The Life I Want To Live
"Finally, dear brothers and sisters, we urge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to live in a way that pleases God."
1 Thessalonians 4:1a

I love ABCs and 123s. Such simplicity makes me smile. I long for rules, boundaries, and lists of dos and don'ts. Paul's no nonsense, straight forward way of speaking is exactly what I want to hear. Throughout the weekend and today's reading there was an urge to shout, "Amen-tell it." Or as our young people say "True dat."

Today we got to read another person's mail-that of the church of Thessalonica. After exhorting and encouraging them in staying true to the Truth, Paul gives them a few ABCs and 123s of pleasing God. It is sound and simple counsel for anyone who wants to live a life that pleases God. A person who wants to live a life that pleases God should:
  • Live holy not impure lives
  • Love each other
  • Live a quiet life
  • Mind your own business
  • Work hard with your hands
Paul not only tells us how to please God but earlier in our reading he gives us insight into the God we please with this kind of life. Acts 17:24-27 tells us He is
  • The One who made the world and everything in it
  • The One who does not live in man-made temples
  • The One who has no human needs
  • The One who gives life and breath to everything
  • The One who satisfies every need
  • The One who decides who rises and falls
  • The One who determines boundaries
  • A God whose purpose was for all nations to seek Him
He is God alone and worth living a life that pleases.





7 Comments:

Blogger Brandee said...

Good Morning Sisters~


I am up really early this morning to make sure I have some prayer time before getting Will and I ready for the day. We are going on a field trip to a recording studio today with his class to record the "12 Days of Christmas" for his school auction this coming weekend. I don't do well if I don't have some morning prayer time so I set my alarm today to get up extra early :)

I noticed over the weekend you all were talking about what your plans were. I have to share with you all that I went on Saturday to the Arise! Cry Out! prayer event by Moms in Touch and it was amazing! I told Lori I don't know why any of us wore any make-up because by the time it was over it had all been cried off. There is nothing like gathering for four hours to pray and worship with your sisters. The morning was just beyond words and my spirit and soul were renewed, refreshed and revived. My hope, faith and joy were restored to overflowing as I know that God is going to begin a worldwide wave of answering prayer and saving the kids of this world. I praise Him in advance for what He is going to do!

There were two passages that stood out to me as I read today's reading. Wendy one of them was the one in Acts 17 where you posted the list of things about God. Is that not comforting to know that He has not needs? He IS, just IS, period. He is not far from any of us, we live and move and exist in Him. I pray Acts 17:26-28 often for my husband. That God knew the exact places and times where he should live and He did this so that he would reach out for Him. That in God John lives, moves and has his being (NIV). I always think that this was one of the reasons that God brought us together. He put me with him to carry the priviledge of praying for him and inviting God's will onto earth in his life. I consider it my highest calling to pray. With my personality I have a hard time if I can not physically "see" the fruits of my labor. If my to-do list has not been checked off for that day. OCD, that is me :) But at this conference on Saturday Fern said something that has stuck in the forefront of my mind. She said that prayer is the biggest investment of our time we can make. It is kingdom work. So those days I may be at my kitchen table going through P31 requests and praying through my journal notes and for my son, husband, friends, etc...that is work for the kingdom even though I may not see the results immediately.

The other verse that stuck out to me today was 1 Thess. 2:2b-3a, "We sent him to strengthen you, to encourage you in your faith, and to keep you from being shaken by the troubles you were going through." We need each other so very much. We all need out brothers and sisters to strengthen us, encourage us and especially during those times we are going through very hard things. I know my sisters in Christ as one of God's BIGGEST blessings to me in my life. Without them I am not sure if I would have made it through some of the healing processes God had to take me through to set me free. And now He keeps adding more sisters through places like this blog and Moms in Touch. Oh, it is a great thing!

Ok, I know this got lengthy :) I just have not had time to post much lately and have missed you guys. Hope you have a blessed day.

Love,
Brandee, TN

PS Nancy I have that book by Stormie Omartian but have not gone through it yet. Are you going to use it along with our NLT next year? If so I will join you and go through it as well. I love her work! I think I have most of her books :)

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning~ Oh Wendy, I love your ABSs & 123s of pleasing God. I, too and am so enjoying Paul's speaking. No beating around the bush with him!

I noticed how many times the return of Christ is mentioned! Paul is urging Christians to remain faithful--- morally and spiritually, during times of suffering and persecution while patiently waiting for Christ's return. It is this joyous anticipation of every Christian as we wait for the glorious return of our Redeemer.

Another word that I saw several times in today's reading was- encourage. They were encouraging each other back in the early days of the church, just as we do today! "We...encouraged you," (I Thes. 2:12) "to encourage you in your faith," (3:2) "encourage each other with these words, (4:18) "so encourage each other and build each other up," (5:11).

"Therefore, we never stop thanking God," (2:13), "night and day we pray earnestly," (3:10).

Love & prayer's~Lori - AZ

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Good Morning Girls!

This morning, I have woke up with a terrible head-ache. Yet, it is still a priority to start my day and my week with God, His Word, and time with Him and you my sisters.

Wendy, I love your title for today's reading, "The Life I Want to Live." I noticed a key word "purpose" this morning. Acts 17:27 His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find Him" I Thess 2:4 Our purpose is to please God, not people. I Thess 4:3 "God's will is for you to be holy..".

Spending the weekend away from home and with hundreds of women simply praising God and seeking more of Him was not only awesome but it gives fresh perspective. I know that my prayer life is not as full as it could be. My focus was really on prayer and then again this morning it's there again ... thanks for a beautiful reminder Brandee.

love, nancy

By the way, Brandee, yes I plan to use it with our study next year. Yet, my enthusiam was so high I have started already with what we are currently reading. It's easy to pick up and gather deeper insight and growth through prayer.

Anonymous Lori said...

Brandee~I feel as tho you attended that conference just to get those encouraging words for me! It is exactly what I needed to hear! I can't get out of my mind what Jesus said in Luke 18, "Men ought always to pray, and not to faint (give up) and then in I Thes 5, Paul saying to "pray without ceasing." Clearly, it is becoming more understanding why we are encouraged to pray: our praying dear sister's & brother's :) is KINGDOM WORK! This is just like a major light bulb moment for me! It renews my desire to NOT let the enemy come in when I'm growing weary. He tries so hard to get me distracted. The enemy, of course does NOT want me to pray! My goodness, it's KINGDOM WORK! I so love that! Ahhh, Brandee you've been such an encouragement to me!
Love you! Lori

Blogger Brandee said...

I love you too Lori!

Nancy, I will hunt for mine in my book box. I am working through that Beth study on Fruits of the Spirit right now as well as doing our reading so I think I will plan on starting on Jan 1 :)

Blogger Joyful said...

How come on a day when I awoke half an hour earlier than usual, I'm arriving here so late? I think it was partly due to the verse the Lord impressed on my heart today and I was struggling with how to respond.

I had a tough weekend. I hate when the "me" in me rises up and responds in ways I shouldn't. I knew my reaction wasn't pleasing to the Lord, but...

The verse the Lord spoke to me this morning was “Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.” 1 Thessalonians 2:4

It began with excitement. A pure gesture of love. A kind act of friendship to express shared happiness from the heart.

Then a phone call. Words exchanged. Suddenly it felt like the gift being given was part of a competition for acceptance and affection. What was originally intended as a beautiful offering became a contest. I was a player without my knowing and without my consent.

Suddenly my motive changed. Something within me responded. Responded negatively. Insecurity surfaced. I had choices before me. I could follow a couple of paths. My decision would send a message, but now my motives were so wrong. Being fuelled by confusion, anger, fear and frustration, I had this longing now to “win”. Win a game I didn’t even want to play. Feelings of conniving, manipulation and retaliation surfaced. What had been precious and special was reduced to rivalry. I needed bigger and better.

Fighting envy I tried to back off and walk away, not wanting to be involved in this game, only to find myself a pawn met with a counter-attack and a voice crying, “Queen me”.

Lord, any move I make right now is being interpreted incorrectly. Every word, every action is being judged and analyzed. How did something so lovely turn so ugly? Lord, in my hurt, put a guard on my tongue. Keep me from saying things, that although truthful, arise from a root of revenge. Diffuse the bomb waiting to explode and help me not to waste any more time or energy on this matter. Protect me from overreacting and looking to gather team-mates for my side. May I not fixate on faults, but give grace. Help me not to respond by my mood, but with my mind. Bring every thought captive and bind the evil one from profoundly and destructively influencing my thoughts. May I not be trapped in mental torment and forfeit joy for futile speculations.

“You can tell how big a (woman) really is by the size of the problem it takes to infuriate (her).”

Today I’m feeing pretty small,
Joy

Blogger B His Girl said...

love this song. I want to live my life honoring Him. Hope all is well with you and your family Wendy. Barbara

Post a Comment

Home