Good Morning Girls
I got up this morning to "post" my post and it is GONE! I have no idea what happened. I on my knees at the moment fixing to start my prayer time then in a rush to get everyone where they are supposed to be.
Please forgive the lateness. Check back later and I promise I will have the post up. Satan is trying to rattle my cage and upset my day but I will not let that happen.
See you later.
I am back and know what happened. I made the post on another blog where I have writing privileges. Yesterday must have been busier than I realized. Thanks for grace.
See you later.
I am back and know what happened. I made the post on another blog where I have writing privileges. Yesterday must have been busier than I realized. Thanks for grace.
I have to tell you that today's reading was not very exciting of me. I thought, "Lord, what do I write about a bunch of 'sons of'?" What is the purpose of us reading the genealogy of Esau? Were you all thinking the same thing?
As I read through some commentaries I found the reason. Moses, the writer of Genesis wanted us to recount the fulfilled blessing of Esau. Do you remember in the reading on January 9 about the birthright being stolen from Esau? Do you remember the heart-wrenching plea Esau cried out to his father? I shutter every time I read it.
Esau pleaded, "Not one blessing left for me? Oh, my father, bless me, too. Then Esau broke down and wept. His father, Issac, said to him, "You will live off the land and what it yields and you will live by your sword." (Genesis 27:39-40b)
According to the commentaries, Moses recorded this nugget of information to show that God fulfilled Issac's blessing to his son. Esau did become very wealthy from what the land yielded. If you recall, he turned down Jacob's bribes. This genealogy shows that his sons became dukes or leaders in the armies, thus fulfilling "live by the sword." It was also pointed out the lists of "sons of" showed the intermarried of the Canaanites and the Edomnites. The Canaanites are descendants of Ham. Ham was basically cursed not blessed by his father Noah for the shame he caused Noah when he saw Noah naked.
During all the success of Esau what was Jacob doing? He obeyed his father and went to Paddan-Aram to find a wife. He worked for Laban as a shepherd and for the women of his dreams. Esau received his blessing. Maybe I like genealogy after all.
If you have some extra time read Henry's thoughts.
Have a great day girls. I love looking at the my map. If you have missed days, don't let the enemy get a stronghold on you about it. Pick up the Good Book and keep reading. Make up the missed reading if you can, if not, keep reading.
If you have some extra time read Henry's thoughts.
Putting it in reverse for a minute, a reader asked a question about the significance of the mandrakes in 29:14-16. I did some research and found it very interesting. Mandrakes are more than just a plant from the Bible. Mandrakes
Have a great day girls. I love looking at the my map. If you have missed days, don't let the enemy get a stronghold on you about it. Pick up the Good Book and keep reading. Make up the missed reading if you can, if not, keep reading.






13 Comments:
Oh, days that start this way can be sooooo frustrating. Praying for you. I know that sense of panic.
I have to be honest, it's hard to read through the lists of genealogies. My tendency is to want to jump ahead. Skim over the names. Not take the time to read each one, half of which I can't pronounce. Yet, years ago my heart was convicted about such reading. These names are part of my heritage too and compose the roots of my family tree. Each name is precious. Each name represents a life lived. Was it lived well?
Some day my name will be just that...a name. A name in a list of many traced through my family history. When my ancestry is researched will there be anything more to be written of me than just my name? Every now and again in these lists one name is highlighted with a short phrase of remembrance. Will there be anything to remember about me?
Every day we make decisions. Every day is a new opportunity. Every day we can grasp hold of life. Am I living it to the full? Christ came to give me abundant life. What am I doing with the gift of time He has still given me? Maybe I won't be remembered for any one great thing. Maybe there will be nothing that is worthy of extra words in a history of my heritage, but that doesn't stop my desire to want to live great. My name is written in the most important list of names that will ever be recorded. My Father is not only Great, He is God.
Maybe there will be nothing on paper that records my life as being of value. Maybe when my life is over it will be quickly forgotten. But maybe, just maybe my greatest legacy will be written on hearts. Hearts touched by God in me. Hearts that move on for future generations and draw others to the throne of Christ. Now, that's a legacy.
Rejoicing in my heritage,
Joy
I did wonder about all the genealogy we were reading, and pronouncing those names, ugh...but I can see that Esau did receive what was promised to him also. I like finding out what the names actually mean and how they do tend to go along with the character of that person.
Blessings and peace upon the rest of your day!! We appreciate you taking the time to do this!! I am enjoying it!
Raylene
Boone, IA
Joy,
Your posting was very well said and now I too will approach geonealogy listings in a different way. Thank you for it!
Karen - CA
Mandrakes, huh? MMM, I think I'll pass!!
Thanks for the information Wendy. I too was ignorant of what mandrakes were.
This is one amazing journey that we are all on.
Wow! And to think I could not get a thing from today's reading of who begat who:)
Thanks for the insight! Very interesting about the mandrakes...who knew?
Carrie - AL
Wendy, thank you so much for your time! You are appreciated!
My thought reading through the list of names is how many males were born versus females. Esau had fewer sons than Jacob.
Karen C.
Oregon
Wendy thanks for the extra readings! It was very enlightening and resourceful.
Debbie - North Carolina
Wendy,
I'm looking at the genealogies in a whole different way now! Thank you for your wisdom and thank you for giving up your time to minister to us...and all you sisters out there...I so enjoy reading all your comments!!!
Thank you! Have a GREAT day!
Lori
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the info. on mandrakes. I probably wouldn't have ever researched mandrakes, however it was interesting. Now I know and can share with others:) They will think I am well educated on mandrakes...LOL.
After stumbling my way through the tough pronunciations, I am going to listen to the audio online of this section of scripture. It will be neat to listen to the more accurate pronunciations.
Enjoying our study of God's Word!
Rochelle
Kingsport, TN
Thank you Wendy - I too was wondering what I could draw from today's readings! And who knew about the Mandrakes! Thanks for sharing!
Amy - Kingston, ON
Thank you Wendy, for your insight and information. I now look at the reading for today in a whole new way! I am back from vacation (I left New Years eve) and I am happy to say that I have stuck with the readings each day....something unheard of for me. This challenge has really made a difference for me...thank you.
Julie
I had my grandbabies yesterday so I did my readings after they left last night. I felt myself starting to fall asleep on all the begats. I was wondering what Mandrakes were sounded sorta like Mandarians or some kind of fruit. Even women had desires to have children than as they do now and God is the only one who knows if we are too or not.Thank you for all they ladies post this is helping me.
Boy, misery really does like company.(he,he,he) I was thinking that I was the only one who was lost and had problems pronouncing those names. But thanks for the clarity Wendy!!!
And thank you for your time, this journey is truly a devine intervention.
Freeport, Bahamas
Post a Comment
Home