"Then the Lord said to him, " You Pharisees are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy- full of greed and wickedness."
Luke 11:39
Luke 11:39
I give the same instructions to my 9-year old dirt-dobber son every night as he goes upstairs to take his bath. "Wash good. Every part of your body. With soap and water. And a washcloth. Put the soap on the washcloth and wash every part of your body with the washcloth, even inside your ears." All the way upstairs he mumbles, "I know, I know, I will." Later when we sit down to study or read, I see it: the dirt in his ears. He thinks since the ear is small I can't see the dirt. He doesn't understand that dirt can cause infection and infection can lead to temporary loss of hearing.
This Pharisee did not realize how wicked he was, inside. He thought since he tithed, sat in a seat of honor, hung around important people, made important laws, and built monuments to important people he was good and better than others. He knew how to look "right" and "clean" on the outside but was totally aware of the uncleanliness of his inside.
We often resemble the Pharisee, taking time and putting effort into all the wrong things: our outside appearance. Our Father tells us, "Wash good. Wash every part, especially your inside." We fool ourselves into thinking the area of our dirt (sin) is located is small and can't been seen. He knows that dirt (sin) can cause "infection" and "infection" can lead to temporary loss of hearing.
I have had enough hearing loss lately. I could use a good washing, how about you?






2 Comments:
Wendy, I think of Peter's words to Jesus in John 13, Lord, don't just wash my feet, but my hands and head as well. Wash all of me. A thorough cleansing inside and out.
So many get caught in keeping up appearances, thinking that looking good is more important than being good. It's the difference between religion and relationship. I don't want to experience a spiritual "healing loss".
Today this phrase caught my attention: "...the crowd pressed in on Jesus..." Luke 11:29
Today, again, I'm pressing in. Elbowing through the crowd. Needing to lean all my wait, all my worry, and all my questioning and wondering. Pressing issues are pushing me to press in. Pressing past satan's echoing words to His whispers. Past my doubts to His certain. Past my insecurities to His acceptance. Past the gathering of mockers and naysayers to His cloud of witnesses. Past lies to His truth. Past my unknowns to His sure. Past my now and my sight to His not yet and His unseen.
Pressing into the throne room.
Pressing into Jesus presence.
Pressing into His heart.
Pressing deeper.
Pressing further.
Pressing longer.
Pressing.
Joy
I am so thankful he gives an opportunity to have that "good washing" everyday. That His mercies are new each day.
Post a Comment
Home