"Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray."
Mark 1:35
My Take Aways
Something Old:
I would love to have been in the synagogue to hear Jesus read from the scroll of Isaiah. Can you imagine hearing Him read 61:1-2? Can't you just see the reaction on the faces of the people when he sat down and said, "It is fulfilled?" Have mercy...what a moment!
Something New:
Everyone in Peter's household was saved after witnessing the miraculous healings.
Jesus first and second miracle was in Cana.Something to Do:
Keep praying by Jesus' example.
Morning Verses
Psalm 5:3
Psalm 88:13
Psalm 90:14- I forgot how much I loved this one.
Psalm 127:2-My personal fav.
Psalm 130:6
In His Presence-Brooklyn Tabernacle






17 Comments:
Tina,
Thank you for posting last night. I keep praying for you and Claire. I also am so glad we read about Jesus healing the sick today!
He took our sickness and removed our diseases (Isa.53:4, Mat. 8:17). I love the compassion He shows! My prayer is that each of you dealing with illness today, soak up these passages and be filled with His hope and His peace!
I also loved how He would not let the daemons speak "because they knew who He was". I wonder why that is? Did He not want daemons testifying? Or did He not want to be revealed yet?
Another point that struck me today were Mark 1:27, Luke 4:36 where the people hearing Jesus remark on the authority with which He speaks. It is new; they have never heard it before! Even the daemons obey Him!
Many commented yesterday that they would have loved to be baptized by Jesus(and we are with Spirit); similarly I would have loved to hear Him speak (and I do if I would only listen)! What a paradox!
I am short on time today, so I will sign off with this. I hope you all have a great day!
Karen, Basel
Karen, I agree on all points!
I would also not have wanted to be a part of Jesus' home synygogue in Nazareth. Tough crowd - to try to kill Him just because He wouldn't do a miracle for them! How often do we unfairly judge people for something that is their own personal choice? Just because they don't do what we want? Way too often for me, I'm sure. Gotta watch that.
Wendy, I started getting up before my family nearly 2 years ago for Jesus time, and it has made such a difference! I will never go back to those yucky days - and if for some reason I'm off track and don't start my day that way now, I can tell a huge difference in my attitude and outlook for the day. He definitely needs His time, and I need my time with Him!
I love reading the New Testament. I'm with Karen...I would have loved to have heard an actual sermon from Jesus' lips! In person, in living color!
I see where He tells us to "repent of your sins"...sometimes I get lax about this, and here today I read that that command came straight from Jesus' mouth. It is important! What do I need to "turn away" from today? Lord, search my heart and sweep away the dirt. Amen.
Praising Him
Morgen
You know the Lord is trying to get your attention when you receive the same message from two friends. Along with this word on your blog today Wendy, sweet Lori had sent me an email encouraging me to get back in God's Word every day, first thing in the morning! For so many years I have been faithfully feeding on His Word in the morning, yet this year has been a continual struggle. God's timing is incredible.
I was taken today by the word "amazed". The people were amazed at Jesus. Lord, please forgive me for the many times I have failed to be rightly amazed at Your Son. May I join with those today who stand in awe of You.
I also noticed a little phrase in Luke 4:16, "...he went as usual to the synagogue..." I thought of people who frequent a coffee shop and ask for "the ususal". A regular practice or procedure has been done so often that other's have observed and know the pattern. Wondering...when people look at my life, what do they see as my "usual"? Is there any constant repetition in my life of an activity that other's might see which speaks of my committment and devotion to the Lord? Just pondering on that today.
The song you included has reached into my heart deeply. Thank you. Also, glad you mentioned the Daniel passage...I need to be praying that prayer.
Blessings, and prayers for Claire,
Joy
Happy Glorious Day Dear GIG~
Wendy, thank you for lifting up a prayer for one of the Lord’s special daughters, - sweet little Claire, and like you said Karen, -what a day for us to read about Jesus healing the people today. I’m also thinking about Denise today as she undergoes her surgery. Dear Lord, this has all been planned out by you for a very good reason. If it is apart of your plan, please touch both of these daughter’s of yours today. May we together on this blog be able to say, we’re “amazed”…at the “power” …you “possess” (Luke 4:36).
Three words stuck out to me today: “no matter what” (Luke 4:40).
Oh girls, these are 3 words to hold close to our hearts – with any situation we may be in! “No matter what” our situation – we are not alone! He is in our midst. He goes before us, and he also follows us from behind. He never sleeps, - “No matter what” – He is right there besides us, waiting, for us to go to Him too, with our every need.
I loved what you shared today, Wendy – regarding your early morning quiet time. How I wish I knew about “early morning - quiet time” when I was your age! But, God is good, for He has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams, to meet with me, and reveal Himself to me, even, after getting such a late start in this personal and intimate relationship - in my 50’s! I will, 100% agree with Wendy, - giving God our first fruits, meeting with Him first thing, is the best thing you could do in your day. God first. God first. God first. Today, as I read about what Jesus did, I thought, why would we even think of doing it any different? He got up before daybreak each morning, isolated himself, and prayed. If it worked so well for Him, why would we even try to invent a new way. Dear Jesus, You alone are our example. May we follow your lead, and give you the first moments of our day. May you meet with each one of us today and reveal something new. Woo us and amaze us – most certainly we will NOT keep quiet about it. We will share your goodness with those around us as long as you give us breath to breathe. We love you and adore you and worship you with all of our hearts. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.
Love and prayers coming your way, Lori
PS When I saw your sweet name, precious Joy- my heart swelled with loving thoughts. For those of you reading along with Wendy, during 2010, well, Joy was a poster, daily,- during 2000. All of us were spoiled by her writing. God used her talents to teach me how to read the Bible and apply it to my own life. Glad to have you back, sister! You know how much you’ve been missed!
Lori...we must have been writing at the same time...and THANK YOU for highlighting the "no matter what". Thank you for reminding me that nothing is outside of God's healing touch.
Love ya girl,
Joy
Joy, we were typing at the same time! While I was listening to Wendy talk about putting God's Word first, I thought to myself...woowee, wait till Joy hears this one! I actually lol, knowing God was speaking out of Wendy! It most certainly, was one sweet God moment! Thank you Jesus! You've given me a moment already that has amazed me. You do love each one of us, and you do care about each one of us. And, you will not let one of us go astray. Pull us so close to you, as we place you first in our day. My heart is full of love for His precious Word. Hugs, Lori
Good morning, GIGs,
I wish I could use 36 pt font, but I will have to settle for bold to say AMEN to everything you said about morning time with the Lord, Wendy. I would not be getting through life's challenges without the peaceful tankful I get in the AM!
Thank you for again sharing your testimony. It touches me deeply each time you tell us about your journey.
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Good Morning,
Praying for all!
Every morning I read the following. It blesses me & gives me great joy & comfort! May our mighty Lord touch, heal & bring comfort to you all!
Psalm 143: 8-11
'Let me hear of your unfailing love to me in the morning,
for I am trusting You.
Show me where to walk,
for I have come to You in prayer.
Save me from my enemies, LORD;
I run to You to hide me.
Teach me to do Your will,
for You are my God.
May Your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.
For the glory of Your name, O LORD, save me.
In Your righteousness, bring me out of this distress."
Blessings & Peace, Mary
Mary...I love those verses
I am praying for Claire...sweet thing...
Joy...Thank you for making me think about what is my "usual"? Are they things I want to be remembered for? Some, maybe not so much!
I was amused at the verse that said he spoke with such authority--of course--He is the Word...and I do think Jesus was not ready for the people to hear the daemons say that He is the Messiah...
I try to get up early to spend my quiet time with Him...it does not always happen. I am going to make more of an effort to do so.
Have a blessed day
Sue
Wendy,
Wonderful nuggets today. I am just now finding out about the wonderful benefits of getting up early to study His word. As I've mentioned before - I am not a morning person but losing a few minutes of sleep is nothing compared to what God reveals to my fresh-not-yet-addled mind.
Tina,
Continued prayers for baby Claire ~ and you!
Karen, Joy & Lori,
I love what you pulled out of the teaching today. "No matter what."
1. The readiness of the disciples when they heard His call. James and John did not even say goodbye to their dad (Matt 4:22). I wonder how the dad felt when that happened. Did he ask "Who's going to run the family business?" In the end, I'm sure he was glad his sons made the right choice to follow Jesus. I pray the same for all our children.
2. Jesus' healing ministry. He can cast out demons and they are subject to Him. Distance was not an issue for His healing (John 4:50). But I especially love it when He is healing face to face. This verse in particular showed a picture of tenderness on Jesus' part: Mark 1:31 So he went to her bedside, took her by the hand, and helped her sit up. Then the fever left her, and she prepared a meal for them. When Peter's mother-in-law received the touch of her Savior, she got up and served Him. What am I doing to serve the Lord for how He has healed me and cleansed me of my sins?
Hi gigs. Our reading for today gave me a lot to think about. Especially the parts about healing. I believe that people are still being healed today. I believe that Claire can be healed from her seizures. I have faith that I can be given my sight back even though my eye doctors have always said that there is nothing that can be done. I don't need a doctor to do any type of surgery in order to receive any of my sight back because Jesus sits high and he looks low and he knows what we have need of and he knows our desires. Now this doesn't mean that if there is ever a surgery that would give me some of my sight back I wouldn't do it. I would go through surgery in order to get sight back. I don't think my dad really believes in healing. Thank God it's according to my faith.
At my church from time to time our missionary president has a few missionaries do a three to five minute message for one of the missionary services. I've been blessed to do this a few times. I did one on the subject of healing and I'm sharing it below. I have to say that doing today's reading showed me more examples of people being healed than what I used for my examples in my message. I couldn't have used them all.
Date: Sunday January 5, 1997 (Missionary Service)
Scripture: Matthew 4:23-25
Key Verse: Matthew 4:24
Subject: Is There A Doctor In The House?
Jesus was a doctor of the mind, body and soul. He healed many by touching them or just speaking the word.
Mind Healing: Matthew 8:16-17 Many possessed with devils, Matthew 15:21-28 A mother's daughter vexed with a devil, Matthew 17:14-18 A father's son vexed with a devil, Mark 5:1-17 A man with an unclean spirit named Legion
Body Healing: Matthew 9:27-31 Two blind men healed according to their faith, Mark 10:46-52 Blind Bartimeus who was sitting by the highway side begging, Mark 5:25-34 A woman with an issue of blood, Mark 7:31-37 One that was deaf and had a speech impediment, Luke 5:12-14 A man full of leprosy, Luke 5:17-26 A man with a palsy
Soul Healing: Acts 2:1-4 120 believers were filled with the Holy Ghost in the upper room on the day of Pentecost. Ever since that day Jesus has been filling people with the Holy Ghost.
Jesus gave the apostles the gift of healing. Acts 5:12-16 Many healed.
People are still being given the gift of healing today.
I love the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and I have several of their CDs.
When I read that Jesus read Isaiah 61:1from the scroll, I had chills as I do feel that this is my life verse since I memorized it from a Beth Moore study. The little card sits in front of me at my computer. The verse just sums up my life somewhat having been a teacher in a public school and teaching children and youth at church for 30 years.
God has been dealing with me about the early before dawn prayer time. I do get up early to read the Bible for the study, NO!! He gets me up b/c I wouldn't just wake up as early as I have been. I have been wanting to turn that time into prayer time AND then reading His Word time. I did do that the other morning, and my day was the absolute best that I had had in so long. So, yes, I loved His word today, and I thank Him for being our example. Wendy, again, I thank you for your testimony. Thank you for the BTC song; I listen to them ALL of the time---what a time of worship!!!
I will be praying for little Claire. I have prayed that same scripture of being wonderfully and beautifully made for my grandson, Will, who will prayfully be born soon. They are going to have to do a C section as he already weighs 9lbs. 2oz and has 2 weeks to go. I have read that many of you have had C sections, so I ask you to please pray for my daughter, Laura, as she and God bring Will into this world.
Let us join together before the dawn,
Jeanne, NC
Good afternoon GIGs,
Lori, and others, thank you for the prayers for Denise. There were three tumors, and they were able to remove two, but the third is imbedded in her bladder wall and could not be removed. It looks like that is going to be a problem, but we don't know the next step yet. But my tank was so full today from the New Testament scriptures, Wendy's teaching, and my morning prayer time that I have been able to remain calm, trusting, and at peace today. I've definitely been granted the "peace that passes all understanding" (Philippians 4:6)with a little amazing grace mixed in. God is in control. He is the scriptwriter, the director, the producer, the camera man, the set designer, well, you get the "picture".
So many of you said you enjoyed the BTC song Wendy posted that I thought I'd post one of my favorites as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6RHsB5VRvE
Have a blessed evening, all.
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
It's me again. I have a correction. Apparently I misinterpreted my brother-in-law's email. All three tumors WERE removed, but because the third one was imbedded in the wall of the bladder, there is a higher liklihood of that one being a more dangerous kind of cancer. The biopsy results will tell us more in about a week.
"See" you in the morning.
Michelle in New England
Thank you Mary for sharing and sustaining us with this beautiful Psalm!
This study has taught me that beginning each morning with the Word is my spiritual breakfast! It is a reminder of His unfailing love! So much to read, so much to learn, so much to be revealed. Infinite wisdom and truth.
Michelle, sending prayers of healing for Denise. Jeanne, for daughter Laura and Baby Will, (your big boy!) and for peace in God's plan for all.
Blessings,
Jacque
Wendy, thank you for encouraging us to spend that early morning time with our Lord and Savior. I've been working on it for the past few weeks...it's hard, but it makes such a difference. And, I am looking forward to reading those Psalms in the morning!
Joy--hey,friend!! Thank you for the word "usual". Will be pondering over that one in the days to come.
Tina, I am praying for Claire and your entire sweet family. Michelle, I'm lifting up your sister too! All of you Gigs are in my prayers tonight.
Hugs!
susan
Post a Comment
Home