"What sorrow await those who argue with their Creator."
Isaiah 45:9
Isaiah 45:9
The NASB begins our key verse with the word "woe." Neither "woe" or "sorrow" sound like something I want to have any part of. When woe is used as an interjection like in our key verse it means an exclamation of grief, distress, or lamentation. The Lord is lamenting for anyone who argues or quarrels with the their Creator. Quarrel means to strive, contend, to strive physically or with words, to conduct a case, to make complaint, to contend against. Just reading this definition exhausts me almost as much as arguing.
The key verse caused me to pause and ponder. Do I argue with my Creator? Do I physically exhaust myself striving to contend against the Lord and make complaint about how He is "running the show?" The Lord further explains His point by asking:
"Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!'"
Unfortunately this clay pot does argue with her maker. Using the words contend and complain are strong and don't give my heart the warm fuzzies I like to have when I think about my relationship with the Lord. But if I am honest with you and myself, I will have to admit there are times when I question the Lord's plans and pour out before Him my heart's confusion concerning injustices in the world. There are numerous times when I lay my complaints before the Lord about injustices done to me. All our complaining and arguing not only brings disappointment to the Lord but bring us distress and grief. I don't think anyone need or wants any added stress.
How do we avoid complaining about injustices and unfairness? We:
- Acknowledge He is sovereign over all things.
- Agree to trust Him to do what is just.
- Allow Him to bring about His plan of hope in our lives.
Our response to His sovreignity: acceptance.






6 Comments:
Wendy,
I highlighted the same verses today. They are familiar verses to me, but are new in the context in which we are reading them. I too have argued with my maker; thinking He somehow got it wrong...as Isaiah says in 44:18 "Such stupidity and ignorance!
Their eyes are closed, and they cannot see.
Their minds are shut, and they cannot think."
But there is again the promise; (Isaiah 44:22) "I have swept away your sins like a cloud.
I have scattered your offenses like the morning mist.
Oh, return to me,
for I have paid the price to set you free.”
Thank you God for putting up with me. For taking my pride and my self-sufficiency and sweeping them away. Thank you for not listening to my arrogance and arguing and for turning my words to praise for your goodness. And most of all, thank you for paying the price to set me free! I struggle to comprehend that payment; it is painful and I feel unworthy. Allow me to see your suffering, death and resurrection in the way you want me to see it, so I can dwell on it and see the beauty and the gift instead of only the sacrifice, pain and suffering that bring me to tears. Create in me a humble heart that is willing to see what you teach me each day so that I become a vessel filled with your living water that pours itself out for others.
Amen.
What a humble reading this morning! I too have questioned and argued with God about events and happening in my life. It didn't get me anywhere. I still find that I do at times. But the neat thing is that I catch myself now.
As I have grown in the Lord being able to just trust the moment and situation He has me in is huge. Being able to thank him for the difficult times instead of questioning them.
Acceptance is a hard thing, it is even harder when I think in terms of "forever". I need to keep things in the moment. After all isn't that all we have?
Diane
Wendy, thank you for this wisdom today. I so needed it.
I found myself in a situation in which I was complaining to the Lord about a person in my life who complains all the time. Then it hit me, after reading your post, I am no better.
I decided that rather than spending one more minute complaining, I needed to repent and start praising God for this person instead.
Again, thank you for your obedience to write what only God knows we need to hear.
See you next week!
Like this statement:
Acknowledge He is sovereign over all things. Agree to trust Him to do what is just. Allow Him to bring about His plan of hope in our lives. Our response to His sovreignity: acceptance.
Raylene
It is so hard sometimes not to question and complain. I think of Psalm 142:2, "I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble." I think it depends on our heart attitude. Sharing in disappointment and sorrow is a lot different than arguing and demanding our own rights. Sometimes I know I should be "complaining" to the Lord instead of a close friend.
"In acceptance lieth peace."
Today I was struck with the thought of freedom. "I have paid the price to set you free." Isaiah 44:22
I sat at the table in the sunroom and watched as a moth beat it’s wings tirelessly on the window screen. My heart was torn. I wanted to scream at this little insect to turn around. I wanted to yell at it - YOU ARE OUTSIDE! The entire world is behind you. Without hesitation and with keen determination this moth relentlessly kept trying to force itself inside the room. Open space surrounded him. Miles and miles to fly. Sights to see. Adventures to appreciate. Yet, as if controlled by some invisible force, all day this moth didn’t stop it’s frantic pursuit. He didn’t understand his reality. He was already free.
Too often I am like that moth. I’m beating my wings against the prison walls that hold me captive. If I would just turn around and embrace Him. God’s Word tells me that it is for freedom that He has set me free. (Galatians 5:1) Has set me free. Past tense. The work has been completed. Any stronghold that binds me is my choice, for it is not necessary. Freedom is my portion and God’s plan. May my life not nullify all that Christ has accomplished so I can soar to new heights with Him.
Free,
Joy
Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.
Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.
P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]
Post a Comment
Home