Only one Loaf of Bread
"At this they began to argue with each
other because they hadn't brought any bread."

Mark 8:16



My Take Aways

Something Old:
Is my heart too hard to understand what God is really trying say to me or am I too worried about my "bread?"

Something New:
Mark 7:33
I wonder why Jesus choose to spit to heal the mute man instead of just say "be healed."

Something to Do:
Be quiet when God is trying to talk to me. He is trying to give me some important information. Keep the soil of my heart soft and ready for the planting of His seed to take root.


26 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Bread of Life, more than sufficient for me!

My Father, who is in Heaven, Holy is your Name (full of facets that only now am I beginning to really see; Healer, Prince of Peace, Bread of Life, Corner Stone, Capstone, Our refuge, Our strength, Light of the World....)....Give me today my daily bread (time spent in prayer, time in Your word, time at Your feet. Fill me with You! With Your humility, with Your peace, with Your love, and teach me today to see those around me as You see them)... Amen.

This weekend we saw the feeding of the 5000, and today we see the feeding of the 4000. Many people believe this is a retelling of the same story (but full of inaccuracies). Perhaps they use this as an example of how wrong the Bible is. But Jesus deliberately made them the same and different. The number of loaves is different (5 vs. 7), the number of people fed is different (5000 men and their families vs 4000 with no qualification), the number of fish is different (2 vs a few small ones), the source of the food is different (a boy vs. the disciples), and the number of baskets that are filled after everyone has been fed is also different (12 vs. 7). However, the miracle is the same. Jesus takes the loaves and the fish, He blesses them, He divides them and the disciples pass them out to the crowd. When everyone is finished, the leavings are gathered and fill many large baskets. I think the differences (and there are others that I have not mentioned or noted) are so that we know this is a different occasion. There is something to learn here.

So why does Christ perform this miracle twice? He answers in the boat (Mark 8:17-21)
17 Jesus knew what they were saying [about only having one loaf of bread], so he said, “Why are you arguing about having no bread? Don’t you know or understand even yet? Are your hearts too hard to take it in? 18 ‘You have eyes—can’t you see? You have ears—can’t you hear?’ Don’t you remember anything at all? 19 When I fed the 5,000 with five loaves of bread, how many baskets of leftovers did you pick up afterward?”
“Twelve,” they said.
20 “And when I fed the 4,000 with seven loaves, how many large baskets of leftovers did you pick up?”
“Seven,” they said.
21 “Don’t you understand yet?” he asked them.
Jesus is the Bread of Life. He is sufficient for our needs. He is the true Bread of Life, sent by God. He can magnify anything we bring to Him. He gives us life that will never perish! The yeast of the Pharisees and of Herod spread everywhere and corrupt. If the disciples feed on this bread, they will not live. (cont.)

Blogger Karen said...

(cont.)

A quick word about the first passage today; the gentile woman: She approaches Jesus and casts herself at His feet with her request. She asks Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. She is humble, she is full of belief. She asks for something she thinks is simple for Him and life-saving for her daughter.

Jesus tests her faith. I like the way Matthew Henry describes this: “Note, Where Christ knows the faith of poor supplicants to be strong, he sometimes delights to try it, and put it to the stretch. But his saying, Let the children first be filled, intimates that there was mercy in reserve for the Gentiles, and not far off;... She said, "Yes, Lord, I own it is true that the children's bread ought not to be cast to the dogs; but they were never denied the crumbs of that bread, nay it belongs to them, and they are allowed a place under the table, that they may be ready to receive them. I ask not for a loaf, no, nor for a morsel, only for a crumb; do not refuse me that." This she speaks, not as undervaluing the mercy, or making light of it in itself, but magnifying the abundance or miraculous cures with which she heard the Jews were feasted, in comparison with which a single cure was but as a crumb.”

Jesus grants her request. He sends her home to find her daughter had been instantly healed. One last quote from Matthew Henry : “The greatest blessing we can ask of Christ for our children is, that he would break the power of Satan, that is, the power of sin, in their souls; and particularly, that he would cast forth the unclean spirit, that they may be temples of the Holy Ghost, and he may dwell in them.” I pray that for my children today.

Be blessed,

Karen, Basel

Blogger Amy said...

Karen,

Thank you for posting about the Gentile woman today. We've read recently that Jesus came to teach first to the Jews, but it is frustrating that there wasn't equal opportunity here - especially as He purposely went to so many whom others considered the 'undesirables.' I've never understood that - but I like how all this woman needed was her faith. She came seeking Jesus and He didn't turn her away.


The disciples frustrated me today, too, when they were so stressed because they didn't have enough bread. Of course, this could have been weeks after Jesus multiplied the food for the crowds, but still .. wouldn't you remember that?? He hadn't let any harm come to them yet ... and yet, how often do I forget the wonderful things that He's done for me? How many miraculous signs and wonders do I see and not notice because I'm too self-centered to notice?? How many of His wonders do I take for granted? I don't want to be like the disciples and forget, or not even notice in the first place, but to have a childlike awe and wonder at the myriads of things that He does for us. Starting with this morning - the sky sure was beautiful today - so clear and full of stars!

Enough from me - hope all of you have a great Columbus Day!

Anonymous Jennifer-Iowa said...

Hi all,
I have been meaning to tell you all of a wonderful book by my favorite author, John Ortberg, called "Love Beyond Reason." He breaks down every single one of the stories Jesus tells, into incredible detail. I can’t believe how different it is to read them now after reading the book! You know how kids have that certain lovey that is old, torn, and looks despicable to others? He calls it a “rag doll,” and calls all these people Jesus heals and hangs around with, his rag dolls. It is amazing.

(He also has one called "If You Want to Walk on Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat"—my favorite!)

I have so loved the readings lately. When we talk about touch and healing, I have to mention that some of my favorite doctors use touch, and I have found that I really like it! Just a simple touch on the arm, or pat on the back…it just means so much to have that little touch!

The verse “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith,” reminded me of the song, “Don’t worry, be happy!”

Whenever I get engrossed in my incredibly busy schedule (frequently), I think of these passages of Jesus—many times he was trying to get away from the crowds, but they followed him everywhere, and he had no rest. He KNOWS what it feels like to be so busy and yet keep going (and yes, he still made quiet time to be with his Father!).

I had a slew of bad things happen last week to people I love—but I would like to comment on two deaths:

A long-time firefighter and chief here in Des Moines—a good friend, active and passionate about life. The funeral was the most amazing service. They talked about him being a shepherd—guiding many new firefighters now, guiding many of us through the Floods of ’93, taking our fire department from small volunteer to large paid….making a difference as a grandpa, husband of 50 years, friend…the procession lasted for miles as they carried his casket in a 1937 firetruck and through the station house one last time, honor guard and all….so neat.

A single mom, with an only child, an 8th grader at our school, walking home with her son and got hit by a car, leaving her with severe head injuries, and now death. She was full of joy and life, last name Smiley! She and her son were so close, each other’s worlds. Everyone loved her. (Our 8th graders arranged candles in a big smiley face outside their street tonight!)

It all made me think of the new song by Matthew West (I see someone else posted about it too!) called “My Own Little World.” I want to make a difference, and not just be “population me!” I am going to attach the lyrics below—and try to send the link here: http://www.onlylyrics.com/lyrics_video.php?grid=11&id=1049507

Jennifer--Iowa

Anonymous Jennifer-Iowa said...

Hi all,
I have been meaning to tell you all of a wonderful book by my favorite author, John Ortberg, called "Love Beyond Reason." He breaks down every single one of the stories Jesus tells, into incredible detail. I can’t believe how different it is to read them now after reading the book! You know how kids have that certain lovey that is old, torn, and looks despicable to others? He calls it a “rag doll,” and calls all these people Jesus heals and hangs around with, his rag dolls. It is amazing.

(He also has one called "If You Want to Walk on Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat"—my favorite!)

I have so loved the readings lately. When we talk about touch and healing, I have to mention that some of my favorite doctors use touch, and I have found that I really like it! Just a simple touch on the arm, or pat on the back…it just means so much to have that little touch!

The verse “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith,” reminded me of the song, “Don’t worry, be happy!”

Whenever I get engrossed in my incredibly busy schedule (frequently), I think of these passages of Jesus—many times he was trying to get away from the crowds, but they followed him everywhere, and he had no rest. He KNOWS what it feels like to be so busy and yet keep going (and yes, he still made quiet time to be with his Father!).

I had a slew of bad things happen last week to people I love—but I would like to comment on two deaths:

A long-time firefighter and chief here in Des Moines—a good friend, active and passionate about life. The funeral was the most amazing service. They talked about him being a shepherd—guiding many new firefighters now, guiding many of us through the Floods of ’93, taking our fire department from small volunteer to large paid….making a difference as a grandpa, husband of 50 years, friend…the procession lasted for miles as they carried his casket in a 1937 firetruck and through the station house one last time, honor guard and all….so neat.

A single mom, with an only child, an 8th grader at our school, walking home with her son and got hit by a car, leaving her with severe head injuries, and now death. She was full of joy and life, last name Smiley! She and her son were so close, each other’s worlds. Everyone loved her. (Our 8th graders arranged candles in a big smiley face outside their street tonight!)

It all made me think of the new song by Matthew West (I see someone else posted about it too!) called “My Own Little World.” I want to make a difference, and not just be “population me!” I am going to attach the lyrics below—and try to send the link here: http://www.onlylyrics.com/lyrics_video.php?grid=11&id=1049507

Jennifer--Iowa

Anonymous Jennifer-Iowa said...

Here are the words to the song:

"In my own little world it hardly ever rains
I’ve never gone hungry, always felt safe
I got some money in my pocket, shoes on my feet
In my own little world
Population me

I try to stay awake through Sunday morning church
I throw a twenty in the plate but I never give ’til it hurts
and I turn off the news when I don’t like what I see
it’s easy to do when it’s
population me

What if there’s a bigger picture
what if I’m missing out
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now
outside my own little world, ooo


Stopped at the red light, looked out my window
I saw a cardboard sign said “Help this homeless widow”
Just above that sign was the face of a human
I thought to myself, “God, what have I been doing?”
So I rolled down the window and I looked her in the eye
Oh how many times have I just passed her by
I gave her some money then I drove on through
in my own little world there’s
Population two, woah

What if there’s a bigger picture
what if I’m missing out
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now
outside my own little world, ooo
my own little world, ooo

Wo-a-oh x3
yeah-ah

Father break my heart for what breaks Yours
give me open hands and open doors
put Your light in my eyes and let me see
that my own little world is not about me

What if there’s a bigger picture
what if I’m missing out
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now

I don't wanna miss what matters
I wanna be reachin' out
Show me the greater purpose
So I can start livin' right now
outside my own little world, (yeah)ooo
my own little world, (yeah),yeah, yeah
my own little world, ooo”


Let's all get ouside of our own little world today! Jennifer-Iowa

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't listened to the vlog yet, but I read 2 interesting things in Courson's Commentary for today.
1) Jesus used spit because during that time, spit was thought to hold medicinal value.
2) When Jesus miraculously fed 5000+ (the first story) He was feeding Jews. The second feeding,(4000+) from the area described, Jesus was feeding Gentiles.
To me this goes along with the Gentile woman asking for the "scraps" from Jesus. In the end, Jesus came for us all.

Praising Him!
Morgen

Blogger 31 Bound Mama said...

Thanks, Wendy, for so faithfully posting this blog every day. I have come to love diving into it every morning and find myself truly missing it on the weekends!

Karen, thanks for sharing your comments about the gentile woman. I was drawn to her story today as well, perhaps because we are going through some pretty tough trials with our daughter right now and I long to have her faith. Her story hit me hard and I found myself stopping to pray...to throw myself at Jesus' feet begging for a crumb for my own daughter.

Jennifer-thanks for sharing those lyrics. That's one of my current favorite songs. It's good to be reminded that there's so much more outside of our own little world and that we need to take off our blinders and see it.

Blogger Rhonda said...

Hi Everybody,

Wendy…Thanks much…Keeping your Family in prayers.

Commentary from Workbook for lectors and gospel readers…by James L. Weaver

Matthew 15:21-28

In Matthew 10:5-15, Jesus commissions his disciples for ministry, saying, “Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matthew 10:6). In today’s reading, Jesus justifies his initial reluctance to help the Canaanite woman by saying, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matthew 15:24). On the basis of these two statements, one might reasonably conclude that Matthew’s Jesus had no interest in ministering to Gentiles.

And yet Matthew also contains examples, like today’s incident with the Canaanite woman (see also Mark 7:24-30), in which Jesus meets Gentiles, marvels at their faith, and does what they ask. In Matthew 8:5-13; see also Mark 5:1-21 and Luke 8:26-40).

Notice the woman says nothing about her faith while she verbally jousts with Jesus. Instead, it is Jesus who recognizes and points out her faith. He sees that the strength of her refusal to be pushed aside is matched only by the strength of her trust in his ability to do what she asks.

Karen…Thanks for the Matthew Henry commentary on Gentile Woman…That was good. Loved it too.

Jennifer IA…Praying for the 2 families with funerals. Thanks for sharing. Her 8 yr. old son I am going to be praying for him. Loved the song lyrics… “I throw a twenty in the plate but I never give’ til it hurts”…So easy to give when we have…takes much faith to give when it is not there. He has me working on this one. Sending you a special touch today through the air waves….(hugs).

Amy…I ponder away… at a lot of some of the same questions you ask. Yes…Lets keep looking up to the sky. (Blue skies and dark full of stars).

Gotta Have Faith….
Rhonda

Blogger Rhonda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous Lori said...

Wow, this Monday listening to your vlog sweet Wendy, and reading through the early posters (THANK YOU, girl’s!!!) –I’m speechless, whoa, that does not happen, too often! Smile!

How much really,- is my faith just like the blinded disciples? What am I missing out on that Jesus, is so patiently trying to tell me? Lord, take away any hard soil, in my heart. I want my heart to be open and ready to hear you speak to me. You have “completely amazed” me (Mark 7: 37). I want to be remembered by the words, Lori was a gal - known to “praise…God” (Matthew 15:31).

I do believe, that when we set out to remember everything He has done for us in the past, when we spend our days praising Him, - our trials will not seem so magnificent.

Seeking to hear Him today, Lori

Blogger Gaylene said...

Good Morning GiGs!

Appreciate the comments this morning and praying for the families and friends of those in the Des Moines area.

The Gentile woman: she worshiped first, then asked. How often do I turn that around: ask, then worship?

Gaylene

Blogger Gaylene said...

Oh, my notes in one of my Bibles says that Jesus spit to "show" rather than tell what he was going to do. He took the man aside, the man could not hear, so by touching the man Jesus "showed" him that He was going to do something to him- heal him.

Gaylene

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Good morning, GIGS!

Wendy, will continue to lift your family up during this time. Praying that you feel His peace that surpasses all understanding.

I love the insight that y'all have shared this morning. I've always gotten "bogged down" with the story of the gentile woman and the crumbs! It finally clicked today. I am so thankful that Jesus came not only for the Jewish people, but for me, a gentile, as well.

Wendy, I am with you on learning to be quiet when God is trying to talk to me! "Be still and know that I am God" is what comes to my heart.

Jennifer IA--praying for those friends who have lost loved ones.
Hugs!
Susan

Blogger Joyful said...

Gaylene, I made that same observation this morning...worshipping first. She worshiped even when it appeared Christ was not going to answer in the way she desired.

Wendy, praying for you, your husband and your family. I always enjoy Chip Ingram's ministry. Thanks for sharing that powerful message this morning.

Offering a sacrifice of praise,
Joy

Blogger jodi said...

Good morning FIGs,
Another rich day in the Word and from your vlog today, Wendy.
Thank you for sharing what you learned about going forward from a place of victory in our trials...I'm feeling pretty worn out, too, and this is a wonderful reminder! We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus! Thank you, Lord!
Wendy, I will be praying for you and Scott this week in the midst of this difficult trial you are facing.
You are an inspiration to us, Wendy. Despite a difficult circumstance, you are faithful to walk with us each day in God's word. Thank you!

I, too, found myself chuckling as I read that the disciples began to argue about the bread after Jesus' profound statement to them regarding the "yeast" of the Pharisees and Saducees.
Oh, how off base we can be sometimes! I'd be right there with the disciples probably. I'd like to think I'd have open eyes and ears, having remembered what Jesus had just done, but I ask myself: "Jodi, how are you reacting in your current trial? Are you like the Samaritan woman in today's reading who had that unwavering, determined faith? Are you remembering all that Jesus has already done for you? Or are you acting like the disciples - arguing and focusing on the bread (the small stuff)?"
Lord Jesus, give me eyes to see and ears to hear. Forgive me for my lack of faith and failing to remember who You are and all that You have done and can do in my life. Keep me focused on You, not the bread.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning everyone, I am appreciating all your comments. Wendy, thank you again for all the time and devotion you offer to us your students. How many lives you touch every day by your dedication!

I was thinking this morning about the yeast that Jesus warned of. Yeast really doesn't have much substance. It is pretty insignificant in measure or weight. But it is powerful! Have you ever left something rising and forgot about it? It is the yeast that can cause the dough to spill out all over the bowl (or in my case, pop out of a plastic bag, all over my refrigerator)! And yet, it is still not of any substance-- it uses the sugars to form gas-- air! All puffed up, fluffy and big, but empty.

So with the Pharisees, the yeast in their teachings can make their words seem powerful, but they are really without weight, full of air and not grounded in God's message. They can manipulate the words to make their teachings look important and attractive (...a big fat cinnamon roll!) but there is really not much to chew on, it is empty, leaving one unsatisfied. (I must have just one more roll...!)

I think about the ways of this world now that are fluffy and attractive, full of "yeast," but without much substance. Lord help me to see beyond the trappings and offerings of the world and stay connected to Your rich Truth, the real words of life.

Blessing you all,
Jacque

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning

I have been reading and listening off and on through out this year but God is really asking me to read His Word everyday so I'm making a new commitment.

I also had to laugh at how our minds work. Jesus says yeast, we think bread, we don't have enough...off on our topic instead of His!

Jennifer-Iowa - Two things from what you wrote. Yesterday I heard on the radio about a Captain Smiley who lost in eyes in battle and is skiing, surfing, and honoring the Lord. I pray he is related to this young boy or that God will make that connection some how!

Around that same time on the radio they talked to Matthew West about his new album and that song. I think God wants me to pay attention to the lyrics!

Gaylene - that makes sense why He did it that way!!

Precious Lord ~ Please richly bless these faithful followers!

D ~ MN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a link about Captain Scott Smiley (I wouldn't have remembered except the last names are the same and memorable:)
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/05/sunday/main6837189.shtml

D ~ MN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen, thank you for your morning prayer. And for pointing out that Jesus was testing the woman-- I didn't get it until your words made it more clear. He wasn't being mean! But she was assertive, which I liked!

SAP for those grieving in your city, Jennifer. And thank you for that beautiful song!

Welcome, to D- MN! And to 31 Bound Mama! (Love that name!) SAP for your daughter's trials and your family too, because its all one. In your struggles you will find strength.

Yes Amy, the "self" in me loves to rear its ugly head, never enough, wanting more, and not appreciating everything around me. I sometimes don't want to share my bread, forgetting that the more I give freely, the more I am blessed.

Praying for Wendy and all,
Jacque

Anonymous Jules said...

I haven't read today's Bible reading yet, but am excited to after watching and listening to your video! Wendy, you have brought out some really great thoughts conscerning the scripture today that I just want to re-watch the clip and just meditate on that for a while. Thanks so much for sharing.

Blogger SuzyR said...

Karen...Thank you for sharing your heart about the Gentile Woman...that was my favorite of today's reading..Jesus is so generous and merciful...he was not trying to deny her anything..just testing her faith. I hope I pass when he tests my faith...

Still praying for your family Wendy...

God bless your day,

Sue in Nor Cal

Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning, GIGs,

Yesterday at church we also had the "10 lepers and only one turned to thank Jesus for healing him" scripture (Luke 17:11-19) followed by an excellent sermon on being grateful to the Lord. Just three days earlier I had resumed a practice I was into last year of keeping a daily gratitude journal. (The difference now is that I entitled it "Blessings.") I felt compelled to do this Thursday because such an amazing number of little blessings came my way. A big problem was solved for my daughter, my new Pastor sent me a very nice "welcome" letter, my sister once again displayed amazing fortitude in the face of a grim diagnosis, I drove by a former student whose face lit up in a huge smile when he saw me, my son had a successful observation by his mentor teacher, I got a good haircut --- I recorded 18 blessings and I'm sure I forgot a few!!

There will always be problems and hurts and issues and challenges and uncertainties, but I never want to be like the nine lepers who hustled away and never even said "thank you, Lord."

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
P.S. Lori, my church had its annual Blessing of the Animals yesterday. You would have LOVED to see all the wonderful dogs, one of whom travels all over the country in an RV, and is nicknamed Velcro Dog!

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Good morning, GIGs and welcome to our new sisters D ~ Mn and 31 Bound Mama. Teeny, it was nice to hear from you again this weekend. And Jennifer Renee - awesome God moment there.

The point I picked from the weekend reading of the feeding of the 5,000 was the faithfulness of the mom who packed the little boy's lunch. My pastor said that little did she know she would be participating in a miracle. It is the little things that we do that God can multiply and bless others if we offer it to him.

Have a great day, dear friends.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacque...Listening to Revelvant Radio right now on line and they are discussiong Evil Spirits. The website http://radiotime.com/search.aspx?id+g270+filter=&so=26...If can't click onto RevevantRadio.com. Pretty interesting.

Just me Rhonda....forgot to blog in....so doing anonymous

Blogger Jules said...

I was finally able to do the reading yesterday, but went back again this morning to re-watching the video. Really enjoyed this post yesterday. It gave me much food for thought.

My Something Old: Mark 7:24-30 & Matthew 15:21-28. I knew about this story about the gentile woman and have heard/read it several times. But for whatever reason, the meaning behind it never really clicked until yesterday. I think for took long I got stuck on the dogs, crumbs, and bread to be able to get what Jesus was really saying to her. Guess I'm not any different from the disciples and their situation later on in Mark 8. Thankful for the understanding I got from this lesson.

Something New: Matthew 16:2 "Red sky at night means fair weather tomorrow; red sky in the morning means foul weather." I always just thought that was an old sailor saying "Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red in the morning, sailor take warning." Very cool. It's Bible. A small nugget, but a nugget never the less. :o)

SomethingToDo/Nugget: Beware! Watch out! Be on the look out for those who would spread bad yeast. Tune my ear to what God would have me to hear FROM HIM, not from what others want me to hear, say, think, or do. What does God have for me? Am I willing to listen to Him, or do I get caught up in my own thoughts? Wendy gave me much to think on and I wrote done several of her thoughts that she shared on the video. Thank you so much!

Post a Comment

Home