Training That Is Much Better
"Physical training good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come."
1 Timothy 4:8

Friends, I have finally found the verse I have been looking for my whole life. Hallelujah! Paul has written in it black and white and the words are God-inspired. Here is my written permission to choose studying God's Word rather than running on the treadmill. Finally, permission not to exercise! (Smile)

Before I get too carried away, you must know how much a loathe physical exercise, however, I am aware that my body is the temple of the living God and caring for it is my responsibility. Like it or not, physical exercise is part of caring for that temple.

Paul was speaking to Timothy about his teachings to the Greek community in Ephesus. Greeks gave much time and attention to physical appearance. He wanted Timothy to admonish the Greeks to pay less attention to physical training and more attention at godly training.

Physically appearance and good health does offer profit but it is temporary. The older I get the more I recognize this truth. Physical appearance disappears and good health deteriorates. The opposite is true about godliness. It is permanent. It is lasting. It has benefits that will not fade with time.

Pursuing godliness profits our spiritual health as well as physical health. It brings peace and direction which reduces anxieties. It brings joy and contentment which promotes good mental health. It brings hope and life which reduces tension.

We hear the word godliness all the time but what does it mean. The Greek word for godliness is
Eusebeia (yoo-seb'-i-ah). It means to respect and reverence for God. Now the question is: how do you obtain a respect and reverence for God? In order to have respect and reverence for God you have to know Him, to know Him is to spend time with Him and His Word.

We are pursuing godliness friends. We have been since January 1, 2009. For 347 days we have been getting to God through the study of His powerful and life-changing Word. We have invested in an exercise program that will last throughout eternity. This is the training that is "much better."



11 Comments:

Blogger Brandee said...

Wendy, I wish that was permission too, lol. I don't dislike it totally, but given the choice to work on a Bible study or exercise, I would choose the Bible study any day. I do love the way exercise makes me feel when I do it though. I feel so much better and know that I am taking care of my temple when doing so. I went through a period last year, really up until this fall, where I spent all my time when I had free time doing everything but exercise. I made every excuse you can think of. Since I have started exercising I feel so much better! I know the diet is the other half of the equation, but physical exercise makes such a huge difference in our health ladies and how we feel. Even this fall things have been tough fitting it in with so much going on at school. I had my son's teacher call me yesterday afternoon and ask me if I could come to the school today to help with their dress rehersal of their play they are doing in the morning. I had to tell her no. I have got to get presents wrapped, John's baking done for work and the house cleaned and I only have today and part of tomorrow to do it. God has been working on me in the area of time management and I told his teacher that I have been praying about it and unless it is just absolutely unavoidable I will not be available on Mondays anymore. I have got to take care of my health and get those workouts in and I have got to take care of my home, that is my job and I don't like doing it on the weekends when the boys are home. I don't want to fill my plate so full in the week with school stuff that I neglect what God has called me to do as a stay home mom. Last year I struggled with that and I have really been working with God on finding balance and saying no when I am led to. I can't say yes all the time, and don't want to to be honest with you all :)

I also highlighted 1 Timothy 4:12, "Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." I have a book called "Pray Big for Your Child" and I remember this being one of the verses in there to pray over our children.

"Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth." 1 Timothy 6:6 contentment is definitely great wealth! Being discontent and always wanting more makes you so unhappy. Any happiness from stuff is so temporary. I know because I have walked that road and still struggle some in this area. I love this verse and it is one I read often.

You ladies have a fabulous day! I am going to be spending the day wrapping presents :)

Love,
Brandee, TN

Anonymous Lori said...

Well, I went back to finish reading all the goodies from the weekend, and posted today's comments on yesterday's date! So, I'm copying it here...sorry about it being on both posts!

Good Morning~ Wendy, I was thinking the same thing you were as I read 1 Tim. 4:8. But, I've found a way to do both. :) I've mentioned this before, but, when something drastically changes your life, you just want to keep telling the secret, in hopes that others' will share in the peace that it has brought you--- Combining Worship with exercise. I first heard about this through Beth Moore. I too tried it and have become 'hooked.' I began walking and listening to my ipod that has Worship songs on it. Over a period of time, God lead me to begin my walk with praying first...which I now do and then end it by turning on my ipod. I can't tell you how much peace this time with the Lord has given me. I begin with praising and thanking Him, seeking forgiveness, and then lifting up my prayer requests. Starting with my husband, 2 teenage sons, my extended family, then, friends, my home church, and now finally, He's been leading me to pray for the Nation & World. Lastly, offering up more praises to Him. By the end of the walk, truly I'm ready to begin my day!

Over the weekend I've been thinking a lot about next year. I prayed this weekend that I "may know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." John 17:3. Lord, My goal this year is to "know You." Phil. 3:10. This was Paul's desire and I want this to be my heart's desire too.

Wendy, You actually wrote about the benefits of knowing God! Ahh, Jesus coming out of you, my friend. This was something I journaled about last Sept. and something I keep praying over. To know Him. Each day more and more I desire to have a closer relationship with my Father.

I know godly people, gals, that truly respect and revere God. I'm drawn to them. They are not concerned with their outwardly appearance, but yet they are beautiful and so at peace. Glowing. I'm very concerned with my appearance. Now, that that is out there for all to see, :) I know God is more concerned with my inner-heart. I've wondered how you get to that point. Where you just glow, where it's Christ that people see, His Glory coming out.-not the jewelry or clothes that all coordinate, but that inner beauty and peace. Wendy, you've opened this up to me some more and given me more to think about. Ahhh, ladies, it's knowing Him...respecting and revering God.
*Spending time with Him in His Word as he talks to each one of us.
*Praying to Him as we talk to Him
*Listening as the Spirit guides us and counsels us through our day.
Benefits:
*Peace
*Daily direction in His will
*contentment
*less tension
***we could go on and on re: the benefits!

This journey together just keeps getting better and better! Love each one of you! Know you are being prayed over.

Hugs, Lori - AZ

Blogger Joyful said...

Whenever I'm debating between two verses to focus on for my blog post, I check in here first. Since you wrote about one of my choices, I'll write on the other one. :)

Such truth Wendy. The value of being spiritually fit. I think because I know the benefits of physical fitness, I am inspired to exercise. If life gets busy and I miss it for a few days, I feel it. The same is true spiritually. I need to eat right by nourishing myself with sound doctrine and not false teaching. I need a balanced, daily diet, and not starve myself, each 'fast food' or fill myself at a buffet so that I can miss a meal.

Like physical exercise I must be committed regularly to staying spiritually fit. I need purpose, plan and priority. Wendy, you have encouraged us all with your example here. Thank you for helping us stay on track daily. God is building spiritual disciplines into my life as I'm pursing Him.

As 1 Timothy 4:10 says, it's "hard work". Another translation uses the word "labour", meaning to work to the point of weariness. It is work, but the result is godliness.

Brandee, you are making wise choices. It's hard saying no, but we have to set boundaries and your family is priority. I hope you get much accomplished today. I'm home wrapping gifts today too. I'll be thinking of you :)

Lori, the verses the Lord has spoken to you about "knowing Him" are the exact verses that the Lord gave me for this year back in January 2009!!!!! It truly has been a year of really knowing Him.

I'm going to write about the 1 Timothy 4:12 passage you mentioned Brandee. I'll try and get back here later to share what God opens up to my heart.

For now, I must dash. My husbands car died on Saturday so we are now a one vehicle family. I have to drive him to work in a couple of minutes so that I can have the car for the remainder of the day. Had not anticipated this so close to Christmas. Oh well, at least my car works and we still have transportation. Trying not to be discouraged or complain.

Love to you all,
Joy

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Well this is a good one! (smile) I was very thin most of my life. 5'5" and 95lbs until I was 30yrs. And I very much liked all sorts of physical exercise.. then life got in the way and my love of exercise faded and I grew and grew ... I have struggled with my weight for the last 15 years, but God is so good, I found that love of exercise again. I now swim 3-4 days a week and hike when I can and do whatever else I can put in.

Lori - I can see your glow in your writing. Your zeal and love for God shows and I'm sure it does in person as well. Keep it up.

Brandee good for you, I at 46 am working on balance too. It is really hard to say No but I'm working on it.

Joy - Praying for Auto favor for you.

God has really been dealing with me about balance in every area of my life. Food, Exercise, activities, helping others. So I start with Him, and He shows me what that balance is for my life.

Blessings Everyone!
Lynn - OR

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, you asked us to jot down what this journey has meant/done for us this year. Well your blog today hits it home for me. I wanted to join your blog group because I was seeking Godliness. I wanted to delve into His word and learn more about my Lord and Savior and know Him more.
That is exactly what we've accomplished this year, along with making new friends and feeling the comfort and safety among sisters-in-Christ!

I too am an avid exerciser...I started in college in the early 80's being very consistent with it. As I've aged though, it seems my body parts have drooped and sagged and they aren't where they used to be:)....but taking care of God's Temple is what takes precedent now. Oh yes, it's nice to still fit in last years' jeans....but that isn't my focus anymore. May my spiritual exercise reflect as much. That I do it to honor Him.

Happy Monday!
Morgen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ho hi ho it's back to work I go...and I have cut my time this morning to the point I will need to race to get out the door. Hmmm...can I count that as exercise? :)

Just want to say you are all adding to the Joy of the season for me. I leave this blog smiling every time I pop in. God is so faithful and good in the work he is doing here. I am humbled and honored to be a part of it.

God bless you all today,

Liz
AK

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Wendy, I, too, was excited to see that it is biblical to forgo exercise. But we both know we can't take that out of context! (Too bad!) I used to do yoga in the mornings then I heard that Christians shouldn't do yoga because of the spiritual aspect of it. Then I had a minor surgery which sidelined me for 6 weeks and I have not gone back to a regular routine eversince. That was 2 years ago! Aaack! So in 2010, I will join Brandee and Joy in being good to our temples.

Brandee, kudos on setting those boundaries. I have a hard time saying no, too. Liz, I read your post yesterday. While I don't know your story, I'm glad to see that there seems to be a happy ending (beginning?) at your new church. Lori, Amen to all you said! Joy, I, too, pray that your husband's car gets fixed.

The verse that spoke to me today (see, I'm learning - we are only to choose one instead of what I've been doing the last few days. Thank you for your patience to this newbie, sisters!) was 1 Tim 4:15b, speaking of spiritual gifts, Paul said:"Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress." The dictionary defines throw as "to hurl or fling with great force or speed." We are not to let our gifts sit and get stagnant. We are to use our gifts with all we have, with passion. God gave these gifts to us for the harvest, to win more souls for Him. Does not just get your juices flowing?

Have a blessed Monday, dear sisters!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen Grace and Peace!

Morgen

Blogger Jules said...

Too bad, is right. I still can't wait to show this scripture to my husband tonight! LOL. But you're right too, God expects us to take care of our bodies, which are temples for Him.

The scripture and thoughts you brought out are good reminders for us all. While we don't want to look frumpy, we shouldn't worry too much over our hair, make-up, jewelry, ect. to see how "pretty" we can be and over-look the things that really matter deep in our heart. God wants us to look even prettier on the inside than on the outside. May our soul speak more beautifully than our appreance.

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Lori for the Worship and Walk idea. I have needed to improve both areas and this is a great way to do it.
Elizabeth AR

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A number of people have mentioned books on and off, and I want to tell you about a place you can go to get FREE books. It is paperbackswap.com You list books and when someone requests them, you send them to them, the postage isn't usually over $3-4. But when people send YOU a book that you have requested, then you don't pay anything! Today I received the book "Women of Faith Daily Devotional" by Patsy Clairmont, Barbara Johnson, Marilyn Meberg, Luci Swindoll, Sheila Walsh, and Thelma Wells. It looks like new, it's in so good condition. It sure saves money...just paying the postage. I hope that some of you will be able to get some good books, like I have.

Jan TN

Post a Comment

Home