No Favorites
"In every nation He accepts those who fear Him and do what is right."
Acts 10:35


When I was young, my brother believed that since I was the baby and the only girl, I was momma and daddy's favorite. It appeared to him that I received preferential treatment. Isn't that they way it is all families? Someone always appears to be the favorite.

Today's key scripture tells us in the family of God there are no favorites. But sometimes in our perception of things we don't believe that God treats all His children the same. We look at the possessions, accomplishments, and appearances of other people then determine God's love for us based on those perceptions.

God welcomes (NASB) all who fear Him and does what is right (acceptable) into His family. God extends eternal life to all. He extends His grace and mercy to all who will accept it. He died so we all could have eternal life. We all are the apple of His eye. Let's all live like it and put the liar of doubt in His place.

P.S. Thank God for sending His only Jesus to give us eternal life. Thank God for all the men and women who have died and for those who continue to defend the freedom to live in this great country. Proud to be Christian and an American





7 Comments:

Anonymous Lori said...

Happy Veteran's Day Everyone!

Oh, today we read a momentous chapter of scripture: introducing salvation to the Gentiles! When Peter is up on the roof praying and hears the Lord's voice, at first he says, "No, Lord," but, I just love how patient God is with him. Three times He presents him with the same vision. He loves us so much!

I love the NL translation, "We can see that God has also given the Gentiles the privilege of repenting of their sins and receiving eternal life," (Acts 11:18). What a special right we have been given! God through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all," (Acts 10:36). No favoritism!!! All! Everyone!
What does He ask of us?
*to fear Him
*and to do what is right

Acts clearly shows us the reason why we are here today, and the more I've been pondering over this, the more I realize how much I've failed in this assignment.
"but to us whom God had chosen in advance to be his witnesses" (41).
Oh, I model the life well enough, but to actually use my words to share the gospel-to me this is scary. But, thankfully, the Spirit in me is becoming more bold. I'm finding that it is becoming more natural for me to talk about the Lord-to people around me, that I would never have done before. Now, I find myself anticipating sharing His goodness. I look for the moments. The more we do it the easier it becomes. In the end, it's God we are hoping to please. If we are abiding in Him, more and more, He's separating us, and sanctifying us in the way that we walk, & the way that we live; Following His commandments set us apart as a peculiar people for His own possession. We are not a part of this "crooked generation."

I'm so enjoying the reading about the early days of the Christ followers!

Love, prayer's, & hugs coming your way~Lori - AZ
PS I just have to share a God moment...several months ago, I'd been praying about 'who God wants me to invite to do the upcoming Chron. Bible Study with'...well, out of the blue he placed a lady on my mind. Someone that I used to see MANY years ago, when my youngest was in Elem. School. In my thoughts I rationalized with Him, saying, HER? I never see HER. Well, God if she is the one you are placing on my heart, will you also place her in my path, then I will know for sure? A couple of days ago, I found out that her son also made the basketball team that my son is on! So, we will be attending a couple of games a week together! I'd say, He gave me the answer! :) I have a NLT Bible to give to her and I'm praying that she will begin a love affair with Him, that I've so enjoyed this year!

Blogger Joyful said...

Lori...thanks for sharing your "Straight Street" example today. Praying for you as you extend this invitation to your friend.

The last verse in our reading really caught my attention today. "But while Peter was in prison, the church prayed very earnestly for him." Acts 12:5

It didn't look good. From all appearances the situation appeared hopeless. The odds were against him. But God.

The church is praying against all odds. Prayer is an act of faith when all we see are prison walls. It's not so much to move God, but reach God and then rest on His results.

Situations seem impossible. Bars barricade, but can't ban prayers from passing through. Don't give up. Keep praying. Don't allow appearance to assume answer. God is able. Continue until you are released, either from the prison or from the prayer.

Today I am remembering in prayer those courageous men and women who have given their life for my freedom, as well as those who currently serve in active duty. I'm humbled by the sacrifice they have made. Thank you seems like such a small word.

If you have time today, visit these two links. Songs of remembrance that will bless. (Be sure to have your Kleenex! The first was written after an actual encounter.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmA62TKLRYQ

Remembering that there is a cost to freedom,
Joy

Blogger Jules said...

Isn't it good to know that God loves each and everyone of us the same? I've actually had ppl tell me that they were better and act as if they are "more Christian" than me. I'm so thankful I don't have to worry about messuring up to their standards, but to God and God alone! (Gal. 1:10)

I too am thankful for the the men & women who have fought & died for our freedoms. More importantly, I am thankful for the death of Christ and the freedom He gives us in Him from sin.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning to All,

Reading the books of Acts makes my heart long for revival of the "Good News" Gospel in our churches today. We need the simple message that Jesus loved,lived, died and rose again for the entire human race again preached in churches. And that our eternal salvation is only through belief in who Jesus was as the Son fof God.

As we honor our veterans today, I pray that you remember the Chaplain's who are mininstering to these soldiers. Pray that God will give them a 100% return on their witness and that God will continue to replenish them as they pour out to these men and women. Please remember the families that are left behind to handle life at home. My husband just left and I know from first hand experience, without the prayers of the righteous we can't make this journey without you commitment of prayer.

Wendy, have belated birthday!!! Was offline a couple of days, but I am rejoicing with all of your for what God is doing in your lives.

Debbie - North Carolina

Anonymous Jan Hobbs said...

The story of Cornelius is special to me. This if the first time the gospel was extended to non-Jews... Gentiles, that's me... and you, if you aren't Jewish. While relatives say that our family was Jewish in Germany in the 1800's, there is no proof... and so I am thankful today that Jesus loved me so much that He extended His salvation not to just the Jews, but then to the Gentiles also. If He hadn't I would not have the security that I have eternal life in Him. In eternity past, He had it all planned out ~when~ He would extend His Gift to the whole world. That includes the Muslim, Budda, Hindu, and any other person. We need to pray for these people, they are Gentiles just like we are and need a Savior. The guy that did all the shooting at Fort Hood last week needs our prayers. Will all of you join me in praying for him?

Jan TN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too, me too, me too!

I am so infused with joy from the text today, Wendy's post, and all of your responses! I love the book of Acts because the sheer power of the Holy Spirit is so alive in the words and deeds of the apostles and the early church. He literally leaps off the page and dances into our souls. Such Joy!

We should be reminded at all times that we are all favorites and we are all favored. This is The Key to pure joy and pure prayer. In knowing we are all equal in God's eyes we can, as did the believers when Peter was imprisoned, "earnestly pray".

Paul will remind us soon our salvation is based on grace, not our good works...it is something hard to remember in our performance reward focused society, but so vital to our faith.

Grateful today for the veterans in our midst, those who still serve, and those who have served, and praying for them to feel the love of the communities & people they have protected and of their God, who chose them to obey his call.

Praying too, along with Jan, for the shooter at Ft Hood. May he experience a conversion like Saul, and may God show those of us who are trying hard to forgive and pray for him the forgiveness of Stephen, and the grace of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

Proud today to be a child of a veteran and Child of God,

Liz
AK

Blogger December Rose said...

Hello everyone - it is so good to be back. All is going well for me, amazingly so! God has done all He promised, and more... I met the sweetest bloggy sister during my radiation treatments too :) Wow, what a gift of encouragement Diane has... she just lavished Christ's love on me. She has an incredible testimony, and God definitely sent her down "Straight Street" to minister to me! Of course I knew she was going to be my BFF when the first comment out of her mouth was, "You're so young!" lol Hopefully we will get to have more sister-times together... wish we all lived so close so I could hug each one of you for your prayers & support to me.

My nugget today is Acts 11:17 when Peter said, "...who was I to stand in God's way?" How often we miss opportunities to be the hands and feet of Jesus because it makes us uncomfortable. Peter "stepped out of the boat" again... it didn't make sense, but neither did walking on water!

Post a Comment

Home