"But there is another power within me at war with my mind."
Romans 7:23
Romans 7:23
Friends, there is a war going on within us. The war is in our mind. The constant battle of right vs wrong, good choices vs bad choices, good judgment vs poor judgment have waged war in our minds. The war wears us out and wears us down to the point where we "feel" like we are powerless to do the right thing, make the good choice, and formulate the correct judgment.
Paul used a lot of words and sometimes talked in circles (Whew!) to make his point but he made it: the power of sin (the '"other" power at war in our mind) has no power over us. Because of God's sacrificial gift of His son, sin is longer our master. (v14) I don't about you but I needed to be reminded of that today.
If sin is no longer our master then why do we continue to sin? Paul tells us in our key verse, the conflict is in our mind. How do we have victory in the war of our mind? Let's reflect back on Paul's plan for winning this war. It is outlined in 6:12-13:
- Do not let sin control the way you live.
- Do not give in to sinful desires.
- Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin.
- Give yourselves completely to God.
- Use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God.
We can do this because we no longer live under the requirements of the law but under the freedom of God's grace. The how-to is simple: transform our minds with the right stuff-God's Word. You know what? We have been transforming our minds with the right stuff for 328 days now and we can't ever stop.
We can't ever become too confident because the battle is constant. It is there when we turn on the television. The battle rages when our children, husband, or friend makes us mad and we want to "tell" someone. It continues when we hear gossip and make the decision to stay and listen. The warring continues when accidentally land on an inappropriate website. Our sinful nature is always hostile (8:7) and in opposition to what is right but we have no obligation to do what our sinful nature urges us to do. (8:12)
Let's trade the hostility for the mind over for a little life and peace by submitting control to the Holy Spirit. (8:5) I am all for letting someone else be in charge, frankly, I am tired!
We can't ever become too confident because the battle is constant. It is there when we turn on the television. The battle rages when our children, husband, or friend makes us mad and we want to "tell" someone. It continues when we hear gossip and make the decision to stay and listen. The warring continues when accidentally land on an inappropriate website. Our sinful nature is always hostile (8:7) and in opposition to what is right but we have no obligation to do what our sinful nature urges us to do. (8:12)
Let's trade the hostility for the mind over for a little life and peace by submitting control to the Holy Spirit. (8:5) I am all for letting someone else be in charge, frankly, I am tired!






6 Comments:
"This is just too good!"-Your quote from yesterday is going to be my new favorite saying, dear Wendy! These chapters explain to us so well about the war going on within us. "And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is,in my sinful nature;" the enemy if fully aware of this! He pokes and prods and tries to control our minds day after day. Unfortunately, he never wares out! But, we are followers of Christ, so sin is no longer to be our master! Through the power of the Holy Spirit, we can overcome sin! We must trust in the Word of God and realize that the Holy Spirit in us is greater than the power of Satan in the world. (I John 4:4)
Abba, Father, Thank you for your Spirit that you have placed inside of me. Thank you for adopting me as one of your very own children.
Help me to know that I have your exceeding great power in me; there is no reason that I should sin. I am "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that [I] ask or think, according to the power that worketh in [me] (Eph 3:20). I desire to be "controlled by the Holy Spirit...I want to think about things that please the Spirit." Lord, I want to please you and not Satan. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Abiding in Him, Lori - AZ
PS Just have to "joyfully share God's glory," Romans 5:2, Since I don't have space to write out all the details I just want you to know that God answered a prayer yesterday for me. I want to encourage you all to pray; to not give up. I was praying about something and the Spirit lead me how to pray throughout the day. When I asked God for a miracle and to move a mountain, He did! He's so good to His heirs. His Glory is blinding! The more I pray, the closer I get to Him and the more I realize He is with me wherever I go! And, the more I know that, the more I seek to please HIM. I want to feel His presence. I want Him guiding me for He knows best. He's the only one that knows my tomorrow's.
Hugs to you all! Loved the pop corn popping yesterday---that was so fun! We'll have to do that again Wendy!
Thanks for the reminder. I too needed it. :o)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Amen
Thanks to Wendy for this great Journey with our Great God.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Lynn
Romans 8:6, "So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace." Wendy, I thank you so much for leading us in this journey. I know that I have to fill my mind EVERYDAY with God's Word if I want to walk in victory. The more we renew our mind the more we will walk in His truth. Ask the Spirit everyday to fill us completely so that we will have our minds controlled by the Spirit and have that life and peace that Paul talks about. I had a situation yesterday where I was tempted to let my mind be controlled by my sin nature and not the Spirit, I prayed and walked away from the natural tendency and you know, I had more peace. I had peace the whole day. I have noticed when I do not walk in the Spirit it adds a lot of stress to my life. I want peace because peace leads to joy. I was overflowing yesterday. Will and I were on the way home from karate and I was singing along with the new Casting Crowns CD at the top of my lungs. I can't carry a tune to save my life, but I did not care and Will is still so young he does not care either :) Sometimes you just have to sing! Yesterday was one of those days.
Have a blessed day sisters. I have a TON of things to do today to get ready for company tomorrow.
Love your sister in Christ,
Brandee, TN
PS Thanks for praying for me, I have decided to go speak to the MOPS group :) God has placed this opportunity in my lap and I have been praying for Him to open doors. I know this is a door He has opened.
"Do not let sin control the way you live: do not give in to sinful desires. Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin." Rom. 6:12-13.
Any part of my body... eyes, ears, mouth, hands, feet, mind, heart... wow, Lord protect me from myself and all the parts that can lead me in the wrong direction so easily: "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead I do what I hate." Rom. 7:15
Lord, you alone can cover me and my sin, I am in sin default all the time. I cannot do this "life thing" without You.
Blessings to all this Thanksgiving holiday,
Krista
:) Frankly, I'm tired too. It's been a long day for so many reasons.
I highlighted another verse, but the message is the same. "So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace." Romans 8:6
A war has waged in my mind today. A war between panic and peace. A war between sin and Spirit. Worry has caused my heart to walk a path of death today instead of life.
"Open war is upon you whether you would risk it or not." (Aragorn, Lord of the Rings)
Open war is upon me. The thief has come to steal my trust, kill and sacrifice my life and destroy my spiritual progress. Demonic opposition is delivering oppression. Hell has been enraged and satanic forces are hurling their mightiest weapons.
It's not peaceful in the invisible. A war of worlds is being fought. The evil one has a plan and an army behind the scenes and he's looking for an intentional attack moment to terrorize, torture and immobilize. He knows my weakness and the battle for my life is raging with intensity. Ground zero has been my mind.
Health concerns and medical appointments tomorrow morning have caused concern. My mind is racing to possible what if's. It hasn't helped to read today of being called to share in Christ's suffering (Romans 8:17), and encouraged to rejoice in trials (Romans 5:3).
Lord, I pray you will bind satan from further assault. Father give victory. The powers of darkness and spiritual forces of evil are wielding weapons at my mind, but they cannot stand against You. Bring every thought captive.
Trusting,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home