At The Feet Of Betrayal
"After washing their feet..."
John 13:12

I almost missed this. Jesus washed "their" feet. He washed the feet of all the disciples, even the one who would
betray Him. Betray means to give over the hands of another. Jesus knew that Judas was going to turn Him over to the hands of another. He had foreknowledge of the betrayal and yet He served the very one who would turn against Him. He also keep this knowledge to Himself. He did not slander Judas to the other disciples.

If I had the foreknowledge of someone betraying me the last thing I would want to do is serve Him and the first thing I would want to do is run tell someone. Jesus goes beyond serving. He humbly lowered Himself at the feet of this His enemy and washed His feet. Truth be told when I have post-knowledge of betrayal I don't want to serve my betrayer.

The example He set for us in the upper room is impossible for us to do in our own human flesh. But with God all things are possible. I loved the insight IVP commentary offered:

Having taken off his outer garment (himation), Jesus was left with his tunic (chiton), a shorter garment like a long undershirt. Slaves would be so dressed to serve a meal (cf. Lk 12:37; 17:8). Jesus tied a linen cloth around his waist with which to dry their feet, obviously not what one would expect a master to do. A Jewish text says this is something a Gentile slave could be required to do, but not a Jewish slave (Mekilta on Ex 21:2, citing Lev 25:39, 46). On the other hand, footwashing is something wives did for their husbands, children for their parents, and disciples for their teachers (b. Berakot 7b; cf. Barrett 1978:440). A level of intimacy is involved in these cases, unlike when Gentile slaves would do the washing. In Jesus' case, there is an obvious reversal of roles with his disciples. The one into whose hands the Father had given all (13:3) now takes his disciples' feet into his hands to wash them (cf. Augustine In John 55.6).

I am not suggesting we offer a footwashing ceremony for all those who have betrayed us. My take-away from today's reading is my attitude to those who have betrayed . I need to be more like Christ. Christ took on the attitude, position, and posture of a servant. A servant does what the Master tells him to do. If we take this position and are asked to reconcile with our enemy or do something for our enemy we don't want to do, we should do it. (Did I just say that?-Dog---that is hard, almost impossible-almost.)

Jesus' obedience pleased His Father and our obedience will please Him, too. I have to ask: "Wendy, how bad do you want to please your Father?"

Labels: ,



11 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Wendy, I wrote about the same passage of scripture today. I also noted the "feet of betrayal". Ministering to our "Judas" is impossible without Christ. It just isn't natural.

I also noted that it says Jesus "took off his robe". Jesus lay aside His garments and put on servanthood. What do I need to remove in order to serve? I think the number one enemy to serving is pride. Christ knew it, and the disciples proved it. Peter did not want Christ to wash his feet. Why? Pride. None of the other disciples offered to do this act of service. Why? Pride.

The only way pride can be defeated is through service. We must migrate our heart and attitude from ‘me’ and ‘my’ to ‘you’ and ‘yours’. When we do this Christ surgically cuts out pride.

After taking off self, we need to put our Jesus on. He was not into titles, but towels.

John 13:1 tells us that Christ loved them “to the very end”. Unfailing love gives us the desire to go beyond the natural to the supernatural. Asking the Lord to give me that love today.

Father, fill me with humility that will remove my robe and wash some feet in Your Name, I pray,
Joy

(Going back now to read what you've written the past two days. Although I have continued my reading and writing both days, I've been busy helping mom prepare for dad's homecoming on Saturday. It's been a "happy" busy, but has required a lot of time.)

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Oh Joy, What a wonderful day Saturday will be. I am so happy for your dad and family. I know your mom must be excited.

This morning's scripture passage and comments have given me a new perspective. I like the Title "At the Feet of Betrayal". I'm going to write that next to those scripture passages. I have to include Joy's note too: "He was not into title, but towels."

Serving has always been a pleasure for me. Yet,honestly I know of one who I work with that really rubs me the wrong way. If given the opportunity to serve, would I do it? Would I even look for the opportunity? I am sure we all have a "someone" that we like to avoid (even with good reason). Will we serve them to the point of washing their feet? If given the opportunity to serve...maybe I need to look for the opportunity to serve...hmmmm, lots to ponder.

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning Dear Friends...

Today, as we read about their time together---fellowshipping around the table, our role-model, teaches us a lesson from his knees! Washing "their," feet. Humbly performing, yet one more act of service! Truly, Jesus' concern was for the disciples, not himself! Rather than showing a bitterness re: the falseness of Judas, he is mournful. We should be more than willing to offer the most menial services for one another. No matter what our talents may be, we can still invest ourselves in the lives those around us. When we follow his loving example, we too will become an example of His love to the world, and our example will change the way many live. What can we do to serve someone today in love? The Word points us in the same direction, doesn't it? It's not about us. Less of me, MORE of Him, bit by bit transformed.

May we seek to see out of His eyes today dear friends...may we abide in Him, it's the only way to live in victory. Oh, how I want to please my LORD with all of my heart!

Thank you, Wendy! Joy, thank you, too! Praying for your family this week. Thank you, Diane, for your beautiful prayer to Susan yesterday! Extra prayer's for you, and you, Susan, along with your family in FLA.

Hugs, Lori- AZ

Blogger Patty said...

Good Morning all.

I know it has been a long time since I have commented - but I have been reading along everyday. Usually, I print out the blog at work and then take it home to read. So I often feel like I am a day behind everyone else.
This year of reading along with all of you has been so uplifting. I really get so much out of everyone's comments.
Joy, I am so happy that your dad is finally coming home, how excited you all must be. What an example of answered prayer.
Wendy I have also been praying for your Mom's continued recovery.
I have always loved the story of Jesus washing the disciple's feet. However, that has also been a sticking point for me. I love to serve. It is just in my nature to want to help. But there have been a number of times, when one of the people I am called to serve is not someone I like,or is someone who has hurt me, I have always struggled with that. I know I am supposed to and sometimes I can force myself to do it - but where is my heart in these times? Still working on that one, but I was moved by your expansion of the verse and the explanation of who would have done this kind of thing.
I pray for the removal of my pride that stops me from serving those how have betrayed me.
Today, I want to ask for prayer for my family.
My husband was laid off yesterday. We have been pretty isolated, here in Saskatchewan, from the economic problems of the last year so this was really unexpected.
My husband has been the only Christian in his workplace, and yesterday they (his employers) got a really good picture of what that means. He thanked his boss for the opportunity to work there and shook his hand. My husband said that they all felt so bad to be letting him go, the office manager was crying. But maybe they will realize that his reaction was because of Christ in him and not from his own power or because he is a "good person" - then if God gets the glory - then it will be OK.
We are not going to panic and get tied up in 'what ifs'. My husband said last night that he sees this as a blessing and that he is trusting that God has a better job waiting for him.

Patty

Blogger Joyful said...

Patty, that has to be one of the most beautiful illustrations of Christlikeness I have ever read. I'm crying here. Thanking the one who has just laid him off. There's love.

This lay-off, although unexpected to you, has not surprised God. Right now you and your husband/family are in the center of His will. Praying the Lord is going to use this circumstance in bigger ways than you could ever imagine. There's something here that God does not want you to miss, and He is placing you exactly where you need to be "for such a time as this."

Praying for you,
Joy

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Patty
Thank you for sharing this burden with us. I pray that your weight seems lighter by doing so.
Your husband sounds like a man of great Christ-like character.
It is great to hear from you!

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Patty, your comments are such an illustration of courage and faith. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am thanking God that He is glorified through the actions of your husband and that this will serve to be a picture of how He will provide for your family.
Thanks!

Blogger Patty said...

Thanks for all your comments.
This is just so encouraging.
I had lunch with my husband just an hour ago and he was very encouraged by the morning he had had.
He called the leader of his men's small group, who owns his own business. This brother in Christ took time out of his busy day and took my husband out for coffee. They talked, and while he doesn't have a job opening right now, he said he would keep my husband in mind if something does come up. He also took my husband over to talk with a couple of other local business owners and had them promise to keep their eyes open for an opening. So my husband feels pretty good about everything today.
Please continue to keep us in prayer. We want to be willing servants in God's hands.
Thank you again for your encouraging words.

Patty

Anonymous Lori said...

Hi Ladies, Just so glad that I popped in after lunch before heading out again...as i was reading your post Patty, I could not help notice what a blessing your family has. Your husband is a true Spiritual leader in your home. What a treasure; he exemplifies outward evidence of the love Christ so wants us to model. Thank you for sharing your burden and you will be in my daily prayers. So good to hear from you. His "fruit," is clearly being shown as he seeks to follow Jesus! Hugs, Lori - AZ

Blogger Unknown said...

Read your devotion on Proverbs 31 daily devotions this morning. I am reading a 365 Bible. And I'm keeping up most of the days. Yeah! I am going to start the chronological one I got a couple of years ago but all that Old Testament at the beginning got to me. I pray I'll be ready this time.

Blogger Sheila said...

Dear Wendy:
Well, THANKYOU for sharing your personal Bible reading success.
It may not seem like you've told of something great, but, you have.
A 53 yr old, 31 month widow, who read the Bible once in my 20's, followed with 25 yrs of walking with Satan & his 2 bad marriages... FINALLY being back with Christ, in itself is the greatest joy I've ever known & reading HIS word another joy. I've been reluctant to start at the beginning, for the same fears as you expressed.
Your encouragement has brought determination within me & I truly believe I can start NOW at the beginning, yet again.
God Bless you for this Ministry !

Post a Comment

Home