Time Is In His Hands
"So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place until the nation of Israel had defeated its enemies." (Joshua 10:13)

Do you need more time in the day? Is there ever a time when you need just a little more daylight to accomplish your task? Ask for it. Time is in His hands.

Over a decade ago God called me to radically obey Him and get up before the sun rose to spend time in prayer and in His Word. I obeyed but not wholeheartedly. I have kept my commitment but not without grumbling and complaining along the way. Has the Lord blessed the sleep I "sacrificed?" (if you want to call it a sacrifice) Oh, yes. He has blessed my obedience and trust beyond measure.

My problem was not not wanting to know God better through prayer and His Word. My problem was believing that I could manage the time in my day better than He could. I believed the lie that told me I was in control. I arranged my day. I accomplished much. The lie told me I did not need God for the little details of my day-to-day living. The lie told me I did not need to tithe the first fruits of my day to God. The lie, lied.

Like the Southern Kings, the lie was defeated. Over the last decade I have learned to call on God like Joshua to "let the sun and moon stand still" so that I can accomplish what God has ordained for me to accomplish in the day. It is my objective to be at peace with His timing and not my checklist. Do I believe He has held time in His hands for me? Yes I do. How can that be? "The LORD our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them." (Deuteronomy 29:29) He is God, the great I AM. I am just a little "i am not" enjoying the story of God one day at a time.

Will you trust Him to hold your time in His nailed-scarred hands?



18 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

"You are God"! Wow! Thanks for that beautiful reminder this morning.

I think we'll all be drawn to that verse in scripture this morning. Imagine...more hours in our day. Only God.

There are so many things in all our lives right now that 'only God' can fix, mend, heal, provide etc...

Placing circumstances, cares, concerns, family, friends...me...in His hands. No better place to be.

Love & prayers to you all this morning,
Joy
PS. I was encouraged by Joshua 11:23, that spoke of "rest from war". Whether the battle is physical, emotional etc...the Lord can bring peace. One day my friends...one day!
Also, always enjoy seeing my sister's name in Scripture. Her name is Japhia. She is one of the King's mentioned in Joshua 10:3. Just so you know...her name means "shining light"...and she does...shine His light!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Lovely Ladies of God!

Each morning I eagerly devour your insights on the Word, and on life! Wendy, I am truly loving and benefiting immensely from your teaching gift, and the skillful way you are guiding us through the Bible (my first complete trip!.

A few thoughts today... I too am an early riser, and I do believe that God redeems the time we spend with him throughout the day... i've also found that to be true when i've gone away to women's conferences, that in the natural, i had no time to attend, yet God miraculously makes it all work out! I loosely recall a prayer from my youth..."Thank You God for the ordering of my common life...in particular, thank you for showing me the correct balance of prayer, work, study, eating, exercise, and rest that are right for me; and as i cannot even begin to do this on my own, I thank You, MY God for Your Holy Spirit, who guides me'... selah.... i need to remember to put first things first, to trust God that He'll order the rest, and that I don't need to be 'Holy Ghost Jr' and be in charge of everything!! I also pray that i'll remember that efficiency is a gift from God, and that i should be patient with those who do not have that gift...

God, order my common, daily life, and let everything I do, Sweet Jesus, be offered up to You!

Have a blessed day, my sisters!
amy jane
pennsylvania

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Good Morning everyone,
I might be back later with more comments I just wanted to say thank you to Amy Jane, your prayer from your youth really spoke to me.
I am a obsessive planner, something I am working on letting go of. Trying to find the proper balance of being prepared to be efficent and still allowing God to lead. I am an early riser too, I get up 3 hrs before I go to work to do Bible studies exercise and meals.
In all this I feel that I also need to let go and let God, so I have been seeking His balance on my planning.
Blessings and prayers for everyone.
Lynn - OR

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Good Morning! While reading this morning's scriptures, I too stopped in Joshua 10:12 - 15 and simply wrote "Wow" in the margin. Wendy, I love how you expanded on these scriptures this morning. He truly is God! I simply need to allow him to be the God in my life that He wants and needs to be.

You're right Joy,there are things in my life that only God can fix. Finding balance is one big issue I am dealing with. It was exciting to read your comments, Amy Jane.

Two years ago, I took a pay decrease and decided to take a job closer to home. This change in jobs (middle school math teacher in a larger neighboring town to elementary principal in our small rural school)meant I could spend more time with my own children (I felt the best part of me was given to others...students in particular). During the first year of my new job, we lost our 8 year old to e-coli/hus. I am so thankful that her last year with us, I was able to be a large part of her life.

God is still working on my schedule, this year we are focused on giving God the time He deserves. Honestly, there are days I don't get to everything I had in mind to do...but it's OK.

Wishing you all a beautiful day,
Nancy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I've enjoyed your comments, everyone. Seeing God work in your lives...balance, we all want it. Letting go - Letting God take over. It sounds easy; but for me, 'my control,' gets the better of me. Wendy, you wrote, "to be at peace with His timing and not my checklist." THIS HIT HOME. I'm going to write it on a card and keep it close by! I've always got my check list at hand. I'm an organizer-to-do type person...enjoying myself, keeping busy...God is showing me this. HIS TIMING. Giving my day over to God. How I want to do this more!

The words today, "Surely the LORD fought for Israel that day!" stood out. Joshus prayed for a miracle, "Let the sun stand still"...he believed God...and God gave him his request.

Then again we see "God's ways" evolve...I'm sure Joshua had know idea that God would send a hail storm! God has His ways; now if we could give up our control, turn our situations over to Him...and believe Him. We are in His hands. He's our Father and will take care of all our needs.

Nancy, Thank you for sharing your experience. I can't imagine loosing a child. Knowing that God placed you closer to home...I love that He helps us through and orchestrates our lives.

Letting go...letting God take over today...to be at peace with His timing...oh, I want that so much!Love you dear ladies!
Lori - Mesa, AZ

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning all! Your comments have all hit my heart. Amy Jane - the holy ghost junior remark is so true. Thanks for your great prayer share.
I thought I was a type A - organized gal until I read what Lynn does before work! Wwwhheewww! I'm tired just reading that!
Nancy - my close friend lost a grandchild and she too was an organized, control person. This has changed her immensely. Now, she has slowed way down and her family takes priority. It's been wonderful to see how available she has become to everyone, including God! A good role model for me.

I have been struck by how many times God has told Joshua to be "strong and courageous". I love that. I find it even takes courage to give up my control. Something I'm working on. Help me Jesus!
blessings to you
Morgen - MN

Blogger Chanan said...

Goodmorning All,

Today's reading and comments were all wake up calls for me.

Unlike most of you, I am not a morning person, but I want to be!! I have a yearning for early praise and worship. It seems as though the more I yearn, the more the enemy tries to hold me in bed, especially between the hours of 5am to 7am. Since I've been on this journey, I've been hearing a little voice saying, 'early in the morning shall I rise', but I don't.

Thanks ladies for this wake up call - it is truly the work of the Holy Spirit, and he does a great job.

Early in the mornings will I rise from this day forth - Help me sweet Jesus.

Have a great day all!

p.s I read once that confession is good for the soul - I openly confess!

Blogger Karen said...

Okay, it's only 7:30 am here in CA and already you all are WAY ahead of me! Thank you so much for sharing your hearts and your stories! Chanan, your desire to do as you are prompted is greatly to be admired.

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26

Lynn, you are in MY timezone! You are a morning person personified! Don't forget to rest, God gave us instructions to rest too.

Amy Jane, thank you for sharing your prayer, it is going in my journal.

Nancy, I agree with Lori, I can't imagine losing a child, especially one so young! I am glad you are finding peace in God's arms.

Today all the wars were getting to me, but I trusted that God's plan was perfect. He had a reason to wipe out all those people and all those civilizations, and give the land to Israel. I would think that would also give the people of Israel pause... Follow the will of God! Look what He has the power to do! I noticed also that on the day the sun stood still, the hail from God killed more people than the Israelites killed with their swords... (Joshua 10:11)

I am blessed and refreshed to come here this morning and read all the postings of love, encouragement, and wisdom. You all are great!

Karen, CA

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girls, I can not wait till Open Blog this weekend! God just whispered something to me while I was blow-drying my hair. At first, I tried to put it out my mind...I said to myself...no, Lord, you're not telling me this...but, then I remembered what we all read...We have to obey Him, don't we? Like Lynn, I, too, was drawn to your prayer, Amy Jane-- and that is what struck me-I even copied it down....then, a few minutes ago while blow-drying my hair I heard God's voice out of the blue say something else to me that you wrote down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to pop back in to see if you really wrote it.

I'm scared, but I know He's telling me to do something, out of my comfort zone.

The words from a song hit home, "I step aside..I live for You my God."

Sister's you are blessing me today!
Lori - Mesa, AZ

Blogger Debra said...

To be at peace with HIS timing. That is something I am pondering today also. I need to pray that because that is going on for me right now.
Thank You Lord for you perfect timing!
Prayers and Love for all,
Debra

Blogger Chef Diane said...

I am a lot like Chanan, longing for that morning quiet time, not seeming to get there. My quiet time works for me in the evening since I retired. I get really convicted about it.

Something Wendy said today has been really tugging at me "The lie told me I did not need to tithe the first fruits of my day to God. The lie, lied." OUCH that makes so much sense.

I wanted to share something with the group that I am doing and it might help you. Since we have been so close our blogging and prayers and shares, I felt led to know you more. In my journal I have put down your names, where you live, and various tidbits you have shared. If you have blogs I try to visit them when I have time. As you have prayers and praises I write them down. It has been amazing to watch God work. I feel like I have know you ladies for years. Thank you for your prayers for me and my situation.

Joy, have you painted your toes yet? I did.
Nancy, thank you for leaving your name.:-)
Amy Jane, what a prayer!
Debra, prayer for His timing.

Blessing ladies,
Diane

Blogger Deb said...

Well it's Noon in Illinois! So good afternoon ladies! I have enjoyed your comments today.
The scripture that popped out to me this morning was Joshua speaking to his men, "Dont' ever be afraid or discouraged" Joshua told his men. "Be strong and courageous, for the Lord is going to do this to all of your enemies."
As I reflected on it the word enemies popped out. There are many of them this world that can attack us at any time. Taking control of our day, our time, our plans, our struggles, our desires, trying to control people in our lives, can lead to disaster, sadness, anger, discontent, frustration and separation. I think that's what Satan's plan of attack is for us....is separation from God. At times we try to control soooo much that things get out of control and we wonder why. God is calling us to seek Him first, put him in control of our day and our plans and he will be faithful. He will calm our fears, urge us on through our discouragments, and make us strong and courageous what ever enemy we face in this life. It doesn't mean the pathway will be easy or painless but knowing he is with me at all times even if I cannot feel his presence gives me hope to go on! Again it goes back to obedience and spending time with Him the first of each day. I know when I do He is faithful. I can let go and let go take control so much easier! Praying that any enemies you all may be faced with this day will be met with God's mighty army! Amen!
Debbie in Illinois

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joy,
If you've not yet done those toes...make sure you add a little dainty flower on the big toe! That will top it off, beautifully!
You deserve a special treat!!!

LOVE the journal idea dear Diane...I'm going to select a fun pink-colored one...today! Thanks for sharing this WONDERFUL tid-bit!

Blogger December Rose said...

Sisters, you are an awesome group! I have been so encouraged by all the insights and sharing. Today's reading touched on my own struggle lately... my time has not been my own since coming back from Dad's funeral!! I wonder if I'll ever get caught up at work, at home, settling the estate... However, I'm reading daily and that's what matters, even if I don't have the time to add my own comments. Sometimes I add one 3-4 days later - does anyone ever go back?!?

I needed the reminder that God controls the time, and I need to be a wise steward of the time He has given me. I'm organized, but not a control-freak about it... which is probably good right now or I'd go crazy! lol

I will have to think of it as going to battle with the tasks at hand until they are caught up... and then I will have rest from the war! :)

Nancy, my son died in an accident when he was 15. I treasure all the time I spent with him... just wish it had been more. The 12 year anniversary of my fist husband's death was last weekend, and it was a sad day for me. For my son, his birthday is harder because I think of how old he would be, and what HE could have been. For my husband, the day he died is harder because I think of what WE could have been.

Time heals... and we know Who controls time.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone for your insights and comments. Wow, what a group.

I, like some of you, struggle with getting up early. Sometimes I am able to do it and sometimes the snooze button wins.

Over time however, I have learned something about spending time with God and reading His Word. God knows each of our individual circumstances and our hearts. He alone knows that it is not about what time it is, but that we give Him the firstfruits of the time that we have.

Sometimes this is first thing in the morning; sometimes it is the first free minute that we have in the day. It is often choosing time with God, rather than the internet, the TV, or a magazine.

What God wants is our asking of Him, when is our best time to meet with Him. He will give us the time, if we just ask.

The most important thing, as Wendy said, is that we give Him our time as a gift, not as a check on our "to do" list, or even as a habit that can become an idol itself. God only wants "all" our heart.

Blessings to all of you, and keep the great comments coming.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan,

For every time there is a season...you are right on---as long as we are reading God's Word daily, He will carry us through our season.

I've only been reading the Bible daily since Jan. 1. I read devotionals prior to that and did some Bible Studies using the Bible. Spending time in God's Word has completely blown me away.

Your Dad, your first husband your son...I'm so so sorry.

Your name along with the rest will be in my little pink journal. What an honor it is for me to be praying for each one of you!
Lori - Mesa, AZ

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies,

Love the insights...i've had a few more over the course of the day...

with respect to our discussion of awaking early, and giving God the first fruits of your time, i saw in Josh 9:9, that joshua and his army travelled ALL NIGHT... talk about a change to your schedule! but then they surprised the amorites, threw them into a panic and were victorious... i sure recall a few times i've 'travelled all night' with the Lord, where He wouldn't let me sleep, where i needed to pray all night...and, of course as God would have it, I was victorious in those battles, with God as my Commander in Chief! :)

i also noted the recurrent theme of 'leaving no survivors' as they advanced in battle... seemed pretty morbid and unmerciful to me, but after some thought i've equated it to sin...can't leave even a morsel of it, must annialate it completely, lest it resurface later to re-infect our souls...

a commentary i consulted noted that although this series of conquests seems quick and efficient in our reading, it actually took 7 years... so when i read josh11:23 'so the land finally rested from war'...i took a deep breath... sometimes the seasons of our life are long and tiring and challenging, but Our God delivers us from all of it! Praise God!!

loving spending this time with you all, and HIM,
amy jane
PA

Blogger Amy Carroll said...

Wendy,
I just finished reading your last two posts. Thank you, thank you! I've been writing on similar topics this week, but I needed to read your biblical perspective. Here's to getting up in the dark to meet the Light!

Amy

Post a Comment

Home