketing point of view (from a dedicated book shopper) I tend to buy sets...so if not only the cover of your companion matched the cover of the Bible, the name was a close reflection that would be a plus.

I really like the idea already expressed of "digging deeper" so how about "Digging Deeper as we Read God's Word - A Companion Notebook to the One Year Chronological Bible, Reading Through the Bible in a Year.

It's a mouthful...but it is true! That is really what you do, Wendy! You told us early on you love to dig into scripture, and not only do you do that, you have taught us all to do that, too!

God Bless you as you embark on this adventure! Praying a hedge of protection around you as you hear and obey God's plan. I am so glad I read your devotional that day ~ I have been so blessed learning from you!

Liz
Alaska

Blogger Val in KY said...

#1 - author or word of mouth
#2 - I didn't purchase the Bible, but did print the reading plan on-line to follow along
#3 - yes I would purchase a companion to a study, even in this case, if I didn't have the exact Bible or not.
#4 - I have really enjoyed Wendy's vlogs. They are down-to-earth on a conversational level.
#5 - I would recommend her book for the above reason. Her communication-style makes the material very easy to relate.
#6 - not too crazy about the title. "Check the box" makes it sound like something on a to-do list.
#7 - not the creative type in coming up with book titles, but like the other suggestions for nuggets, golden nuggests. Sometimes people do not realize the Bible can be a 'treasure hunt'.

Blessings to you Wendy.
Valerie, Louisville, KY

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. author or recommendation from a friend
2. I purchased this Bible to participate in the on-line study.
3. Yes.
4. I have enjoyed her teaching through this on-line study and have gained so much insight.
5. Based on the on-line study, yes.

Anonymous Nancy said...

#1 There are many reasons why I purchase a book; I have read and like the author, friend recommendation, and sometimes it is because of the cover. I just love reading.
#2 I have tried to read the Bible through in a year before but have not been successful then I read your devotion on November 2, 2009 and decided that was the Bible I needed to help me accomplish my goal. It just made sense to read it in the order things happened.
#3 Yes I would. I enjoy the vlogs but sometimes I need things in writing so I can underline and make personal notes next to the things God is speaking to me about.
#4 I would definitely purchase a book written by Wendy Pope. I can tell by your spirit that comes across on the vlogs that you have a real heart for God and ministering to women (and men).
#5 I would also recommend a book written by Wendy. Again, you have such a wonderful spirit. You allow God to direct your words and I can tell that you bathe your words in prayer. You don’t take the tasks God has given you lightly.
#6 I’m not real crazy about the title. It doesn’t flow off the tongue easily. I like the fact that your site is called “Experiencing the Real Meaning of Free.” Maybe that along with 365 or one year could make a catchy title. The word can truly set us free.

Thanks for all you do!!!
Nancy

Blogger Emily said...

1. I usually will purchase a book if it is by an author that I already know I like, or if someone has recommended it to me (in person or online) and it sounds interesting from the "blurb" on the back cover. Also, I usually try to find it in the library or a book exchange, unless it is a book that I know that I will want to refer back to for study purposes.

2. I received Wendy's devotional through Proverbs 31 about reading through the Bible in 2010, and I accepted her challenge. I have always wanted to read God's word in its entirety, and I have tried and failed in the past, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

3. I would definitely purchase this, since it is by Wendy, and I hope to be reading through this Bible in future years as well. I will say, though, that I would not want a companion guide to be more than $15 or so, just because there are so many wonderful resources online.

4. Wendy's vlog and blog have made the Word come alive to me this year like never before. I have never been this excited in my life to read the Bible every day and then to log on and see what she has to teach from that day's reading! I believe that she has a lot of wisdom and I look forward to learning more from her.

5. Yes, for all the reasons above.

6. I have to agree that the title doesn't grab me, especially the "Check the Box" part.

7. "Bringing God's Word to Life: A Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible"
"Camping Out in God's Word: A Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible"
"Digging Deeper through God's Word: A Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible"

Also, I like Liz's idea of the cover of the Companion Study matching the cover of the actual Bible.

Just my two cents :)
Emily in Dallas, TX

Blogger Karen said...

1) author, recommendation from family or friend, back cover synopsis.
2) It was a New Years resolution in 2009 and I saw the invitation from Wendy to join. I thought "why not?" It has made all the difference and I am on year two.
3) Okay, this answer is from my experience. I prefer the blog because it is interactive. But I think a companion study guide would be a good group study tool for those who are doing this via a different venue.
4) Wendy is a great teacher and her insights are relevant and simple to grasp. They reach people at all levels of "maturity" in their faith walk.
5) see 4
6) Same as others; it doesn't grab 7) Creating a New Heart; the Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT)
Understanding the Word; the Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT)
Life Applications; the Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT)

I also like the cover idea.

Karen, Basel

Anonymous Candy - Berkshire, NY said...

1, author
2. Saw on the Proverbs 31 Ministry site about the chronological bible, became interested then read what Wendy was doing and immediately purchased the bible!
3. I have many times started to read the bible and never got past Genesis. I thought reading the bible chronologically made sense. I am so blessed this year by reading the bible and following Wendy.
4.Yes, as it is iimportant to write down my thought and then keep them from year to year to watch my journey and see how much closer I have come to God.
5.Wendy Pope has belssed me so much with her insight into the biblical passages. She is open, honest and helps me personally with my walk with the Lord.
6. Of course, I would recommend Wendy Pope's book! I have already told many people about her vlog and blogs! Everyone should be blessed by what Wendy writes!
7. Title - It should say chronological, companion and insights.

I can't wait to buy Wendy's book!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Title and the back cover description. Does it speak to me or has it been something I have been seeking? Recommendations as well
2. I saw the invite on P31 devotionals and bought 3 of them, 1 for me and friends. I knew it was exactly what the Lord had been leading me towards.
3. Yes, but I feel your vlogs are a great devotional tool as well and journalizing along with all the nuggets you and the other bloggers add to the reading are a perfect companion for the reading this year!
4.Yes, I love to hear what she has to say! Her insight is always spot on or always gives you something to think about further. She stretches you to dig a little deeper.
5. Yes, I have already recommended her vlogs to people! She is so honest and real!
6. Naw, not crazy about the title. It doesn't come close to the real thing and what the Lord is offering to the readers through Wendy. I will pray and believe the Lord will provide the perfect title to grab those who will be blessed with Wendy's insights!
Bethany -OH

Blogger Ruth said...

1. I purchase books based on content, referral, and back cover info.
2. The Chronological Bible was a gift from my sister-in-law, so we could participate in the Bible study together. I would not have purchased it, if not for this purpose. I have only used the King James Version before.
3. I probably would not have bought a study guide.
4. I would purchase a book written by Wendy, as I believe what she says. If she wrote a book for new mothers, I would not buy it for myself, because mine are 15 and 20. If she wrote a book on Guilt or Being Holy, I would buy it.
5. If Wendy wrote a companion, or transcribed this study, I would want it as a memory. She has touched my heart already on many days.I am sure when I read through it again, I would catch more than I have this time.
Hello, Everybody! Get to know God's Word with Wendy!
or Wendy's Nugget for the Day
I think a companion DVD would sell with your book. Your expressions, and compassion are compelling. Also, in this age, I think the videos keep me on track more than a book alone would. Gleaning nuggets is sometimes hard alone. As a visual learner, this online teaching is for me. Also, an idea would be to have a link in the book to this archived site. The reader could then read the comments, and see your videos. Good luck!! Follow God's path and you'll do right!

Blogger Kimberly said...

1. I am lead to purchase a book b/c of a recommendation from either a friend or something I saw on a website.
2.I came across Wendy's blog and fell in love with the idea and HAD to get involved.
3.Right now I have to say I am not sure I would buy the companion devotional b/c I am so blessed by the vlog! But I am sure it would be a great addition to this bible.
4.Wendy Pope has been given wonderful insight by the Lord and always touches my heart.
5.Yes-I most certainly would! B/c I feel like she is easy to relate to and down to earth and has great lessons from the Lord to share.
6.Not crazy about that title-I like someone else's idea to name it the same as your blog- and I like the idea having it look the same as the cover of the bible.
I think if anyone can do this and apply all the wonderful things that the Lord has taught you Wendy -it is you! I have learned so much and I jump out of bed in the morning to read it. So many of my friends have caught on b/c of my enthusiasm for what I am learning! I am really grateful for it.
Kimberly

Blogger Kristin in Texas said...

1. I usually purchase a book based on the author or word of mouth. Once I find a particular author that I enjoy and can relate to, I tend to read everything that author has printed.
2. I purchased this Bible because I was drawn to the online class to study the Bible. I have the first One Year Bible - but the thought of reading the Bible straight through has always seemed daunting to me. I never make it through Genesis, let alone Exodus. Being Chronological seemed logical to me and in fact, has helped me have the strong desire to complete the year long study.
3. Most definitely. Any additional insight into a study program helps me continue with the program. The blog with this class is more of an accountability issue - but I learn so much more from other people and their insights.
4. I would purchase a book by Wendy Pope because I can relate to her. She seems to have many of the same struggles as I do and reading her and listening to her creates a connection that I can relate to.
5. Yes. I have recommended things by Wendy before. Again, because she is so engaging and easily relates to others. She is no "fake" or out to prove anything. She is true and honest in her love for the Lord and her desire to share that love with others.
6. This title seems too long and drawn out - something more snappy would attract more readers. What that title is - I am not very creative and can't think of anything. Like "Bible in a Year - Let's Go."

Thanks again for all you do - you are an amazing disciple.

Blogger Elizabeth said...

1. Author, subject matter
2. So I could follow along with Wendy's study
3. Yes
4. Because she is a great teacher and I love her approach. She is encouraging and she inspires me to develop a deeper relationship with God through reading the Bible.
5. Yes, definitely!! She writes in a very relatable way, her teaching is practical yet insightful. She opens my eyes to something new each day.
6. I don't think the title adequately conveys how exciting and inspiring I think this companion devotional would be. I think having the companion devotional would make reading the Chronological Bible not just another "to do" but rather something I look forward to each day, like I do the online study.

Blogger Linda said...

1. I usually purchase a book because of my interest in the subject or that it was recommended to me.
2. I found this study through Proverbs 31 ministries daily devotion. I was excited to do this study and wanted to use the same version of the bible that the group was using.
3. Yes, I would be very interested a companion devotional.
4. Yes, I would purchase a book written by Wendy. I am learning so much from this blog and a book would be an extension of that learning.
5. Yes, I would recommend a book written by Wendy. I have recommended this bible study to several friends. I can’t say enough good things about it! I am loving this study.
6. Good title
7. How about- Growing in faith in 365 days
Linda

Blogger Betty said...

1. Title first and then the author.

2. Timing was perfect when I saw the invitation on Proverbs 31 site.

3. Yes, love to dig deeper into the word.

4. Wendy is a woman of faith and promise. Someone who shares from her heart.

5. Yes, by all means.

6. Not crazy about the suggested title.
7. Journey through the Bible with Wendy Pope!
or.... Enjoy Reading Through the Bible in a Year with Wendy Pope.
or.... Explore the Old and the New in a Year with Wendy Pope.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, I was new to your blog until I started reading along with you using the chronological bible.

1. Recommendations by friends/family; author

2. I first read about this version via Wendy's Proverb's 31 devo. and thought I'd try something new!

3. Maybe. I keep notes in a special journal, so perhaps if it was in a "journal" form I may buy it. I Usually write at least 1 page of notes so space would be important.

4.I've come to really enjoy Wendy's "real-ness", if that's a word. :) She has such great insight into the readings and really makes me look at things differently. I'd definately purchase a book by her.

5. Yes, after reading it I'm sure I'd like it and I recommend books that impacted my walk with God. (I've already recommended her blog.)

6.The title is ok....but it doesn't grab my attention.

7. How about this for a title: "Chronological Truths". Obviously the truths in the bible would be chronological..OR something that speaks about the human nature (even when talking about the bible's heroes/heroines) because that makes the bible even more real to others--i.e.: "Truths for Everyday People" or something like that. I love the fact that God chose people....far from perfect.

-Amy V.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy

1. I will often choose a book based on author and word of mouth. The cover is not as important as the little blurb that sums up what that book is about for me

2. Before I was told about your site, I was trying to read the chronological bible on my own and not getting very much out of it - I was so happy to find your blog! So yes - I would definitely purchase a companion book that helped explain the readings.

3. Yes - having followed your blog last year and again this year - I have just learned so much. I love your passion for the Word (I especially love your word studies) and your humbleness to make connections to your own life and your encouragement!

4.Yes for same reasons as #3

5. I think you aren't doing yourself justice with that title...it doesn't get at the heart of what you're about - it doesn't set yourself apart from the other devotionals...You're way more awesome for that title :)

6. "A Nugget of Truth - One Day At a Time" "Learning to Love the Word" I assume FIGS means Friends in God? something with that in the title?

Hope this helps. Love and prayers for your new endeavour,

Jodie

Anonymous Sara, IN said...

* When I purchase a new book I mostly either have read and enjoyed the author before or the title/back cover synopsis intrigues me.
* I Facebook Proverbs 31 Women. I got into the Wendy Pope One Year Bible Study and the One Year Chronological Bible was recommended so I bought it!
* Through this study and her vlog I have grown to love her. She is so down to earth and "real" that she is just like a friend from church.
* I definately would recommend a book written by Wendy Pope. I am always telling gals at church and Sunday School about the One Year Bible Study and how they would just love Wendy. So would highly recommend from experience.
* This title "Check the Box: Read through the Bible in Year and Enjoy" is a little confusing to me.
* Suggestion?: I like the Digging Deeper idea. Also the Journey terminology. So maybe
Joy on the Journey - Digging Deeper for God- Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible.
The GIGs have great ideas!
God bless you as you adventure out on this journey.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I purchase a book based on the author and opinions of people that I respect.
2. My purchase of the OYCB was to increase my understanding, share my thoughts in a nonthreatening environment and the reviews of individuals who have participated.
3. I absolutely would purchase a companion devotional to the OYCB, this has been a truly soul searching experience for me.

4. I have great respect for Wendy, she has a true love of Jesus and you can sense that her inspiration is from Him.
5. I would recommend a book written by Wendy Pope to friends, she makes difficult situations easy to understand and her honesty is sincere.
6. This is an interesting title. Since many times we feel that reading the bible is part of our Christian duty putting the word enjoy in the title may draw more individuals to the book.

Mary Ann

Blogger The Moore family said...

1) word of mouth reccomendation and/or wanting to improve a part of my life or learn something.

2)In hopes of being able to commit to reading the entire Bible in a year. I have attempted this several time before and always given up. I thought a Chronological Bible would be set up in a way that would make reading it easier to understand.

3)To help understand the daily reading and build upon the experience. Devotion books seem to keep me more accountable to the reading.

4) Because I have enjoyed the blog experience and I feel like it serves as a kind of devotion book to the Chronological Bible in itself!

5) She seems very real and eary to understand and identify with.

6)I really like "A Nugget of Truth-One Day at a Time"

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 - Just depends, sometimes it's the author and sometimes it may be the subject matter.
#2 - I read about it on a Proverbs 31 daily devotion and I thought it would be a great way to read thru the bible in a year.
#3 - Yes
#4 - By doing this study with her online, I have learned so much from her. She is truly a woman after God's own heart. She is real and she makes the Word come alive.
#5 - I would definitely recommend Wendy to anyone because of #4
#6 - Don't really like the check the box part - seems kind of like one more thing to check off on our duty list
#7 - I'm not very good at titles but have seen several great suggestions.

Diana
Midland, Texas

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 Author influences me the most when purchasing a book. Next is Title, last is cover.
#2 I ready a devotional Wendy wrote for Encouragement for Today and it really touched me so I followed the link to her blog and found out about the One Year Chronological Bible. I am so glad because it has really blessed me.
#3 I would purchase a companion devotional (if Wendy is the author!)
#4 I have learned so much from Wendy already. She has such a humble, sweet spirit that I know her insights are from the Holy Spirit. She encourages me to dig deeper, and shares resources for us to use. I have read through the Bible before, but I am seeing these readings in a whole new way. The Scripture has really come alive.
#5 I have a friend who has joined me in the readling and watching Wendy's vlog. It has blessed her life as well. I would highly recomomend Wendy's book to my small Bible study group and our larger Women's Bible Study. I would also love to have Wendy come and do a retreat or other event for us.
#6 Title: Some words that came to mind Hidden Treasures in God's Word Uncovering the Pearls God Still Speaks

I am so thankful for your ministry Wendy. God bless you!
Kathy in Indy

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

1. The topic is the selling point for me, followed by the author. I also put a high regard for someone's recommendation.
2. Because I wanted to take part in this study. I'm loving the chronological aspect so far!
3. Yes I would.
4. Because she is an anointed teacher who is obedient to God's call in her life.
5. From what I have heard on her vlogs, yes I would.
6. Not too fond of the check the box thing as if it's a task to do above "buy milk." As we know from the journey this year reading God's Word has turned from I have to read the bible to I get to read the bible.
7. I'm bad at coming up with titles. How about something along the lines of "How to get past Numbers and Leviticus"?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1...Recommendation or subject matter
2...Having the vlog in addition to just me reading...I have learned so much more
3...Yes
4...Yes, hearing from Wendy's vlog and Proverbs 31 devotionals
5...same as above
6...Not crazy about the check the box thing...It is not just reading through (on my own I did not learn as much) , it is the community coming together with input on what the Spirit has spoken to them about what we are reading...Also the accountability of coming here
7...Some of the previous are very good...

HTH...Sue

Anonymous Anonymous said...

6. Wait!! Don't Forget Dessert!! 365 Tasty nuggets -
A Companion Study for the One Year Chronological Bible

sounds yummy like our study!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Author, others recommendations.
2. I have a dear friend that was doing the One Year Chronological Bible with Wendy and she told me to get one and try it because I was having such a hard time enjoying reading God's Word. Wow how that has changed. I'm loving it!
3. Yes because I am loving the Chronological Bible so much.
4. Because I have already learned so much through her vlog and what she posts everyday to share with us.
5. Yes, I would recommend a book by Wendy, God is using her in such a powerful way to teach others.
6. As others have stated, something about "Nuggets" needs to be in there.

7. Suggestion (just that)
"When Nuggets Aren't Enough"

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I usually purchase a book because I have heard about it from someone else or I like the author, so I want their new book.
2. I purchased the Chronological Bible to do the study with you.
3.Yes
4. I would purchase one of
your books because I like how you explains things and you make learning fun.
5.Yes,if I was learning new things from you then I would encourage others to get the book so they could learn and be encouraged too.
7.Possible title might say something about "Digging Deep" that could go along with the nuggets suggestions.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I usually buy a book because I have heard from someone that it is a good read.
2.God had been dealing with me to get into His word for a long time and I saw Wendy's invitation to read through the bible in a year. I know that God led me to this study
3. Yes!
4.Wendy is a very good teacher and I know she is doing what God wants her to do...I think it would be a perfect devotional.
5.Yes. She gets thoughts and "nuggets" that are so helpful to me. She just makes it fun to study.
6.Daily Nuggets from God.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2. Challenge put out on prov 31
3. Yes. Could you make it interactive, where there would be places for you to write your own thoughts in too?
4.trust her teaching
5.absolutely, same as 4.
6.sounds like a to-do list, someone else said that too
7.not real good with that, but there were some good ones suggested

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 Something I'm interested in.
#2 My sister told me about Wendy's blog and I knew it would very helpful in understanding the Word.
#3 Definitly, if it is helpful for me in learning and understanding the Word.
#4 This bible study that she is currently doing has been tremendously helpful to me in understanding the Word.
#5 Definitly, I believe that she loves God with all her heart and is very sincere in everything that she shares with others. She also is very easy to understand. She's great with words.
#6 Great title.

Blogger Nancy said...

1. Author & word of mouth
2. Wanted to read the Bible through in a "story book" fashion
3. Yes, as Wendy's and the blogger's insights have broadened my learning.
4. Yes, because Wendy has a graceful and humble way of teaching God's Word.
5. Yes, because of the previous answer.
6. Not sure about the title.
7. "The Bible in a Year with Wendy and Friends"

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. author and mood that I am in
2. Because you were using this bible for your online study
3. Yes, I think that I would have never kept reading the bible if it wasn't for your online study, so I think that having a companion that was an aide in explaining as well as a devotional owuld be very helpful.
4. I like your style
5. Of course
6. It's an okay title but of course, I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. Will ponder and if something strikes, I 'll let you know.

Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you,Wendy! So excited to see where God takes you with this :)
1- The thing that motivates me most to buy a book is content,and I flip a book over to read what it is about,so I guess the cover would be important.But, you can't judge a book by it's cover!

2-I had been wanting to read the Bible,but could never make sense of it on my own. So, the combo of finding your vlog and the easy read of this Bible was the reason I bought it.

3-Yes,definitely. I am learning so much more by the things you have added than I could have ever done on my own. I enjoy studying the Bible,not just reading through it.

4-Yes,Wendy is a wonderful teacher. She has an excitement for God's word like I have never seen. She loves the Lord and it shines through her in this study. She knows how to bring the Word to life and helps me to see ways to apply it in my every day life.

5-I'm not sure about the title.
But, I think this guide will be the difference in merely reading thru the Bible and actually transform you by learning as you go. "Read,Learn,Grow- A Daily Guide to God's Word"
I am all for a simple title.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Wendy -

I typically purchase a book based on having read other books from that author. I will also buy books if friends or people I trust recommend them.

I purchased the One Year Chronological Bible to join in your bible study.

I would most def purchase a companin devotional to this bible. It would help me alot in understanding what I am reading as you and my fellow bloggers are helping me.

I would "run" to the bookstore to get a book written by Wendy :-) This bible study has been so enjoyable for me. Her insight and transparency have been a blessing to my life.

I'm an accountant so I don't have much of the creativity going on in my brain, I tend to be more analytical BUT that title did not jump off the page for me. I wish I could offer something I thought did, but unfortunately I can't. I think I have the ability to recognize it, just can't come up with it myself.

Best of luck on this endeavor and PLEASE keep us posted

Kelly

Blogger The Wetzel Clan said...

1.) Recommended by a "reliable" source or if the Lord leads me to a book on a topic I've been praying about.

2.) I read about Wendy's Bible study/blog in the P31 Magazine. I've wanted to read the entire Bible for several years now and have failed in the past and thought this study could help me. It has helped me WAY MORE than I ever imagined. Thank you.

3.) Absolutely!!

4.) Wendy has proven her devotion to the Lord to me through this Bible study along with her Biblical knowledge and her compassion for people. She's very encourging, supportive, and humble. A true gift from God.

5.) Yes, I've already recommended her Bible Study/blog to many people. I personally don't recommed any books that I haven't read myself, so I'd have to read it first ;-)

6.) Part of me likes the "check the box" part of the title because I believe reading the entire Bible is a goal most Christians would like to put a check in the box for. I must admit there's a bigger part of me that doesn't like the "check the box" part because it comes across a little impersonal. Sounds like just another duty to be done. I feel this way because I know of too many Christians (I admit I was this way for years) that think just by "showing up at church" they've gotten a check by their name in heaven (or a check in the box) and they're in good standings with God. I wouldn't want people to think that just by being able to "put a check in the box" for reading the entire Bible is enough for them to be in good standing with God. When we read the Word of God we must put it into action and apply it to our life. That's what makes it more meaningful than just any old book.

7.) "Applying Nuggets of truth for a deeper relationship with God" It's a lengthy title, so I'm not sure if that would even work??? But I agree with the others about using "nuggets", "application", and "digging deeper"

I'll be praying for you Wendy. I know you are going to please our God with this new and exciting challenge. Imagine the lives you'll touch through this work! Keep up the great work of encouraging the body of Christ and advancing the kingdom of God.

Blessings from your sister in Christ,
Dawna

Blogger Brandee said...

1. I usually purchase books based on recommendations from others, if I have read other books by the same author and enjoyed them and if they are going to help me in my walk with Christ.

2. I purchased the One Year Chronological Bible because of Wendy leading the study via her blog. I love P31 Ministries and I had never read through the Bible in a year. It was a perfect opportunity to do so.

3. Yes, I would purchase a companion devotion because this is something I do daily.

4. I would purchase a book by Wendy Pope because she has led this study via her blog and the Lord is working through her to teach us all and show us nuggets of His truth. She loves the Lord very much and is a great teacher.

5. Yes, she has done a fabulous job of leading this Bible study.

6. Not too crazy about this title.

7. Some of the other suggestions in the comments are great! I don't have any new ones.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. It could be any of those.

2. I purchased it because I thought it would be an interesting and informative way to read the Bible in a year.

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. Yes, I find her very informative and interesting.

6. Sounds fine to me.

7. I don't have a suggestion.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Usually the title - then I read about the book. Mostly what I am spirtuality looking for at that moment.
2. I purchased the One Year Chronological Bible becuase of the invite to do this study on the Proverbs 31 daily devotion.
3. I would purchase the companion because it would compliment the reading so much - I think i could pull so much more out of the reading with it.
4. I really enjoy listening to her speak on the vlogs and I enjoy reading her thoughts on the daily reading. I have purchased other books of hers in the past.
5. I would definately recommend someone purchasing one of her books. I believe she has a way of helping others see and understand God's word. Also to relate GOd's word to our lives.
6 & 7. I have to admit I'm not real crazy about the title but if it was recommended to go along with the bible I would purchase it. I think the title should someone relate to going deeper in his word and pulling something out of. But I do like the Enjoy in the title. Maybe also something about understanding it. Before I started reading it my concern was I wouldn't be able to understand it anyway so I never read it.

Blogger Jules said...

#1 Word of mouth, author, summary.

#2 I purchased it b/c I had read Wendy' invitation through the daily devotional on Prov.31. After asking around and getting different opinions and thoughts, I bought it. Was looking for a good study Bible.

#3 Sure!

#4 B/c her online Bible study is awesome and well put together! She is such a blessing from the Lord and if her online studies are this good, I'm sure her book would be no different!


#5 Yes! I've already given her online Study out and this book would be no different. She has a love for God and His Word, I would love to share a book by her with others.

#6 Honestly, not real sure about the title. I think it should have something in it to do with "Nuggets". Though I do like Tina's suggestion. Maybe something like "Finding God's nuggets as you learn & grow in His Word." Maybe have subtitle with something about it being a 1 Yr study guide for the chronological Bible. Or something to that effect. :o)

Post a Comment

Home