Activity in the Heavenlies
I need to say two things before today's post:

We want to welcome guests from Encouragement for Today daily devotions. The subject matter for today's devotion was letting go of legalism and learning to embrace grace. We are learning to do that as we forge through toward our goal of reading through the Word in 2009, aren't we, guys and gals?

The second thing I needed to say has to do with the word guys in my previous sentence. It has come to my attention that there are some men who are joining our great adventure. (We are co-ed. Cool, huh?) So I wanted to apologize if I have made any gentlemen feel left out with my girl references. We are all the W2s, individuals participating Wordly Wise. (Wx2)

Back to our guests, I hope you enjoy our post and discussion from the book of Job. Job has just lost everything and is grieving with his friends. Our reading today covered 5:-7:21. We are reading from the One Year Chronological Bible. It is not too late to join us.

I want to be honest. Before I started reading for today, I flipped over to see how many friend's responses and Job rebuttals I was going to have to read. I have read this text several times, as I am sure many of you have, and each time I seem to get lost in the response and rebuttals. Job's friends seem to give him sound advice and do an awesome job of reminding him of who God is and what God does. But Job seems to be letting everything that is said go in one ear and out the other. It is almost as if he has his fingers in his ears singing, "la la la la" and has forgotten his own words,
"Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

Today, I realized through some study materials on this subject that Job and his friends have no idea of the conversation that God had with satan. The responses and rebuttals all blame God for "doing this to Job." Eliphaz basically says in 4:8, that Job some how deserved this because of something he had done. ("who plants and cultivates evil will harvest the same") He is suggesting that God punishes His children this harshly for their sin.

Does that sound familiar or what? How many times in my life have I thought God was punishing me for sin? I have heard some say things like, "I did not get that promotion because God is getting back at me." Or "Since I had that abortion, God is punishing me by keeping me from getting pregnant."

God does discipline us. We are His children and a father who loves His children disciplines them. (Hebrews 12:6) A father who loves His children also wants the best for His children and uses everything that happens (even those hard things He allows to happen) for their good. (Romans 8:38, Philippians 1:6) But...God does not sit up in heaven and rain down calamity on His children for their sin. He is a loving and just God full of grace and mercy. He is long-suffering in His dealing with us. He forgives and forgets our sin.

I say all that to encourage us to think beyond our circumstances, better yet, think above them. There is a battle going on the heavenlies that we can't comprehend. I am reminded right now as I write, that God found Job worthy of this test. So if you find yourself in a battle that seems beyond you, know that you are worthy of the test and strong enough to pass, just like Job.



13 Comments:

Blogger Charlene Kidd said...

Wendy,
Great devo today. I am enjoying the bible too. I had to laugh at your comment about the Job story, I also wandered how many days until we get to the end of it where all is well again!!
Love ya,
Charlene

Blogger Luanne said...

Good point about how we never know what is happening up in the heavenlies. All may seem as if God is "out to get us", but if we hang on to the foundations of truth--God is a good God--and He is good all the time, and He promises to turn all things for good for those who love Him (Rom. 8:28).

I read this section as a "how not to minister to a hurting friend."
For example, in verse 8 friend says,"if I were you..."

Also, in verses 17,18 "friend" implies that Job needs discipline and that is the reason for the hardship.

verse 27 "We have studied life and found all this to be true, Listen to my counsel, and apply it to yourself."

I never want to approach a hurting friend with pride.

Blogger Karen said...

Thank you Wendy for your insight! I tried to read comentaries on these chapters, particularly chapter 5 because I read it and found good advise adn encouraging words like are written in chapter 5 verses 20-26: 20 He will save you from death in time of famine,
from the power of the sword in time of war.
21 You will be safe from slander
and have no fear when destruction comes.
22 You will laugh at destruction and famine;
wild animals will not terrify you.
23 You will be at peace with the stones of the field,
and its wild animals will be at peace with you.
24 You will know that your home is safe.
When you survey your possessions, nothing will be missing.
25 You will have many children;
your descendants will be as plentiful as grass!
26 You will go to the grave at a ripe old age,
like a sheaf of grain harvested at the proper time!

These verse foreshadow what is to come, though of course they don't know it. I guess I missed the accusational tone in Eliphaz's words until I read some of the comentary and your post. Job is a good illustration of James' later letter (James 1:2-4): 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.".

Have a great day!

Karen, CA

Blogger Chanan said...

As I was reading today's post a co-worker of mine came in to inform me of the suddent passing of his best friend. He went on to say how the young man was a devoted man of God, husband, father and friend - went out of his way to do anything for anybody. To put it simple, he wondered how such a good person can go so soon and why it happened to him.

I was able to point him directly to the book of Job for clarification (as he is also a God fearing man). He left my office giving thanks to God for the life his friend lived and made a promise to himself not to question God, but in all things, give him thanks.

Today's lesson, along with others that I have read and about to read in the days/months ahead, was very timely!!! I really do give God thanks for this journey because if he had come to me about three months ago with his grief, I wouldnt have known what to say.

To God be the Glory!!

Freeport, Bahamas.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy,
Sure missed seeing you guys last week. I'm enjoying reading through the Bible. Thanks again for your encouragement (my husband is reading it too!)
See you Thursday!
Lynn

Blogger Joyful said...

Well I wonder how many of us skipped ahead today. :o) I actually went right to the end. I had to tame my fears of yesterday with the joy yet to come.

In thinking about Job's suffering today, I've pondered how some of our greatest gifts have been birthed in our deepest pain. Mom's will totally understand that truth.

As believers our most precious gift was given through the agony of the cross. There was great "activity in the heavenlies" as Christ's deepest pain prepared the way for our greatest joy.

So thankful for the God of all comfort (2 Cor.1:3),
Joy

Blogger Raylene said...

That is too funny, yes, I also flipped to see how long we would be in Job...until the end of January :)
Sharon Jaynes shares in her book (The Power of a Woman's Words) what Luanne was sharing about our friends, best sometimes to be silent then to come up with answers in others grief/trials...
Raylene
Boone, IA

Blogger Unknown said...

Wendy,

I had the same realization today, it really hit me hard that at least Eliphaz was telling Job that he was being punished for something he did. And Job, was starting to talk like that also, asking why God had done this to him. But if Job could have only sat in our seat and read the beginning of the chapter to know that it wasn't a punishment, it was Satan rearing his ugly head. Thanks for supporting us through this, this has been a life changing experience for me!!

Blogger Joanie Butler said...

I've often wondered why God chose to point out one of His beloved children to satan and allow him to be put through such misery. Your thought that, "God knew Job was worthy of the test and strong enough to pass," makes perfect sense to me. God, being God, knew that through history His children would struggle with some really tough and seemingly unbearable life stuff. By Job's suffering and it being recorded in the Word we have a written testimony that God is faithful to carry us through any and all hardship. Plus, we get an added advantage in the fact that we are told, right up front, that it is not God who is causing Job the pain but satan. We must accept the fact that we live in a fallen world and as such we can and do become victims of the evil ones schemes. However, if we can just hold on to the hand of our Savior, His word promises we will be delivered. God has some great plans for our lives and when we suffer hurt, if we can ride it out with God when we come out the other side we can see such beautiful results that in retrospect we often are able to "get why we had to hurt." At least this has been true in my life.

I know that having been diagnosed with a progressive neurological disease at a relatively young age, many people have asked me if I pray to be healed. Most are often shocked when I reply, very firmly, "NO!" When I explain how my faith and daily reliance on God has grown through this trial, and I tell them about some of the wonderful blessings that have come into my life because I suffer each day, then they most of the time begin to understand my position. No, I would not have wished for this diagnosis or to live with the consequences, but because I am clinging all the more tightly to my Savior because of it, I count my disease as one of my blessings. So I say, feed me dear Lord and I praise You for doing that in what ever manner You deem necessary to keep me closer to You.

Be blessed all for our God reigns!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading about Job's journey is comforting because I know the end of the story. :-) Job didn't have this knowledge yet he didn't curse God in the midst of his loss and physical pain.

I believe God chose Job because he knew Job wouldn't buckle under pressure. And the scripture tells us:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. I Cor. 10:13

Debbie - North Carolina

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Wendy
Today showed me that I/we need to be slow to speak. I can see how it is so easy to surmise what someone has done to have things come against them/us. I think you brought up a very important point. We don't know what God is doing in the heavenlies on our behalf. His timing is not our timing, His ways are not our ways. Something else that God has shown me in dealing with others it's not always that I am reaping something, sometimes the other is sowing something. And I also try to remember John 10:10 The theif comes to kill, steal and destroy, I (God) come that you have life more abundantly. satan does bad things to us just because he is trying to pull us away from fellowship with God.
Thanks, Lynm - OR

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realized through today's reading that when faced with difficult times, I am guilty of immediately assuming it is because of something I have done wrong. I try to combat the situation by attempting to perfect my faith walk, hoping God will see my effort and make the suffering stop.

This is such flawed thinking, and I didn't even need anyone else to put it on me.

God, in His grace, pointed me to the story of the disciples in the boat during the storm. Matthew 14:22 says, "Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat..."

Do you see? Even though the storm came and frightened the disciples, it was Jesus who guided them to this event and Jesus who was there with them. They did not do anything wrong. In fact, they had obeyed Jesus by going into the boat in the first place. They were exactly where they were supposed to be. Job was too.

Oh, the riches of God's word!

Blogger Kara said...

Wow. This hits close to home. I'm thankful everyday for what I have. Believe me, it's not much but it's enough. I think I'm going to adopt that moto more often.

:)

Post a Comment

Home