The Future
Welcome Encouragement for Today visitors! This day 328 of our exciting Read Through the Bible journey. In January, over 1400 men and women made the commitment to read through God's beautiful story. We invite you to join us. You can purchase the One Year Chronological Bible through Shop P31. I am excited to announce that the journey will be repeated next year. Today's devotion was about about the pattern of repeated sin. Isn't it time we put into place a pattern of repeated obedience? I am so thankful we serve a God who ALWAYS meets us just where we are with an embrace of grace.


"She defiled herself with immorality and gave no thought to her future."

Lamentations 1:9

When I was young I gave no thought to my future ,other than my dreams of marrying a tall blond man with blue eyes, living in a nice house, and having two children. My thoughts did not go beyond my wants, whether the want was immediate or for my future. It was easy to make quick decisions without regards to my future because I was young and invincible or so I thought.

Many of those thoughtless decisions were intercepted by a compassionate and Sovereign God who looked down and took pity on immature young woman. There are days when I literally get physically ill as I reflect back upon my disregard for my future. This disregard was not birthed out of lack of "religion," my Sundays and most Wednesdays were spent at church. My disregard was birthed from not having a "relationship" with God. Salvation was not the issue, dedication was. It was easy to give no regard to my future when I did not value its Author.

Now, as a forty-one year woman I regard my future differently, giving it thought and intention. With purpose I try to make the most of what I have yet embrace what is to come. My future, as well as the future of all God's children is full of hope. It a future that will bring me good and not calamity, prosperity and not loss.

How did I arrive at this place? More religion? More church? More Bible Studies? Speaking for Proverbs 31 Ministries? No. No. No. No. No. The place where I find myself today is a result of regarding the Author of my future as valuable. It is hard to live your life constantly defiling yourself and disregarding your future when you value its Giver.

How do you regard your future?


12 Comments:

Blogger Carol Davis said...

Funny you should ask, I journaled about this yesterday.

God took everything that I ever wanted away from me, to show me the only thing I ever really had. Jesus.

Tough lesson to learn but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Blogger Joyful said...

I tend not to look too far ahead. I regard my future a moment at a time, walking hand-in-hand with Jesus. Just trusting Him with the next moment and then the next. Being a worrier by nature, if I look down the road I become anxious. When that happens I have to pull back and say, Jesus, I'll trust you with this moment...and this one...and this one...etc...and His peace that passes understanding surrounds me and brings hope. Whatever the future holds, I pray I will always surrender to His plans and grow in my love for Him.

I trust you all saw my added comment yesterday. The Lord provided, and my husband did not lose his job in the cut-backs yesterday. Rejoicing.

Today I was struck by this verse: “He has placed a trap in my path and turned me back.” Lamentations 1:13

We usually think of traps as either catching, confining or killing. Traps are generally set for the purpose of holding or hindering. They prevent or stifle movement.

As I read the verse above, my heart rejoiced for the times the Lord has set a trap in my path, not for the purpose of death, but detour. In His love He sets up a roadblock to get me to turn back. Heading away from Him, He sets a saving trap of love.

In Acts 16 the Holy Spirit blocked Paul and Silas twice in their journey. He blocked Balaam and his donkey in their travels. Sometimes a trap isn’t to be overcome, but for us to succumb. It’s for our protection. Heading the wrong way, God is keeping us from unknown pain.

Traps should be welcomed, if God sets them before us. They should serve as a big neon light that warns of danger ahead should we keep pursuing this path.

Today I am praying that God will set a trap in the path of a very dear soul, and that they will heed it and turn back. Specifically, I pray the plans this one had for today will be thwarted. Lord, I need to see a miracle. Please set a saving trap.

Hugs to you all,
Joy

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning Everyone~
The more I read God's Word daily & the more closer my relationship becomes with my Father, the more I anticipate watching for him daily- today and tomorrow, and the rest of however many tomorrow's I have left. Everything that happens to me is because of Him. He knows everything and has everything planned out perfectly. God is perfect. No matter what today brings or tomorrow, He is with me, so I live in hope. It's a feeling of peace knowing in my heart that my Father will never leave me or will never forsake me or will never stop loving me.

Jeremiah's heart is broken, you can hear the pain in his voice as he speaks of the city of Jerusalem in the first person. He tells us why Jerusalem was reduced to nothing, "for the LORD has punished Jerusalem for her many sins." 1:5

Many today live their life in order to gain:
finanacial security
acceptance
material success

Help me LORD not to waste the few short years of the time I have left, seeking worldly approval. Help me not to conform to those around me. I want the heart that Jeremiah had. He truly lived to let the world know about the One True God. What a privilege I have, what a personal freedom I possess. Oh, that I would not take this for granted. Help me be your servant here on earth. Allow those around me to see you coming out of me. May my heart be broken over the sins I see around me. May I not take your presence for granted but seek your glory in everything I do. Thank you for drawing me to you. Amen.

Know matter what unveils before you today, know without a doubt your Father is with you! Enjoy the day! Lori - AZ

PS yeah...PTL, Joy, so happy to hear the news re: your husband!

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Wendy I so understand, and wish I had, had more of a relationship with God sooner, but am so thankful that He was always there waiting for me to run to Him.

Joy so happy for you and your Hubby.

Lori - Great prayer.. AMEN

Just got back from Disneyland and Knott's Berry farm with the Grandkids. It was as we prayed a good time of fellowship and sowing into their lives.
So now I am trying to get back in the grove of things and thankful I have a great job to come back to. Monday as I walked through the door of were I work, I turned on the lights and thanked God for my great job, that affords me the life that I now enjoy. I remind myself often that with all the blessings He bestows upon me, there should never be a doubt of His Love for me and I am Thankful.

Blessings everyone,
Lynn

Blogger Unknown said...

Wendy,

Thank you for your P31 devo and your post today on your blog.

I love the thought of "valuing the Author" of my life.

I certainly do value Him, but did I really show it my actions, words, thoughts.......hmmmmm

I love you!

Thanks for being a light!

Tammy Nischan

Anonymous betty said...

I truly enjoyed reading your devotional and it brought to memory the time when I was going to church and bible study but not really giving God my all in all and eventually I drifted back to my wordly ways and then some. God brought me back to him in what seemed like devastation when only it was a t ime and place where he made me sit down and be still and listen and reflect. For that today i am greatful. I am not perfect but I am wiser, and now I do give the author of my life much more regard, but I am still in a backsliding state trying more and more to be removed from my present situation it is hard and im not ashamed to say it is a huge struggle, but i am also proud to say that in my struggle i remain in faith and trust and love for my father above and I know he will never forsake me and he is right there for me. I will contiue to pray and worship and believe on his every word as he brings me out of this state into a state of renewal and wholeness and righteousness. I dont want to repent and repeat, I just want and need to repent and move on and never turn back again. I pray for forgiveness and newness of life,so I may live again according to Gods will and purpose for my life, I pray for a healing and Dear heavenly Father send your Holy Spirit to restore what is good in my heart, I give God full authority over my life for change.In his most precious sons name,Jesus Christ I repent and I pray Amen...

Blogger Krista said...

just wanted to say thanks for your words published in the P31 devotions this morning. you addressed me right where I am today. thanks for allowing the Lord to speak through you.

Anonymous Kristen Myers said...

Sweet Ladies, I found myself so down today as I read Jeremiah's words. I can't even imagine the pain he must have been feeling, and the mixed feelings of having been the one to deliver this devestating news.

Then his words popped out to me, "Oh, bring the day you promised..."(Lamentations 1:21).

In the midst of our here and now, we can always look to when God will bring the day He promised - the day we will all joyously triumph in heaven. It may also be the day, even each day, where we witness smaller triumphs occurring through His power alone.

Oh, sweet friends, do you realize we will be reading in the New Testament in less than a month? What a day of triumph we will read about soon!

Blogger Deb said...

It's an interesting question Wendy...How do I regard my future?

I too as a child and young person envisioned a better future than I was being raised in. I used to actually think almost a Cinderella like future. If you have a "bad" life growing up that one would have a good life as a grown up. Perhaps this was a wishful fairytale and she lived happily ever after kind of future I so wanted.

Well I did find my shining knight in armor, but certainly it has not been a fairy tale, happily ever after kind of life. (but close)

Our journey has had many twists and turns, detours, and road blocks as a few of you have mentioned. But as we have discussed before it is those times that strenghten us and bring us even into a closer relationship with our heavenly Father and each other. Making the decision to love at those times we are not so loveable has been a saving grace!

I have been given this time to spend daily time in the scriptures because of this blog site of encouragement and fellowshiping with women who travel the same road I am on with Jesus. So refreshing, renewing, and enlightening. I have also been a part of a women's community study group, women's SS class and woman's ministry study group. Wow am I ever renewed in my relationship with the ONE who is my yesterday, my today, my tomorrow and my future.

The last few years I have been peeling the layers of life's past bindings away and trying so very hard not to put them back on again to let life get in the way of that relationship.

I am trying to look Heaven bound or Kingdom bound to really focus on what living my life for Him is all about. The rest of life is just all stuff that creates anxiety, binds us, and keeps us from feeling the peace and freedom we can have in Jesus.

So how do I regard my future? One to keep my eyes upon and look forward to no matter what comes my way as long as I am walking along life's path with Jesus. Trying to keep moving forward and never look back. Yahoo!

Heavenly Father, I ask for your presence in helping me continue to be able to look Kingdom bound. To keep my focus and eyes upon you. Cause it's when I take my eyes off you that life can get in the way of my future and the plans and purpose you have prepared for me. In Jesus Name I pray Amen

Love, from Debbie in Illinois
PS Wendy, such a joy to hear this study in the Chronilogical Bible will be continued next year! So looking forward to the New Testament with all of you as we continue in 2009! Yahoo, let's move forward ladies!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I desire to see the future through the eyes of the Father who has scripted our victories and plans of escape for trails and tribulations. In every fiery test, God's hand is on the thermostat and his eye is on the clock. His ultimate purpose is to make me more and more like him.

Blessings!

Debbie - North Carolina

P.S. - Joy, I'm rejoicing with you...my daughter was waiting on news concerning her job yesterday as well. She's still waiting; I believe no news is good news.

Blogger B His Girl said...

I guess we are late bloomers Wendy. I'm thankful that I live with purpose now. He makes everything beautiful in its time. Great job! B

Blogger Cheri Bunch said...

Hi Wendy~

I just read this! The reason I begin this way is that I sent you a One-Year-Bible yesterday.

I heard you talking to someone about the One Year Chronological Bible at the book table at the conference, and I just couldn't get it out of my mind to send you the Spirit-Filled Daily Devotional Bible. I don't think very many people know about this incredible Bible that I have been reading through for years. Have you ever seen it?

The thing that I love about it is that they have chosen a verse and hi-lighted it and they have a devotion at the beginning that refers to that verse. The writers of the devotions are Spurgon, Moody, Chambers,and more of the classic favorites. There are also modern day writers that have contributed.

There are quotes throughout the reading that are applicable to the daily read.
Another thing that I love is that you read a bit of the Old Testament scriptures, a bit of Psalms, a verse or two of the Psalms, and then of course a chapter or so in the New Testament.

I feel kind of bogged down when I am only in the Old Testament books, such as 1& 2 Chronicles and this helps me keep on course with my goals, to have the other books included in my reading that day.

It is printed in the NKJV, which has become my very favorite.

I can only find it in paperback.

I ordered you one from Amazon and they were temporarily out of stock, they said, but one of their sellers had one. She sent it to me but she sent it book rate and it took so long. Then when I got it I as disappointed to find that the paper sack she had wrapped it in had a lot of green print on the inside and the edges of the Bible have some green stains on them. The back corner of it is banged up a bit.

I was going to start over with the process of getting you a new one, and I have to admit, I just got impatient and sent that one to you. You may just want to set it on a shelf, or pass it on to someone else, but I thought you at least might like to look at it.

I am so sorry that it is not in perfect condition! I don't like to give things away that aren't in the best of shape.

In case you wondering who in the world I am, I was the one who asked you about the reference for the August 1st devotion that you shared in "What to do in the W.A.I.T.".

One last thing that I love about the devotional Bible is that, as a Bible teacher, I love this Bible as a resource. So many times the scriptures from the Old/New Testaments, Psalms, and Proverbs tie together somehow from the daily read. The Holy Spirit had to have His hand in the making of it because it happens over and over and over. I am always to thrilled when I find a thread that links some or all of the passages together.

I hope you don't think I am a crazy lady for sending you all of this information or the Bible. I just love to share the wealth of this treasure with whoever I think my want to know about it.

My e-mail address is cheribunch@gmail.com if you would rather respond to me that way. I also have a blog (that isn't on a very spiritual vein right now because I am sharing about a road trip that my husband and I just went on), I would love for you to come over for a visit. The address is: cheribunch.blogspot.com

Blessings to you, Wendy! I share your passion for Jesus and His Word!

Because He Lives!
Cheri Bunch

Post a Comment

Home