What God Allows
"Because of all this, the LORD his God allowed the king of Aram to defeat Ahaz and to exile large numbers of his people to Damascus.
2 Chronicles 28:5



My Take Aways

Something Old:
2 Chronicles 28:1-15
God allows us to be defeated to draw us back to Him.

God will only allow our enemy to go so far.
God expects us to show mercy to our enemies.

Matthew 5:44
"But I say love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! "(NIV)

"I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives His best... "(The Message)

Something New:
Isaiah 7:9b
"Unless your faith is firm, I cannot make you stand firm."
I love new verses!!!
Help me make my faith firm, dear Lord.

Something to Do:
Be more aware of how I treat my enemies, those who persecute me.

Hi FIGs

I said the wrong day number in the vlog. I am recording for next week and was looking at next Wednesday instead of this Wednesday. Today is day 174. Sorry for the confusion.


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from Paris! We arrived here late yesterday and will spend until friday morning here...there is such "oldness" here in Europe. I have seen so much of God's creation...and I realize just how tiny of an amount it is. God is HUGE! i am small.
I have been reading along...but not finding time to watch the vlogs or read the posts....but hey, I'm in Paris! So I will give me task-master self some slack.

In today's reading I underlined the words: "Attention! Let all the people of the world listen! Look! The Lord is coming!"
Depending on what you believe; those words thrill you (me); or scare you. May we help spread the Gospel before it's too late.

In Isaiah 7 I LOVED the prophesy of Jesus! Hundreds of years before He arrived; God gave those words to Isaiah. And then it happened exactly as Isaiah said it would. God says it; it will happen.

Blessed Wednesday to my GIG! I have to get ready for breakfast...and then head to to explore Paris!

Praising Him across the ocean
Morgen

Blogger Karen said...

Welcome to Paris Morgen! I am glad your trip is meeting your expectations! I also hope the weather cooperated better in other regions than it did in Switzerland!

What struck me today in Micah was all the names of the cities that sounded like characteristics later used in the same verse to describe the Lord's anger with them. I found it an interesting excercise and wondered how people could listen to this prophesy and not see how personal it was!

Wendy, I also liked the part of 2 Chronicles 28:14 where some of the leaders responded to the words of Obed and repented of their deeds by helping the captives; giving them clothes, food, drink and dressing their wounds. There is so much in the NT about loving your neighbor and helping the poor who will always be with us. We need to remember those around us in need are our bothers and sisters. We are not to treat them harshly, enslave them, kill them, or make them our captives. Good thoughts for me today.

Happy Wednesday! Enjoy Paris Morgen!

Karen, Basel

Blogger Amy said...

Wendy, thinking about your 'neighborly' comments about enemies and my dad's work situation today. It seems so easy when reading about it but so hard when you're actually there ....

Morgen, what an amazing trip that must be!

I liked the 'firm faith' verse, as well. :-) Sounds like it should be stitched on a sampler or something. ;-)

2 Kings 15:34-35 It's not enough to do the right thing ourselves; we must try to correct the wrongs that we see around us. We have to care enough about those around us to step out of our comfort zones and do something about the evils all around us. What if God is waiting to use us - a word, an action - to catch someone's attention?

2 Kings 16:3 King Ahaz was so evil that he burned up his own children in pagan sacrifices. It makes me wonder where he was when his father was worshipping God. Did he miss all of that? As parents, we need to guard what our children see ... but we can't make them choose faith. That's their own choice. (But I still think that if I were a king, I'd eradicate the wrong ways to improve their chances of choosing the right ones!)

2 Kings 16:8 Who keeps putting the Temple treasures back? (It's great, but I wish they would stop taking them!) Grace and Peace, I think it is so exciting that they're working on Third Temple plans. I know that Jesus will not be locked into a specific block on anyone's calendar (we know not the day or the hour) but it seems as if that would definitely be a step in the right direction!

Today is my last firemuff day for this school year! It's supposed to be 99 and crazy sticky. I'm planning to hose the kids down after play group this morning - literally - and then we just might have a party later. I'm so excited to have the summer off to spend with my kids! :-)

Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning, GIG's,

Thank you, Lord, for giving me this gift of summer vacation which begins today. Help me to use this time to refresh my spirit, to know You better, to discern Your perfect will for this next stage of my life, and to infuse my marriage -- another gift from You -- with abundant love, patience and JOY. In Jesus' name, Amen!

It has been my privilege this morning to pray very specific prayers for each of your special requests, and to pray for a strong walk with the Lord for everyone else, even you quiet GIGs {smile}. And Lord, please help our sweet Wendy as she prepares for her family's vacation AND ministers to us here! Thank you, Wendy.

New to me in today's reading: I was astounded when in today's reading (Isaiah 7:14) the birth of Jesus was foretold. WOW!

My to do: Be obedient to God. Today that means taking my elderly dad to lunch and shopping. Lord, I ask for Your peace in the presence of this negative, irritating person You have asked me to care for. Let my words be soothing. Let there not be a crack in me through which the evil one can attack. I pray this in Jesus' name, Amen!

(Lori, twin, the Lord has put you on my heart this morning. I pray this prayer for you as well as you seek to be obedient to Him in caring for your elderly relatives. And may He answer your prayer and "expand" your time this week so you can fulfill all your duties.)

Have a blessed, 4:8 day, friends.

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Anonymous Lori said...

Wednesday – Good Morning Everyone from Sunny AZ ~
With all the stuff going on, isn’t it reassuring to have one thing the same each morning? Lord, I love my time with You. You, in me, living…Your Holy Spirit expressing Yourself through me – that is what makes our life meaningful, dear friends!

Today I noticed his POWER – ‘Look! The LORD is coming! He leaves his throne in heaven and tramples the heights of the earth., The mountains melt beneath his feet and flow into the valley like wax in a fire, like water pouring down a hill” (Micah 1:3,4). What a mighty God He is!

Then I saw an emotional side of Him, too “Therefore I will mourn and lament” (8). God crying over them because they had left Him. When our children are going to the right or to the left our hearts are heavy, just like God is heavy with us, His children. When we are meandering around going our own way He cries over us. The “but” and they “except” popped out to me also. I sat holding my Bible knowing, that many times I’m in that category. Being selfish. Thinking about what I want to do rather, than doing what God wants me to do. Once again allowing those spaces inside me that are not filled with His Holy Spirit, to listen to my thoughts. Thoughts that are from the enemy himself.

I, too, loved Isaiah’s prophesy – regarding Jesus, the Son of God, being born.
[700 later…] – (Matt 1:18 & Luke 1:35).

Oh GIG, just loving His precious Word this morning! Thank you dear LORD that we have Your Word, as we read it, breathe the meaning into us. Increase our minds so that we understand what we read. Let each one of us doing this study make time with you today and be richly blessed. May our thirst for you increase as each day passes by. Oh, may you transform us so that we are just like You. Fill Wendy up with words that you desire us to hear. Bless her today with extra time. Help her to prepare the family to go out of town. Thank you for drawing each one of us to you. Thank you, dear Father for everything. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Last evening as I was waiting for one of my kids I was so at peace reading all of the comments from each of you throughout the day on my phone. You each are so special and I feel as though I have known you all my life. I am so blessed to have this group in my life. Thank you – very much!

Amy, watch out! I can just see that little fire muff grabbing the hose! Ha-ha! The hose was a favorite activity when my boy’s were young! Of course they had the pool (like every AZ family!), but much preferred squirting the hose! Smile
Michelle, we are richly blessed by you, and, I for one, am tickled pink for you to be on summer vacation! YEAH! I’ve been waiting for this day to celebrate with you! Finally, it is here! You always say things that make our heart’s swell with love. You are a blessing to us on this blog, my sweet twin! Thank you for your prayer this morning. It is a busy week for me, today my mother has to put her dog down. It is not going to be easy…also I am organizing the move for Mema which is this Friday, and finishing up little details for our family vacation next month.
Morgen, loved seeing “your name!” Miss you! Okay, girls I’m outta room so must say, so long! LOVE U –tons, truly I do! Hugs, Lori

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning GIGs. I have learned to be apart of your lives because of the comments. I know that the most of the GIGs and FIGs do not comment, yet because I know that you are reading the Word with me, that there is a great connection.

Lori, thank you for the prayer this morning, you truly led us in bowing before our Father and exalting Him.

I am so thankful that I live when I have God's precious Word to read. I wonder if I had lived in the times we are reading about if I would have listened to that doom and gloom, or would I have just walked away and turned it off. But the worst that I could imagine would be is to be married to one of those prophets.:-) I am such a Polly Anna - God I pray that I will always listen to your bidding. You made us, you know our inner being, you formed us and know the best for us, Keep my eyes open so that I will always hear what you have to say, in what ever way you give it to me.

Thank you Wendy for studying and leading us in the blessed study, and for sittin outside in the heat, or making time while in VBS, or the other ways you make it work every day. God will bless you for making this daily effort.

God we thank you for binding us all together. What a great fellowship, (all in the same ship) we have.

Donna - TX

Blogger SuzyR said...

Dear Wendy...I pray your vacation will be a good restful and refreshing one...a cool one too:0) A wonderful family time.

Morgen...Enjoy Paris...

I an back from vacation--at least for a couple of days before we take off again...I did have my quiet time almost everyday..and I am on schedule with today's reading..

I loved everyone's insights this morning...I am learning so much from you all...

I lived 2Chr 28:14 - 15...such an example of how we are to treat people...God's children.

Of course, my favorite is Isaiah telling the world that Immanuel is coming...God is with us...I am so thankful the God is a "with us" kind of God...Praise Him...

have a great and cool day...

Sue in No Cal

Blogger Gaylene said...

I zeroed in on "Nevertheless" (Isaiah 7:22a). God cares enough to allow us the freedom of choice to make bad and wrong decisions. Nevertheless, God provides, God loves, God cares, God disciplines, God corrects his wayward children, God forgives. Nevertheless, a promise from God.

Well, the humidity is higher than the temperature here in NE Indiana, and it is hot. Summer is officially here! Glad I am working this afternoon and evening in nice cool air conditioning. Hope everyone stays comfortable.

Thanking the Father for all the GIGs today, for your sharing, your comments, your commitment, your love, your prayers. May you each be blessed and know that you are loved.

Gaylene

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you Donna, in saying that I feel so bonded to my fellow sisters here, seen and unseen, because of how you open your hearts and share your graces and prayers for all. We all have friends in this world, and they are based on many levels and experiences. But the friends in this study have the higher purpose of seeking, sharing and living God's Word. We have the advantage of just knowing each other from the present moment, unencumbered by the past, not being swayed by any worldly appearances or circumstances. We just share each others' hearts and spirits, which makes these encounters so pure and loving! I am so grateful. I have prayed so long for someone who could help me grow in my spiritual journey, someone who could teach me, who would listen and correct me, who would affirm me. And look at what our bountiful God placed into my life! Thank you Wendy for opening this wide and welcoming door to God's Word, for so generously facilitating this most awesome experience! I just love you all and thank you all for the gift of your beautiful presence every day.

Jacque

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, thank you for preparing our study while you are om vacation. I pray you and the family have a wonderful, restful, and joyous time together and many memories are made.

Morgen, Bonjour! Enjoy Paris. Take the boat ride down the Seine in the evening. The Eiffel Tower is beautiful lighted up at night!

The prophets had to be very obedient to deliver the messages that God gave them. We could use some to deliver messages to the leaders of our day...would the leaders listen and obey????

Where is Jen Ren? Miss you.

Keep cool everyone. Blessings and prayers,
Teeny

Blogger Rhonda said...

Hi Girlfriends in God….

Wendy ….Enjoy your vacation! Love your dedication…..I am feeling a little sluggish about a situation….through you and your dedication today is telling Me to push on. Stick with it. That is why this verse was highlighted for Me today too.

Isaiah 7:9
……. Unless your faith is firm. I cannot make you stand firm.”

Pondering this today…..and asking myself plenty of questions.

….than I read this on Tracie’s blog :

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked hard at them and said, “No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself. Every chance in the world if you trust God to do it. (The message).

Jesus looked hard at Me and said,……No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself.
EVERY CHANCE IN THE WORLD IF YOU TRUST GOD TO DO IT.

* Trust in HIM
* “Unless my Faith is firm…I cannot make you stand firm.”

My Spirit is stirring…..

…Unless your faith is firm….Jesus looked hard at Me…..Unless your faith is firm….Every chance in the world if you trust God to do it…..No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself. Unless your FAITH IS FIRM!!

My thoughts are turning….A message today was delivered…. “Preserve!!”

Thanks to all of you…Prayers for many….Blessings to ALL!!

Be in HIS word,
Rhonda

Good, Better, Best, never let it rest, until your good is Better and your better is Best!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ladies:

I sure know what it is like the week before a vacation trip. Many loose ends to tie up! And in my family, we have a joke, about needing a vacation from the vacation, upon returning home! But, wonderful memories are made, which is priceless.

As I was listening to Wendy at 2 pm, we had an earthquake, here in New York State. It was the strangest thing. My chair started swaying back and forth. My 11 year-old son was sitting in the den also, and I asked him if he could see my chair moving - and he said "YES". So we both stood up and could feel it under our bare feet. That is pretty exciting stuff for New York! Then my mom called, and she felt it too, so I felt at that point I wasn't going crazy!

My son, to my surprise, has been listening to Wendy, as he is usually in the room doing something or other with me. He mentioned to me today if it was time to listen to "Wendy Pope" and he has been recalling little tidbits here and there, I noticed. I just got such a kick out of it - how precious.

The other Rhonda

Hi all,
I had to chuckle when I read 2Chron.28:12-15-don't bring those prisoners here, we can't afford to add any more sins to the list against us.The Lord is already angry with us, fierce anger. So they took all the prisoners (Judah) back after clothing and feeding them. Wow! is this open confession or what.
If we have sinned, big time, we keep it to ourselves, or so we think. God knows all things.

When He disciplines, the Lord still provides for our needs. Such unfailing love. Oh, what an illustration-Is.7:20 with the razor.

The other day I waded into the brier patch and picked a handful of blackberries. It was wise to wear a long sleeved shirt because those thorns reach out and grab you and hang on until you pick them off one by one.

Just this morning at the dr. office I read in a magazine, forgot who said it, "Its not the thorns among the roses to dwell on, but the roses among the thorns.(Linda's version) So many times I have grumbled about someone's thorns and don't focus on their rose. good/bad

Think I'll go pick some wild roses up the road :)
I don't want to be a thorn, but a sweet rose. Jesus is the Rose of Sharon.

Linda

Post a Comment

Home