"And I have only a handful of flour left..."
1 Kings 17:12
1 Kings 17:12
My Take Aways
Something Old:
God supplies our needs during the drought seasons of our life.
We have to let go of what we have in order to receive what He wants to give.
Something New:
1 Kings 18:7
I love the "suddenlys" in my life.
I loved how tenderly God cared for Elijah.
Something to Do:
I need to unclench my fists, quick white-knuckling the things in my life so I can receive what God has for me.






23 Comments:
Good morning! I wanted to give you all a quick update on my dad, Fred. Thank you for your prayers yesterday for him. He came through the surgery well - had 5 bypasses performed. I saw him last night briefly. He's in a lot of pain, of course, but all in all, things went well. I really appreciate your prayers. I was much calmer yesterday knowing that you all were lifting him up in your prayers. As I drove home from the hospital around 9 last night, God provided the most beautiful sky I have ever seen here - dark blue clouds with bright pink/purple haze. Amazing. I wish I could give it justice with words. If you could just keep him in your prayers for a strong recovery, that would be great. Have a blessed day, everyone!
Kate in VA
Kate, still praying for Fred! Thanks for the update! Sounds like a very rough surgery.
I felt as if I was jumping all around today's reading, too. I kept thinking about the widow, who didn't even seem to know God, and yet shared her son's last meal with a stranger. What extravagant, sacrificial giving! Would I do tht? Scary thought ....
The scene between the priests of Baal and Elijah at the altars has been included in a book by Ted Dekker. It's called "Green" and is part of the Circle Trilogy. Dekker writes a fictional story in a fantasy style, using allegories and parables, almost, to tell the story of the Gospel. There's a great deal of the OT in there, but I didn't recognize it until I started reading through the Bible here last year. If you're looking for a fiction series, this is a good one.
At the end ... God sometimes shouts to us and jumps up and down to get our attention, but then, He's already done that. Sometimes He's there in the very quiet times, just waiting for us to stop long enough to hear Him. KLOVE quotes Matt Maher as saying that we have too much 'stuff' to see our need for God in our everyday lives now. Sometimes, with that, I think we have too much NOISE.
It's a firemuff day here ... looking forward to the afternoon time when all three kids sleep and it is quiet! :-)
PS - My daughter amused the people around us last night at the Bulls' game. She's only 5, but she kept calling out "Strike him out!" "Go, Bulls!" and the like. Our seats were amazing - just four seats above the dugout, just off home plate - and it was a great night. :-)
Wendy,
I also appreciated the part about the widow and the faith she had. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves to trust God daily and not to look to far ahead. I am praying for you Wendy.
Michele
Okay Wendy, I just have to say, I love you! You are much more than a facilitator I will lift you up in prayer throughout today – let’s all keep in mind what little Amy’s darling girl said last evening at the ball park: “Stike him out!” smile…And, we might as well follow her lead –(she called it out, too)! And, I’m sure her little voice was not weak! Take that satan! We are calling out to you Lord, in Jesus name, we are asking that you keep the enemy away from the Pope family.
Busy couple of days for me, my 16 year old is playing in a basketball tourney, and wouldn’t ya know the games begin early! So, just HAD to pop in as Brandee would say!
Your words were soothing this morning, Wendy. Your love for God’s Word is evident to all that listen to you! I really loved today’s reading. A couple of bullet points came flying out as I read through today’s chapters:
(1) Those who pray boldly may have the thrill of seeing miracles (girls we are experiencing that here in our fav little Bible Study)
(2) This special story which I love, (Elijah) is a picture to us which shows how the power of God is released when we pray and are obedient to Him (and His Word).
Okay, need to scoot, am leaving to pray right now. Hugs, coming your way. Today is a new day, -yikes ANOTHER Friday…I’m anticipating God in my day, today! Eagerly, girls, let’s watch! Loving arms coming your way! Lori
Happy Friday….Best Friends in God,
Wendy….Thanks so much again and again….I love the story to of the widow also….and I have only a handful of flour left….A Handful of flour. Keep giving , going, following. Wendy will keep you and your family in our prayers. Hear him now whisper a gentle ….“Everything is going to be okay.” God Bless.
Bible Verses…1King 19:19-21: Elijah set out, and came upon Elisha, son of Shaphat, as he was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen; he was following the twelfth. Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak over him. Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said, “Please let me kiss my father and mother goodbye, and I will follow you.” “Go back!” Elijah answered. “Have I done anything to you?” Elisha left him and, taking the yoke of oxen, slaughtered them; he used the plowing equipment for fuel to boil their flesh, and gave it to his people to eat. Then he left and followed Elijah as his attendant.
*footnote 19: 19-21: Elijah’s act of throwing his mantle over the shoulders of Elisha expressed the divine call to share the prophetic mission. Elisha’s prompt response through destruction of his plow and oxen is an example of total obedience and detachment from his former manner of living in order to promote the glory of God.
Very instructive verses to think about…..Elisha was a busy about his business when he was called into the Lord’s work. This reminds us that God calls to us to do his will, in whatever state of life, or circumstance, we happen to find ourselves in…
…..as he passed by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen.
….and Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men. Then they left their nets and followed him.
….and going a little farther saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat mending their nets. Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee in the boat along with the hired men and followed him…….(Mark 1:16-20).
Jacque…Prayed for safe travels for you yesterday….and to have a miracle of a day. That was great news yesterday ….Michael’s prays….“I do”….Just two small words…. YES!!…. lets Praise Him. (Just today will you give me enough of my daily bread).
Michelle….Holding you to it …..How are you treating hubby so far this week?? Hopefully he has understanding of all of your emotions too.
Lori...basketball tourney...hear him saying come follow me.
Yha’ll have a great day!!
To Do: drop what I’m doing and follow Him. Can I do this? Am I doing this?
Son #1’s 17th birthday today…..Son #2 baseball games tonight. Drop everything and come follow Me?? In doing this is it following Him?
Come follow Me….
Rhonda
The story of the widow reminds me of the many times in the bible that giving resulted in receiving much more. God provided for His children in so many ways that they never imagined would be possible. It also reminds me of when my 5 were little ones, and I always imagined having a magical gallon of milk that never ran out! That would have been my loaves and fishes! But even in lean times, we did have enough milk. Not a miracle but a blessing. I am reminded of our recent reading: 1 Kings 8:59b "according to each days needs." “Enough” does happen for us, doesn’t it? And we don’t need to keep an excess if we have faith in His loving care for us.
Thank you friends for your caring! We drove through a blinding thunderstorm (!) and spent yesterday with our son performing corporal works of mercy— laundromat (clothe the naked), lunch and groceries (feed the hungry), cleaning, transportation, fresh drinking water, etc. It was a trip well spent. We are praying for a full time job to sustain him with his daily bread. Thank you all so much for your continuing prayers!
Encouraging update, Kate! Prayers continue for your dad, for Wendy and family, and for everyone's special needs.
Blessings,
Jacque
Good morning my friends, new and old ones.
Remember I need to have little hooks to remember who is what and where they fit in. So who came first Elijah or Elisha, "j" comes before "s" in the alphabet.
I told you about my daughter and praying to God that He would do what ever it took to bring her and her family back to Him. Well todays passage is what I used the first time I talked to them about what I had done. I told them that it was probably my fault about their lose of jobs, and the lack of money. Then I used the Zaraphath widow. I ask my daughter if she thought that the widow understood that God was supplying the flour and oil. She said how could the widow know. Well, there is more to the story God took her son's life. That really touched my daughter since God took her brother - my son - home to Heaven. And there were tears in my daughter's eyes. But God restored the widows son so the widow would know that it was God that was taking care of them. Then the widow fully knew.
I asked my daughter if God could do that for the widow, what would God do in their lives. Could she let go and let God? Her rely - "don't know it seems that I have to take charge or it won't get done". I said, and how is that working for you...?... Both my daughter and her husband were overcome with tears. And they really did rely on the Lord after that. Pray that God will "tickle her willer" and bring her completely back to Him. I bought the Bible for her, sent her the web site, and then encouraged her today, to come on with the rest of us to draw closer to Him and also to one another's needs. We are all in the same "boat" stiving to know our Maker better and rely on Him more.
What a man of God Elijah was. Lord help all of us to rely on You and to love You like Elijah did
Donna - TX
Happy Friday,
I appreciate all the birthday wishes yesterday. It was encouraging to hear.
The readings seem like a movie, we we see rebellious Israel for a while and then faithful Judah.
In Luke chapter 7, Jesus raised a widow's only son, from the dead.
Here Elijah had the same compassion. She recognized him as a man of God and that the Lord truly spoke through him. (Later, 850 will not.)
In 18:21, Elijah challenged the people-"How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow Him: but if Baal, then follow him." (Sounds like Joshua.)
It was decision time. Did you notice their response? "And the people answered him not a word."
Later in verse 39 they said, "The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God." Maybe it took the fire of God to heat them up, to set their souls afire. Ouch!
DO: I need to learn when to keep silent and when to speak.
I had not noticed the 400 prophets of Asherah who are supported by Jezebel. That totaled 850 false prophets. My focus was always on the 450 Baal prophets. Hmm. What an audience for the Lord to show Himself to. Did they repent? Apparently not because they were killed.
Are there any Jezebels we are running from?
I can judge Elijah too harshly, sitting under his juniper tree, having a pity party of one. Been there, done that, as they say.
God wasn't finished with him yet and sent Elijah on a mission. Sometimes we have to "go back the same way we came" when we fail or stray, repent, pick up faith and obedience and go on following God.
Yes, Lord.
Corrie ten Boom said,"I've learned that we must hold everything loosely, because when I grip it tightly, it hurts when the Father pries my fingers loose and takes it from me."
Have a great weekend ya'll.
Linda@country road faith
My favorite part of today's reading is 1 Kings 17:8-16. It made me think about Matthew 6:25-33. God will supply our daily needs but we must trust and obey him. God took care of the widow woman and her son and even Elijah because she gave to the man of God first.
Wendy, I love this statement from you. "We have to let go of what we have in order to receive what He wants to give."
This morning I started singing this song and Wendy I thought about you.
Dorothy Norwood Victory Is Mine
Chorus 1:
Victory is mine,
victory is mine,
victory today is mine.
I told Satan to get thee behind,
victory today is mine.
Verse:
When I rose this morning,
I didn't have no doubt,
I knew that the Lord would bring me out.
I fell on my knees,
said, "Lord help me please"
got up singing and shouting the victory.
Chorus 2:
Joy is mine,
joy is mine,
I know that joy is mine.
I told Satan to get thee behind,
I know that joy is mine.
Chorus 3:
Happiness is mine,
happiness is mine,
happiness today is mine.
I told Satan to get thee behind,
happiness today is mine.
Wendy, loved the teaching today. Looking forward to more of God's "suddenly's".
Kate, Praise God that your Dad made it through quintuple bypass! Continued prayers for his recovery.
Dixie, I like the memory devices you use to remember things in the bible.
My son is back from college so my schedule is all whacked. I didn't have a chance to finish today's reading last night. Feeling a bit tired like Elijah. But you know what? God gave me a study on it when I woke up this morning. It was through the radio listening to Light of the Word. Here is the link.
http://www.lightoftheword.org/
Just click the play icon on "Today's Radio Broadcast." The title is "When God Begins to Question" the reference verse is Genesis 3:8 but about halfway through he talks about Elijah. So it's not long at all. I hope you'll be blessed by it as it blessed me this morning. It's a good wake up call (literally for me).
Have a blessed day everyone!
Good stuff, friends! Rhonda I liked what you shared about immediate obedience...how Elisha burned his plow and sacrificed his oxen to separate himself from his former life and move on in faith. Thanks!
To Donna's daughter...if you're reading along out there....welcome! I pray that Jesus penetrates your heart and you open up to His healing and love. He is the real deal!
Wendy...prayers for you and your struggles...we've all been there...some days/weeks/months are off and we long to get back on the right track. Keep looking up girl!
Jacque...see, Michael took a positive step...let's continue to pray for another one each day for these boys! (Michael/Ryan/Dylan) May they see God's blessings.
My hubby and I leave for our European trip...Sunday we head to the cities to stay at his brother's house and he will drop us at the airport Monday! I've been kind of busy and sidetracked this past week getting everything done and ready. I'm excited to see what God has to show me in a new part of His world! I will be gone for 3 weeks....will try to read occasional updates....keep the faith friends!
Praising Him
Morgen
Another comment lost in cyberspace but I am going to redo this one.
Good Morning Friday!
As so many have mentioned, the sharing of the widow was most impressive. But I am doing a little different version on the very same verses and this will be from the point of view of Elijah.
We are told so many times in the Bible to take care of widows and orphans. I wonder how humble Elijah felt to be told that he should now go and be taken care of by a widow. I am sure he had a lot of "buts" but went anyway. And it turned out to be a blessing to both of them.
Word nerds attention! Empathy. I don't even want to look it up in the dictionary right now. To me it means to walk in someones "mocassins" for a time. Perhaps to see a picture from a different angle. My to do: Walk with empathy this weekend with those I come in contact with. Look at their picture from a different angle. Join me??
Praise to God for answered prayers. Please be with those who struggle. Amen
Dixie in Florida
Kate..So glad your Dad is doing well...I'll keep praying,,,So glad the our wonderful God blessed your sweet heart with a beautiful sky...I love when He does that..:0)
Rhonda...Happy Birthday to your son...
Donna...Praying for your Daughter and her husband...going through that myself...stay strong.
Morgen...travel mercies...
Goodness...I loved the reading this morning...so rich in God's messages to us...Linda...1Kings18:21...How much longer will you waiver...reminded me of Joshua too...The widow's story was so sweet and tender...God's might in the story of Carmel is one of my favorites...Nothing is too hard for him...god isn't always on the mighty windstorms, earthquakes or fire...sometimes I have to be still and quiet to hear from him (working on that one ;0) )
I need to do some study on why Elijah ran from Jezebel...He knew God was mighty enough to keep him safe...any ideas?
Blessings for a wonderful day,
Sue
Grace & Peace…. A GREAT BIG WELCOME BACK HOME …to your son.
Jennifer Renee….Nice way to defeat Satan….Love the song….keep singing and defeating!!!
Donna TX….God Bless You!! (((hugs to you and your daughters and son-in-laws))). A thank you for sharing your story….My heart truly goes out to your family.
Donna’s daughter if reading: WELCOME!!……May you here Him gently whisper “Come follow Me”
Jacque….I wanted to mention to you on your last Friday’s comment….It was read for part of our prayer time at night. Our sons read your story about your son Michael. Know that your story was used in our home. Keep touching Hearts one at a time!! Your heart is so compassionate.
Morgen...Safe travels sister...Enjoy your vacation...3 weeks...We are going to miss you. Europe...WOW!!
Sue...Thanks for sons birthday wishes..Gonna celebrate it tomorrow ...His Dad will be back home.
Dixie...Thanks for the different version. Love your wisdom.
Rhonda
Tear of joy for our children is just the best tears. Wish I had a jar to store them in.
My daughter, beautiful daughter, read today and text me, "How many more signs do I (we) need". Because of the reading being the widow of Zarephath, see above.
Thank you Lord - Thank you. I wonder how many times like this, did God's people have God to do something so special, and they wonder if it was just........and not realize that He is in control. That our Father did this for us. We know that "His eyes search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts of fully committed to Him." that was just yesterday's reading. Please Lord "tickle" my understanding that I also know it is you in control.
How glad I am to have all of you GIGs listening, praying, and rejoicing with me.
Won't it be fun when we are in Heaven to realize when we meet one another that it is a GIG. Can't wait.
Donna - TX
Rhonda, thanks for the welcome for my son. Happy Birthday to yours (is it today?)! They grow up way to fast.
Donna, and daughter. God is working in your lives. Do not lose hope. He is going to show Himself in a big way. Watch out, you're going to have a "Suddenly" soon.
Just wanted to pop in and let y'all know that I am thinking of you very much. Will not get to my study until probably 9:00 tonight. My husband and I took my mil (she's 87) out to lunch and then to get her groceries. Got home at 4:00 and at 5:00 I am babysitting my grandbabies (6 mos and 18 months). A full day of service - Amen! I am fairly new to this study, but think I am getting a feel for it now. I look forward to it every day.
Blessings to you - Rhonda in NY
This morning another Scripture came to my mind as I thought about 1 Kings 17 about the widow woman.
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Hello sweet sister...
I have been absent from here for quite a while so I'm not sure what your struggles are. I was touched today watching your vlog to see how moved you were by today's scripture. I know that the Lord is talking to you and with you. I pray today that he clears your mind of the chaos and let's you see the light of his path.
I, too, was touched by the whisper. I posted on my Facbook wall that God was not in the wind, he was not in the earthquake, he was not in the fire but in the whisper. Do I/we have the patience to stand still long enough, to be quiet enough, to be open enough to hear the whisper? Ohh how I want to hear His whisper.
Your take on how we cannot receive until we open our hand touched me as well. I am SO guilty of clinging to the thing that I think I need, trying to hoard away "just in case". When really I need to trust and receive.
Thank you for the blessing that you are to me and so many others.
Blessings
Jessica B.
Hello, friends,
I enjoyed today's reading, and my nugget was 1 Kings 19 when Elijah was so discouraged he said "Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died." But then he slept, and then twice ate food that the Lord's angel had delivered, and he regained his strength and traveled on.
How often do things look bleak and upsetting to me when at night I am tired and may not have eaten well? Satan loves to attack then!! But a good night's sleep and good food restores my energy and positive outlook. When tiredness brings on the "stinkin' thinkin'", I tell myself not to take my feelings too seriously, and to definitely not make any decisions in such a state.
Rhonda, sweet Sister, thanks for the inquiry about hubby. It's been a good, reconnecting week. It's so true that if we are gentle and loving and considerate and appreciative, our men respond in kind.
Kate, so glad to hear the good report about your dad. Definitely continuing prayers for him - and you!
Morgen - have an awwweeeeessssooome trip! Travel mercies for you! We will miss you!
Lori, twin, I thought Wendy was very soothing today, too! I listened a second time this afternoon, with my eyes closed, and thought of how Jennifer Renee experiences Wendy's vlog. I think I will do that more often.
Donna, I also can't wait for us all to meet! What joyful tears there will be!
I'm hoping for an update on Rebecca's health, and also on whether Jessica decided to go teach in Ghana.
Have a blessed Friday evening, all. And Wendy girl, have a great, relaxing weekend!
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Wendy, your words today were (are) so precious. I so needed to hear them and the tears ran as you were telling us (me) that you are praying for us (me). Needed to know, to hear that so much today. Thank you.
Today I was struck by the simple but so powerful words in 1 Kings 18:3 "Obadiah was a devoted follower of the Lord." Can anything better be said? How I desire for others to say that of me. To do: walk in the word, stay in the word, worship, so that can be said of me.
Walking, step by step,
Gaylene
The story of the widow really struck a chord with me. We have been on a very tight budget the past two years. Something I am not very good at, to say the least. But, I keep on trying to get it right! Trying to sell a big house and downsize, etc. Nothing extra for vacations, going out to dinner. Well, we live in New York State - enough said there (taxes, taxes taxes). Anyways, how many times do I not invite others into my home any more, because I feel I do not have enough to serve, when actually I really do, if I just get creative and make things from scratch. I need to trust the Lord with daily provision - just like Wendy mentioned - DAILY, not weekly, monthly. So much to relate to in this lesson. Elijah is certainly one of my favorite OT stories, but it has been quite a while since I first read it.
I appreciate the visual of a clenched fist, and my need to open my hand.
Have a wonderful week-end - I notice there are some repeat names here - so I guess I will continue as: Rhonda in NY!!
Good morning! I'm entering my thoughts a day late, but better late than never, right? :o)
Something Old: Even God's chosen are sometimes accused of being trouble makers. (1Kings 18:17b)
God often speaks in a still small voice. (1Kings 19:12)
Something New: Out of all the wickedness & blasphemy & turning away from God, there were 7,000 others in Isreal who never bowed down or kissed Baal! (1Kings 19:18) Sometimes we can fell all alone inour circumstances, and really we're not.
Something To Do/Nugget: There will always be enough. (1Kings 17:16)
Trust God to always care for me and meet each of my needs on a daily basis.
Wendy- I like how you said "we don't have to worry about our God being away or too busy for us." Aman to that! Have a great weekend everyone!
Post a Comment
Home