"Have you never heard? Have you never understood?"
Isaiah 40:28
Isaiah 40:28
Where do we start with this rich scripture? We must start with the word heard. It is more closely translated to the original Hebrew as know. The meaning is absolutely delicious! Yada` means to know, learn to know, perceive and see, find out and discern, distinguish, to know by experience, to recognize, admit, acknowledge confess, to be acquainted with. If there is a hallelujah in you, it should come out right now! "To be acquainted with": have mercy, that is too good.
It is one thing to be able to distinguish, discern, learn to know, and know God. The Israelites could certainly have answered that question with a resounding yes. But the definition of this fabulous word goes deeper. It is deeper than head knowledge or being able to tell the difference between a real god and false god.
The meaning digs into our experience with God. It challenges us to answer the question, "Do I admit, acknowledge and confess God as my God?" Could the Israelites answer that question with a resounding yes? It would be judgmental of me to give an answer but I will say this: the Lord handed them over to their enemies on numerous occasions so they must have been slow learners. God gave them every opportunity and more grace than you can shake a stick at to experience, confess, and be acquainted with Him. He extends the same courtesies to us.
The meaning digs into our experience with God. It challenges us to answer the question, "Do I admit, acknowledge and confess God as my God?" Could the Israelites answer that question with a resounding yes? It would be judgmental of me to give an answer but I will say this: the Lord handed them over to their enemies on numerous occasions so they must have been slow learners. God gave them every opportunity and more grace than you can shake a stick at to experience, confess, and be acquainted with Him. He extends the same courtesies to us.
The purpose of our journey through the Word of God is not cast stones at the Israelites. Our purpose is to allow the Word of God to accomplish its purpose in us. What is the purpose of the Word?
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. "
Hebrews 4:12
Hebrews 4:12
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17
So, what do you know?
P.S. If you think the NLT is good, read Isaiah 40:28-31 in The Message.






9 Comments:
Wendy this has reminded me of a time when I was doing the Henry Blackaby study, "Experiencing God". One day the question in the book included a list of easily over 100 attributes or names of God and the instructions said to circle all the ways that we had personally experienced Him, eg. as healer, provider, God of all comfort etc... Well, I was going through circling so many when all of a sudden I stopped. The question wasn't asking what did I know about God to be true in my head, but how had I experienced, or "known" Him in my life. A huge difference. I had to go back and erase most of my circled answers. It was a real eye-opener for me and led me to a much deeper walk with the Lord.
Just this past weekend as I was praying about reading through His Word this year, I was on my knees asking the Lord to daily help me understand and apply His truths. I don't want to be reading through the Bible in a year just for some form of major accomplishment, nor do I want to be just looking for a phrase or thought that translates into a great piece of writing for my blog. I want to see, know and experience God first hand and hear Him speak to my heart.
Today I was blessed by Isaiah 40:31. I love when God takes a familiar passage and makes it come alive. "But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles." Isaiah 40:31
I was reminded of a time when God literally told me to 'soar'. (Did you know that eagles are the only birds who 'soar'?) Anyway, the whole story is on my blog and I did respond to His call. I've live too much of my life safe not soaring. There is a children's book that asks the reader to 'imagine a day when you don't need wings to soar'. A song I heard recently has lyrics that say, "It's time for you to fly. It's time to soar on eagles wings. Don't be afraid you're not alone, so lift your head up high. It's time for you to fly". God has designed us to live life fully and Christ came to enable us to live out that design. Christ will empower us to live an abundant life. Are we tapping in to all the power that God has made available to us? Have we made personal all that God has made possible?
God has been telling me that it's time for me to fly...and the great thing is...I don't have to put one foot on an airplane to do so. :) I just need to surrender myself to the arms of Christ and He'll carry me to heights unknown.
"Those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles" Isaiah 40:31 (The Message)
Anyone else want to fly with me? :)
Joy
Wendy Do I confess God as my God - YES! Thank you!
Joy - Good points. I too have had a little reflection of why am I reading the Bible. I don't want it to be a check mark on my accomplishments, I want to know God, I want to draw closer to Him by knowing His Word. I got behind and got discouraged for a while, and that's when I had to step back and remind myself of why I was doing this. That's also why if I can post a comment I do and if I don't have time before work it's okay. It's also why I haven't posted a lot on my blogs lately because I want to allow God time to speak to me not just run forward with my own plans. I'm here for His glory not my own. :)
I haven't finished my reading so I better stop and do that.
Everyone have a blessed day.
Lynn
Wow! Wow! Wow! and because of the good work He does in us we can soar!
I've been out of town and out of touch for a few days. It's good to be back! Thank you Wendy and Joy for a wonderful start to my day.
love,
nancy
Great stuff sisters! Yes, Joy I will fly with you :) There was SO much in today's reading. Will is gone to a day camp at church for a few hours this morning. Off to ponder and pray over what we have read. It was just too much for me to comprehend all in one sitting this morning when I first got up.
Have a blessed day ladies~
Brandee, TN
As I am reading back over the passages I wanted to share with you all something from Beth Moore's Esther study in reference to Isaiah 40:31. Beth says that never in our wait time is God inactive! Never when we are praying and waiting on Him is He not working, even when we don't see evidence of it. The key to this verse is putting our hope in the LORD, not in the event that we are praying for to happen. When we put our hope in the EVENT we LOOSE our strength, but when we put our hope in the LORD then we will RENEW our strength. The longer we wait the more He is working. I am not sure if that gives any of you as much hope as it does me, but I have held on to that truth since I heard her say it. Our hope is solely in the Lord, not in the event happening that we are waiting on Him for.
Back to reading...
I loved today's readings! So much about the coming Savior and so many familiar verses that give us a glimpse of promises for us too!
Isaiah 42:13 - From eternity to eternity I am God (El Olam; Eternal God). No one can snatch anyone out of my hand. No one can undo what I have done.
and
Isaiah 43:1-4
1 But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
I gave Egypt as a ransom for your freedom;
I gave Ethiopia and Seba in your place.
4 Others were given in exchange for you.
I traded their lives for yours
because you are precious to me.
You are honored, and I love you.
Such a day of promises of deliverance, peace, redemption, strengthening... I agree with Brandee, it is so much to take in!
Yes Joy, I will fly with you too! My soul is already soaring. Can you feel it?
Isaiah 44: 3-5
3 For I will pour out water to quench your thirst
and to irrigate your parched fields.
And I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants,
and my blessing on your children.
4 They will thrive like watered grass,
like willows on a riverbank.
5 Some will proudly claim, ‘I belong to the Lord.’
Others will say, ‘I am a descendant of Jacob.’
Some will write the Lord’s name on their hands
and will take the name of Israel as their own.
I am writing the Name(s) of the Lord on my hand (El Olam, Qedosh Yisrael - Holy One of Israel, Elohim - Creator God, Yahweh Roi - The Lord is my Shepherd, Yahweh - LORD), just as He has written my name on His hand.
Be blessed today ladies,
Karen, CA
Today's reading humbled me as I read just how big our God is. He is everything/everywhere/all the time. He placed each star in the sky. He created the mountains, knows the weight of the earth, holds the oceans in His hands; etc...
then I read Isaiah 42:10 and He tells me that He has chosen me (little old nothing me) to know, understand and believe in Him. What a merciful, loving, kind and generous God He is. thank you, thank you thank you Lord.
Morgen
I loved this morning's reading it had quite a few of my favorite verses, the ones I go back to time and again for comfort and strength. Isaiah's prophesies are so clear and speak to so much of what we see in our world today.
Wendy thank you for the definitions in Hebrew for the word know. To know about something with your head is so different from being acquainted with something or someone isn't it?
Joy I do want to soar! Imagine that feeling, to jsut fall into the saviour's arms and fly - no fear.
Brandee, thank you for the Beth Moore study insights. I need to be reminded that God is never idle. He is working all things together for the good of His people, all the time.
Karen, WOW you picked out the same two passages that I did. The idea of my life being precious to God - really puts a new prespective on how I operate in the day to day doesn't it?
I also felt Is 44:3-5 speaking loudly to me. That God will pour out His blessings on my children and they will thrive like willows on the riverbank. That they will write the Lord's name on their hands, gives unbelievable promise for the future.
It will be a busy few days at our house as our 14 yr. old daughter, whom I mentioned a couple of days ago, is off for 3 weeks with a group called Street Invaders. I don't know if you have them in the US, but it is in most provinces here in Canada.They are a youth missions org. and they train these kids and then they go out and do street ministry in their own province. We hadn't sent her application in before we found out about the drug use and so she had to put that info on her forms and they accepted her anyway. It was the answer to pray. The theme for this year is 'Making your faith real' and that has been my prayer for all of my kids. To be able to stand up against the temptations of the world they have to have a faith that is their own and not just something their parents do.
Well I have rambled on enough. Thank you for listening, and please pray for Sarah that she will make her faith real over the next 3 weeks and be able to stand strong in the new school year.
Blessings,
Patty
Brandee, thank you for sharing about waiting. "Never when we are praying and waiting on Him is He not working, even when we don't see evidence of it." "The longer we wait the more He is working."
Sitting here waiting to see God's Hand in several circumstances, you have encouraged my heart.
My hope is in Him,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home