A Mark Of Honor
"Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor; only fools insists on quarreling."
Proverbs 20:3


I have never been one who was big on fighting, I have always tried to avoid physical or non-physical confrontations. To be honest anyone could take me down physically and outwit me verbally. (This is where the "in the presence" from yesterdays' post comes in handy.) When I am confronted I freeze, not being able to think quick enough to respond but as soon as the person confronting me leaves I can think of some amazing "I should've saids." Can I get a witness?

The word fight in the original Hebrew is more closely translated as strife. The word strife sheds a new light on the verse. It means vigorous or bitter conflict, discord, or antagonism; to clash; competition or rivalry. As we see more clearly the meaning of the word fight, perhaps like me, you can see yourself. As I see myself, I also see more clearly who I want to be: the exact opposite of strife.

A good antonym for strife is peace. Jesus tells us in the gospel of Matthew that peacemakers are blessed. Solomon says those who advocate peace by avoid strife are honored. This person will have dignity, abundance, reputation and splendor. Seeking peace by staying away from strife has great rewards. The rewards for the peacemaker are blessing and honor, think of the benefit such living would bring to our world.



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Wendy! I loved how you showed us a much deeper meaning of the Proverb through the Hebrew translation. The word "discord" brought me back to this past, Sunday's sermon at our church. We are doing a month series now on UNITY in the church. 15,000 churches (all denominations) are joining together, participating in this series, across the nation. I was wondering, if by chance, any of you all began this series, at your church? :) Our Pastor discussed poisons that cause discord in a church: gossip, slander, judgment, self-serving or centered-ness & short-sided-ness.
Unfortunately, we have a tendency to be divisive. It's powerful! He gave us a quote that I've been thinking about, "The faint echo of subversive whispers, if not quieted, eventually reverberates into the deafening roar of division." He began the sermon with the verse that you shared with us a couple of weeks ago, Wendy: Psalm 133:1, "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in harmony." That is how it was in the beginning with the first church...look what's happened through the years! Zillions of churches...Where/when is all of this strife going to end?
Rev. 7:9, "After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. It's going to end in Heaven! Worshiping the Lamb of God! Can't wait!

I want to advocate peace in my own church, and in my own family... down to every single, extended family member! There is only one hope for me...to cling to God and stay in His Presence!

Choose Joy today dear friends!
Love, Lori - AZ

Anonymous Lori said...

Me again! :)

I got so carried away with talking about church unity I forgot to talk about the verse that stood out to me.
So, I'm back again! :)

Proverbs 20:24
"The LORD directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?" I was just pondering over the fact, that many of us our smack-dab in the middle of situations that, quite frankly, have us overwhelmed! The weights and concerns of our day can crush us.

So....we need to remember what Jesus told us in Matthew 28:20:
He would always be with us.
He would send the Spirit to guide us, keeping us in Truth (John 16:13)
and...that our Father cares for us, so there is no need to be afraid!

God, allow me to let you guide me! Allow me to walk my steps in confidence, knowing that you are directing me where to go! I want to whole-heartedly, pursue your path.

Lori - AZ

Anonymous Morgen said...

This morning my husband and I got a good chuckle from the 2 verses that said it is better to live in a corner of the attic, or in the desert than with a quarrelsome wife! But boy the truth in those words. I know I have been guilty of this one; yet it annoys me when I see it in other women. (Don't we always see in others what we don't like about ourselves?). It shows total lack of respect for my man. I pray that the Lord helps me to recognize when I'm doing it....I do love peace in my home; I didn't see much of it in my parents home growing up and I know there are times when I fall into learned behaviors from my youth. Lord, awaken my conscience to your convictions in this area. Amen.
Morgen

Blogger Chanan said...

I meditated on that scripture for a moment this morning and how true the words are....avoiding strife is not only a mark of honor but also helps one to maintain his/her dignity which may not be attainable after hearing someone speak harsh, soul wrenching and heart breaking words to you, especially if the words are coming from a loved one!!
Then proverbs 20:22 gives us the remedy to combat strife. It instructs us not swear to get even, but wait for the Lord to handle the matter.
'Lord, help me to be a peacemaker and not a troublemaker'.Amen

Be blessed all
Chanan, Bahamas.

p.s wendy, I think you inadvertantly inserted a 1 in the front of the 3, should be proverbs 20:3.

Anonymous lynn Cowell said...

Wendy,
Peace. I would love to have some of that right now! Life with teenagers can some times be anything but! Just this morning as I read this passage as well, I asked the Lord to give the wisdom to usher in that peace in my home.
See you Thursday!
Lynn

Blogger December Rose said...

"The Lord is more pleased when we do what is right and just than when we offer Him sacrifices." Prov 21:3

This proverb spoke to my heart today.

The root problem is "self"; and the problem with this living sacrifice is that it keeps crawling off the altar!

It's not about what I have to offer God - he doesn't "need" anything from me, after all He is God! And I confess that what I put on the altar is usually something "I" am willing to give up; because when God calls me to give it up, that's when I tend to start crawling towards the edge!

God knows my weakness, and He provided the perfect sacrifice so I don’t have to keep beating myself up over my inability to stay put! What pleases God more, is when I desire to do what is right and just (righteous) – to become godly.

His sacrifice, not mine, accomplished all I needed to start a godly transformation. (Wendy wrote on "godly" May 29th.) And you ladies are a significant part of my transformation process! Thanks for all your insights and prayers - you bless me daily!

Blogger Joyful said...

Enjoyed all your comments and insights today friends. Certainly peace is a sought after commodity these days..both outer and inner peace.

Lori, the same verse stood out to me today. I tend to over-analyze everything. I want to know the how, what, where, when and why. I'm looking for reason and purpose to provide explanation. Often times I come up empty. There is no comprehension...no answers...only questions.

To come to a place of contentment in the not knowing is difficult. Acceptance can be a difficult travel. Storms shatter peace and my heart longs for clarity while logic is hiding.

I have to willingly surrender, and frequently blindly trust the path. When nothing is making sense and the next step appears to be going in the opposite direction to my desires, I have to walk it regardless, believing the One who left the imprint of His sandal in the dirt ahead, is guiding my way.

Sometimes I work so hard at understanding...having to know before I go. My feet remain firmly planted, while my stubborn heart awaits clarification, removing all aspects of trust.

Will I abandon reason and simply follow because of the One who calls? That's my desire.

"Talk" to you in the morning again,
Hugs,
Joy

Anonymous Rae said...

I totally agree with December Rose. I was also struck by that verse. You can give and give and give, but if you are not living for the Lord, it doesn't mean much!

Again, I'm loving Proverbs!

Have a great day, Ladies!!

Post a Comment

Home