"A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart."
Matthew 12:34
Matthew 12:34
When I read this verse in Luke (6:45) October 3 I paused. Today, I paused again and pondered, "Two gospels record this verse using the exact same wording? Hmm? What is a good person?
There are 44 different Greek translations of the word good in the New Testament. Our good is agathos. It is defined as of good nature, useful, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, and happy. Good is used three times in our key verse and all three uses are translated agathos. Literally, it means a person of good nature who is pleasant agreeable, joyful, and happy will produce good nature, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, and happy things which come from a good nature, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, and happy heart. What a mouthful I know! I am going somewhere-bear with me.
What is the source of the production of good nature, agreeable, joyful, and happy things? Oh this is good -from the treasury of a good heart. The Greek transliteration for treasure is thesauros. It means a place where good and pleasant things or valuables are kept. What should we keep in our heart? Go with me to Psalm 119:11:
"I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
We can escape our desperate need for God's Word. We can't substitute is worth or value with anything else. It is how we become a good person. It impossible without God and His Word to become good-natured. How can we be pleasant and agreeable without His teaching deeply rooted in our heart? There is no way to be joyful and happy apart from an abiding presence of His Word in our heart.
Oh, I want to be a good person!
Oh Lord, hear.
Oh Lord, forgive.
Oh Lord, listen and act.
I want to be a good person. Help me Lord to be a good person. Give me an unending desire to have a deep treasury of Your Word from which to draw so that good may come from my heart.






11 Comments:
Amen Wendy!
And "by their fruit you will recognize them!"
To carry on from Joy's discussion about honoring the Lord's name, today we hear about blaspheming the Holy Spirit as an unforgivable sin, a "sin with eternal consequences." I shudder to think! I also know that this passage (or these passages; Mark 3:29 and Matthew 12:31-32) sometimes cause people to loose heart and not pursue the Word of God because they feel they have already blasphemed the Holy Spirit by their actions and their words. Sometimes this feeling springs from "negative Christians" around them who condemn the acts of the person who may be struggling with this issue, leading to a hopeless state of heart. And if God is a God of forgiveness, and if someone really repents, does God with-hold forgiveness in this case?
So I went to the commentaries again. Here is an interesting list and point of view on this subject:
i. This idea of one sin that ends in eternal condemnation has troubling many. Some feel totally defeated and hopeless before God, convinced that they have committed this unpardonable sin.
ii. We recognize the terrible danger of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and our need to avoid this sin at all cost. At the same time, we guard our hearts against the unwarranted accusation of this sin.
iii. We understand what the blasphemy of Holy Spirit is by first understanding what the ministry of the Holy Spirit is all about. Regarding the ministry of the Holy Spirit Jesus said, when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment (John 16:8), and that He will testify of Me (John 15:26).
iv. Therefore, when we persistently reject the work the Holy Spirit wants to do in us, when we have a continued, settled rejection of what He wants to tell us about Jesus, then we blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
v. The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven - not because it is a sin “too big” for God to forgive, but because it is an attitude of heart that cares nothing for God’s forgiveness. It never has forgiveness because it never wants forgiveness God’s way.
vi. The way to not blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to receive Jesus Christ today! Simply stop resisting His work of drawing you to Jesus, and surrender your life to Jesus today.
vii. “These words were never intended to torment anxious souls honestly desiring to know Christ, but they stand out as a blazing beacon warning of the danger of persisting in the rejection of the Spirit’s testimony of Christ, until the seared conscience no longer responds to the gospel message.” (Ironside) - David Guzik
That gives me comfort and a way to minister to people who might be feeling discouraged. It is not too big a sin for God to forgive, it is a heart matter. And God can change even the most hardened heart; through our intercessory prayers.
With the Word of God in our hearts, the Holy Spirit in us,
and being sisters with Christ (Matthew 12:49-50, Mark 3:34-35, Luke 8:21) we are powerful to bear good fruit.
Blessings and peace,
Karen
What a great thought to start out the day. Thanks, Wendy.
While walking down the hallway, I overheard someone say, "She's smiling today; she must be in a good mood". This was a good reminder to go along with Matt 12:34. Wearing a smile is just as important as putting on my clothes.
Karen, it is like you read my thoughts this morning. I was wondering what blaspheming the Holy Spirit could mean. Thanks for clearning that up...you explained the thought very well.
Have a wonderful day, Ladies.
nancy
Wendy, thanks for all the insight! I love when you give the meanings behind words, it really gives more meaning to what we are reading. I think that is why I like Beth Moore so much too, she goes deeper as well.
Karen, thank you too for your insights. When I read, "Therefore, when we persistently reject the work the Holy Spirit wants to do in us," ouch, conviction hit me! How long have I been struggling with the same sin over and over again knowing God wants to change me? I think I am have some confessing and repenting to do today. True repenting, not just "I won't do it again" and turn right back to the same pattern. True repentance means turning from that sin and not doing it anymore.
There was one phrase in Luke's account of the Story of the Farmer Scattering Seed that caught my eye this morning. Matthew, Mark and Luke all record the parable, but Luke uses a different wording in Luke 8:6 for the seed that fell among the rocks. The other two accounts say that the plants wilted in the hot sun because they did not have deep roots. Luke says, "It began to grow, but the plant soon wilted and died for lack of moisture." Lack of moisture- Living Water. We have to have Living Water to make it! We have to have Jesus and, as Wendy pointed out, His Word being put into our hearts every single day. He is our spring of living water (Jeremiah 17:13; John 4:10, 7:38).
Jeremiah 2:13 says, "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water." As we just read last week, we have to build our house on the Rock of Christ and His ways and the truth of the Word. Anything else is building on sand that will not stand up against the pressures and realities of the world we live in. Our broken cisterns will not hold water. I spent most of my life living the world's way and it is sinking sand. Praise the Lord I am now building my life on the Rock and no matter what storms may come I have a firm foundation!
You all have a blessed day! I am getting everyone off to work and school this morning and looking forward to a quiet day at home getting caught up on things I did not get to do last week with Will home the whole week.
Seeking Him today,
Brandee, TN
Thank you Wendy and Karen,
Have a wonderful day everyone!
Lynn - OR
Brandee
That was good too, Thanks.
Lynn
Monday...Hello, Everyone!
Thank you Wendy! I love your teaching today, along with the rest of you gals!
I loved Jesus' parable of the 4 kinds of ways that people react when they hear His Word.
1. Some are indifferent, having no concern for it.
2. Others' first are receptive, but later lose interest...
3. Then, there are the people who seem to recognize the worth of eternal life, but just never make a break from their past. The "things" of the world keep them from being devoted to the Lord. They just can't seem to 'weed' them out, and eventually they take control of their hearts. God just gets crowded out.
But...
The 4th group! :) That's us sisters! :) A more serious group of people who hear the Word of God and are seeking to know Him, more and more each day! We are eager to be sown on good ground. We want to be filled with the Holy Spirit and bring forth fruit. We work to remove the things that "hinder" our spiritual growth...We seek Jesus to weed out and take away the thorns and our strongholds. Daily, we want to abide in Him. I want the Spirit to control my life, with my earthly self constantly at war against my spiritual self...I continually submit to the Holy Spirit. Abiding in His presence throughout the day. Anticipating Him and seeing His Glory all around me. Filled with Him. A day in victory!
I love reading the stories Jesus told. Wendy, I'm with you, I so "desire to have a deep treasury of Your Word from which to draw so that good may come from my heart."
Enjoy this beautiful fall day, all!
Lori - AZ
ps Diane, I read your comments this morning from yesterday. I'm getting ready to lift you up in prayer dear friend! Hugs!
Hi Again,
I listened to a song this morning while walking that drew me back to my earlier comments…
The 3rd group I was talking about-
Mark 4:18,19
“The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life,{overwhelmed with problems and the worry that comes along with them,] the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced.”
Matthew West’s, The Motions song…
Many Christians are in this group…at least this is where I was for so many years, not even realizing how much I was missing out on! Just going through the motions and thinking this was good enough! But, as Matthew says, ’Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingless of this life…
‘Cause I don’t wanna go through the motions…
I don’t wann go one more day without Your all consuming passion inside of me”
The 4th group of people I was talking about in my earlier comments,-
Mark 4:0 And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s word and produced a harvest of thirty, sixty, or e even a hundred times as much as had been planted.”
His song again…“Take me all the way…Lord I’m feeling something real…Your all consuming passion inside of me. This might hurt, it’s not safe But I know that I’ve gotta make a change… I don’t care if I break…
At least I’ll be feeling something…” Belonging to this last group is not always the easiest group to be a part of. Letting go of our own wants and desire to want what God wants for us. Not always fitting in with the “group.” Listening to the voice inside and obeying. Stepping out of the box (as Joy so beautifully allows us to grasp this concept) in faith; believing in God to be there with us.
Oh, today I wan to cling to the Vine (Jesus!) - to abide in Him, and to bring forth much fruit. (John 15:5).
Sorry about this being so long, just got so excited about it all over again after listening to Matthew West’s song!
Lori - AZ
OK, I'm going to simply apologize in advance for writing a lot today! There's just so much here.
Wendy, so appreciated your post. Oh that His joy might be reflected through me, coming from a heart completely His.
Karen, thank you for all your research. I too was questioning the meaning of those verses.
Concerning the seed, two things struck me: 1. Notice there was never anything wrong with the seed; and 2. We are called to "scatter". The only ground we need to worry about is our own, but other than that we must obey and scatter the seed, leaving the result up to the Holy Spirit's work. Too often we decide the "ground" is already not prepared or welcoming so we don't sow. Again, that's not up to us to decide. We need to be obedient in the scattering.
The verse that completely took my attention today was “Teacher, we want you to show us a miraculous sign…” Matthew 12:38
Don’t we all.
Yesterday morning my heart was overflowing with compassion as I stood in church to sing. My eyes were drawn to several families. Two little boys, brothers, absolutely adorable, stood in the pew in front of me, with whom I’m presuming is their uncle. You see, their daddy has just recently been diagnosed with leukemia and he is undergoing treatment. These boys were being so considerate of each another, the older continually checking that the younger had a clear path of vision to the lyrics on the screen ahead. At one point, the elder of the two tried lifting his sibling. So cute, when the “elder” appeared to be about eight years old. When this idea failed miserably, he then allowed his little brother to stand on his feet to give him that extra inch or two of height.
From there my eyes fell on a single mom with her three children. This precious young woman, touched by separation, has just recently been left to bring up her children on her own. The youngest daughter was in her arms. As we continued singing, this sweet cherub began styling her mom’s hair. A ponytail was her choice today. With sheer delight she continued to comb her mommy’s hair with her hands, working a creative masterpiece, oblivious to onlookers. The mom sang on.
Not far from this family stood a couple who only recently have returned to the Lord. My eyes tear up every time I see them enter the church. A few months ago their youngest child, still a baby, became critically ill and it was discovered she had diabetes. Heaping this news onto an already physically exhausted mom with three young children has been overwhelming. Yet, here they stood, singing praises.
My heart cried out to the Lord for each one of them as my eyes filled with tears.
Lord, I want You to show me a miraculous sign on behalf of these precious ones. I want to see a daddy healed, a family restored and a life renewed. Father, show me a miracle.
Suddenly the scales of darkness were removed. I was looking at three miracles.
The Lord showed me that sometimes the miracle is in the strength to carry on. It’s in the power to get up each morning. It’s in standing and singing a true sacrifice or praise and believing that even though circumstances speak cruelly, God is good…all the time. Sometimes a miracle is following God by faith when we don’t see Him working. As Beth Moore says, when no obvious miracle comes there is good theology in ‘I can’t find Him, but I know He’s there.’ The miracle can be seen in caring pals, ponytails and praise.
Yes Teacher, I have seen miraculous signs. Let's be watchful for the miracles that come wrapped differently, but are still as wonderful,
Joy
If you ladies get a chance watch this Matthew West video for The Motions song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dva6-Yu3zkI&feature=channel
WOW! I am humbled and on my knees today from what you all have written and shared and what God is doing in my heart. Yesterday when I was reading the reading for today I went on and read through the first part of tomorrow's as well since it continues with the explanation of the seed parable. I wrote prayers all over October 6th's reading.
Lord, may my heart not be hardened. May I not look and not really see or understand. May I have ears that hear and eyes to see all that You say and show me! May my husband's heart not be hardened and may his eyes see and ears hear, that his heart will understand so that he will turn to You and let You heal him. May You produce a HUGE harvest in our family! Be HUGE in our lives Lord! May we truly hear, understand and CLING to Your Word. Lord Jesus I give You my all, not just go through the motions but let You take me all the way!
Oh ladies, I am praising His name today! WooHoo! Praise You Lord!
I don't know if anyone will read this since it is already Tuesday, but my struggle with this is that my hubby is not a Christian but he is such a good person, in my eyes, better than me...more kind, more compassionate, more integrity, etc. I have such a hard time reconciling this with me being a Christian who strives to follow Christ and him not being one, but being more godly. Any help out there for this? Thank you ladies for being an inspiration through this year. And, I am so glad to be back on track and posting and reading this blog again. Thank you Wendy.
порно онлайн училку на столе http://free-3x.com/ ххх малолетки онлайн free-3x.com/ порно русских студентов в онлайне [url=http://free-3x.com/]free-3x.com[/url]
Post a Comment
Home