"How long must I put with you?"
Mark 9:19
Mark 9:19
These words echoed in my mind and just as they started to fade I read them again in Matthew 17:17:
"How long must I put with you?"
Who is Jesus talking to? He is talking to the disciples-His followers. These are the men He chose to mentor and teach while He was on earth. These men had seen Him turn water to wine, give sight to the blind, make the lame to walk, and set the demon-possessed free. They were recipients of the power to heal and cast out demons. But for some reason they were unable to heal this boy.
Jesus said it was because of little faith-unbelief. We just talked about this term a few days and here we are again. A message well-worth repeating.
I have been chosen by God to be mentored and taught while on this earth. There are countless miracles He has done in my life as well as others I know but still my faith is not where it needs to be. Do I really believe I could move a mountain-figuratively speaking? Some days I do and other days I don't. Now these words will be etched in my mind when God wants to do something among me and in my heart I don't belief He can do, "Wendy, how long must I put up with you." And might I add, Haven't you learned anything yet?"
Oh Lord, stay with me as long as it takes for me to experience greater faith in you-mustard seed faith. I long to hear you say, Wendy, what a privilege it is to put up with you."
Jesus said it was because of little faith-unbelief. We just talked about this term a few days and here we are again. A message well-worth repeating.
I have been chosen by God to be mentored and taught while on this earth. There are countless miracles He has done in my life as well as others I know but still my faith is not where it needs to be. Do I really believe I could move a mountain-figuratively speaking? Some days I do and other days I don't. Now these words will be etched in my mind when God wants to do something among me and in my heart I don't belief He can do, "Wendy, how long must I put up with you." And might I add, Haven't you learned anything yet?"
Oh Lord, stay with me as long as it takes for me to experience greater faith in you-mustard seed faith. I long to hear you say, Wendy, what a privilege it is to put up with you."






9 Comments:
Oh Wendy, how my heart resonates with yours this morning. My faith most often seems so small. My trust so lacking. How encouraged I am, that size of faith is not important, but it's the Object of my faith that requires my attention. Lord, let me see You as who You are...a mountain moving God. Help me to believe You when You say, nothing is impossible with You. Faith unchallenged is faith unchanged. Lord help me take steps to exercise my faith in You.
This morning another little phrase took my attention. “…they were afraid to ask him…” Luke 9:45
I’ve never been good at asking questions. Hesitant to raise my hand in class, I would hope someone else would inquire about things I still didn’t understand. I was extremely shy and average in my learning abilities. I felt silence kept me from ridicule and being labelled stupid by my peers.
This extended outside the classroom. When I was a little girl, my sister and I had an unique method of approaching our parents with a request. We would write our desire on a piece of paper, then fold it very carefully into the shape of a paper airplane. Locating the whereabouts of mom and dad, we would point our plane towards it’s required destination, and as co-pilots, we would send it airborne, announcing loudly, “Airmail, Airmail”.
The question always comes back to me. Why did we do this? Was it only fun? Were we expressing creativity? Or, did our actions stem from a root of fear? Afraid to ask a question even of our parents. That thought doesn’t settle well with me. Were we afraid of mom and dad?…our question?…or the answer? What prompted such an action?
In our reading today we read that the disciples were afraid to ask Jesus what they didn’t understand. Were they afraid of being seen as unintelligent? Certainly they weren’t nervous of their Friend and Teacher. Maybe they sensed the question, or the answer, would reflect poorly on them and their lack of comprehension.
The Lord desires we come to Him with all that concerns us. He doesn’t want us to be frightened of Him or His responses. No question is ever wrong. He will never label us a dunce because of our lack of understanding. I’m sure it breaks His heart to see anyone afraid of Him.
Have I ever been nervous to approach Him? I’m just wondering why…
Pondering in His presence,
Joy
I hear you loud and clear Wendy and Joy. Too many times I let fear and unbelief rule my life!
Today I got stuck on Mark 9:50 referring to salt and us needing to have the qualities of salt. I researched further and found some interesting tidbits. See if these facts resonate with you too.
When shrimp are soaked in salt water, it draws out old dead blood and unclean parts of the shrimp and leaves it clean. hhmmmm. Salt kills germs - it burns when it hits a raw spot but effectively cleans a wound so it can heal. hhmmm again.
I also found this sermon outline: A good Christian exhibits the qualities of salt:
1) we add flavor to the life around us
2) we preserve the good of God's creation
3) we bring healing to hurting people.
I now feel I have a better grasp on what the biblical references to salt are getting at.
Happy Tuesday all! I have a vacation day today, but my 14 yr old son is home too - with influenza or H1N1 symptoms - but he's doing very well as of last night. I think I'll let him sleep in this morning and we'll see where the day takes us!
Morgen - MN
My heart just took a deep breath as I read your words this morning. I even felt a sweet, gentle whisper in my ear, saying...."I'm talking to you..."
Gut check. Heart check. Faith check.
Thank you for your honesty!
Amen!
It's been a while since I stopped by Wendy. I love the new look. You are in my prayers today.
Blessings,
Pearls
Amen!!!! You know your blog reminds me of how much Jesus is our father. Like a parent, how many times must he say "why do you not understand.....why do you not get it?" Yet like a parent He still loves us and works with us until we do.
Isn't it scary to think that he might stop 'putting up' with us, and isn't it SO WONDERFUL that He doesn't??!
Thanks for the blog challenge!
I am so thankful that Jesus continues to "put up with me." I'm sitting here thinking on what life would be without him and it scares me to death
It is amazing how when we think of how God longs for us. Then to pose the question "How long must I put up with you?" It really sets you back and makes you think. Today it made me think "please God just one more day, one more hour, one more minute." Every breath I take is that one minute, how am I spending it?
God blesses me with so much when I have the faith to walk into the unknown. The times I don't feel blessed are the times I don't walk by faith.
Great thoughts today ladies.
Hugs,
Diane
Post a Comment
Home