Love God
"But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes."
1 Corinthians 8:3

This verse grabbed my heart. Have you ever felt like God did not recognize you? There have been more times than I care to recall that I have felt like God did not know me, that he was not interested in my life. Of course this was not true but in the moment it was how I felt. Doesn't everyone long to be recognized by God? Paul reveals how we can have our longing fulfilled.

It sounds so simple. All we have to do is love God. The Greek word for love in our key verse is agapao. (ag-ap-ah`-o). It means
to welcome, to entertain, to be fond of, to love dearly. I found it interesting the definition included the word entertain.

The definition of the word entertain surprised me. It means to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably; to hold in the mind; harbor; cherish. To be recognized by God we must welcome Him and love Him dearly. He should hold our attention pleasantly and agreeably. We should hold, harbor, and cherish Him in our mind. Don't you just love that? Well, it gets better.

This same translation of love is used in John 3:16 and John 14:15:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (NIV)

If you love me, you will obey what I command.(NIV)

We are to love God the way He loves us. He recognizes and welcomes us, loving us dearly. We hold His attention pleasantly and agreeably. He holds, harbors, and cherishes us in His mind. How can we as humans love like that? Francis Chan, in his book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God, (my current read) has this to say on the subject:

"In our world, where hundreds of things distract us from God, we have to intentionally and consistently remind ourselves of Him."

Look at the blessings that come to those who intentionally and consistently keep their mind on Him.

You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.
Isaiah 25:3(AMP)

With benefits like that, who can say no?

Lord, help me to love you with the love you are worthy of receiving. Please guard me from the distractions of this world. The self-discipline you give me (2 Timothy 1:7) is what I need to help keep my mind stayed on you. I know this is the only way I can give you the love you deserve.




7 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Wow, I don't know where to begin today!

Wendy, your verse was one that struck me too along with the verse before it: 1 Cor. 8: 2 Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. 3 But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

I also read the posts from Kristin, Deb and Joy that were left (my time) last night.

Kristin, don't lose hope! Your instincts are correct! Isaiah 58:11 The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Deb, you are so wise!

Joy, your story humbled me too. Your desire to grow and be stretched is shared. Kindness has also been on my mind lately; I recently asked God to put kindness opportunities in my path too and to open my eyes to see them. Paul says in Romans 7:18, "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." but today he says (1 Cor. 10:33-11:1) "I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved. And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ."

Lord, help me to see and do what is best for others. Don't let me cause others to sin by my actions or my inactions. Let my mind be set on You and be held captive to the Law of Christ; to love God above all others and to love (welcome, entertain, be fond of,love dearly) my neighbor as He has first loved me. In Your precious Name, Amen

Blogger Brandee said...

Good Morning,
I want to tell you all thank you so much for the prayers and encouragement day before yesterday about my husband and then yesterday Karen with pointing out the day's verses. I got caught up on our reading last night and read all the posts from yesterday this morning. I also struggled with having to be just-so before stepping out of my house. Same things as you all talked about yesterday. As I grow I am getting better in that area. I take my son to school in sweats and a hat, no make-up, etc but I still try to get ready before heading out to do errands and things. I think for me it has become a matter of who am I trying to impress. Am I just wanting to take care of me and honor God or I am trying to impress people. I struggle with the balance sometimes. I love clothes and shoes and all that girl stuff. I know that in and of itself is fine, but I have to watch and not let it get out of balance and become an idol in my life.

Krista, thank you for being so open with everyone yesterday. There are things in my own life that I have to stay completely away from because of the bondage that it can lead me into as well. I no longer watch soap operas, read romance novels or secular fiction, and I guard what goes into my mind and what my eyes see very, very closely. I have always wanted to post my testimony on my blog and after reading Melissa's devotion this week called "Stained and Ruined No More" I am going to. I would like to get that written today so ladies check out my blog sometime over the next few days :)

One thing I noticed in today's reading is Paul's focus on others and wanting to do what he needed to so that others may be saved. He was not limiting himself to a "Christian" box. He became more Jewish so that some of them might be saved, he became more like the Gentiles so they might be saved. He says in 1 Corn 10:33, "I don't just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved." I know Paul never compromised, he walked fully in the Holy Spirit. We can do the same. Becoming that light to the unsaved around us. For me that means not being at church every time the doors are open, saying no to things that interfere with things that are at the same time I need to be with my family if it is not something we can all do together. I am not saying I never do things like a scrapbook night with my friends, those types of things, but prayer meetings and going to all the home show parties every time I am invited, extra church services, etc. I would love to go to Christmas Eve communion service, but right now that is not something I feel free to do. You know? The reading just drew my mind to that point, Paul was adaptable and always was looking to how he could change so that others would see Christ in him and be saved.

Ladies, you have a wonderful day! I am going to be home all day for the first day this week. WooHoo! I get stressed when I have weeks I am not at home. I have been gone everyday this week all day from the time I drop Will off to the time I pick him up. Ready for a day at home to get some things done, have a good long time in prayer and the Word and to exercise. Have a blessed one!

Love,
Brandee, TN

Anonymous Lori said...

Oh, dear friends so, so much to let sink in today! I'm still on that one particular verse from yesterday, it was so small, but yet I just could not get it out of my mind:
"I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible," (1 Cor 7:35). Wendy, your quote today by F. Chan, reminded me of this verse again, "In our world, where hundreds of things distract us from God, we have to intentionally and consistently remind ourselves of Him." WOW!

Now, this is something that is becoming clearer to me...Think about this...when there is a person that you really enjoy the company of, a special best friend, you know, well, it's easy to make the time for those people. You go out of your way because, well, it's just worth your time. And, to me that it how it gets with God. That relationship grows, and it gets to the point where you just want to spend time with Him. He just is in your thoughts all day long. You go out of your way to find the time to spend extra time reading His word. Naturally, you just want to give up things that you once did in order to have more time with Him. You realize the blessings He pours over you when you intentionally take time to pray. You realize it's just better with Him. I won't say there are not ANY distractions, because this world if full of them. But, I will say, the more I know God, the stronger my relationship & closer it is, the easier it is to stay focused on Him. Ahh, the free benefits too are so worth it. The fruit of the Spirit.
Oh Dear Lord Jesus, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have chosen to draw me so close to you. I don't know why, but you've completely overwhelmed me with your love. You have put people around me that purposely love you with all of their heart, people that encourage and bless me daily, people that draw me closer to you. Today, I look forward to entertaining thoughts about YOU. I love you dearly. It's You that I want on my mind. I want to see out of your eyes today dear Lord. I want to see those around me the way you see them. I want to love those around me the way you have loved me. I want to abide in you and walk victoriously, all day long. Thank you for the blessings that you freely give to me. Thank you for your love. With all of my heart I love you, In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Hugs dear friends! Love you all, Lori-AZ

Blogger Brandee said...

Wanted to stop back by for a minute and share that as I was working through my week on peace in "Living Beyond Yourself" this morning the same scripture came up that you posted Wendy, Isaiah 26:3 :)

Lori, I love what you said about best friends and making time for them, going out of our way for them. I think that is why I get "off," and get stressed when I have weeks where I am not home very much. When I am not at home I don't have as much time to be in the Word. I don't know if you ladies are this way, but it is very hard for me to concentrate when my boys are home and there is a TV, computer or video games going. I like quiet and that is why I always get up in the mornings before they do, even on the weekends. When I am gone a lot like I have been I feel out of balance. As Lori said, when you have that closeness you want to spend more time growing that relationship.

Ok, speaking of boys getting up, off to get Will up to get ready for school...

Anonymous Morgen said...

I LOVE you God!

Blogger Melissa Milbourn said...

Hey Girl,
I love this post.

I also love the book Crazy Love. I read it earlier in the year. awesome.

Hope all is well :-) Miss you.

Blogger Joyful said...

Where has this day gone? Ten more minutes and it's tomorrow. I hate being so late coming here...my brain is too tired to think straight. :)

Enjoyed everyone's comments and thoughts today. Love you all so much.

One of the many verses I highlighted was "...you sin against other believers by encouraging them to do something they believe is wrong..." 1 Corinthians 8:12

This verse is powerful. To me it means that we must hold to the convictions that God has placed on our hearts, but not condemn or criticize others with contrary preferences. Yes, there are some absolute truths that cannot be negotiated, but so many of the differences believers face do not fall into the precept catagory. Most often we struggle with personal choice.

If the Lord places a conviction on my heart in one area, I must be true to the standard that God has called me to hold. If my sister in the Lord has a different view in that area, I must accept her opinion and honour her committment to the Lord. Trying to encourage anyone to go against their belief before God is wrong. We all must be obedient to the Lord's voice over our lives and not be the cause of another's stumble.

All for Him,
Joy

Post a Comment

Home