Being One
"For there in one body and one Spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future."
Ephesians 4:5

We are one body and of one Spirit. Oh, that we would act like it. The "we" Paul refers to throughout his letter to the church in Ephesus is the Body of Christ-believers. Each believer is a member or part of the Body of Christ. Every believer is given a spiritual gift God expects to be used to further His Kingdom. Using these gifts will bring joy and blessings to the believer.

The Body of Christ and believers don't experience the fullness of said joy and blessings because we fail to live in unity as we instructed. The church is full of "individuals." We live in a self-serve, have-it-your way world that finds its way through the doors of our churches. Paul shares the secret to oneness as believers and oneness as the Body of Christ. I love Paul's practical and straight forward way of saying what needs to be said.
  1. Live a life worthy of your calling
    (
    the divine invitation to embrace the salvation of God)
  2. Always be humble and gentle
  3. Be patient with one another (display grace)
  4. Make allowance for each others faults (display mercy)
  5. Keep yourself united with the Spirit, bind yourself together with peace
All this because:
There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father, who is over all and in all and living through all.

What would happen if the Body started following these straight-forward instructions? Lives would be changed, souls would be saved, and work on earth would be accomplished. I believe the Kingdom of God would surely come because His will would be done. Oh what a day of rejoicing that will be!


12 Comments:

Blogger Brandee said...

Morning Ladies~
Wendy, we sing a song at church and the chorus goes like this:

It's not how I look,
It's not what I say,
It's not about everything being my way
But the reason that I sing my praise is to worship Christ my King
It's not about me, O Lord,
It's all about You, all about You!

I was reminded just this weekend the truth of these words. John 13:35 says, "By this all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another." I want to do the special work God gave me to do in the fellowship of believers in which He has placed me so that others may grow and add to the whole body's love and health (Eph 4:16). I don't want to be a contributor to making the body of Christ sick and I am learning to recognize when I am getting off track and not walking in this unity.

Today's reading had SOOO much I can not write about all that I highlighted. Eph 4:21-24 was one of the passages. Now that we know the truth of Christ let us throw off our old sinful nature and former way of life. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God-truly righteous and holy. This whole year this is what we have been doing, letting the Spirit renew our thoughts. Life is so much better walking in God's ways and truth then in the old sinful nature and my former way of life. I do not want to bring sorrow to the Spirit by living like that old me (Eph 4:30). Instead I want to imitate God and live a life of love (Eph 5:1-2).

I pray for all of you that God would empower you with inner strength through His Spirit from His glorious and unlimited resources. May Christ make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. May your roots grow down into God's love and keep you strong. May you grasp how wide, how long, how high and how deep His love for you really is. May you experience the love of Christ and be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. (Eph 3:16-19).

Have a blessed day sisters!
Brandee, TN

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Oh Ladies,
The excitement I felt when coming back from "Deeper Still" and I found our chronological reading lead to the book of Ephesians. During the conference, we spent hours on the book. Particularly Eph 3:20-21...Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mightly power at work within us, to accopmplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

Wow! God spoke to me in so many ways this weekend. NOW! He is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than we ask or think...for some time, I have hungered for more...on the last hour and half of my drive home Sunday morning, I knew God was calling me to do something...something in our church. At the same time, I thought who am I to think He would call me...yet when I arrived at church to meet my family, I found they hadn't arrived. Most of the church was in Sunday School, the only one in the lobby was the pastor. With the door wide open, I began to tell him what God had placed on my heart. Ron, our pastor, had a response that I didn't imagaine...he said, "Nancy, believe it or not, you are an answer to prayer." Lori, your words of encouragement last Thursday still ring loudly in my ears...yes, God placed me here in this church, in this community for a reason.

I would love to share just a short illustration given at the conference over Eph 3:20-21. Imagine a beautiful Christmas box. This box is filled with the things that formed your image of God beginning maybe with your parents, your church, your friends, praise songs, books, experiences...the problem isn't the box or the contents. The issue lies with the fact some of us have put a lid on the box! Let Him come bursting through the top!

We (our church) hope to find a good Bible study for men and women. If you have such a study in mind, please let me know. We are a small country church...can't afford a lot but we have the simple necessities such as a projector screen and DVD player.

Love you,
Nancy

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning,
Wendy I loved what you wrote this morning. Can you imagine the power of an united body? I have to share something so amazing that I learned yesterday. I wasn't going to, but my faith was just increased so much through this. Last summer I had this HEAVY burden one morning as I was pray-walking. I started thinking about how different a person's life is when they read the Bible. How filled they are, how much joy they experience. Anyway I felt this heavy burden to begin praying that every person in my home church, would begin reading the Bible, cover to cover, yearly. I believe that more Christians don't read the Bible than do, across America. Our church is amazing; I know we have MANY strong believers that are quite diligent in their daily study and do read. As I thought about our church and imagined the power of an united, Christ filled church and the impact it could make on a community, I was in awe. What if each and every person woke up and began their day with God? What if each person humbly loved and anticipated furthering His Kingdom every single day? What if each person thought about God and others' first, not themselves?

So I prayed daily re this.

Without looking back at my journal I'm guessing around Oct. I felt led to write a letter re my burden to our Sr. pastor. Oh, I fought it alright. I kept hearing the whispers to do it, thinking who am I to write him! You know I've told you before how I belong to a large mega church-I'm just a little no body in the big picture! Anyway, eventually I finally wrote him a letter with my burden. It all gets back to the one important thing: God's Word. It should be the focus on every person's mind.

Yesterday, in church he had an announcement! He said he'd be telling us more about it in the next couple of weeks, but get this:
our church is partnering with another church in the Phoenix area, and we are going to read through the Bible together next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have the Holy goosebumps that I do? :) Oh, dear sisters there is power in God's Word. There is power in our daily praying! He hears us. He blesses us more than we'd ever dream! I want to encourage you to pray. Pray for BIG things to happen. Listen to His voice. If He's leading you to pray, pray and believe! Never doubt the power of prayer.

I was just thinking about the power of the churches across America, and how we could affect our nation, if all churches, all believer's read their Bible every single day, and are seeking to walk along with God, following His Will. Can you even imagine? How many more people would be saved!

Like Brandee said, oh, may we all grasp how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is for us! May we each enjoy the fullness of life and the power that comes from God. Thank you, Lord! Love you, dear Lord Jesus!
Love each of you sister's too!
Praying that we each are filled to the brim today with His Holy Spirit! Hugs, Lori - AZ

Anonymous Lori said...

Nancy, I just read your post. Oh, I can feel the Spirit in you and I'm so thanking our Father right now for what he is doing in you! Why settle for status quo when we have His power in us? Let's take the lid's off ladies! Let's allow Him to come bursting through. There's no telling what God will do when, we truly put our 100% faith and belief in Him. Glory to God for what He is doing in us. Glory! I will continue to pray for you dear sweet Nancy! I have not taken any couple's Bible Studies [we gotta get Dave saved first! :) ]so I can't offer any suggestions, but I know some good ones will come your way, because this is God's Will for your church! :)
Love you, Lori
THANKS for sharing!

Blogger Brandee said...

Nancy, do you want one for couples or just a good one for men and women to be in together? Reason I ask is our church is going to be offering this coming year "Love and Respect" by Dr. Emerson Eggerich. They have offered it once before and there is so much interest they are offering it again. I have read the book and it is AWESOME! It is for married couples though, not just men and women. Just thought I would throw that out there :)

Ok, Got to get ready for the day ladies!

Blogger Joyful said...

Oh girls I just want to hug all of you reading through these comments! (((HUGS))) Your excitement, enthusiasm and love for the Lord is evident in every word. I love all your hearts as you are seeking after Him.

Wendy, this truth is powerful. The unity of "one". God's Word so often refers to "the church". Not "churches". It's one body! I just love that the Tuesday morning group of ladies I lead come from such a vast number of different denominations. We have so many different denominations represented at our Bible study, but one Lord and one desire to grow in our knowledge and experience of Him.

This morning God spoke specifically to my heart. "...let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes." Ephesians 4:23

"I'm feelin' good from my head to my shoes
Know where I'm goin' and I know what He'll do
God tidied up my point of view
And gave a new attitude."

As you can see, I took a few liberties with one of the songs Patti LaBelle made famous, "New Attitude".

I'm sensing I need that shift today. I love when God speaks immediately to a situation, even if it is a lecture, with an index finger shaking and pointing directly at me.

Last week it appeared some decisions were made, without my knowing, in an area where I give support and encouragement. The decisions made will have great impact on my involvement and my time. My initial response has been to resist. I felt I was being forced to take on new responsibilities and new time committments without any consideration. Although I would have likely said 'yes', you know how it is when you feel presumed upon? Suddenly something within rises in opposition. I hate it when that happens! I have been really struggling with my reaction.

"...let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes."

Lord, I need you to purge me from this internal feeling that is being expressed outwardly in a disposition of difficulty. I do not believe what has happened was intentional, nor was it to burden me. In actual fact, the motive behind the change was to protect my position and provide possibilities for future participation.

Father forgive me for my reactions. Remove the desire to justify my response. My reactions are my responsibility. Situations and other people may influence my emotions, but no one can dictate how I respond. I cannot blame the decisions handed down to me on my disposition. My attitude remains a choice. Bring it into obedience to Your will and Your Word. Help me put on Your new nature of righteousness and holiness. Replace this rebellious attitude with one of submission. Change my pattern of thinking. Give me Your new attitude.

In repentance and surrender,
Joy

Blogger Deb said...

Joy I loved that you pointed out that God's Word says the church not churches.

So often it seems to me that denominations and non- denominational churches seem to be in competition with one another for members. Who has the right way to worship, who has the right way to serve, who has the right interpretation of the gospels and what the Good News actually is.

It's very comforting to know that in this particular blog of believing women (sorry guys if you are reading and participating) we seem to come together in unity. That unity is a relationship we share with God through Jesus Christ and with one another.

How fabulous Joy that you lead a study with women from a variety of denominations! That you come together in the name of Jesus Christ to learn and fellowship together.

I have also joined a community of women from another church for study and fellowship and find that it lifts His spirit within and stirs my soul each time we meet I have learned so much and grown closer in my relationship with God.

I heard an author speak on Moody Radio...I appologize for not writing down this author's name or his book, but in essence he said,
as believers coming from different denominations, we can still come out in the hallway from our separate rooms and find unity in Jesus Christ.

Isn't that what it's all about? It's not about us. It's about keeping our focus on the one we find our unity in.

There is so much to be learned from branching out beyond our home church....to the church of believers.

Thanking God today for this body of believers that I have found nourishment and fellowship for my spirit and soul...and I don't even know what denomination or non-denominational church you all belong to. Now that's unity in Christ my sisters!

I have been reading along on the blog with less time to post but I continue to be inspired by you all!
Love from Debbie in Illinois

We got our first snowfall...a dusting with grass poking through but the house tops and trees are coated with snow. More is predicted to come on Tues! It's beginning to look like Christmas in Illinois!

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Good morning, ladies.

Brandee and Lori, I was reading the comments yesterday. I just want to encourage you both to not stop praying for your spouses. The day is coming when your John and your Dave will give their hearts to Jesus. God just answered that prayer of mine a few days ago. (I know! I can't believe it either!) I will join you in prayer for your husbands because I know what it's like to carry that burden.

Nancy, our women's group recently finished studying "The Search for Significance" by Robert McGee. I think this would work well for a mixed group as well. I'm also recommend Boundaries by Henry McCloud.

The verse that spoke to me was: Ephesians 4:32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Be patient. This is perfect for me in light of my husband's salvation. I am a very impatient person. I do not like waiting at all. Why is he not yet transformed? God is teaching me that I need to let Him work and for me to be still and trust Him. He also called to mind my own spiritual journey. Sanctification did not happen instantaneously either. The impatience stems from not trusting God to do things in His time. Oh, I need to repent of that hidden sin.

One last thing. It is an unusually rainy day here in So Cal. On my way to work this morning, I passed by a big rig decorated with Christmas lights shaped in candy canes and such. When I looked back on my rear view mirror, I saw at the center of the lights was the outline of the Cross. God bless that driver.

Have a blessed day, everyone. I'm going to try to join in everyday so that by January 1st, I would have formed this new habit.

Anonymous Morgen said...

Again, great thoughts everyone. Snowstorm hitting here in MN tomorrow into Wednesday. BBrrrrr...it's cold out!
Joy, once again I can relate to somehow finding myself with a large task "finagled" (sp) onto my shoulders. Sometimes I feel like I look like a target for heading up huge jobs. I am reciting "let the Spirit renew my thoughts and attitudes" in my mind. I have taken a spiritual gifts test and my big scores were on leadership and encouragement. So when I keep finding myself having leadership roles I guess it shouldn't surprise me....it is my attitude that needs to change and line up with God's.
Grace and Peace: my hubby has recently come to understand who Jesus is in his life. I too have to practice patience with him when he doesn't move forward in his faith as quickly as I would like him to. God's plan is perfect and I need to relent to Him.

Praising Him!

Blogger Brandee said...

Grace and Peace, thank you for the encouragement. I have full faith in God and my hope rests in Him and knowing that in His perfect timing John will be saved. This past week I have been attacked emotionally in several areas and I know it is because of my preparations for this coming Wednesday. Satan knows if he can distract me with my emotions being all over the place I won't be focused on what I need to say on Wednesday. I am in a good place today. I have spent the day praising and meditating on scriptures like Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." I have also listened to this song by Travis Cottrell all day today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZqhx8eSN4&feature=related

It is on his Christmas CD and I am going to be playing it at the end of my talk on Wed for the invitation. It is an amazing song! If you guys get a chance to listen to this song please do, it is very powerful! Jesus saves and He will save our dear husbands!!! Anticipating His glory to shine in John's life and in powerful ways on Wednesday!

Blogger Brandee said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZqhx
8eSN4&feature=related

Not sure if the link went all the way through, here is it again...

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions for a mixed (men/women) Bible study!!!

Nancy

Post a Comment

Home