Good Morning Girls,
I wanted to offer a couple suggestions.
Cain and Abel
Lessons here are:
Two other great topics
I wanted to offer a couple suggestions.
- Subscribe to my blog so will get updates when a new post has been made. (See sidebar on the homepage)
- Make sure you post your comments on the post not on Wordly Wise section. This is will allow everyone to see all the comments and not have to look in other sections of the blog to read others thoughts.
- This is first day we covered readings in different chapters. I want to make sure you notice the scripture of address of what you are reading.
- You might want to listen you our P31 radio program from yesterday.
Today's reading, like most days will cover a broad range of topics. Today we are covering material from Cain and Abel through the building of the Ark. There are many places we can stop and discuss. We are not limited to the point(s) that I make. Please feel free to share your thoughts on any part of the reading.
Cain and Abel
The scriptures do not go in to great detail of the rejection of Cain's offering. We can all speculate to why we think God rejected his offering. When I first read the offerings and the result of the offerings, I thought, "That is lame. Abel's was accepted and Cain's was not." I felt sorry for Cain. After reading the text many times I still feel sorry for Cain not just because his offering was rejected but because his heart was obviously not right with God at the time of the offering.
You read "The Lord said" two times which means to me that Cain had a relationship with Lord. Cain talked with the Lord enough to recognize His voice. The offering must have disappointed God because He looks on at heart. He looked at Cain's heart and saw a flaw, therefore rejected His offering.
Lessons here are:
- Always keep our hearts right with God (confession, repentance, readiness to obey)
- Always offer God our best (Maybe this was Cain's best but his heart was not right-who knows)
- Always respond respectfully to God (Cain was not all respectful in verses 5-8 in chapter 4)
My heart ached for Cain again when I read of his punishment for killing Abel. Cain was not only banished from his family and home land but also from God's presence. (v16) I can't imagine not being able to have fellowship with the Lord. Can you?
Two other great topics
Where did Cain get his wife? Apparently this is a big topic among Biblical scholars. I found a good resource for thoughts on this topic. For more insight on this subject: ChristianAnswers.net.
Who were the Sons of Men? Blue Letter Bible is an excellent resource with many commentaries. This particular link is the Matthew Henry's commentary on the Sons of Men. I also like Jamison, Fausset, and Brown. Sometimes Henry can be a like too "old English" for this girl. Browse through different commentaries and research opinions of the Sons of Men.
I go with the view of Henry. What do you think?
As far as the Sons of Men. I go with the opinion that they were sons of Seth who intermarried with descendants of Cain.
I go with the view of Henry. What do you think?
As far as the Sons of Men. I go with the opinion that they were sons of Seth who intermarried with descendants of Cain.






29 Comments:
With Cain, the Lord did tell him that "sin was crouching at his door and he must learn to master it" but he ignored that which lead then to his brother's death, which I think about in my own life, how many times do I ignore what the Lord is telling me. What I did find interesting is that Enoch was Cain's son...I never noticed that before and how Enoch walked closely with the Lord and that the Lord took him. I wonder what Cain may have said to his son.
Wendy, do you know what I'm enjoying about this already (besides the thrill of reading God's Word)? The different things the Lord speaks to each person through the same passage of scripture. We have such a personal God.
My heart breaks even thinking of being banished from the Lord's presence. My heart was saddened again as I read in Genesis 5 Adam's family tree. No mention of Cain. It's like he never existed. Consequences of a selfish heart.
Can I ask where you read, "sons of men"? I can't find that expression in the version I read today. Twice in Chapter 6 I have, "The sons of God" -vs 2 and 4, but I don't see the other expression.
Again today so much has held my attention as I've read His Word, but I'm praying the Lord will let my mind focus on just a couple of things He wants to say to me. They may mean absolutely nothing to anyone else, but that's our personal God.
I'm struck by the lives of two godly men. Genesis 5 tells us that Enoch lived in close fellowship with God and walked in close fellowship with Him (vs 22, 24). The concluding verse of the following chapter says, "Noah did everything exactly as God had commanded him."
Can that be said of me? Am I living, walking and obeying in such a way that those attributes could be penned of me? Is my life testimony to the One who lives within me or do others see more Joy than Jesus? Oh that I would be His Joy. I pray that the joy of Jesus would be evident in all I say and do.
Lord, today may I live, walk and obey all that you desire of me.
Seeking Him,
Joy
Day 2 and it is amazing how much I am "seeing for the first time". Reading your blog and others comments is just truly a blessing how God uses us all so that we can learn more about Him! Praise God!
I too felt bad for Cain, how many times have I dissapointed God - I can't imagine being "banished" from Him. It was eye opening to find that Enoch, who walked so closely with God was Cain's son. It certainly makes you wonder what was passed from father to son.
Lynn
Joyful and Everyone
My mistake, my Bible does read "Sons of God." I read so many translations and commentaries, many who called the "Sons of God" the "Sons of Men."
Grace, Grace, Grace
I,like Raylene,noticed "sin was crouching at his door and he must learn to master it."
Even in the very beginning God was speaking to man's heart about sin and telling him that he could have power over it through an obedient heart.
I'm a little confused on v.4:17 and v.5:18, is this the same Enoch? The same man that walked with God and then disappeared?
Maybe a popular name? I've done some looking around but still no understanding,can you help?
Wendy,
Thank you so much for providing us with this opportunity to grow in our faith. I am so looking forward to it. After today's reading, I was a bit unsettled but found I questioned many things that others did also. It really helped to read your blog, the comments and the links that you provided. Thanks and I look forward to the journey we are embarking on this year.
I believe this is the first time where it is evident that the "Soul" of man is now king over us and not the "Spirit" as God intended it to be. Gen. 4:7 Only through the power of the Holy Spirit will we be able to defeat the power of sin that is sitting at our door each and every day. Also, what caught my eye was Abel was a shepard. He already had the attributes of our Lord, and he purposely gave God the best lamb. Just like our Father, he gave us his best lamb, Jesus Christ. Everything in the word of God always point us back to love that God demostrated through his son Jesus Christ. Debbie - North Carolina
What struck me today was how we try to deceive God and ourselves. God asked Cain "Where is your brother?" (Like God didn't already know) But Cain deceiving himself into thinking God didn't know, said he didn't know. Hmmm If we truly remembered every moment that God was watching would it help us to act better?
Also, When God said he was sorry he made humans, it made me reflect and wonder do my actions and sins make Him sorry He made me?
I also felt the punishment Cain got was harsh, but then wondered if that is because I have been desensitised to crime and sins or is it because I have felt the love and mercy that God now freely gives because to the price Jesus paid for all of our sins.
It's amazing how much can be learned from only 2 days of reading. It's so nice to read others comments and learn from them.
Blessings,
Lynn - OR
(I noticed there is another Lynn out there, not sure where she is from Hi from Oregon.) :)
Wendy: First, a heartfelt thank you for your commitment to this daily study of God's Word. May HE bless you so intimately in your heart with treasures just for you from Him. Love you!
Hubby happens to also be reading Genesis with the kids right now. His comment was that God accepted Abel's offering with favor because it was the "firstborn of the flock" and was "Flesh"....a foreshadowing of Christ's offering of His body for our sins.
God's Word is so alive and all truth. Yet, some things we won't fully understand in this life and world. I think when we see Him face to face, it will all be clear. Even His mysteries are a treasure and they keep us seeking Him.
Warm blessings,
Sharon
Sharon beat me to it, God is clear that he wants our "first fruits", that is the best. While Abel was offering his first (best), it just says that Cain gave...perhaps whatever was leftover.
How about us? Do we tithe from our firsts...or do we give God whatever we have left? This can apply not only to our money, but to our time and talents as well.
This is in response to Raylene's comment. I don't believe the Enoch that the Lord took was Cain's Enoch. Genesis 5:18 says the father of the Enoch that the Lord took was Jared. That is, if I am reading it correctly.
what stood out to me is the number of times that someone's action was described as "walking in close fellowship with God." In fact, it was said of Enoch, and then repeated again, before God took him.
Then Noah was described in this same way.
I am just pondering what that means exactly in the nitty gritty of my life.
Praying that God would describe me in that way--when my 70-90 something years (God willing!) are over.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Something that stood out to me today was during the flood portion of Scriptures when God said He was sorry He ever created humans. Wow! I immediately wondered if God has ever looked at me and felt sorry for ever creating me?
For those who do not have an NLT chronological Bible, you can read it online at http://oneyearbibleonline.com/oneyearweeklychrono.php?version=51&startmmdd=0101
Just click on the day, and it will come right up :)
Wendy, Thank you so much for the reference to ChristianAnswers.net. I read the information about Cain's wife and learned so much more than I expected. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Keep up the blessed work!
It seems to me that our world is fast approaching the point where God can again say..."And God saw that the wickeness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." (Gen. 6:5)
And, concerning Cain & Abel: I have heard so many preachers say that Cain's offering was not accepted because it was not a "blood offering". But Numbers 18: 12 does speak of bringing the firstfruits of the land so it seems it MUST have been the condition of his heart.
Marilyn
Hi Girls,
Interesting about the two Enochs. I found this site
http://www.lwbc.co.uk/Genesis/the%20two_enochs.htm, Check it out.
Wendy, first of all, I just have to say, "BLESS YOU!" Through this journey we are all committed to take together you are "encourage[ing] one another---and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:25...I have never been more excited to see the New Year arrive! I love reading the comments from all the sisters! Today's reading: Something from Genesis 4:7 just popped out at me! The LORD told Cain to "do what is right." Something we think of as so simple, but yet so hard to live! I had remembered reading the day before in Proverbs 1:3, "doing what is right..." God's Word tells us how to live our daily life. It's my prayer that I will strive to live my life doing what is right!
Hi all! All of your posts are very interesting and have made me look back and reread some verses. Very insightful, people!
One thing that I highlighted was Gen 4:26 where it states that at that time the people first began to worship the Lord BY NAME. I wonder what name they used? Also makes it more relational and personal to know someone's name and call them by name.
Wendy,
THANK YOU for creating this so that we can read and study the word and reflect all together. Once I started, it was hard to put my Bible down. What a great feeling! I've enjoyed reading others comments too--really thought-provoking! Praying for us all to keep it up!
Sorry Gals, I was not trying to cause confusion about the whole Enoch thing...I reread that this morning...and yes, Jared was his father...yes, GRACE for me too :)
Raylene
You just made us re-read and dig deeper. No apologizes necessary.
w
Wendy, thanks so much for answering God's call to lead this effort. I'm excited about growing closer to Him in 2009 through daily focused study.
I have read the book of Genesis a few times, but this particular morning verse 7 of chapter 4 really hit me hard...I try and pray most nights that God will awaken me in the morning, so that I can spend time with Him. Well this particular morning as I was awaken by God, I turned over and went back to sleep in my nice warm bed, thinking I am so tired I will just sleep a little longer. Well when I finally got out of bed I realized both my children were up, much earlier than they EVER are...and they were either soaked in pee or covered in poop. What a way to start the morning. Eventually I took a bit of time to read the entry for this day and verse 7 "smacked" me over the head. In the NLT version it reads..."You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master." It was then that I realized I should have gotten out of bed when God summoned me.
Thank you and bless you for your commitment to this year of reading the Bible. I brought my Bible to church this morning and our prayer team prayed over it and prayed for all of us as we embark on this most incredible journey togither! I am so encouraged by your comments and it has truly allowed me to dig deeper and hear what the Lord has for me in the scriptures. Please pray for me to not me overwhelmed with time constraints as we get back to a post holiday routine at my house ie. work, school, and after school activities. Thank you and God bless you.
Sheryl in LA
Hey,
I'm just hooping over here from another blog.
This looks like a great idea and study of the word, thanks!
I did a study on Genesis many years ago and was taught the "sons of men" were angels.
I was given some good cross references for this. Just like the angels who came in Sodom.
Anyhow, I wish I knew the other references for this, but I was just amazed.
The word is so rich and so full of meaning. My study of Genesis was the foundation for all the principals that are in the entire bible.
Thanks...
When I read the sons of God had sexual relations with the daughters of men, it brought to mind of being unequally yoked.
There is so much geneology passed down, notice many generations have passed - that's a lot of offspring populating the earth. I thought of the separation to mean between Adam's descendants (excluding Cain) and Cain's descendants. Adam walked with God (believers); and Cain was banished from God's presence (unbelievers).
As the population increased, and the people moved around perhaps the intermingling between the two groups began to distort - causing relationships to become unequally yoked... I will stop at that instead of another whole sermonette! LOL
I also got confused about Enoch, until I read that the one taken up to heaven was of Seth's descendants, not Cain's. I really like how the chronological Bible pulls alot of this information together - I admit I would give all the "begets" a glance over, but now I'm starting to see a better picture of the time/generations that have spanned in 2,3 or 4 paragraphs!
Hi Wendy,
I know I am way late on this one. I just found you site and am following a long (and catching up). I just wanted to comment on the Sons of God. I too have learned that this refers to angels. Based on your commentary reference, the best one I found on this is Chuck Smith.
I am looking forward to being caught up in the next couple of days so I can join your conversation real time... :)
Thank you for your faithfulness in this immense, but also immensely needed process!
- Karen in Pleasanton, CA (for a pin's sake ;))
Post a Comment
Home