A Family Tree
"The neighbor women said, 'Now at last Naomi has a son!' And they named him Obed. He became the father of Jesse and the grandfather of David." (Ruth 4:17)

The portrait of a family tree is something to behold. Today's reading served as blessed reminder that lineage matters. David, a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14) was from the lineage of a Moabite woman named Ruth and a man named Boaz who honored and obeyed the laws of LORD. They did not forget their inheritance and did not fail to pass it down to the future generations of their family line. We know this is to be true or David would not have been the type of King that he was.

As I read through the many family lines I wondered what will be said of my family line when I am gone from this world. If someone records my family tree one day, what will my heritage look like. I can only pray for my descendants to be men and women after God's own heart. When I think of words such as heritage and legacy my eyes flood with tears. I think of the lame man Peter healed. Peter proclaimed, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus of Nazareth, rise up and walk." (Act 3:6-7)

I may not have silver or gold, wealth untold but I do have an insatiable love for Jesus Christ and a unquenchable thirst for His Word. I want to this to be the heritage descendants receive from me. I want the legacy I leave to be for them to believe and love the Lord Jesus Christ with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength so they can rise up and walk in the way of the Lord.

What greater legacy could there be?




11 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Wendy, you are also leaving a wonderful legacy in the treasures of this daily journey and journalling of His Word. Your family, for years to come, will see your heart written here and the paths He had you walk. They will see your love for God, as well as your love for others and your desire to see women grow in their relationship with Him. This already is a precious part of your family tree.

The thought that spoke to me today was from 1 Samuel as we read of Hannah's barrenness. Although I haven't experienced infertility as it pertains to having children, I have known barrenness in other areas of my life. Times when nothing has come to birth in my activities, service or relationships. A dream hasn't been realized. I feel forsaken, alone and ineffective.

Only God can breathe life into a soul that feels abandoned and useless. He is both Giver and Sustainer (Heb. 1:3).

Breathless and barren, I wait for Him,
Joy

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Joyful
Thank you so much for your encouragement this morning.

Anonymous Morgen said...

I too was drawn to Hannah's inability to have a child; and Peninnah's taunting her because of it.
Ladies, why are women so cruel? I remember school days and the intense jealousy and meanness. I witnessed it with my daughter growing up. We need to LOVE each other; to lift each other up and find empathy and compassion and sincerity in these hearts that belong to Jesus. We aren't in a competition - we're on the same team.
Soften our hearts Lord and search us with your spotlight, shining it on the dark spots and turning them to sunshine. Amen
Morgen - MN

Anonymous Lori said...

Hello All,

The Book of Ruth left me with a feeling of content. The end brings the blessing of God by renewing Naomi. This woman goes from bitter to smiling & blessed. The widowed-gentile, Ruth, who is far from God...humble and dedicated to her Mother-in-law, becomes a mother in a line to David!

Wow! The chapter of Ruth clearly points out how God can turn things around and make something, out of nothing.

Naomi was redeemed and so are we! We have been redeemed; nothing will ever change that! We have a relationship with Jesus Christ. What will He do with us? What will we let Him do?

I pray that all of my descendants would love and serve the Lord with all of their hearts.

I'm believing that God can do turn-arounds in the family members that I have felt would be the least likely to get saved...my Mother-in-law who is an atheist, my father, who was raised LDS, my intelluctual-brother-in-law, and my 93 year-old Mema! All things are possible with GOD! I believe God will save these family members right along with Dave!

Today, I'm believing God for turn-arounds in my family!

EnJOY Wednesday dear sisters!
Loving and praying for each one of you...
Lori - Mesa, AZ

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

My Husband lost his first wife of 24 years to cancer. He like Ruth never abandoned his Mother-in-law or that side of the family. We still include them as an extended part of our blended family. She and her husband are Grandparents to my daughter as well as the cousins are new cousins. We have been married now for over 11 years and it is strange to some but just comes natural to all of us.

I agree with Morgen, and was taunted when I was in school as well, why do we do that? Why do we feel we have to tear others down to make ourselves feel better? I pray that we learn to go to God for our security instead of destroying others in an attempt for success. God is our only true success and security.
Lori - Praying for your family as well.
Joy - Still praying for you.
Wendy - Thanks for your faithfulness to God, your family and us. I too want a legacy of family faithful to God.

Blessings,
Lynn in Northern OR

Blogger Brandee said...

Wendy, what great thoughts on leaving a family legacy! Your prayer is my prayer as well.

Morgan, thanks for the point of us supporting one another. I totally agree with you!

Blessings to all you today from TN!

Blogger Brandee said...

Amy Jane~ I wanted to tell you I loved reading your post from last night at the end of yesterday's reading. What an amazing story!

Anonymous Lori said...

Thank you Brandee...after reading your blog, I quickly went back to see what I missed last night!!! Oh my, what a turn-around story, Amy Jane!!!!...praise you Jesus for what you do in our lives! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us, Amy Jane!!!

Brandee, praying for you as you look for guidance with your sinus problems...Psalm 103:2-4 (NIV)
Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-...heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from th pit and crowns you with love and compassion."

Lynn, I love how you all have kept your Mother-in-law, tucked under your wings...How sweet that is to God; you are living out God's Word!

Yesterday, the Word became alive to me when I read about Ruth...her selfless devotion to her Mother-in-law...that evening my own Mother-in-law...who is about as opposite to my beliefs as could possibly be, discussed with me, how she wanted me to take over her estate now and affairs...she's beginning to feel like it is too much for her. I already take care of my grandma's finances...at times I feel overwhelmed with paperwork...wouldn't ya know that God allowed me to read about Ruth, before her phone call!!!
He softened my heart to get me ready. Through my love, she will come to know God. I'm excited for what God has in store for her! Dave is an only child so we have always included her in all of our family activites...it's not always easy for me, but thankfully, it's not me she sees...God in me! :)

Lori - Mesa, AZ

Blogger Karen said...

Lineage struck me today too. In addition to the Ruth and Rahab connections already mentioned by Wendy and Kristen, Perez was son of Judah and Tamar, his Canaanite daughter-in-law. I am amazed and humbled how God uses the flaws in us and makes us strong. He used a "spectacular sin" (John Piper's words) of Judah to bring forth the lineage of Christ! Awesome!

I also loved the nugget of the Prayer of Jabez in today's reading. It just stuck out there in the midst of all the names. I paused and prayed it too:

“Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!”

Lastly, I noticed other inserts that made me wonder why they were there;
Joab, the founder of the Valley of the Craftsmen, so called because they were craftsmen :-)
Mered also married Bithia, a daughter of Pharoh (How did that happen! They were not to go back to Egypt...)
Descended from Shelah were the families of linen workers and pottery makers.

It is nice to see that even then, each had a purpose in the whole. And even humble positions of service were included in the list of the genealogies.

Enjoy today ladies, I pray you have a blessed Easter week.

Karen, CA

Blogger Chef Diane said...

Hey Girlfriends,

I have just been so busy and have been absorbing your posts like a sponge. Today has been full of serving others. It is now 3:30 and I am resting for a bit. I couldn't wait to seek away for a bit with you all. Wendy, thank you for being so faithful to this study. All of you add so much to it and although I haven't posted much and praying for you.

Group hug,
Diane

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi girls!

thanks for all the loving comments...

with respect to women bringing down, or building up each other, i hum that song done by donnie mcclurken on the soundtrack to 'the Gospel', which says:

i need you
you need me
we're all part of God's body
stand with me
believe with me
we're all part of God's body

it is His will that every need be supplied
you are important to me
i need you to survive

i need you
you need me
i love you
i need you to survive
i won't harm you with words from my mouth
i love you, i need you to survive...

just beautiful...i love the sentiment, and try to live it... after i heard it for the first time on the dvd, i then saw it praise danced so powerfully @ my mother in laws women's retreat last year.... so powerful!!! Godincidence!!! :)

have a great night,
i love you gals, and i stand with you. we need each other to survive!
amy jane

Post a Comment

Home