It has been over 2 years since my sweet daughter has gotten a "real" haircut. She has longed for long hair her whole life and her hair grows so slow. Bless her heart, she was bald as an onion until she was almost 2 years old. Then when her hair did come in, it was stringy and very unruly. So when her hair finally started to grow and grow pretty, she did not want it cut, until today.
She made the decision in her young heart to donate her long-awaited long hair to Pantane's Beautiful Lengths. This holiday season, she give a sacrificial gift of her hair to be used to help make a wig for a child who does not have hair because of chemical therapy. I am so proud of her. It isn't often I post pictures of my children (I do this for their protection and privacy.) Blaire has given me permission to share her story and her photos.
Thank you allowing me sharing it with you.
Before
In between
Opening the door with butterflies
Crystal prepares for the cut.






18 Comments:
Such precious pictures Wendy, and such a precious gift! I know your mother's heart is proud!
My brother has taken a modified Nazarite vow and is growing his hair to give to Locks of Love. Of course his has a fair amount of grey in it, so no child is getting that wig....:)
Today's story about the shipwreck was again packed full of life-lessons. I focused on the sea anchor that was thrown into the water to slow and stabilize the boat (Acts 27:17). This anchor is a great metaphor for God in our lives. Ann Spangler, in her book "Praying the Names of God" focuses on this very metaphor in her chapter on the Name "Hope of Israel" (Miqweh Yisrael). She says in part:
"Hope is the great stabilizer. It steadies us in times of fear and difficulty, not because we know that everything will turn out as we want, but because we know that God is trustworthy. Hope is what helps us stay on course regardless of circumstances."
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. (Hebrews 6:19)
When the winds and waters of life batter us unceasingly, and when we feel we have lost our way, may Miqweh Yisrael fill us. May this hope steady our course in all our circumstances, and may we, like Paul, believe God and know "no hair on (our) head shall perish!" (Acts 27:34.
Then did you notice the breaking of the bread in the same way Jesus broke bread and gave it to the disciples? Such a good illustration of the place for communion in our lives. We should partake when we need to be filled (with hope, peace, love, forgiveness....).
Have a wonderful weekend!
Karen, Basel
Oh, Blaire has me sobbing up here in Pennsylvania! What a truly precious gift. And her new hair cut is gorgeous...she is beautiful! (I'm a short hair cut kind of gal, so I love it!)
Thank you, Wendy and Blaire, for sharing this. What a wonderful reminder of sacrificial giving here in December.
Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs,
Sharon
Beautiful pictures~a beautiful act of love too. What a gift to give away at this time of the year.
Karen, Loved what you shared about hope. I just finished my Kay Arther, Knowing God, study this week and Miqweh Yisrael was not one of the 'names,' discussed. I love the author you mentioned (what she said,) "Hope is the great stabilizer." We all have many opportunities to offer hope as so many people today are not stable. Of course, how could they be, without a Savior to walk along with!
Today, we read about Paul's voyage; it was filled with violent storms. Similarly, we know many people experiencing a storm in their life today. I have friends going through "physical," storms; some are in "financial," storms, and some are experiencing, "emotional," storms. I loved what Paul wrote to us earlier this week, "I take pleasure in my weaknesses and in the insults, hardships, persecution, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong," 2 Cor. 12:10.
Notice, too during Paul's shipwreck, he remained sure footed, steadfast in his faith, focusing on his purpose: to further the Kingdom of God. He did not let himself worry or become afraid. The shipwreck caused severe physical and financial hardships, but [in tomorrow's reading] we find out that the Lord let Paul witness to the people on the island. "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him," (Lam. 3:24).
Love the stories in the Bible, oh how we can learn from them today!
Praying that each one of us today grows closer in our relationship with our Father. That as we read His Word, He would open our minds to understand what He wants us to know, and that our love affair with Him would grow even stronger! I'm praying too that God would draw the new ones in that He is ready to reveal himself too. Oh, I'm excited about the journey together with you all in 2010!
Thanks you, thank you (!) for blessing me this week! enJOY the weekend! Hugs, Lori - AZ
What a wonderful way to start out the weekend by reading this :) Blaire, your hair looks so cute! I am a short haired gal too, long hair does not flatter me at all. What a very special present, Merry Christmas.
Karen, the book you mentioned is what I have on my schedule to study after the first of the year. I have always wanted to study the names of God and I can't wait to digg into this study. I also have Spangler's book "Praying the Names of Jesus" for the second half of the year. That and our NLT reading is going to be my focus this next year.
Lori, your news from yesterday is so great and I am praying too about giving a Bible as a present. I was not going to give this friend anything, but after reading your post I am praying about if God wants me to give her a Bible and invitation. Her and her husband are very strong Christians but between churches right now. They are not sure where God wants them. I would love for her to join us on this journey.
Wendy, in answer to your question about what is some of the things that has meant the most on this journey, I know for me one of the main things is the bonds that have formed with you sisters that I would have never otherwise met. We all have the bond of Christ and a love for His Word. I have loved how God opens up different things to each heart each day and we get such a rich understanding by combining what He speaks to everyone. To me there is no better way to spend my time than in His Word and in Prayer :)
You ladies have a fabulous day! I am staying home and cleaning this yucky house since I have another full week next week. Please be in prayer for me this next few days as I make final preps on my talk for next Wednesday. I am excited about it but still have a tendency to get nervous. Melissa T told me that nerves are good, they help me stay depending on God and not try to do it in myself. From past experience, I get really nervous until I get up there and get into what I am talking about them I am good. Monday I get to go experience my first mammogram too. That should be fun, lol.
Blessings Sisters,
Brandee, TN
Blaire!!! You went from being an adorable girl to a beautiful, stylish young woman! Your haircut looks amazing!!! What a precious gift and sacrifice you made - and you look so happy doing it. God loves a cheerful giver. Bless you.
Gals, I'm so glad I'm visiting here a little later today. How all your comments have blessed me so far. I do try and return every day and read what you share, but don't always find time to comment again. The theme of "hope" and being anchored continues in my thoughts today as well.
“When a light wind began blowing from the south, the sailors thought they could make it. So they pulled up anchor…” “Acts 27:13
A slight change in the weather. A few calm breezes offered encouragement. Despite Paul’s warning, the owner of the ship desired to take advantage of the momentary, peaceful calm and they “pulled up anchor”.
When storms in our lives cease for periods of time, do we “pull up anchor”? Jesus is the One who holds our life, but when things are going well are we just as sensitive to His presence and as attentive to His leading? Do we start trusting ourselves because of the false sense of security provided by the “light wind” and gentle breeze? We must never pull up anchor and give way to the sea. When hardships appear, making us feel powerless, we can only survive by giving way to the Master of the storm.
Let’s not be fooled. We need that anchor of hope. We need the anchor of reality. We need the anchor of faith. Our passage on this sea of life is not without hurricane force winds. Storms are inevitable, but our response is always optional. Our faith can remain in our Anchor. Our hope in Christ, is a strong and mighty anchor for our souls. It leads us…into God’s inner sanctuary. (Hebrews 6:19)
“Any sailor will tell you that only as the storm rages do we realize the strength of the anchor.” (Charles Swindoll) Paul’s anchor was in God. He trusted Him in the storm and listened and believed His voice. “For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, and he said, ‘Don’t be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What’s more, God in his goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you.’ So take courage! For I believe God. It will be just as he said.” Acts 27:23-25
Did you see where God was positioned? God stands beside us today in our storms as well. Not only is He close to us, but He knows the way through uncharted waters. Paul was going to Rome. He will never lead us anywhere that He has not already planned and prepared for our sailing ashore.
Is our anchor secure? Don’t “pull up anchor”, place it firmly in Christ. Let's anchor a way by holding fast to God. Some storms seem endless, but He will see us through. Don’t take my word, take His.
Off to put up and decorate a tree at my parents today and then our family is attending a Christmas banquet tonight at the church of my son's "friend girl". :) Looking forward to a happy evening.
Hugs,
Joy
Blaire - you're a beauty inside and out! Way to be a servant of God.
Wonderful stuff to read here today! Thanks for all of your insights.
I honed in on Paul telling his shipmates to "take courage!"
"Take" makes me think of grabbing onto something like a lifesaver...it requires an action by me. The courage is out there...just take it! Grab on!
When we are children we are taught not to grab or take something that is someone else's, or in a store we cannot take something without paying first; but here, God is telling us it's okay to take it! It's His that He's giving to us.... be bold ladies! Take His courage where ever we go!
Happy Saturday...I'm starting my Christmas shopping today!
Morgen
What a sweet and preciou gift you have in your daughter. You must have raised her well for her to be willing to sacrifice something her heart desired. Glad bless you both! And keep up the good work!
Such good reading today ladies... keep it coming...oh how I have grown this year from Wendy and all of you that post everyday.
Today's reading made me think of the song "My Anchor Holds". Here is the first verse and chorus.
Tho the angry surges roll
On my tempest-driven soul,
I am peaceful, for I know,
Wildly tho the winds may blow,
I've an Anchor safe and sure
That can evermore endure.
And it holds, my Anchor holds!
Blow your wildest, then O gale,
On my back so small and frail;
By His Grace I shall not fail,
For my Anchor holds,
My Anchor holds!
It is amazing, reading what all of you write, from Canada, Switzerland, Bahamas, all over the US...all form different lifestyles, but look how the Word of God brings us together...one body...of Christ. That's how it will be in heaven...oh how I can't wait!
Keep writing, sisters, you are keeping me grounded in what my soul needs most...God's Word.
I, too have Ann Spangler's books Praying the Names of God, and the Names of Jesus. If some of you don't have them, put them on your Christmas wish list...you won't be sorry.
Wendy, give your daughter a great big hug from me...she is one precious young lady.
Jan TN
Wendy and Blaire thank you for sharing such a big life moment with us. Blaire when I look at the photo of your ponytail before you cut it, it reminds me of a "young girl" with the a willing heart.
Then to see the picture with the shorter cut, I see a "young woman" who gave a beautiful gift for another out of love. What a lesson to learn at your age! It can be pretty scary when you change your looks so drastically as a young person. Your gift will make such a difference to someone. Hugs.
Thank you to all of you who have been praying for me. Yesterday was the big meeting. Although the results are not very clear, I believe the path is. God was there and I felt Him.
I too am very thankful for the ladies of this study. It is wonderful to join each day and read the different nuggets that each of posts. I can't wait to do it again next week.
Lori thanks for sharing about your wonderful experience the other day.
Hugs to all,
Diane
Hi, Wendy
I just want to chime in and agree with the prior posters. Your Blaire is awesome. She did turn into a young lady in a matter of minutes. Amazing!
I have been lurking since your devotional appeared on P31. I already have the bible and journal ready for next year.
May I add something to today's reading? It's courtesy of my pastor: "Your storm may be someone else's salvation. So stay in the boat. When life gets stormy the safest place to stay is in the boat."
Have a blessed week, ladies.
Diane, thank you for your update. I will continue to pray that the results become clear and fulfill God's purpose in this situation!
Grace and Peace, thank you for the nugget from your Pastor! It is something to remember in times of strife.
Today I remained in Ephesians 1 and 2. The love Paul has for this group of Christians is very evident in every word! My nugget for today links to the Advent readings for today about preparing the way for the Lord. After his wonderful words of unity in Ephesians chapter 2 (and hope for the Gentiles), he goes on in verses 19-20:
19 So now you Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family. 20 Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself.
We are built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. What did they do? They went out and spread the word of Christ's coming (both first and second). We are to do that too. We are to be voices in the wilderness crying out "prepare the way of the Lord". We pray in the Lord's prayer "Your kingdom come, Your will be done." How often do these words strike home? He is coming again, and we don't know when, but we do know our commission is to go out and spread the good news to all people in the same way as the prophets and apostles did before us.
I love this internet ability to connect with such a great group of people who share their faith so readily! I am inspired by stories like Lori's or Brandee's or Joy's where they reach out and share The Story and provide opportunities for others to come to know Christ better. Witnessing is not my gift. I am praying about that. I am asking God to show me how I participate in this commission and to strengthen me; to make the path evident to me.
"For [I am] God’s masterpiece. He has created [me] anew in Christ Jesus, so [I] can do the good things he planned for[me] long ago." (Ephesians 2:10 personalized)
Karen, Basel
Good Sunday Morning Sisters,
Today's reading in Ephesians is just wonderful! These familiar passages are life to me this morning. Yesterday I don't know what happened towards the end of the day but I was in a funky mood. You girls ever get like that? I prayed and told God I really did not know what was wrong, I could not really pinpoint the cause but I just wanted to go to bed and pull the covers over my head. Then I read Ephesians 1:18 where Paul prays their hearts will be flooded with light so they can understand the confident hope God had given to those He called. That was my key, my hope had took a nose dive yesterday. This time of year our church changes up so much of their regular schedule to do other things. Like today we are having a brunch service where it is not really much of a service, just a small one and they are serving food. There won't be any Sunday school classes again. I asked John last night if he wanted to go and he said no- hope took a nose dive, hence my mood. I did not put it together at first until I was laying in bed and read that and going to sleep. I see so many positive things going on but Satan knows I can get discouraged easily. I marked Eph 2:12-13 to pray for John. Lord, he lives in this world without you and without hope. May he be united with Christ and brought near to You through His blood. I love what you said yesterday, Grace and Peace, about our storm may be someone else's salvation. I know that is true. I can't give up hope ladies and I know it is the enemy knocking on my heart and trying to get me to give up, quit hoping and believing for what I know God is going to do in John's life and in his heart, in our family. I know it is not a coincidence these things happen as I am preparing to proclaim what Christ did for me in that talk on Wed. I can't let him discourage me! Our assistant Pastor once said, "Never doubt in the dark what God has told you in the light." God has shown me that He will be a sure foundation for this family, that He is a rich store of salvation, knowledge and wisdom and what I have to do is build my life on Him and fear Him (Isaiah 33:6). Just because he does not want to go with me does not mean God is not working all out, full force in his heart. I KNOW He is! I see it :) I have to let patience complete it's perfect work in me while I wait and faithfully pray (Beth Moore).
Thanks for listening dear sisters this morning. I can get discouraged easily and I have to put on my armor and be prepared to fight the enemy in all his ways.
Have a blessed day!
Brandee, TN
Absolutely Precious! Inspirational! Thank you for sharing.
This is my my first post,but I have been on this journey with you all since day 1. Our God is awesome! He is the Great I AM....though our year through His word is coming to an end....It really is a push to a new beginning ....that of a deeper relationship with our savior. I am ready to climb aboard again this January. It seems He whispers during my quiet time in His Living word!
Wishing you all a weekend of Blessings!
Good Morning, What a blessed Sabbath already~the new additional posts this morning have brightened my day!
I love the nugget you shared regarding what your pastor said, Grace & Peace, and Melanie-so glad you are going to continue the journey; yeah...it's not going to be over, it's just beginning! Love that!
Brandee, I so know how hard it is. We just want our husbands saved NOW. The enemy knows that too! Doesn't he just know how to push our button? Focus on the joy in your heart. When I'm feeling low, I think to myself, oh dear Lord, I know you are going to save Dave. But, the anticipation of how you will do it! I know He's going to blow me away with His Way! It's always better than I'd ever dream up! We will remain faithful in our little group to pray over the unsaved husbands. Oh, that their veil would be taken away. That their hearts would be softened, their ears would hear, and that their eyes would not be closed. They can not see and their hearts cannot understand now. Lord, I want them to know that this salvation from God has also been offered to them, and that they will be ready to accept it, Acts 28:26-28. Glory will come.
I'm praying for you sweet Diane. Personally, I like closure, and not "the results are unclear." I'm praying that you remain in His presence, clinging to Him, listening for His whispers as they lead you each step of the way. Everything is uncertain in this world, but we have one thing that is so CERTAIN, our Father. He is our faithful and loving Father, the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow when we wake up.
Oh Karen, I'm not the type to witness at all! I've always shied away from this, rationalizing to myself that it was not my "gift." I was fine doing what was in my comfort zone-serving people and encouraging people. This is my gift which is naturally the way I am. But, as we have been reading all year long, I keep seeing certain things reappear. One is to love. The other is to further His Kingdom. Innocently, I began praying daily, Lord, how can I further your kingdom today. That was part of my morning prayer. I know it was the Spirit bringing it to my attention to pray that way. He showed me once again, that when He asks me to do something, He will show me the way. I'm learning His Glory shines more when we step out of our comfort zone and do something that in ourself we'd never do. Because it then is Him doing it out of us, not us doing it!
Today's reading was WONDERFUL!!!!!!
WONDERFUL!!! I have so much underlined, so much popped off the pages at me. One blessed thing I have learned this year with you all, is that our prayer life becomes more effective as we read His Word daily. I now look forward to a a daily dialog of prayer, as I talk to God, and reading His Word, as God is talking to me.
I loved, Eph. 1:19 Oh my goodness, we, dear friends, have His incredible great power in us! Christ in us, the hope of Glory!
Today on this beautiful Sabbath, I'm praising Him and giving Him all the Glory! Love you ALL!!!
Lori - AZ
PS THANK YOU WENDY FOR LEADING US THROUGH THE BIBLE day by day, and daily turning us to His Truth! We can count on you not to get side-tracked! You are keeping us on that straight and narrow road! Love you!
Thank you Grace and Peace your pastor's words are very wise. I appreciate you sharing them.
How true-how true!
Hey Ladies....I am looking for a bible study to utilize in a setting for men and women. I would love to hear your suggestions. What is out there that you've really enjoyed or would like to participate in.
Looking forward to your suggestions,
Nancy
Thanks for sharing pictures of Blaire how sweet and wonderful. I agree she looks like a beautiful young lady.
Lynn
Your daughters hair cut is darling. May the child that receives your daughters gift be blessed many times over!! What a selfless act of kindness.
Post a Comment
Home