"Sanballat was very angry when he learned that we were rebuilding the wall. He flew into a rage and
mocked the Jews."
Nehemiah 4:1
mocked the Jews."
Nehemiah 4:1
We met some bullies today, some mean people. All they wanted to do was stir up trouble for the Jews and cause them not to complete their project. Our reading said they "mocked" and "intimidated" them. They made fun of them and their goal.
Have you ever been mocked or intimated by someone? Have you ever been the one doing the mocking or the intimidating? (Ouch!) I have a confession, the second question was painful to reflect upon. There have been times in my life that have been on both the receiving and the giving of mockery and intimidation.
I love the clear and applicable message Nehemiah gives us in our reading today. He outlined beautifully what to do when we are being bullied or treated badly.
First: pray.
Did you noticed as soon as the trouble started Nehemiah went to the Lord in prayer? He told them. It relieves the pressure and pain when we can tell someone about our trouble. Nehemiah told The Someone who could do something about the problem. Sometimes praying is our last resort when it should be our first response.
Second: Recognize it is not your fight.
Nehemiah encourages the discouraged Jews by telling them "God would fight for them." Oh, what a powerful truth. The battle belongs to the Lord. He will fight for us. If we could learn to live this truth the bullies in our lives would have a lot less power over us.
Third: Always carry our weapon.
When the "mockers" turned up the heat, and the insults and threats became more intense the Jews carried weapons. Along with prayer and tattle-taling, they kept a weapon of defense with them at all times. I can see them now, working with one hand and ready to wield their weapon with the other. Our weapon of defense is God's Word. The lesson here is to keep a copy of God's Word close by. Have the Word etched in our memory bank and be ready to wield it at any time.
Through the changing power of the Holy Spirit I can say that I am no longer one of those "mean people." There are times when the shame of things that I did and said to others begins to taunt me. In these times I keep working with one hand and wield my weapon to slay my enemy with the other.
Through the changing power of the Holy Spirit I can say that I am no longer one of those "mean people." There are times when the shame of things that I did and said to others begins to taunt me. In these times I keep working with one hand and wield my weapon to slay my enemy with the other.






14 Comments:
Wendy, I underlined all the same verses and highlighted all the same thoughts today.
I had to inwardly chuckle as I read Nehemiah's prayer in chapter 4, "Hear us, our God, for we are being mocked. May their scoffing fall back on their own heads, and may they themselves become captives in a foreign land!"
As I read this verse of scripture, my head heard another voice. It was that of Richard Gere playing the role of “Ike” in “Runaway Bride”. I don’t know how many of you have seen that movie, but believe it or not, the Lord used this Hollywood production to teach me so many truths.
The verse above had my mind recall the scene at the rehearsal dinner. Toasts were being given to “Maggie”, the bride, played by Julia Roberts, but all of them were sarcastic and cruel. Those speaking thought they were being funny as they highlighted all her flaws in jest, but their words were cutting deep. Ike, the reporter, sees past Maggie’s smile and embarrassment to the pain in her heart. He stands to give his own toast, not to the bride, but to those attending the luau who had been mocking her.
“May you find yourselves the bulls eye of an easy target, may you be publicly flogged for all your bad choices, and may your noses be rubbed in all your mistakes.”
Mocking. Do you know that word is defined as “abusing vocally”? Teasing. Taunting. Ridicule. Treat with contempt. There’s nothing amusing about this derisive language. It is a deliberate action to inflict pain and is usually sourced in envy.
Ike’s desire was similar to Nehemiah’s. He wanted to see the mocker’s brought to shame. Mockery places someone over you as a superior. The speech might be slight and subtle, yet it remains sharp and causes internal bleeding of emotions.
Have you ever been the target of this vicious cruelty? You don’t stand alone. Christ Himself was mocked. Matthew 27:28-29 says, “They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. ‘Hail, king of the Jews!’ they said.”
Truth can never truly be harmed by mockery. It can be used as a distinguishing tool between fact and fiction.
How did Jesus handle mockery? He did the same thing as Nehemiah. First He committed it to His Father. 1 Peter 2:23 says, “He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly.” Christ’s character was visibly seen against a background of mockery.
What would be the opposite of mocking? When mocking someone we are drawing extra attention to them using speech in a negative way. Maybe the opposite would be to ignore them completely. Ignoring what Christ has done for us might cause Him more pain than those who scorned His crucifixion. Neglecting spending time with Him…our silence…may bring more misery than any mocking. Something to consider.
"Let your speech be always with grace..." Colossians 4:6,
Joy
Good morning Wendy and Joy. You both have touched on something I believe we can all relate to. I need to mark today's verses for future reference. Many times in our own lives we experience those who scoff us or find ourselves in company that want us to join the scoffing of others.
This reminds me of one of my favorite Eleanor Roosevelt quotes,
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
I admire Nehemiah's ability to stay focused on the job set before him. Nehemiah was not fooled by the plot of others; he knew the calling of God and was not thwarted off the goal. Nehmeiah didn't let the plots of others keep him from completing his goal.
It's my prayer today that I am not found to be a "people pleaser" but rather a "God pleaser".
nancy
Good reads ladies. I have struggled with these types of verses that wish harm on others - is it okay to pray to God that the accuser/abuser gets his due? I understand the desire to pray this way, but it never feels right in my gut.
Nehemiah's faith amazes me. Lord, to have have like his.
Happy Friday
Morgen
"faith" is what I meant to say!
Morgen
Morning Ladies~
I first have to say how sweet it was to read about the Glory, before going to bed, that you both shared yesterday (Patty & Joy.)
It came on a day most needed! I feel God's Spirit as He is speaking out of all of you sister's. He even times the sharing of His Glory. He is All-Knowing. And, just like Diane said, "it blessed my soul!" :)
Oh, Nehemiah---such a man of faith. What stuck out to me was his loving way, vs. a judgmental attitude. As he confessed the Israelites' sins, he even included himself. He was an encourager, too.
When it really sinks into the marrow of our bone that God is the One who allows the opposition, only then, will we not be critical of others but will look to the Word of God to see what he expects of us. He is in control of everything. He will also show us how to pray for them.
To seek, not my own will, but the will of my Father. Is my first concern in prayer to glorify God or is it self-centered?
Wendy, I always love how you explain things so practically through lists!
*PRAY
*It's not our fight!
*Have God's Word at our fingertips...and memorized in our hearts.
Oh dear sisters, may God fill you with joy and peace today as you attend to your day. Praying, Wendy that your mama is recovering and feeling strength from our Father. Thank you sweet sisters for blessing me this week! Love each of you so dearly! Lori - AZ
Morning sisters,
I just got done reading chapter 4 and had to stop and read all your comments before going on. I circled the words "but we prayed" in verse 9. As you sisters said, prayer should be our first response, not a last resort.
God opened my mind up this morning as I read this chapter. I associated it with our own spiritual battles we face as we join together to build walls, walls of prayer around ourselves, around our families, schools, communities, nation and the list could go on and on. These people stood side by side each having their particular part to build, just as we in the body of Christ have our own section of wall to build. Some of us are called to build the Fish Gate (3:3), some to build the Tower of Ovens (3:11), some to build the Fountain Gate (3:15), you get the idea :) When they were threatened they went to God and placed it at His feet and said protect us, help us. They carried on their work, even under threat but they had one hand on their weapon (4:17), as should we. Even when we are made fun of, not understood, etc we need to continue on in our work and hold on the Word. We need to "have a sword belted to our side" (4:18) and like them, never take off our clothes (4:23). Always wearing our full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18). We have a very real enemy too that wants to attack us and tear down what we are building! I choose to carry my weapons at all times though (4:23), holding my sword of the spirit and my shield of faith. I am believing God!
Have a great day sisters! It is rainy here in TN, but I am headed out to a new grocery store. I am going to The Whole Foods Market for the first time to try to get me some food to eat on this new eating plan and get my boys some better alternatives to the junk food they love so much :)
In Him,
Brandee
I also thank you Wendy for your lists... so much easier to write down and store in our minds and hearts.
I wrote down 3 Nehemiah passages this morning that spoke to me. Two I believe were covered by your posts this morning gals.
Nehemiah 4:14 and Nehemiah 5:9
Nehemiah 5:13 was another that spoke to me about his character. He demonstrates confidence in his faith and leadership as a prophet. He once again holds a group of the community accountable for their actions and calls them to rise above their pettiness in charging interest and promise this will stop!
He goes one step further and assembles them before the temple to assure that their promise will be carried out.
"I shook out the folds of my robe and said, If you fail to keep your promise, may God shake you like this from your homes and from your property! The whole assembly responded, "AMEN" and the people did as they had promised."
Nehemiah's message is to stay strong, have faith and trust in our God, keep our eyes on the Kingdom, keep on the path of righteousness...continue to be in relationship with God. Don't let others who mock or try to trick you lead you astray.
Keep our eyes, our hearts and our spirits focused upon the one who is in control and has the whole picture. Life too often gets in the way and blurs our vision of the Kingdom...our ultimate goal.
I have recently had some Ezra experiences in how I should be dealing with a person in my life that I would just a soon not have a relationship with. He has placed Ezras in my life (with in a week's time) for such a time as this:
1. I got a surprise call from my 81 yr. old High School Sunday school Teacher. (She was my teacher over 35 yrs. ago! But we have connected several times over the years.) We met for breakfast and I shared my thoughts about this person with her. She shared with me that walking away was not what she judged the Lord calls us to do. She shared an experience with her own daughter and said she has learned to "rise above" to see the bigger picture. To listen instead of react without listening.
2. My best friend was sharing an issue with me about some co-workers she was struggling with and that she has learned to "rise above" the situation and let things go and not take things so personally. She has found more peace in doing so.
3. Yesterday my daily devotion was talking about temptation but once again I heard the message of "rise above" "Yet many of us suffer from temptations we should never have to suffer, simply because we have refused to allow God to lift us to a higher level..."
OK I think I get the message loud and clear...So "rise above" our circumstances ladies and know there is hope when the Lord is involved...cause he knows the whole picture and it is his battle to fight. Have a peaceful weekend.
Love, Debbie in Illinois
Brandee,
You will love whole Foods (but it is expensive)!
Thanks everyone for your comments. I also was struck by their working with one hand supporting the load and the other on their weapon. They also never took off their clothes day or night. Like Ephesians 6 tells us to put on the full armor of God, we are not to take it off.
What struck me today was the provision that Nehemiah and his governors gave to the people: 17 I asked for nothing, even though I regularly fed 150 Jewish officials at my table, besides all the visitors from other lands!
Nehemiah 5:18
The provisions I paid for each day included one ox, six choice sheep or goats, and a large number of poultry. And every ten days we needed a large supply of all kinds of wine. Yet I refused to claim the governor’s food allowance because the people already carried a heavy burden.
This is reminiscent of Acts 4:
32All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had.
34There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.
We are to provide for our neighbors needs, thereby distributing the grace of God in ts various forms. We are to trust God to fill the void so we do not add unnecessary burden to ourselves or those around us lest we hear the same cry as is found in Nehemiah 5:5 "We belong to the same family as those who are wealthy, and our children are just like theirs. Yet we must sell our children into slavery just to get enough money to live. We have already sold some of our daughters, and we are helpless to do anything about it, for our fields and vineyards are already mortgaged to others.”
Praying for a generous heart today,
Karen, CA
Good Morning all,
I just am overwhelmed at God's goodness. His perfect timing is so amazing!
I really needed to hear this today.
First: pray
Second : recognize this is not your fight.
Third : always carry your weapon, which is the word of God.
Thank you Wendy for putting this out so clearly.
I have been trying to get a parents of teens group going at our church. The youth pastor and I both have had strong feelings that this is the Lord's direction and His will. Tonight will be the second week. Last week another mom and I met together to pray and it was a good time of prayer and sharing.
The list you wrote about this morning gives me fresh perspective, I don't have to worry about how many people come or don't come. It is God's fight and He will see to it that I have the provision I need. Maybe I need a quiet couple of hours to just be alone with God.
Joy, I was so happy to hear about your parent's good news and also your neice's. God is so good!
Lori I really liked what you said about how God allows the opposition and our first reaction needs to be looking to God's word for the answers. Not with anger and criticism.
Have a great day and looking forward to a beautiful weekend.
Patty
Good morning, Wendy and All of you
I have been so blessed by all the observations and scripture today. I am at home, so go back and forth between my tasks at hand and your posts. Thank you! I look forward to each Friday when the pace is a little slower and I can actually bask in the reading of the day.
Wishing you a restful weekend. Praying for your mom still Wendy, and all the praises and requests listed too...
Marianne
Love your new look!
Hi ladies,
I am going to ask for your continued prayers...still struggling with breastfeeding and mood issues. I have been through clincial depression in the past and I feel very on the edge these days. Today's reading reminds me that much of what I am hearing in my head is the devil mocking me...trying to get me to give up, to believe I am a bad mom, that it will never get better, etc etc.
So I ask for your prayers for deliverance from these thoughts, prayers for healing from this stiff neck/shoulders, for the Holy Spirit's guidance and some of the Father's love.
Many thanks to everyone who is praying for me, my beautiful Elliot and my dear husband.
Jodie
Good insights today. Why is it so often that prayer is my last resort. Why do I typically try to fix it myself first? Hmm...
All you ladies inspire me so much...starting with you, Wendy. My what an huge undertaking for a busy mother and house wife, and speaker and author, and..... how many hats you must wear!
Everyone's comments speak to my heart so very much. Some days more than others, but I look forward to your insights into God's Word.
Though I don't post much, I wouldn't miss this blog for anything...even when I am away from home I make sure I use someone's computer to keep up with my "sisters" and their lives and prayer requests. I feel so close to some of you, and just think what a "reunion" there will be n heaven when we all meet for the first time. Whoever gets there first, please post a sign about "Wendy's girls" so we will know where to meet. (Isn't it fun to be silly sometimes?)
Jodie, you hang in there, don't give in to the devil. There are so many praying for you...you WILL make it. If you are having problems with depression, talk to the Dr soon...don't let it get ahead of you. Many new mommies have it...it isn't just you. There is no shame in admitting it.
Is there a support group for nursing mothers that you could connect with? That would give you such encouragement.
Everyone have a wonderful weekend.
Jan TN
Post a Comment
Home