If you are visiting my blog by way of Encouragement for Today, welcome.
The topic of today's devotion is very tender to my heart for many reasons. The main one being: I am woman who sought help and "relief" from my troubles from media influences. For many years I read books that did not represent godly principles, in fact, the story lines were very similar to the story lines about Sodom and Gomorrah. I also watched soap operas. I was addicted to them. It was a common occurrence to find my television set to channel 2 from 12:30pm to 4:00pm. These shows were and are an abomination to my Lord and His values. I am embarrassed I wasted so much time watching such programming.
I am opening the closest to expose some skeletons because today, Praise God I am free! I share my life experiences so that others can experience the same freedom that I enjoy. I have traded the emptiness of media influences for the pleasure and fullness of keeping company with my Creator. I know longer wait on the edge of my seat to see if Alan Spaulding is going to jail or watch the best seller list for the next Danielle Steel novel to hit the press. I have even turned off Oprah as not to be influenced even in a small way by her warped beliefs.
I have not said no to all television and media. I have been introduced to Christian writers with amazing talent. I enjoy shows that I can watch with my family. My radio dial is set to stations that offer sound Biblical teaching and play uplifting Christian music.
How did I get to this place of freedom? By spending time with Jesus everyday. Every morning before the sun brightens the horizon and my family rubs the sleep from their eyes, I meet with Jesus. I pray to Him. I praise Him through song. I read the truths of His Word and ask Him to help make it take root in my heart. He is the most amazing script writer of all times. Everyday He invites me to be part of His story. He has a role that only I can play. He has role that only you can play. Have you asked Him how you fit into His story?
Take the 3o-day challenge. Set your alarm 15 minutes early or ask a friend to call you at an assigned time. Accountability it amazing. Get out of bed and pray, praise, and read. Oh, sweet sister He has something to say to you everyday:
I have not said no to all television and media. I have been introduced to Christian writers with amazing talent. I enjoy shows that I can watch with my family. My radio dial is set to stations that offer sound Biblical teaching and play uplifting Christian music.
How did I get to this place of freedom? By spending time with Jesus everyday. Every morning before the sun brightens the horizon and my family rubs the sleep from their eyes, I meet with Jesus. I pray to Him. I praise Him through song. I read the truths of His Word and ask Him to help make it take root in my heart. He is the most amazing script writer of all times. Everyday He invites me to be part of His story. He has a role that only I can play. He has role that only you can play. Have you asked Him how you fit into His story?
Take the 3o-day challenge. Set your alarm 15 minutes early or ask a friend to call you at an assigned time. Accountability it amazing. Get out of bed and pray, praise, and read. Oh, sweet sister He has something to say to you everyday:
"The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught." Isaiah 50:4
If you are up for the challenge keep me posted on your progress. I stopped giving excuses for why I could not get up in the morning about 9 years ago and I have never regretted it. You won't either. Does anyone have a testimony to share?
For His Great Renown
For His Great Renown






9 Comments:
Thanks for the great devotion today at P31 and for your blog words. At one time in my life I even had to put down the Christian fiction because it was distorting my view of reality and monopolizing my time.
My media issues are this little thing i am typing on right now... the computer. I work on the computer and it is so easy to let it take all your time and attention.
So thanks for the reminder. My goal is a technology fast once a week. Thanks for the encouragement to not give up on that time away from the WWW.
Have a great day.
Wendy,
I am running around here trying to get ready for a speaking engagement this weekend and feeling overwhelmed. I went to send an email to the event coordinator, saw the P31 devotional and thought, "I don't have time"..then I read the header. Thank you...I am heading straight to my knees before I go any further!
Oh, Wendy, thank you for confirming that our help truly does come from the Maker of Heaven and Earth! What better help could we ask for!
I am doing Beth Moore's Stepping up Bible study right now on the Psalms of Ascent and this devo corresponded beautifully!
Love you,
tammy
PS Hope to meet you in June!
I have a very challenging 9 year old daughter. And I have a huge problem with frustration and anger.
But I get myself up an hour earlier than she does, just to waken up with God. He prepres my mind for the challenges ahead. lol.
The computer is my downfall in the way that I am always here. But I use the bible online, get wonderful email devos that I save and look back at, and use it to encourage others.
Thank you so much for having the courage to confront this issue. Many of us need to do a priority check into the usage of our time!
Wendy,
Thank for such a great devotion today. I came by way of your Encouragement for Today. So many times I find myself frustrated with something and I run to the phone to call a girlfriend. Lately, the Lord has been asking me to come to Him instead. It's amazing how just sitting and pouring out your heart to the Lord can be much more uplifting than pouring out to a girlfriend. Thanks for your great words today.
~Carol from sheep to the right
Wendy:
Two fabulous posts in one sitting! Amen to them both. I, too, have been a tv addict (especially when it comes to reality tv shows and real-life crime dramas). But the closer I get to God, the less my desire for anything that doesn't boast of Him. And please, don't get me started on the news media channels!
What I love about all of this...is that it is completely possible to grow a distaste for such influence by spending time with God via his Word, good books, music, etc. He is changing and shaping me more toward his kingdom purposes, and I can see the results. So often, I wander along in this faith journey and wonder if I'm growing...changing, etc. This is one area that I can definitely see a difference.
Thanks for sharing your heart. Thanks for living your convictions. You are a fabulous communicator of the Gospel, and I hope that one day soon I can hear you speak as well!
peace~elaine
Well, you certainly taught this "old dog" something new today, and I praise God for it! Most of my adult life Iunckuding seminary :o() I have associated God's help with the mountains in this verse. THANK YOU for setting me straight! Both I and my wife thoroughly enjoy the Proverbs 31 ministry and devotions daily, and thank God for the way He is using you ladies. Keep up the excellent work!
I just had a chance to read this post today. Thank you for the reminder of how much time is wasted with tv, computers, books and magazines. I read my bible hear and there but not daily so I accept your challenge and starting tomorrow morning (5-9-08) I am going to get up 15 minutes early and spend time in God's word daily.
Deb - Ohio
Hi Wendy,
I just came across your site this morning and your post is a blessing ,itwill change the hearth of those who have been addicted with TV programes bring them to JESUS.
thanks,
PASTOR AYOKUNLE BABASOLA.
LAGOS,NIGERIA
Post a Comment
Home