Check Your Pride At The Door
"You have been deceived by your own pride."
Obadiah 1:3

Pride, now that is a hot button for many people. It is defined as a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc. How easy it is to get caught in the pride trap!

In a world where accomplishments equal position and material possessions equal success one has to guard themselves closely as not to form a high or inordinate opinion of superiority. We ought to train ourselves to give all glory to God either verbally or in our spirit when praised or given accolades and honors for achievements. Oh, this difficult. The enemy says:
  • "You deserve praise, you worked hard."
  • "It's about time someone noticed our hard work."
  • "Yes God created you but you are one who actually worked to accomplish this goal."
To stay grounded in this world that demands its definition of success we must know the Truth about the destruction that pride can bring. We can defeat the lies the enemy whispers in our ear by knowing and shouting the truth back in his:

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 13:10
Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.


Proverbs 29:23
A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.

It is truly hard to be humble when you achieve boundless success but it is not completely impossible. Nothing is impossible with the Lord.


10 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Absolutely Wendy! This is a big one for me; pride and self-sufficiency; they bring me down all the time! Right now in my new place and in my new paradigm, God has really worked on my in this. He is my provision. I am in a foreign land with new cultures and ways of doing things, a language barrier, even simple grocery shopping is not so easy! I am away from my family and I don't feel so competent or capable. God has forced me to rely on Him and EVERY success I have is due to Him.

Yesterday I was on a teleconference with someone I work with at a remote site. This person wanted the job I got and takes a lot of opportunity to point out things I don't know yet, or decisions I am making that are contrary to the ones they would make. This person uses information as power. God whispered to me throughout the conversation to remain humble; to not rise to the bait, that He had prepared me for such a time as this and that I was on the phone for another purpose; to give this person some relief from their insecurity and to treat them with respect. Then they could witness God in me. It was really hard! I wanted to drag out all my qualifications and let this person know all the hard work that got me here, AND that it was not so easy being here! I wanted to rest on my laurels. But I listened to God's voice in my heart and followed His lead. No pride, humility; no self-sufficiency, leaning on Him; showing love to a "sandpaper" person in my life.... baby steps, but it is working.

Thank you again for such a thought provoking post!

Karen, Basel

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning Ladies!
Karen-Oh, Christ is coming out of you, sister! PTL! ...and I totally agree with you, also, Wendy!

God continues to work with me in the area of pride! A verse that I say over and over: "We demolish arguments and every PRETENSION that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Cor. 10:5
PRETENTION: bragger, conceit, egotis, haughtiness, loftiness, pride self-importance, self-love, smugness, vane
The opposite: humble, meekness, servility!

The Edomites remained self-sufficient and they were not interested in following God; they ignored Obadiah's warning.
Gal. 6:7 "A man reaps what he sows."

Only with the LORD, am I able to be humble & willing to serve those around me! When my prideful thoughts sneak right in, I have to immediately take them "captive!" God is a God of justice. Time and time again He brings to light the pride in my heart!

Happy Friday everyone! Another quick week!!! Thank you, Wendy, for serving us, daily!

Love and prayer's coming your way.
Extra ones for you, Joy!
Lori - AZ

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that pride is the toughest sin for me to truly repent of. I recognize it; I ask forgiveness for it; and yet it rears it's ugly head time and time again. Proverbs 13:10 spoke to me: Pride only breeds quarrels. I grew up in a home where my parents quarrelled constantly. Ugh. But now, guess what? I find myself defensive, quarrelsome, and mean when confronted. I loved Karen's approach with her collegue - listening for that quiet nudging of the spirit to lead her before she opened her mouth.
Tried and convicted.
Morgen - MN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow thanks for that word...I need to remember that with hubby, Proverbs 13:10 - pride only breeds quarrels...I need to submit :-) Thanks for the word today

Blogger Deb said...

Good Morning Joy! Went back to yesterdays posts and read your cry for prayer support.

Heavenly Father, We lift up Joy's nephew and ask that you help him to realize the errors of his ways and what it has cost him...his family and so much more we judge. We ask that you prepare his mind, his heart and his spirit this day. I also lift up his wife and children and ask them to meet them where their needs are for you know what they are. Help them be aware of your presence, your love, your comfort and your peace. I ask that you be with Joy and all those who support this family. We lift up the events of this coming Sunday and pray that your strong presence be known. In Jesus Name we pray...Amen

Thanks Wendy for finding this nugget in todays reading. It's so hard to not want. sometimes need, accolades for a job well done...when the glory belongs to God. We are his instrument, his tool, his hands and his feet to accomplisih his missions. I trust if we keep looking Kingdom bound, knowing our reward will be in heaven, this should help us not be so needy of the praise of others. Praying that in all that we do Christ's light shines brightly enough to point the way to the Father.

Karen I judge we all have sandpaper people in our lives. It's as if our spirits just seem to clash. Your witness this morning reminded me to listen to that still small voice of the Holy Spirit...that my voice of response, in anger and frustration, does not drown HIM out! Be still (abandon that what frustrates me) and Know that God is in control! So I need to let him be in control of my emotions and feelings and what comes out of my mouth! "Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff and hush me when I've said enough!" Amen.

Thank-you Karen for sharing this fresh life experience with us this morning.

Love from Debbie in Illinois

Blogger Joyful said...

Wendy, I underlined that verse as well. It was pride that made Satan fall. The theme of pride seems to be all over our readings lately. As I shared, I wrote about it on Tuesday. Oh to be filled with His humility.

Today, phrases like, "we are exhasted but are given no rest"; "Joy has left our hearts"; "Our hearts are sick and weary, and our eyes grow dim with tears" all describe my family's emotions. We are so tired.

God has been so merciful (like I shared in my post yesterday) and provided in such wonderful ways lately re: my dad and my husband's job, yet before we can get out of one situation, another one has already attacked and consumed. As I shared late last night in yesterday's comments, our family has been devastated by my nephew abandoning his wife and family...and even worse...his God. The manipulation, lies, secrecy, adultary, lust, evil etc...that we are only beginning to uncover are all so sickening...and now he is threatening his wife (who is a gem and we support 100%) with taking the children (ages 11 and 6). I have never seen anyone so consumed with evil, leading such a double-life. He even claims to be President and CEO of a company no-one knew anythin about...but we found the website! We don't know him at all. I couldn't possibly share here all we have discovered...it is too repulsive. He is already living with another girl and engaged to be married. Our heads are spinning. They desperately need prayer...especially this weekend as he has planned to do something so cruel Sunday night. Praying God will miraculously intervene.

I can't even think to write my posts these days. I'm just crying out to the Lord. Sorry girls...but thanks for listening.

"But LORD, you remain the same forever!" Lamentations 5:19.
Holding on to Him,
Joy

Blogger Joyful said...

Deb...we were commenting at the same time. THANK YOU for your prayer.
Hugs,
Joy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is time for a cyber group hug (((((Wendy/Karen/Lori/Morgen/Debbie/Joy/everyone else reading)))))

Precious Lord, while we are in this huddle, we lift up our sister Joy and her family. We trust in you Lord, and we know that you teach us through trial and suffering we are blessed. We know your plan for us all is always good and nothing is impossible for you. We lift Joy and her loved ones up to you Lord - please hold them close and help them walk in peace during this time of pain and darkness. They need you so. Amen!

What amazing posts this morning!

I clearly hear God speaking through each of you and it blesses me. I can feel us all growing in Him...can't you?! :)

The other day I mentioned I read a daily devotional in addition to our study - this week the theme has been self-control - asking God to fill you with the fruit of the spirit when you are tempted to do or say something against his word. Lines right up with the lessons we are sharing!

Lord Jesus, forgive me for the times I failed to invite you to celebrations of the accomplishments of my life - the life You gave me and the accomplishments You made possible, for without You I am nothing but dust. I pray Lord for you to fill me today with the fruit of your Spirit that others might see You in me as we walk together.

Humbly and with pride in check,
Liz
AK

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ladies,

I add my voice in agreement with all your prayers for Joy's situation. Our God is the God of the impossible and can change circumstances and hearts in an instant. Praying for His wisdom, counsel, strength and comfort at this time.

The thought ringing through my head today is who am I trying to make proud. I am a people pleaser to the max and have a hard time making decisions without consulting a hundred people first and then agonizing over making a final decision - fearing to make a mistake, to hurt someones feelings, to not be "perfect".

Lord help me to develop a heart that desires only to please You. Help me silence the fears and worries of what others want or will think about me and see that You are the way, the truth and the life and that I can trust You to show me the right path. Help me turn to You in all things and live out a life that glorifies You and not me. Amen.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Jodie
39.5 weeks and waiting. Thumper is due on Tues...

Blogger Karen said...

Jodie! How exciting! Let us know who Thumper really is... :)

Thank you too for your prayers, they were great.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Karen

Post a Comment

Home