A Love Song
The love song of Solomon has been something that I found to be somewhat out of place. Right in the middle of the story of the Israelites peace we have a love song. King Solomon had many wives, not the ideal man one would want for a husband. Many of his wives, like the daughter of Pharaoh, were taken for political position not necessarily love. Now, he wants another woman and we get to read about it. This woman, unlike his other wives, sounds like she may have stolen the heart of the king. His persistent pursuit of the one he loved, helped me make a connection between this "somewhat out of place" book to my relationship with the Lord as the Lover of my Soul.

Solomon obviously had a deep abiding love for this woman. He pursued her. He would not take no for an answer. Even her early rejection of him did not stop the his pursuit. He knew what he wanted and did not stop until he got it.

The Lord is the same way with us. He has a deep abiding love for us. His pursuit of a loving relationship with us started when He sent His only Son to die as a demonstration of His love and a display of the depth to which He would go to have a personal and loving relationship with us. We are very much like the young woman in the song. We aren't sure of His love. We can't imagine this kind of love and don't understand the persistence. We resist His affections because of our lack of understanding and at times perhaps our unbelief that we are worthy of the love of a King.

But like Solomon did not give up on his love, God does not give up on us. He may sit silent for short season, letting us have our own way trying to fulfill our own desires but He is only a whisper away waiting for our "yes" or acceptance of His proposal. One commentary I read said "once the woman matured she accepted King Solomon's propsal." Many of us think we have to reach some level of Christian maturity, attend so much church, do enough good works to pay our sin debt, or complete so many Bible studies before we can accept such an offer from the King.

This is not true. Our King loves us just as we are, right where we are immaturity, poor church attendance, lack of good works, and incomplete Bibles studies and all. I say we stop running, let Him stop the pursuit, and accept the offer of everlasting love and riches from the Most High King.


9 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Oh Wendy, how I love that the Lord pursues us. I am a romantic at heart, and the great love affair I have with God often times takes my breath away.

The verse I highlighted was “Promise me,…not to awaken love until the time is right.” Song of Songs 2:7; 3:5; 8:4

Do not awaken love before it’s time.

Years ago I began praying this prayer over my son. Television, radio, internet, video games, magazines, theatre are all doing their part to seduce and entice. What used to be deemed as “inappropriate” is now the “norm”.

“Don’t excite love, don’t stir it up - until the time is right, and you’re ready.” (The Message)

Staying away from the awakening of romantic thoughts protects so much more than the mind. It shelters feelings that give way to actions. Vivian Padilla-Chapman writes in her article, “The Mother’s Heart”, “It is God’s wonderful plan for romantic love. However, if these awakenings happen during a season when they can’t be righteously fulfilled, they often lead down a path of hurt and regret, not only a loss of virginity.”

Praying for the Lord to shield my son’s heart will help to keep it from breaking unnecessarily. It will spare him from crushes, ruined friendships and unneeded distractions, enabling him to focus on what the Lord desires.

I long to help my almost 17 year old son see this season as a time of preparation and opportunity to be learning how to discern God’s voice and develop a deeper relationship with Him. May he seek God first and trust Him to awaken love in His time.

“Though it tarries wait for it; For it will certainly come, it will not delay.” Habakkuk 2:3

Trusting God,
Joy
PS. Lori, LOVED the enthusiasm in your comment here last night!!! I feel the same way...that anticipation and eagerness each day to spend time with God and read His Word. Keep it up!!! Hugs!

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Thanks Wendy, It is wonderful to have the Lord pursue us. I too have been guilty of thinking I need to get better or more word knowledge before I can be of any use for God. That is so wrong, God can use each of us right where we are at, IF we submit to Him.

Joy, I was struck by those verses as well. I watched a series that Kellie Copeland Swisher did and about being pure and not awakening love before it's time. Dedicating that time and emotion to a deeper more intimate relationship with God. Lisa Bevere also did a book and series on this "Kiss the Girls and make them cry".

Channeling those feelings towards God and building a solid foundation with Him, with out the distractions.

It is sometimes bitter sweet the lessons I have learned in my forties. (I'll be 46 in October). I am so thankful that God is revealing so much to me and I am growing so much, but sad I did not seek Him more earnestly before. I see the truth of His word and the protection He offers us at every moment and stage at our life. But we must seek and accept Him and His words in our life for them to benefit us.

We can't change our past - But we can change our future. I'm loving my Father today, for seeking me, for never giving up on me, for being the solid rock that never crumbled or changed. Through the good and the bad, for all the times in my life I said "come here, come here, come here, get away, get away, get away", .... He still stood by me. He fell in love with me - so I could fall in love with Him.
Thanks Abba Father.


Blessings everyone,
Lynn - OR

Blogger Brandee said...

Hi reading friends,
I wanted to post something about yesterday's reading since I just read it this morning :)

Just now reading this from yesterday's reading and wanted to say that I have learned the best of friends are the ones God puts in your life! I went through a season where He removed all my friends, I was lonely and felt isolated here in my home with a baby. But God used that time to grow me close to Him and to start a love relationship with Him. I needed those people removed from my life to be all He wanted me to be. He has more than made up for what He took away! The friends I have now are closer than any I have ever had in my entire life. I am amazed at how He always brings the right women into my life at just the right time. He has done that just this week and I am in awe!

I worked through a study of Song of Solomon a few years ago and it changed me so much! Good stuff!

I am so thankful God never stops pursuing us. If he did where would we all be? I don't even want to think about it!

Have a great day ladies,
Brandee

PS Will is doing great with his own "I am a Christian now study!" He has learned John 3:16 this week :)

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning from the Sunshine State!

I was a Christian growing up and attending church and for so many, many years missing out on the close relationship, that is so freely given by our Father. I believed in God, but just did not feel the excitement that people around me spoke about. In His precious timing he began pursing me and placing the right friends and studies in front of me, to allow me to fall, for the deepest love affair I'd never imagine possible!

I guess that is the place we get at with our own children. We instruct, we model, and then bit-by-bit we have to let go, and let God take over. The verses you mentioned Joy, I also underlined. I have the same prayers regarding my teenager's that you do. I remember, like it was yesterday, the Lord whispering to me, "it's time to let go, they are very capable." As my 'mother-hen' tendencies seem to run the gambit, I lean closer to God. Through His goodness, He's allowing me to let this happen naturally, and I'm having more time in my daily pursuance of Him!

I've found the last couple of years that our love relationship grows and deepens as we listen to Him speak to us as we read and meditate on His Word. He knows our needs even when we don't! And, He opens doors that we'd never even dream of!

This beautiful, dream-like, poem of love, paints a picture of Christ's love for His Church, and the love of a marriage relationship planned by the Creator. Each day our love for Christ continues to grow as we wait expectantly for that first sight of Him when He welcomes us home. (I Thess. 4:16,17)

I'm excited to listen to this Chapter, dramatized on tape today while doing some errands! What a perfect chapter to be reading as my husband and I look forward to celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary, this weekend! Can you imagine husband and wife reading this aloud together during their quiet time?! Might they possibly be late for work! Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!
Hugs, Lori - AZ

Blogger Karen said...

Yes, praying for our children these verses is very powerful. It would save them from so much hurt, but I am 50/50 on the outcome. My oldest did not awaken love until the time was right. Sometimes she felt too set apart; as it is hard for a young person to buck the norm. They really need to be surrounded by friends who support them in their decisions.

My younger daughter made different decisions. She is really struggling in her season of life right now; with low self-esteem issues, struggling with the residual of an abusive situation, and still I see her making some of the same destructive choices. I pray for her CONSTANTLY! God has wispered to me a number of times things like "it's okay, she is resting in my arms," or "you have to trust me, I am working a great work in her," or "I am strengthening her. This is her story and one day it will be her song as I rescue her." Yet I still pray and I confess, I don't always believe.

My memory passage about a month ago came from the Song of Solomon 8:6-7 (NIV) -

6 Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.

7 Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

I view this as the love we have from God; nothing can quench it, nothing can remove it, and we are encouraged to place it like a seal over our heart. I am taking comfort in this and I include the recitation of this verse in my prayers when I am feeling particularly discouraged.

Hugs to you all, thank you for sharing and listening!

Karen, CA

Anonymous Jan Hobbs said...

Wendy, thank you for your commentary today. I have never thought of The Song of Solomon in this light...a picture of the Savior pursuing me. I like that. I will start praying for Him to pursue me even more, I want more of Him.

I also will be praying for my grandkids, too, "not to awaken love until the time is right." I have one almost 17. Thank you Joy and all the others for this suggestion.

Jan TN

Blogger Deb said...

Oh my gosh...I guess I just took the reading from the Song of Songs as more of a positive look at the King and the gifts God blessed him with.

However I do love how you have found this to be a description of our love affair with God himself.
He does so pursue us...and in His time...when the time is right. Jesus is the lover of my soul!

Now back to the gifts God blessed Solomon with. In my journal I wrote, I loved the verses..."Kiss me and kiss me again, for your love is sweeter than wine." and "I am my lover's and my lover is mine"

Not only has God blessed Solomon with wisdom and an understanding heart but also with creativity and romance. I agree with you Lori from Az reading this as a couple would be powerful...perhaps better than a romance novel. LOL By the way HAPPY 24th ANNIVERSARY!

I judge we all know that we as women love romance. I am thankful for my husband and the ever growing deeper relationship that we have. Last year I was in the hosptial for an extended time. I later read some e-mails he saved for me that he sent to my SS women, my friends and our couple friends to update them. In one of them he wrote..."Deb is the love of my life." Wow, how powerful it was to read those words, (they went straight to my heart and meant so much to me) and the message it sent to others.

I guess we don't always let the ones we love know it enough. It's not about having the right partner it's just as much about being the right partner as well. Each giving 100% to the marriage.

It's the little things we can do for each other that are important. Doing something that lightens the others load. My husband started hiding this little bear with an "I love you" t-shirt around the house for me to find. I also hide it for him to find. Sometimes it's found right away and other times it has taken a month to find. But each time it is found it lets us know that the other took time to hide it and was thinking of us. This has spilled over to our family as well and they love the game as well.

Leaving "Love is cartoons" or little notes or cards on the table, mirror, lunch box or brief case, steering wheel are just a few of the little things that can keep that flame growing and glowing. So often life gets in the way of that couple time and romance.

If right now your relationship with the one you love is struggling or non-existent...know that there is the ONE who is and always will be the lover of your soul and that is Jesus! Bask in his comfort, warmth, love and strength.

Love from Debbie in Illinois

Anonymous Morgen said...

I too loved the "Lord pursuing me" twist on this read. Thank you Wendy!
Morgen - MN

Blogger Unknown said...

Wendy:

I love your take on this passage! It is time to stop rejecting and start returning the love that the Lord deserves!

Thank you for your continued great insight!

Rae, IL

Post a Comment

Home