"Again the Israelites did evil in the LORD's sight." (Judges 10:6)
How sad that once again we read of the evil done in the sight of the Lord. (Notice the words "in the sight of." Nothing is hidden from Him.) Their evil lead to their misery. Their misery grieved the Lord. (10:16) Sin causes misery and this misery grieves the Lord.
Misery is the Hebrew word `amal. It means to toil, trouble, labour, mischief. I found the meaning of toil to be very interesting: hard and continuous work, exhausting labor or effort. Sin is work. Habitual sin, like that of the Israelites' idol worshiping is exhausting to keep up with. It takes continuous effort to stay involved in sin because one sin leads to another that leads to another. It is toilsome on a person.
As I have seen the cycle of repent, rescue, repeat among the Israelites I have come to the conclusion that they really did not repent at all. True repentance of sin as repentance means in the Bible is to turn back. Basically, turn 180 degrees and don't look back. This is not what happened with the Israelites. They enjoyed their sin, when the going got tough (the toughness was brought on by the Lord) they cried out to the Lord. It appears to me their hearts never really changed. They just wanted a bail out.
I want to be a 180 degree repenter not a rescue crying sinner who calls on God to bail me out of my habitital sin when the going gets too tough. I want to escape the cycle of repent, rescue, and repeat, never to cause the Lord to grieve again.
As I have seen the cycle of repent, rescue, repeat among the Israelites I have come to the conclusion that they really did not repent at all. True repentance of sin as repentance means in the Bible is to turn back. Basically, turn 180 degrees and don't look back. This is not what happened with the Israelites. They enjoyed their sin, when the going got tough (the toughness was brought on by the Lord) they cried out to the Lord. It appears to me their hearts never really changed. They just wanted a bail out.
I want to be a 180 degree repenter not a rescue crying sinner who calls on God to bail me out of my habitital sin when the going gets too tough. I want to escape the cycle of repent, rescue, and repeat, never to cause the Lord to grieve again.






12 Comments:
It's funny...there are times when I'm so thankful that NOTHING is hidden from the Lord...I WANT Him to see all that is going on...and then other times when, like the Israelites, I wish He hadn't just witnessed my reaction, my unkind thought, the words that carelessly flowed from my tongue.
I too underlined that God was grieved by their misery. He also said in verse 13, "I will not rescue you anymore". I can't fathom the thought of being outside the Lord's rescue. I think of an old hymn that asks, "If it had not been for the Lord on my side, tell me where would I be, where would I be?" Thank You Father for the many times You have rescued me.
The story that spoke the most to me today was in Judges 11. Jephthat, because his mother was a prostitute, was chased off the land by his half brothers, yet because he was a mighty warrior, in their time of need, when being attacked by the Ammonites, they suddenly desire his friendship and his fighting prowess.
Jephthat asks, "Why do you come to me now when you're in trouble?" vs.7. They reply in verse 8, "Because we need you."
Being used. Maybe you've been the 'used' or the 'usee' :o) Neither is good. But, then I was wondering. Am I sometimes like that in my relationship with the Lord? Do I sometimes go days without even acknowledging His presence in my life? Then, I'm being "attacked" and suddenly I'm calling for His help and He's hurting, wondering, "Why do you come to Me now when you're in trouble?" And I answer the same way, "Because I need You."
Lord, I can do NOTHING on my own. I need Thee every hour...EVERY hour, minute, second.... Father, help me not to forget or cast You aside and think I can ever stand on my own. In bad times and good times I desperately need Your presence in my life. May my own self-confidence and pride never blind my eyes to my need for You. You are my love, my life, my all. Thank You that even when time goes by and my actions speak that I have forgotten You, You never have me out of Your line of vision. I am the apple of Your eye, precious and honoured in Your sight.
Needing Him,
Joy
It amazes me how many times I come on here and the Lord speaks to me.
Joy, your posting speaks VOLUMES to me. Thank you.
I agree Wendy, sin is work. It is tiring. I think we can get so caught up in it we don't even know how tired we are until we break free from it.
Lord, you are so merciful when we do not deserve it. Praises flow from my heart to you today.
Leaving for a weekend get away with my husband! Yay!
Blessed weekend to all
Morgen - MN
So many times, 'sinning' seems like the easy way out of a situation--avoid speaking the truth because it may be uncomfortable, repeat a lie to avoid confrontation, scream--it gets everybody's attention--but these same 'shortcuts' become a long arduous journey in the desert of hopelessness and despair.
I want to be that 180 degree repenter, too.
Blessings ladies.
"We have sinned against you because we have abandoned you as our God and have served the images of Baal."
(10:10) This repeating pattern is plain to see as we read through the history of the Israelites. We anticipate the next event, cringing to ourselves...knowing the period of distress is around the corner for them.
Nothing is more profound and more harmful than sin. It puts up a wall between us and God.
Lord, as I go about my day today, it is You I seek. You I want to have my thoughts on. You I want to feel. Keep me in Your presence today, dear Lord. I don't want any separation from You. If I hold what you consider an idol and have sin on my heart, please reveal it to me. I want to confess it, repent from it, and get rid of it. You are the only one I want to serve. Thank you Lord, that You are always with me...I love you with all of my heart. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.
Lori - Mesa, AZ
Morgen, Enjoy your weekend get-away!!! Fun, fun! Praying dear sisters for each of you today too. I'm so glad to know you all through this journey we are taking together! Thank you Wendy, for an
grand week of teaching! Through this study, I have noticed my time with the LORD throughout the day has grown. Thinking about all the comments you dear sisters see in His Word gives me more to think about. Reading through God's Word is so fun to do with others'! I love everyone's insights! Thank you dear girlfriends!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY FRIDAY!
Lord, I fall before you this morning begging for you mercy and love. Although I don't mean to sin and fall short of your word, I do. With sin comes fall out and grief as you have shown us over and over in your word. But Lord you also show us grace and mercy,though we are so unworthy. Nothing is hidden from you Father so see me as I am. Forgive me of my sins and break the cycle. I am so thankful you are a God that loves me in the valley and on the mountain top. Please Lord help me remember to do the same. Amen
I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Blessings,
Diane
You all are wonderful! I am crazy about you! Thank you for investing your time in the Word. It does not return void.
I will be leaving town again next week, so you won't hear from me for awhie - but I'll be reading right along with you!
Please pray for me, and my two sisters, as we start the task of going through Dad's things and cleaning the house. We have pre-determined not to allow the settling of the estate to cause a disagreement between us... pray we will honor my father, and love one another above the love of his "stuff".
Lord, all I have is Yours, I need nothing more... let me be an instrument of Your peace.
Blessings to you, sweet sisters... I'll miss our fellowship for the next week (unless I am able to swipe my sister's laptop :)
Susan
We continue to see God's theme of REMEMBER where you came from and what I have brought you through and to. How forgetful we all can be when we get into times of desperation...like the Israelites.
I truly value your insites into today's reading! Wendy and Joy both hit the points I was trying to put into words. You both have done so beautifully. I also appreciate the valadation of all your other insites ladies. We sure are not alone on this journey. Should I dare say Misery loves Company? But sometimes when we are convicted of our own sins it's such a lonely feeling. I look around and compare my self to other believers and think why can't I be more faithful like them. I feel so unworthy of God's forgiveness at times. But he is faithful to do so.
I heard recently on the radio a Proverbs 31 Ministry Moment that said women tend to compete with one another but God didn't create us to compete with one another he created us to complete one another. How true this is when we feel incomplete a sister in Christ's prayers, reminders of God's love and forgiveness can make us feel complete once again. When we put our spiritual gifts together in Ministry we complete one another in Christ's name.
Have you all read the Proverbs 31 Ministries devotion today written by Glynnis Whitwer? "Walking through a Valley". It is soooo good. We keep each other walking on the Journey with our Lord. Thank you all for being so faithful to this study and blog insites it keeps me walking and looking for His insites daily!
Everyone have a great weekend! Morgen enjoy your weekend away with your Hubby...it's so important to take that time with one another away from it all! Love from Debbie in Illinois
I also highlighted "and he was grieved by their misery". I am in awe of God's longsuffering with us as we travel this journey of holiness. I can "ditto" all your comments and prayers!
I long for my life's story to read "again her heart was always after the heart of her father", never perfect but striving for perfection through it all.
Ladies, have a wonderful and safe weekend!
Thanks to all for the opportunity to share our love of the Word.
Blessings!
Debbie - North Carolina
I, too, wish I were the 180 degree turnaround from sin repenter from all things sinful, but sometimes like Paul, I do the very thing I do not wish to do. So although my desire is there, my will is simply not strong enough to pause and lean on God for his help to deliver me from the sin. I believe you can be repentant but still make the same sinful mistakes. I am just so glad that God presses upon my heart to always return to him for his love, grace and mercy.
hi girls,
Debbie said 'Remember where you've come from', and it resonates with me (as does EVERY comment made here...you ladies seem to know my heart!!)
anyway, my daughters are young, and i often refer them back to the beautiful scene in the Lion King, where the father Mufasa's voice comes to the young Simba, who is trying to run from his calling, and says 'REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE'...
I remind them of that frequently....remember you are a child of the Most High God, Who has given you a blessed purpose and a heavenly plan for your life...walk in it....Dear God, help me to help them walk in Your Divinely appointled plan for their lives.... AMEN.
lovingly,
amy jane
Back and forth they go, as long as they have a leader they seem to stay out of trouble but as soon as they are on their own they wonder off and get in trouble. It does seem that they never get to the point to where there dependence is solely on God but on the leader, therefore they fall so easily. Reminds me of someone I know, me. I am tearfully remembering from whence I came and how he actually sent a person into my life at a time when I could not even stand and she helped me through. But like the Isrealites I am back again, and I know this time he wants my dependence on him not man. Bad habit of mine.
I ask for prayer for my husband last week, and he does need prayer, but any time I ask for prayer for a loved one the Lord automatically turns the light onto me and says but Debra what about this hate and anger you have in your heart, and Debra whaat about those lies that you tell your husband because you just can't bear the condemnation anymore, Debra why won't you trust me. Ladies I am so broken right now which is a beautiful thing but please pray that the Lord will restore what the enemy has taken and make me whole. I feel my heart beginning to soften and I am beginning to face some untruths in my life, but it hurts so bad. I just want to be whoever God created me to be so I don't feel like such a complete waste. I am reading the book "Broken Into Beautiful" and it is a wonderful book. I hope you all have a blessed and safe weekend
Your sister in Christ,
Debra Tx.
Post a Comment
Home