"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."
Proverbs 27:17
Proverbs 27:17
My Take Aways
Something Old:
Proverbs 27:19
"As a face reflected in water; so the heart reflects the real person."
What kind of real person is reflected in me?Something New:
Proverbs 29:1
"Whoever stubbornly refuses to accept criticism will suddenly be destroyed beyond recovery."
It is very important to my growth as a person and in Christ to accept criticism.
Something to Do:
Continue to submit to the Holy Spirit so that I might reflect Christ and His characteristics to others. This means accepting criticism from those who love me as well as from those who don't love me.
P.S.Ya'll I am so confused, recording all these videos (10 this week), I think I said we had another but we don't. Today is Friday. The weeks final blog.
No matter where I am today-it is a wonderful day because I am with my amazing husband and my amazing children. (Sweating no doubt but having a ball.)






24 Comments:
Good Morning GIGs. Wendy - I hope that your trip has gone well this week - at least we've had some cooler weather here in VA over the past 2 days. Your vlog was meant for me to hear this morning! I need to truly ask God to "cleanse my palette" as well. I have a tendency to curse - my friends kind of crack up when I do - I guess b/c I don't look like I would know how to use these words, but boy, do I! And I have even used them in front of my family when I'm really upset or frustrated - this sounds so bad to be actually typing and admitting this. So I am asking God to help me control my mouth. I, too, have had plenty of instances where I have spoken more kindly to the clerk at a store than to my husband. Guilty!
Ladies - I have not read comments in a few days - am going back today to do so and pray over the prayer requests listed. I count on you all to help sharpen me. I know we are not face-to-face friends (even thought that's Wendy's tag line that I love!), but I certainly think that God means for us to sharpen one another, and I am beyond blessed by each of your comments and your love of the Lord and each other. Thank you, dear friends, for your testimonies, your prayers, your faith that you share openly here. I hope you all have a great day today!
Kate in VA
It's so wonderful to have a few close friends who will be there to sharpen you and be honest with you. My close friends do give me wise counsel and I'm blessed for it.
Amy, today's vlog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MojH3invviU&feature=player_embedded
Amy, sorry I didn't give you yesterday's vlog. Here it is for yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8_Eg7dY9g&feature=player_embedded
Good morning all,
What a sweet family, Wendy. Enjoy every minute of your time together, because when you turn around, the kids are grown with children of their own. My philosophy was to enjoy each stage they were in. This too shall pass.
(Comforting words when the terrible two's hit. :-)
Prov. 27:9 says,"The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense."
I want to be sweet perfume in my words and deeds.
Please pray for me as I lift up a standard of dress for our youth in church this summer. We have sometimes have as many as 100-125 youth, most of which are van kids-parents don't come. The kids that grew up in church are exposing too much body, too. It's a hard issue to address, but we are to please God in all things and not be a stumblingblock to others.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend
everybody as we celebrate our country's Independence Day. Christ has set us free from the wages of sin.
Linda from Ark.
Wendy, Hope you and your family have had a wonderful week in Williamsburg! Thank you so much for taking extra time to record the vlogs in advance for us - please know it is greatly appreciated!
Your words today spoke to me. I too have felt the Lord working on me to think before I speak (Prov 29:20). My son and I have been working on memorizing Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." It is a short sentence, but one that I continue to mix up and stumble over. Obviously the Lord is trying to make me truly focus on this! :)
Also, in yesterday's reading, the Levites and the people took the defiled things from the Temple and the pagan altars from Jerusalem and threw them in the Kidron Valley (2 Chron 29:16 and 30:14). Can someone help me with the significance of the Kidron Valley? I believe Beth Moore spoke about it in one of her bible studies. In John 18:1 Jesus crossed the Kidron Valley on the way to the Garden of Gethsemane and the Mount of Olives on the night he was betrayed. I haven't looked in Jon Courson's commentary yet to see if he talks about it, but will head there next.
Lifting up prayers for all of our GIGS and their families. Have a blessed day and a safe and fun July 4th weekend! Leslie
Good morning,GIG's,
I'm not able to post a long post right now, as my husband unexpectedly asked if I wanted to go on an exercise walk. So I did, and the talk was as valuable as the walk as we try to feel our way through being the parents of a married daughter. Talk about watching one's words, ha ha ha!
Anyhoo, before I head out to take my sister Denise for a haircut (can't have her grey peeking out under the sassy red wigs!), I wanted to say that Melissa Taylor's devotion on Proverbs 31 today is just glorious! Dont' miss it, friends!
Be back later. Have a blessed, 4:8 day, all!
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Happy Friday GIG ~
Suzie, thank you for sharing about Foster! Glory to God! Praying for sweet Kelly and her upcoming scan. I’m asking God to give us perfect results that are His desire and plan for Kelly.
Jacque, praying sweetie!
Kate, you cracked me up – I, too can’t imagine swear words coming out of your little mouth! Ha-ha!! But, believe me, we all have a few tucked under our tongue!
Wendy, this week has been a treat for all of us to hear about your past; thank you for being so honest and open – we have been able to walk along beside you and see the transformation that God has done in your life. I love how He gave you scriptures and placed this in your heart to share with us. We saw this week, first-hand, His beautiful Word coming alive throughout your life.
I loved today’s lesson you presented to us -pulling together different Proverbs re: friends.
God desires us to have close friends, and now I see how He even uses them to work on our transformation – how actually, it’s our friends doing some of God’s work! I never looked it at that way before. That is powerful, Wendy…also, much easier to “take advice” when you know that quite possibly, it’s ‘words from God!’ Wow, going to ponder more about this!
I know in my past I’ve had lots of ‘acquaintances.’ A lot of my energy was spent keeping up with all of them. But, as the years went on I see now, how He let me ‘let go’ of some of this wasted energy as He drew me closer to a ‘few Godly acquaintances.’ He showed me that He was my best friend. My husband came next. Then my 2 boy’s. Then, my extended family (that happens to be a handful! Smile!-I keep reminding myself that they are there on purpose, it’s how God is transforming me, and I must I admit, have a ways to go!) Then my circle of influence…then my personal Godly friends. When you think about it, quite seriously, we only have time for a few close, intimate friendships.
I treasure them, now more than ever, after listening to what you shared today, sweet Wendy!
My husband and I have been on what you call “vacation,” Wendy! In the first time in 18 years – both of our boy’s (at the same time) have been out of town! Truly, it was a gift from God, as Dave and I shared much time, just the two of us, here at home. Connor has been up North with his basketball team at Sports Camp, while Colton has been visiting my sissy and bro in law, - his second parents! He will come home spoiled rotten, and I’ll have to whip him back into shape! Smile! But, today the vacation ends! The quiet house, empty laundry baskets, sparkling clean rooms will be filled again with teenagers!
Thinking about taking the “I” out of my vocabulary! Love you all. –adding names to the master list…will post, don’t worry! Just thinking maybe there are a few more to add!
Hugs, Lori
Wendy, thank you for sharing! And, such a beautiful family you have.
Linda--I hope I can say "this to shall pass" regarding my 22 y.o. son who falls to temptations. He loves the Lord, has studied his word at the University but.... sweet temptation is to hard for him to pass up and he falls into this. I am praying he develops strength, will power and self control!
And Lori, thanks for the prayers for my daughter Kelly. Since it was not possible for man to fix her I totally am relying on the Lord. Still, however,I am wanting and needing my medical family members to be with me and they are gone this time. Not even reachable by phone.
Trusting in the full faith of the Lord to continue to let His glory shine through my daughter.
For today's lesson, I truly need to work on my response to criticism especially when I don't agree. And, I need to not only watch my tongue but the tone that comes along with some of the words.
Truly, I need to pray for myself for God to help me guard my tongue and tone. I feel sometimes that I need to have such help with Kelly--fighting the battle to keep all the cancer cells dead in her that I don't feel I can call on the Lord to help with my son who desperately needs the Lords guidance let alone pray for myself.
I am just extraordinarily happy to have found such a wonderful group. And, was so fortunate that God guided me to Wendy who has this vlog study and such a group of women who belong to Him and the vlog.
Susie
Wisconsin
Wendy, thank you for sharing! And, such a beautiful family you have.
Linda--I hope I can say "this to shall pass" regarding my 22 y.o. son who falls to temptations. He loves the Lord, has studied his word at the University but.... sweet temptation is to hard for him to pass up and he falls into this. I am praying he develops strength, will power and self control!
And Lori, thanks for the prayers for my daughter Kelly. Since it was not possible for man to fix her I totally am relying on the Lord. Still, however,I am wanting and needing my medical family members to be with me and they are gone this time. Not even reachable by phone.
Trusting in the full faith of the Lord to continue to let His glory shine through my daughter.
For today's lesson, I truly need to work on my response to criticism especially when I don't agree. And, I need to not only watch my tongue but the tone that comes along with some of the words.
Truly, I need to pray for myself for God to help me guard my tongue and tone. I feel sometimes that I need to have such help with Kelly--fighting the battle to keep all the cancer cells dead in her that I don't feel I can call on the Lord to help with my son who desperately needs the Lords guidance let alone pray for myself.
I am just extraordinarily happy to have found such a wonderful group. And, was so fortunate that God guided me to Wendy who has this vlog study and such a group of women who belong to Him and the vlog.
Susie
Wisconsin
Leslie in NC,
Here is an excerpt re Kidron Valley and its significance in the last days:
"Armageddon thereby serves as the gathering place, a natural staging area about 15 miles from the Mediterranean port and industrial area of Haifa, for their military force. From this staging area western forces advance southward toward Jerusalem which they control where a horrendous battle will take place. Rather than proceeding east against Islamic forces the leaders of the western forces had to turn to the south to bolster their forces at Jerusalem, about 55 miles away, and to engage advancing eastern forces. The armies ultimately clash at Jerusalem.
The focal point of the battle is the Valley of Jehoshaphat (Joel 3:2, 3:12), also called the Valley of Decision (Joel 3:14) situated between the Old City of Jerusalem and the Mount of Olives, now known as the Kidron Valley after the brook Kidron passing through it. This valley is a deep ravine having very steep sides. Jehoshaphat means "Judgment of YHWH". Here the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth, and his supernatural force will engage both eastern and western forces engaged in battle when he returns and stands, just east of the old city, on the Mount of Olives (Zechariah 14:1-4). A description of the battle is given in Revelation 19:11-21. In the figurative language of Revelation the carnage is to be so great that the blood of the casualties, flowing "without the [old] city" in the Valley of Jehoshaphat, will rise as high as horses' bridles (Revelation 14:20)."
~ Source: http://www.bibarch.com/ArchaeologicalSites/Megiddo.htm
Susie - thank you for sharing about Foster. Praise GOD!!! Will be praying for Kelly to have NED (no evidence of disease). Praying for peace for you as well as you wait. Rest in His arms this weekend.
Aside from the friendship verse that Wendy pointed out (amen to everything she said, too!), the ones that spoke to me Prov 29:25 "Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety." May we seek to please the Lord more each day instead of trying to please people.
Have a blessed day everyone!
Hi Everybody,
My bible verse for today was...
Psalms 27:23:
Know the state of your flocks, and put your heart into caring for your herds....
What I experienced in the garden the other day. I wanted to share it with you all but cannot put picture on here. So my comment and my blessings to you all is on my blog if you wish to see the most beautiful and perfect cross... (in a flower). It is in My Flowers.in my blog....
I was doing this all morning so hadn't had time to read all your precious comments...will come back this afternoon to read. Have to go make some lunch for my hungry men.
Blessing All...Peace be with You.
At the cross at the cross...
Rhonda
The beginning of 4th of July weekend - safe travels to all and thank God to be living in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
I came across a little story from Jon Courson I wanted to share with all of you.
"Only four groups of people were annointed with oil upon the head, kings, prophets, priests and lepers. Isn't that just like the Lord"?.
"Every day she made her way to the stream from which she would draw water enough to fill the two large pots she would carry half a mile back to the manor. One of the pots being cracked, by the time she arrived, only a pot and a half were full. After a few years, the cracked pot said "I'm not working. I try to be. I want to be. But I never come through. I only make it half way. Why didn't you discard me long ago?"
"I want to show you something" the servant girl replied. And she took the pot on the walk again. "What do you see?"
"All kinds of flowers." the pot answered. "That's right". the girl said. " They're there because every day without you even knowing it, you watered the ground so that they could grow."
I needed to read this today! I, like some of you I am sure, am feeling like the cracked pot and comparing myself to the whole pot.
Some days lately I feel like I am not working. I try to be, and I want to be. But I never come through.
Dear Lord - Help us if not strong enough to be whole yet, realize that even "cracked pots" are of use in sharing your work. Amen
Dixie in S.W. Florida
Hello, my precious GIGs. I want to share with you about my mother. Mother is with our LORD since thanksgiving of 1996. She had Alzheimer's and didn't know me for many years. Thought I was a nice lady, which my sister thought was the best. But what I want to share with you is the words she never said. Most Alzheimer patients start cursing when they never had before. I studied about that for some time and this is what I came up with. I don't say those words, but they do go buzzing around my brain. Then I quiet them. I am always so disappointed when I realize that I am thinking of them. But Mother had lived such a clostered life that she never even thought those words. I mean by that ....she only worked during WW2 for a little while. She was a true home maker. She always had her nose in the WORD. dont' remember of her reading anything but literature about the WORD and about eating well. And she was fanatical about both. She watched so little television that she never heard those words that way. If only that was true of me. she was not perfect, but mighty close. Of course I am prejudice.
thanks for listening, I had extra words that I needed to say today. smile.
Donna - TX
Dixie,
Thank you for sharing the cracked pot story. That spoke to me as well.
Donna,
Thank you for sharing your Mom's testimony. She lived Luke 6:45b "...For out of the overflow of her heart her mouth speaks." What an inspiration (and a lesson) for the rest of us: Keep close to the Word and when we no longer know what to say, God's Word overflows.
Proverbs 28:2 stuck out to me today. It sounds like it's describing the USA to me!
Grace and Peace, thanks for the information on the Kidron Valley.
To Anonymous who asked yesterday how we discern which TV shows are okay to watch: that's been an evolving process for me, but I try to use Michelle's Phil. 4:8 verse. If it's not good, true, pure, uplifting, etc., then what's the point? A friend of mine calls that the 'Garbage in, garbage out' verse. So, if it has lots of swearing or bleeps, lying, deception, inappropriate relationships, etc, I just skip it. I basically don't watch very much! God called me on two shows that I was watching last year, and so I gave them up. Now if it's something that I wouldn't want my kids to watch or if I would be uncomfortable if Jesus were to plop down beside me, I just don't watch it. That's what I feel led to do. I hope that helps you in some way.
Jennifer, for some reason when I pulled up Wendy's page yesterday, the videos were back. I have no idea why or what happened, but I really appreciate you posting the YouTube links for me. Thanks so much! :-) Hope you're having a great weekend.
Heading outside to enjoy this beautiful day before naptime is over!
PS - I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT! I FOUND A WALKING BUDDY! I have a new friend who lives about 3 blocks away who is interested in walking, too, and so we're starting at 5:30 on Tuesday morning. When I get back, then my husband will head out and I'll continue with my usual Bible schedule. If I can manage to get out of bed, this might work! :-)
Sorry, but I think I just lost my comment.
Where is July 1 blog? I didn't get it and just discovered it missing as I am catching up with the study.
Please let me know how to find it.
Praying for all your needs.
Your testimonies have been such an inspiration.
Teeny
I just found July 1 blog so am happy and having a Wonderful afternoon!
Teeny
Good afternoon, GIGs,
I have tried and tried today to come up with "nuggets" from Proverbs. I think I've done today's reading three times. And nothing hits me as I read Proverbs except a bad mood. I think as a person who tries to live Phil 4:8, the Proverbs are anathema to me. They focus on people behaving in ungodly, even evil ways, and this is something I try to avoid thinking about. Unfortunately, I have experience in my family of origin of people behaving in some of these ways. I guess that's what brings on the bad mood. I don't watch any TV or read any books that focus on "people behaving badly." That's the test I use on whether so-called entertainment is worth my time. I don't read the newspaper, either.
How does Proverbs make you all feel as you read them?
Peace and Gratitude, and a Happy 4th of July weekend,
Michelle in New England
Hi Everybody...back to read the comments...Wow what a day!!
Wendy...Thanks for blessing us this week. Cleansing my pallet. Like Kate...I do this too. Thanks Kate for your truthful insight.
To Anonymous who asked yesterday how we discern which TV shows are okay to watch: We did give it up totally...been without it for over a year now. Our sons do miss the sports channel. We do netflex get 2 movies a week. No commercials...and you can pick the movies you approve to get. Not too much time in our schedules to watch TV.
Kelly...Welcome...would love to have you give us your nuggets. Like Lori says we all are gifted in different areas...each different views. All created in Him.
Jennifer in Iowa...Hi there....good to see you hop in every now and than would love to have you along more. May Ethan and Avery be filled and renewed after returning from their Catholic Youth group.
Susie WI...will be prayng for Kelly on July 6. Like G&P said for a NED (no evidance of disease). Your sons Ryan I have so wrapped up into my prayers too.
Lori...big welcome home to Colton & Connor. Your "vacation" that was a great way to put it. We vacation alot at home too.
Teeny...You all set with the blogs...Did you find your comment? Always love your wisdom.
Amy...I look at you with your young heart and say God Bless her...she is so wise at such a young age. So happy to hear you got a walking buddy. Believe in youself, can arrive each morning at 5:30
Grace & Peace....I am going to be putting you and your family so much wrapped up tight into my prayers. ((sending you a hug today)). You are up there with our Wendy and Lori...with your kind words for others in this group. Always filling us in when the verses are tough to understand. Thank You!!
Donna TX...My ear was listening as you wrote what was on your heart. Blessings Sweet sister for sharing. Your Mother was a "Gem"...and I truly believe you are as perfect as she was. We take after our parents in alot of ways.
Michelle....those kind of walks are the best...alot of times I consider it a great date. Your so sweet what you do for your sister Denise. ((hugs to you and her)).
Leslie in NC...Thanks for sharing the verse you and your son are memorizing Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." I have it copied and pasted.
Jennifer Renee...Enjoy your weekend thanks for checking in with us today...See you on Monday.
Friends sharpen one another. You are blessed in that area.
Dixie in FL...Wow...I love you sister. Your humor can I rub up against you for a little. This clay pot is a 1/4 full in that area.
Blessings all have a Great July 4th weekend....Ditto-ing Linda on this one. Linda praying for you as you lift up a standard of dress for our youth in church this summer. God Bless You.
Tomorrow A Family Reunion...You all have a Grat Weekend!!
God Bless America,
Rhonda
Rhonda, we are so blessed to have you and your big, caring, sensitive heart in our midst. What a spiritual listening ear you have as you read through the comments! I am in huge admiration that your household gave up TV with two teenage boys at home. Wow!
GIGs, you must check out Rhonda's "cross" flower by clicking on her picture and then on My Flowers. She is an amazing gardener, and an amazing GIG! Love you, Rhonda!
Have a wonderful time at your reunion tomorrow. Safe travels to you if it is not at your home.
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
I hope everyone can jot over to Rhonda's blog. Truely a beautiful prayer....Thank you Rhonda...May the Lord Bless You & Keep You...
AB in IN
Hope everyone has a safe & happy holiday weekend.
Hello Everyone,
I have been checking in first thing in the morning for the past few days and I feel like I have missed out on so much. You all are a special part of my day and I love praying for you and with you!
Rhonda, the flower was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
The other day, I tried to post and my computer crashed. I don't know if it made it or not, but it was the day I was posting my childrens' ages. I am going to repost, just in case!
Tres 25 and Emily 24 (son and DIL)
Jessica 23
Ryan 22
Jonathan 13
Evan 2
Drew 1
Michelle, I find the proverbs difficult sometimes, repetative often, but they make me laugh sometimes. Like, it is better to live in the corner of the attic, or on the roof, or out in the desert or someplace else can't remember right now than live with a nagging wife. I guess, I don't want to be a nagging wife!!! So, I need to watch my mouth that way too. And then there are the hidden gems too like the nugget Wendy pulled up and some other out there today.
Have a wonderful 4th of July! We are going to a friend's house from Texas. He is having a Texas style pig roast. Looking forward to a great time with lots of friends and family!
Blessings everyone,
Michelle
Rhonda -
That is an absolutely amazing flower - but shadowed by your prayer for all of us. I am crying tears of thanksgiving as you open your heart to all of us who are joyous, sad, hurting, renewing our faith - you have us all covered. What a wonderful blessing.
Thank you so much.
Rhonda,
You're so sweet. Thank you for your prayers they mean so much to me. (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment
Home