"He ate grass like a cow, and he was drenched with the dew of heaven."
Daniel 4:33b
Daniel 4:33b
The visual of the high king of Babylon driven from society, having hair like an eagle's feathers and nails like a bird's claws eating grass makes me kind of sick. What happened to make such a harsh judgment fall on the king. Let's press rewind.
Back in Daniel 2, Daniel, also called by his Babylonian name Belteshazzar, had just interpreted the king's dream. Nebuchadnezzar declared praise to Daniel and Daniel's God as well as promoted him to a high position. After declaration of praise to "the greatest of all gods," he then builds a ninety-foot statue to himself. Fast-forward to today's reading and its application.
There are times when we need a God-moment, times when we beg for God's intervention. The God of Heaven pauses to hear and answer our request. We receive the God-moment, the moving of a mountain we requested. The pomp and circumstance of praise and celebration come quickly. Just as quickly our gratitude is forgotten and we return to our old ways forgetting our God is the greatest of all gods. We go about the business of our lives building ourselves up "higher and higher" producing "fruit for all to eat" thinking "we are all that and a box of chocolate, too." (dark of course)
Then the Lord in his sovereignty comes and trims down our "height," prunes our "fruit," and sends us out to chomp on some grass. (I don't want to try to make an analogy with the hair like eagle feathers and bird claws. Smile) He does all this for one purpose: until we learn that the Most High rules over the kingdoms of the world and gives them to anyone He chooses.
Does anyone besides me need a toothpick?
There are times when we need a God-moment, times when we beg for God's intervention. The God of Heaven pauses to hear and answer our request. We receive the God-moment, the moving of a mountain we requested. The pomp and circumstance of praise and celebration come quickly. Just as quickly our gratitude is forgotten and we return to our old ways forgetting our God is the greatest of all gods. We go about the business of our lives building ourselves up "higher and higher" producing "fruit for all to eat" thinking "we are all that and a box of chocolate, too." (dark of course)
Then the Lord in his sovereignty comes and trims down our "height," prunes our "fruit," and sends us out to chomp on some grass. (I don't want to try to make an analogy with the hair like eagle feathers and bird claws. Smile) He does all this for one purpose: until we learn that the Most High rules over the kingdoms of the world and gives them to anyone He chooses.
Does anyone besides me need a toothpick?






14 Comments:
Wendy
You are so right and yes I feel I need the toothpick and will you please tell me if there is something Green in my teeth. (smile)
It is horrible how we let things slide with our walk when life is going smooth. I try (and fall short) to praise God in those times of calm that He is giving me Mercy and rest.
Lord help me to seek and lean on you always. Help me to listen to your instructions and be obedient.
In Jesus name,
Amen
Lynn - OR
PS - I like Prefer Dark Choc too!
Yeah, me too... pass the toothpicks on... :)
I liked these passages from Daniel. They were a wake-up call. I also liked the verses King Nebuchadnezzer prayed when his sanity returned and he worshiped the Most High:
His rule is everlasting,
and his kingdom is eternal.
All the people of the earth
are nothing compared to him.
He does as he pleases
among the angels of heaven
and among the people of the earth.
No one can stop him or say to him,
‘What do you mean by doing these things?’ - Daniel 4:34(b)-35.
I am wondering what Ezekiel saw being measured? I am not good a visualizing a space that is described in words and not in drawings. It is hard for me to create a "mind picture" of this place, but I am struck by how precise every gateway is, and how exactly they all match one another. I don't know what to make of it yet, so I am off to read some commentaries.
I am flying back to CA tomorrow! My flight leaves at 6:00 am and I arrive at noon (That's a LONG 6 hours, when it is really 15 travel hours). I will see my husband again after a month and my daughters will both come home too. I am so looking forward to it! My husband will come back with me at the end of September and we will look for a permanent address here. Please pray for safe travels for me.
Jodie, any news? I am praying for a safe and quick delivery and a happy and healthy addition to your family!
Peace to you all,
Karen, Basel
Hi Karen,
It's 3:30am here and still no little Thumper. Obviously, I can't sleep :) Again, we had some signs he/she was on the way but I guess it was not God's timing. I have yet another OB appt this afternoon. I am getting rather impatient!
Thanks for your continued prayers. As I have been posting, please keep my mother in law in your prayers as well - praying for miracle healing of breast cancer for her.
December Rose a prayer for you...
Dear Heavenly Father, I ask for miracles, signs and wonders for December Rose, for my mother-in-law and anyone else dealing with cancer. I ask Holy Spirit to breath new life into their bodies, to bring everything back into Your Divine alignment. I break off any spirits of infirmity, cancer and sickness. I break off any anxiety, fear and doubt in Your ability to overcome these things. Lord I speak peace into their spirits and those of their family and friends, that You are in control...with plans to prosper and not to harm. I ask that You send the angels to protect and comfort - that no weapon formed against them shall prosper. I thank you for all You are doing both seen and unseen. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.
Have a great day ladies, I hope to be in the hospital myself :)
Jodie
God is faithful to keep us humble. We are "all that and a field of grass"!
I am thinking about all the scriptures we have read about the Shepherd and His pasture. Though this was a strong and palpable discipline for Ol' King Neb, it is neat that a grassy field, a pasture of sorts, is used by God as the "time out" spot to correct him.
Now, I'd like not to deal with the feathers and claws....Neb needed a salon visit after all of that...hair cut and manly manicure.
God is holy, mighty and reigns. I am so thankful He is faithful to keep us humble. May we live lives of obedience. But by His grace and mercy....
That should be a cross stitch sampler..."Sometimes We Have To Eat A Little Grass." It's a good reminder or life check; am I on my way out to pasture (I don't like to eat green things). lol
Thanks again, Wendy!
nancy
Great post, dear Wendy, one that we all can relate to! Forget "a" tooth pick...pass me a whole box please! :)
Karen~Praying for safe travels for you/family...Nancy, Love your cross stitch idea! lol...Praying for you, Jodie, and your M.I.L. My first baby was 2 weeks late...hang in there! Susan, I too went thru a very similar situation. The verse God brought to my attention was, "Do not fear bad news; confidently trust the LORD to care for you." When we face uncertainty, we put our trust in God who said: "Heaven and earth shall pass away; but My Words shall not pass away." Mark 13:31.
I wish I had the space to tell you everything that I was taught by Him during the period of time of "waiting." By the end, I was brought to my knees, realizing it did not matter. It was in His hands. Either way, I'd be ok, because He cared for me. I felt peace all around me.
Today's verse:
"Pay close attention to everything I show you. You have been brought here so I can show you many things. Then you will return to the people of Israel and tell them everything you have seen." 40:4
Daily, if we are listening to Him, He has many things He is trying to show us. If we would just take our mind off of ourselves and focus on Him! He reveals His Glory all around us. Then, we can share this encouragement, and the God Moments with those around us.
Oh, dear sisters...God is good, all of the time! Thank you dear Lord, for choosing me, a sinner, to house your Holy Temple! Let me not take this special privilege for granted. You dwell inside of me! Your presence of the Spirit of God is a priceless gift of eternal life with You. Lord, I love you with my whole heart. Keep me clinging to You dear Lord.
Blessings sweet sisters! Lori - AZ
This scripture keeps coming to my mind:
Isaiah 42:8
I am the LORD: that is My name: and My glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
God does not share His glory. Rightly so. Neb got it in the end:
Daniel 4:37
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything He does is right and all His ways are just. And those who walk in pride He is able to humble.
Thanks, Wendy! We are SOAKING UP the water that flows from the sanctuary through this One-Year Chrono Bible study! Thank you! Imagine the fruit!
Ez. 47:12
Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing."
BECAUSE THE WATER FROM THE SANCTUARY FLOWS TO THEM!
Woo Hoo! :)
Goodmorning all,
So often we forget, in the good times, that God is the one who sustains us and provides, the one who withholds nothing good from those who trust in Him. Sometimes He really has to give us a wakeup call for us to get back on tract, and thank God he does!!!!!
Thanks for the encouragement through your writing Wendy. Many times in my daily reading, the meaning does not come right away, but when I read your comments, the light bulb goes off....I thank God for you. Be encouraged, you are doing a wonderful job.
Be blessed all!
Chanan, Bahamas.
Sharon,
I liked what you said, "...for Ol'King Neb, it is neat that a grassy field, a pasture of sorts, is used by God as the "time out" spot to correct him."
While David sinned as well, he repented in humbleness and turned from evil ways. The pasture God sent him to was a place of rest, "He makes me lie down in green pastures, He restores my soul."
Our God is a God of second chances - it is His desire to correct and "turn" us, not to leave us in a sinful state. As King Neb put it, "My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever." Dan 4:34
I love the quote, "God loves me just as I am, but He loves me so much He won't leave me that way."
To rephrase that "God loves me, green teeth and all; but He loves me so much He hands me a toothpick!"
PS Jodie, thank you for your prayer. Can't wait to "meet" Thumper! Will be praying for a safe delivery.
I love Daniel - especially after doing Beth Moore's study. It was intense and interesting! I liked all of your thoughts ladies! Thank you so much for speaking to my soul.
Jodie - that first baby is a special one. I remember a distinct feeling that I had never really known what love felt like before until I had a child. It's a good reminder of how God looks at and feels toward us - multiplied 10x! Love so amazing and deep. Enjoy!
Peace
Morgen - MN
Wow gracious ladies! Every single post was inspiring to me to day! You are all on the ball!
I have also experienced being "put out to pasture" for awhile...very humbling for sure! But when God's been trying to get your attention and you continually try going the road alone he has to do something to get your attention...Then it's like duh I should have had a V-8 moment! And longing for a Calgon take me away moment in the hair and nail salon!
Sharon I loved that you said the grassy pasture was a "Time Out" spot God chose for Old King Neb.
It could have been worse..it could of been the desert! At least he was well cared for! Now there's the positive in what we view as a negative situation...and also a positive outcome. I also was so well cared for when I was put out to pasture...and humbled I was, ready to serve, and praising God with the outcome!
I keep coming back to Romans 8:28..."God makes good of all things for those who love Him and are called to His purpose." Sometimes I judge we need the grass between our teeth!
Jodie praying that babe of yours makes her appearance. Sometimes after that last gyne appointment things start to happen! Best wishes can't wait to here the news!
Also praying for your mother-n-law and those who are struggling with the news of cancer. May you all feel God's presence and I am reminded to share that God has the whole picture, He is in control at a time you may feel you have little to none. May He hold you all in the palm of his loving and healing hands! Amen
Karen-Enjoy time with the fam...and for sure your husband...absence makes the heart grow fonder they say- a month can be a long time when we are away from the ones we love. Safe travels may you experience God's presence.
Love from Debbie in Illinois
Sweet Ladies, I have to admit that I haven't read today's readings yet, but thanks to your wonderful comments, I am anxious too.
Thank you all for being encouragers and fellow grass eaters. :-)
Pay close attention to everything I show you. You have been brought here so I can show you many things. Then you will return to the people of Israel and tell them everything you have seen." 40:4
I've been listening to this song all day and it has renewed my passion for seeing the world through the eyes of Christ.
Give me your eyes: Brandon Heath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihvG607W-c&feature=channel
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
I Pete 5:6
If we humble ourselves:God won't have to put us in the "time out" spot of his choice. :-)
Blessings!
Debbie - North Carolina
Great post Wendy. Pass the toothpicks this way too! So enjoyed everyone's comments here. Such a wealth of sharing - you are all such precious treasures!!!!
My verse this day was “I want you to know about the miraculous signs and wonders the Most High has performed for me.” Daniel 4:2
Encouragement to share our God stories of times the Lord has miraculously intervened in our lives. The retelling of God's Hand on our lives might just be the message He would use to strengthen another heart.
Thanks gals for the times your sharing has provided that strength to me.
Hugs,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home