When The Rooster Crows
Welcome and good Monday morning to you, a special welcome if you visiting from Encouragement for Today. Today, we celebrate day 306 on a 365 day amazing journey through God's Word.

It is a somber day in our reading, our Lord has just been turned over to Caiaphas. We are particular close to the story this year because we have fallen deeply in love with the story, God's story. We are going to read this incredible story again next year and would love to have to you join us.

We have prayed for you today. If you are considering joining us next year and wonder, "Can I do this? Is is hard? What is it like?" Follow
Read Thru the Word and click on the Testimonials button in the sidebar. Everyone one can meet this challenge. We have an outstanding teacher-the Holy Spirit. He teaches us everything we need to know and encourages us along the way.


"And he broke down and wept."

Mark 14:72

Several things jumped out at me from today's reading. Having read the Old Testament and seeing the priesthood from the beginning, I am sad at how the leading priests seem so worldly and so easily convinced to do the wrong thing. Secondly, I have read this story over and over again. Each time I have a deep longing that my Lord would not be so publicly abused. But alas, that does not happen. (Oh, my heart is so heavy as I think of His face getting slapped then being blindfolded only to hit, spat upon and mocked.)

Perhaps what hit me most was Peter's reaction to his own denial of the Lord. The word wept is the Greek word klaio. (klah'-yo) It means weeping as the sign of pain and grief for the thing signified (i.e. pain and grief); of those who mourn for the dead. Peter felt the sting of his denial as one feels the sting of death. In fact, this is the same word used to describe how Mary cried for Jesus at the foot of the cross.

The long and short of it for me was: When (not if) I deny Christ do I feel the sting of the denial like one who has experienced pain and grief? Honestly, no. After today, I pray this will be my response the next time denial happens then I can become a Peter in my generation.

This experience changed Peter's life forever. I want my life changed forever
.



22 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Oh yes! Peter's denial and weeping left me convicted in my spirit as well! I join your prayer Wendy!

I was struck by the number of times the Scriptures were fulfilled in this reading. I have read those words countless times, but having read the OT, they now have new meaning to me. I find myself pondering why the "teachers of the law" were so blind! It had to be God's will that they would not see, so that by their acts, the purpose of God would be fulfilled and the Son would be glorified.

I also paused at the accounting of Judas being filled with remorse for what he had done. He was sorry and tried to give back the money, but too late. I have asked myself in the past if Judas repented and if he was granted forgiveness. Today I researched that a bit. One commentary makes a distinction between repentance and remorse. Remorse is being more sorry for the outcome of the sin than for the sin itself (being sorry about the sin rather than sorry for the sin). Another contrasts Peter's response to sin and that of Judas.

"Peter repented, believed and was pardoned. Judas repented, despaired and was lost."

Both these commentaries have something for me in them. When I repent, I must repent for my sin from my heart and not just be sorry about the outcome of my sin. Secondly, I need to believe GOD and His mercy and turn to Him to receive His promise.

Be blessed,

Karen, Basel

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say this morning is, wow....

Blogger Lutiemom said...

...and I'll second that,"Wow!". Wendy, the reading of Peter's denial of Jesus has really hit home. After reading this passage many times before, it feels like I'm really reading it for the first time.

Karen, I really appreciated your research. I have to read it a few times to let it sink in. I've never really thought about the comparison and contrast of Peter and Judas.

Joy, I am still in awe of the quote you left yesterday about the first hand to strike the Savior. There is really so much here. Having read through the Old Testament first, it has taken on such a deeper meaning.

...again, ...Wow!

love,
nancy

Anonymous Lori said...

Today, my heart was heavy as I read about Jesus being abused for all to see. The pain he suffered is beyond my imagination. Yesterday, He cried out to our Father, "please take this suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine."
I was so touched by this. He was hurting so bad; they were abusing Him beyond what is even thinkable. Yet, He prayed for God's will to be done! What He did for us almost makes my heart stop beating! When I am going through something that is difficult, I need to pray for God's will in the particular situation. Not for what I want, but for what He knows is best. When God's will is done, glory is given to Him. People take notice and lives are saved.

Looking forward to another week together in God's Word! Thank you Wendy for serving us! Love and prayers coming your way, Lori - AZ

PS Karen, you've got a picture! :)
Now we can see you!

Blogger Nancy J. Locke said...

Wendy, I have clicked on your blog from ENCOURAGEMENT today. Lovely post. I have read the Bible through too. :D


Peter's denial does sting our hearts and Jesus' unconditional love for him afterward shows us that we should ask for forgiveness and move on after we have made a mistake.

How blessed we are to know that the Lord is waiting for us, guiding us, and showing us our paths in this life.

Blessings! Nancy J Locke

Blogger Jules said...

Clicked over from Proverbs 31 daily devotion today. I enjoyed your post here as well. Gave me something to think about. Though I have read several books, I have never read through the entire Bible. So my quest has begun this morning to look for a study Bible that I'm comfortable with. I prefer KJV or NIV. What can you tell me about this NLT study Bible? Thanks!

Blogger WENDY said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog today. I was just praying about this today and you have inspired me to make a committment. I have purchased the Bible you recommended and look forward to the beginning of the year and the beginning of a new phase of my life as I am moving to a new state. I encourage all the "Wendy's" out there to make the same committment.

-Wendy Horton, Cincinnati, OH

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, I was reading your Encouragement for today devotional and I am so glad I did. Funny, but I have just been trying to decide what to do for my Bible reading for 2010. I have been a Christian all of my life (since a child) and FINALLY this year I am reading the Bible through (for the first time). It has been tough and many times, I have gotten behind. But I AM DETERMINED to make it through this year.

After reading your devotional I have decided to get the Chronological Bible and read through with your Bible Study ladies. I think this will be awesome. I was reading back over some of your daily posts and I have decided to even go back and learn from some of them.

For the past 6 years, my life has seemed to slowly fall apart. Most of it has to do with my adult children and my young grandchildren. Sometimes I question where God is, but I know better. I know He is right here in all of the mess. I just get discouraged sometimes. My heart has broken and I can't seem to put it back together.

I am hoping that through your Bible Study and the encouragement of you and your "commenters" I can grow.

God bless you, Wendy. And,I am VERY excited about getting to know you better through your Blog Bible Study.

Gayle in Frisco, Tx

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Jules
This is an amazing Bible. I have grown to love the KJV and ESV, which teach from a lot on the blog, however, the NLT is really easy to understand. It gives us a simple understanding then we dig deeper.

The daily reading will take you 15 minutes each day. The insight that you gain from all the "commenters" on this blog is immeasurable.

Hope you join us.

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Karen
I love the picture!! It is nice to finally see you beautiful smile.

Blogger Brandee said...

Good Morning Sisters,
I will add to the WOW this morning and it blesses me so much to see the new sisters on here from the P31 devo. We that are reading this year have been praying for all of you and that you will say yes to God and this journey. It has been an amazing year in the Word and Wendy and the other sisters on here are godly women who love Christ and love His Word. You will be blessed beyond what you can even imagine!

As we read through this week and read about Christ's suffering I encourage all of you to go to this link and listen to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3gn9HPIUxk

It is on the new Selah CD and as soon as I heard it I moved it to the top of my play list! As I watched the video though along with the words and visualized the suffering I could not keep from crying. What pain He endured, all for me, all for you! That He loved us that much to go through what He went through. We had a special communion service at church yesterday and our Pastor read from Joshua 3 about consecrating ourselves to God and tomorrow He will do wonders among us. God wants to do miracles and wonders. Are we getting ourselves ready? What do we need to lay down that He has asked us to? Are we daily confessing sin and asking His Spirit to guide us? Without that daily emptying and filling I too, like Peter, would deny my Lord. It may not be by saying I don't know Him, but would my actions, decisions, words and thoughts deny that I know Him? I want God to do wonders among us! I want us to continue to share in the miracles together as our husbands are saved, people are healed and burdens are lifted.

Have a wonderful day dear sisters! It is another beautiful sunny day here in TN. I am LOVING it!

Love,
Brandee, TN

Blogger Kimberly Rae said...

I have been reading thru my Bible, just started recently, in hopes of completing it within a year... can't wait to begin in 2010 with this group too....

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

I would like to join you for 2010. I have been reading thru the bible for a year on my own. But having this fellowship + the chronological version will make it come alive. In the meantime, I shall continue to lurk and learn.
Thank you!

Blogger Joyful said...

I am sitting weeping with Peter today. I'm imagining how Peter felt when he heard that rooster crow and when he remembered Christ's words foretelling that he would deny Him three times.

A picture suddenly flashed in my mind. Have you ever seen the movie "Chariots of Fire"? There is a scene in that movie where Ben Cross's character sits in the stands after a race, by himself, and weeps and weeps because he lost the race. It's a poignant scene. The music is haunting. I so related to that visual. That is so often me, sitting and weeping alone for the times I fail when running in this race for Christ.

The line that hit me the hardest this morning was, "Meanwhile, Peter followed him at a distance..." Mark 14:54.

Following at a distance. Following, but far. I just feel like I'm there today. Haven't even been able to write my blog post yet.

It's not geographical position that necessarily speaks of distance. I have a friend in China today who's baby girl was just placed in her arms. My friend and I are oceans apart, but my thoughts couldn't be closer as I'm rejoicing in all that God has done for her. Maps may mark our location, but not our connectedness.

The same is true with God. I may "look" close...attending church, leading Bible study, reading His Word daily etc... Look at Peter, he did eventually end up in the courtyard. Physically he was fairly close to Christ's presence, yet his denial speaks of his hearts true posture. Lord, I don't want to be content with the "courtyard". I want to be holding Your hand...all the way. Holding Your hand is more than touch...it's obedience.

Those following close walk on water...board airplanes...sit in front rows...respond to the Spirit's prompting...risk...

Mark 6:6 talks about hearts that are far from God.

I feel like I'm standing on the edge. A decision must be made. I'm living on the border of all God desires for me, when He's already given the "Promised Land". Peter had no trouble jumping into the water when emotions ran high, but it's in the daily moment-by moment dry ground we see how close we are truly following. I long to be walking so closely that I'm covered in the dust from His sandals. Dust that covers all of me with His grace as I live a life of faith...my heart bowed in surrender along with my knees.

Praying for the faith and the courage to take that step into His more,
Joy

Blogger April said...

I'm in!!! I want to commit to reading the entire Bible in 2010. Where do I sign up? Thanks for sharing your fear of failing because I am terrified but more than fear I desire to KNOW HIM. Thank you for what you do. This was the first time I have ever read your blog and I know this is something God is calling me to do. Thank you thank you thank you! I am so excited!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! Reading posts like April's reignites my fire and confirms what we've done here by studying God's holy word. I am so glad I've been along for this ride this entire year....even trudging thru some of the more difficult books of the Old Testament was well worth it now that I can parallel what we learned back then to the New Testament now!
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Morgen - MN
ps thank you Jesus, my Lord and Savior for taking that slap (and much, much more) for me.

Blogger Chef Diane said...

I was hit with a different take today as I look at how Peter denied Christ. How many times do I deny Christ not with my mouth but through my walk? Oh, how that must hurt my Savior!

As it was stated yesterday here, this part of the bible is so heart breaking, but we know the end of the story.

As we walk in our trials and rejoice in our triumphs there is a purpose. Jesus doesn't let us stay in those pits of life. He endured the cross, because He knew He wasn't going to stay there. He went to the tomb, because He knew He would rise again.
He knows that today I might be in pain, but I will be in a better place because of it tomorrow.
The key is faith, trust and belief in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I joined this study in the spring. There have been days I missed and days that I doubled up. My faith, walk and life have been richer because I am spending time each day with my Saviour. I listen and share what the Lord is doing in my heart.

Wednesday I will get to meet and be a blessed to meet a woman that I have only prayed for on this blog. I stand in awe of the relationships that He has allowed with my sisters in Christ.

Thank you to all who post,
Hugs,
Diane

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Hey, Wendy! I have been trying to decide what to study after Christmas.I read Encouragement Today, and God simply spoke to my heart. Before I could change my mind, I ordered the Bible. Can't wait for it to come in!

Joy's comments really hit home!There is so much that I overlook in the Bible, and the time has come to slow down and see what God desires for me to see and to do. Thank you, sweet friend!! You are just precious! I put a link to your devo in my post today.

Love ya!
Susan

Blogger Jennifer DeDonato said...

I found you from Encouragement and plan to follow you...every excite.

Anonymous Loyce Neel said...

I clicked over from my P31 Encouragement daily devotional. I know it was not by accident that I found this post Wendy. I want to join the 2010 group and read through with the Chronological Bible. How exciting to think I may (or should I say WILL) read the entire Bible. I want to get God's word deep down in my heart! I want to grow and overcome some much. I want to be a better servant for Him.
How do I go about signing up for 2010?
God bless you all and thanks for the prayers that helped lead me here! Thank you Wendy for your faithfulness to our Savior!
Loyce

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Loyce
Just buy the Bible and subscribe to my blog. Then get ready to be blessed!

Blogger Jules said...

Wendy, about the Bible. I borrowed and NIV Chron. Bible from a friend. I really like it but I think the readings are different than what you post on your blog. For example, in this Bible on Nov. 9th it was talking about Christ's final journey in this world and getting ready for His burial. On your post it talked about the stoning of Stephen. Are you going throught the Bible for this year also, or am I just confused and you are on something totally different?

Post a Comment

Home