"He existed in the beginning with God."
John 1:2
John 1:2
My Take Aways
Something Old:
Not only is God's love unfailing but so is His faithfulness. This is my inheritance because I am a child of God, through Jesus Christ. I believed and I received...AMEN!
Something New:
John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit before his birth.
The angel said to Mary, "For nothing is impossible with God."
The angel referred to God as the Most High-El Elyon.
The Word (He):
- He existed from the beginning of time-in the beginning.
- God created everything through Him.
- He gave life to everything and this life brought light to everyone. This light (in us) shines in the dark and can never be extinguished.
- He came into the world He created and wasn't recognized.
- He came to His own people and was rejected.
- He gave the right to be called children of God to everyone who believed and received Him.
The plainest reason why the Son of God is called the Word, seems to be, that as our words explain our minds to others, so was the Son of God sent in order to reveal His Father's mind to the world. ~Matthew Henry.
Something to Do:
God was silent for 400 years. He has much to say to me in the New Testament. I need to listen up! Oh how I love the Word and His words.






20 Comments:
Oh Dear Wendy and FIGs,
Happy Birthday! We are in the NT and we are born again "not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God." Hallelujah!
I found myself underlining all the same verses you mentioned Wendy. They revived my soul! And then on to the appearance of Gabriel twice, and the foretelling of the birth of John and of Christ.
“I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God.” Wow! I don’t know if I could stand in the presence of such a being. Like Daniel and Ezekiel I think I would be face into the ground at that point. I am not sure how either Zechariah or Mary could ask anything. I think I would be speechless! But Zechariah asked “How can I be sure this will happen?” … And that was his sin. He questioned the prophesy. Mary asked “How can this happen?” Subtle difference, but one asked in humility and faith and one in disbelief. Two questioners ring familiar. Genesis 17: 17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?" Genesis 18:12 So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" Both result in the same outcome and the same conclusive statement from the Messenger:
Genesis 18:14 “Is anything too hard for the LORD "
Luke1:37 “For nothing is impossible with God.” Or “The Word of God will never fail.”
My new today was Luke 1:17 where John is described. The footnote references Malachi 4:5-6 which we just read yesterday. More evidence that the NT is the fulfillment of the OT. (cont.)
(cont.)
I also did some digging on Luke 1:1-4. My questions were "who are the 'many people' who set out to write the accounts?" and "Who is 'most honorable Theophilus'?" I came upon two interesting points from the commentaries:
Great and remarkable characters have always many biographers. So it appears it was with our Lord: but as most of these accounts were inaccurate, recording as facts things which had not happened; and through ignorance or design mistaking others, especially in the place where St. Luke wrote; it seemed good to the Holy Spirit to inspire this holy man with the most correct knowledge of the whole history of our Lord's birth, preaching, miracles, sufferings, death, resurrection, and ascension, that the sincere, upright followers of God might have a sure foundation, on which they might safely build their faith. (Adam Clark)
and
Luke tells us that he received his material for this book as any reliable historian would, from eyewitnesses.
i. Those who from the beginning are undoubtedly the apostles, who were with Jesus from the very start. But those who from the beginning would also include people such as Mary herself, whom Luke probably "interviewed" in his research for this history of the life of Jesus.
ii. Luke wrote to a first century world that was burnt out on "if it feels good, do it" living; yet it was offended by the crazy superstitions of most religions. The world then, as today, longs for what Christianity offers: faith founded on fact.
d. Most excellent Theophilus: Luke addresses his gospel to a man named Theophilus, but it was also written with a wider audience in mind.
i. By his title (most excellent), we gather that Theophilus was probably a Roman government official. It is entirely likely that the books of Luke and Acts make up Paul's defense brief for his trial before Caesar, since Acts leaves Paul waiting for that trial. (David Guzik)
It is a great day with you all! I hope you are as refreshed as I am!
I am praying for your requests. I also want to join the voices yesterday that said this group is based on love, on the belief that Jesus Christ is our savior, and the desire to learn more from the inspired Word of God. We are not focused on the denominations in each of our backgrounds other than the points of view that those backgrounds bring to our discussions and to our learning.
Love to you all,
Karen, Basel
Wendy, I think I underlined everything you said too, just like Karen, but there was so much richness! It is exciting! It suddenly feels so much more familiar now. Thank you for explaining the "Word" because I was questioning why that was used as His name. What a powerful name the Word becomes in that light-- as the mind of the Father revealed to us through our own language!
I am decorating a Fighting Irish themed groom's cake today for my daughter's brother-in-law who gets married tomorrow. Baked it yesterday. Will be up to my nose in frosting soon :)
This weekend marks a very special day for our family-- on Sunday Michael will have been alcohol-free for 90 days. He's been going to AA meetings daily and has wonderful young friends to learn from and to have fun with. He's so happy in his job (today he gets his first paycheck!), and he is very proud of himself and the progress he's made. We are so grateful to God for the lessons we have learned-- and are still learning-- from this experience, and we are so grateful for all your prayer support dear friends!
Luke 1:37 “For nothing is impossible with God.” AMEN! Praise be to God!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Blessings and prayers for all,
Jacque
PS If anyone has a recent prayer list of our children, I would really appreciate it. Am sure mine needs updating. Thanks!
My computer is not happy these days and I can't watch the video anymore. I'm hoping to get some answers from the company today.
Gabriel told Mary that she had 'found favor with God.' That's just amazing to me. How wonderful must it have been to been told directly that God liked you? Not just loved you enough to stick with you, but really liked you? I sure hope that someday God will find favor with me!
I don't know how either person could think in the presence of Gabriel, either. Seems pretty amazing to me. I think my mind would be totally blank. I love Mary's answer, though - 'I'm the servant. Do what you want with me.' How often do I say that and then go back to trying to control things later? Mary didn't have that option here, even if she wanted it, and I'm so glad she didn't! What an amazing answer from a young girl, though. Her faith must have been very strong.
Am reading comments when I can get on and am excited to be able to have them e-mailed to me today as my e-mail is still working. Hoping to get this fixed soon! Have a great weekend.
Oh GIG! Today's reading was beyond yummy! Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, and to take Him at His WORD!!!!
Today is my daughter's 23rd bday...I took the day off from work to spend it with her and we are going to enjoy each other like crazy! I'm so glad that Jesus came to make days like today possible!
I underlined most of the same as you mentioned Wendy. One that struck me was the fact that John was filled with the Holy Spirit even before his birth. We have to be careful today about putting God in a box and saying "this is the way He does things"...God can do all things...nothing is impossible with Him. If He chooses to give someone the Holy Spirit in the womb then that is what He does! That is freeing to me.
Ya'll have wonderful Fridays. I know I will!
Morgen
Good morning, GIGs,
Here is a New Testament Day goodie for you all, especially the over 50 crowd, ha ha ha!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDOJHNofGo
Love you all!
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Hey GIGS! I am so excited to be in the NT!! Just like you all! I did finish yesterday's reading this morning before I started the NT. It was amazing! So, as I run this morning, I'll be chewing on Joel's prophecies and Gabriel's good news! Hope y'all have a wonderful day.
I'm leaving in a bit for a gIRL retreat in Black Mtn, NC (Girlfriends in Real Life) with Mary Snyder and Melinda Garmen. Looking forward to meeting some bloggy friends in real life!YOu all continue to be in my prayers.
Wendy, thank you for your love and dedication to this study! I am loving it so much! Love you too, my friend!
Hugs!
Susan
Praise the Lord, sweet sister’s today is a brand new day to praise the Lord!
I was drawn to the birth of Jesus being foretold in Luke chapter 1. I could not help but notice the divine appointment God arranged! Placing sweet Mary, - a virgin, “pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David” (26) smack dab in front of the angel, Gabriel. This was a God Moment! This very angel, delivers the most shocking news to her: “You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus” (30) … “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the baby to be born will be holy, and he will be called the Son of God (35)… “For nothing is impossible with God” (37)
The part that got hit me: was Mary’s response: “I am the Lord’s servant. May every thing you have said about me come true” (38). Wow, no questions, no, “if’s”, no “whys” – no unbelieving faith, whatsoever! She did not ask any questions in disbelief, as Zechariah did in verse 20.
That sweet sisters is the faith I want. To believe, to know without a doubt, that we serve an amazing God. Our God Almighty, pours his unfailing love and faithfulness over us morning after morning, time and time again – for eternity. Today, tomorrow, and forever! Thank you, dear Lord!
Jacque, I will post the children sometime within the next couple of days! Busy times here – Homecoming dance & my oldest turning 19 on Sunday! Love you girls’! Now, it's off to walk! Lori
Hey girls’ decided I better get this posted, or … possibly the next few days may get away from me – and certainly, I don’t want to stop anyone from praying over our special bunch! Hugs, Lori
BLOG CHILDREN
Lord, our heart’s desire is that our children know our faith. That our love for Your Word, be passed down to them. May each one of them love you with all of their heart, with all of their soul, with their whole body. Amen.
Michelle says, “For myself, I have decided to do a Mon-Wed-Fri prayer session for the children, - praying "together with my sister {insert mother's name} for a mantle of peace and protection" over each individual, and that "they would walk the path He has designed for them", whether they "know" Him or not!!” -Love your idea!
“I will be faithful to you and make you mine, and you will finally know me as the LORD.” (Hosea 2:20). - (thanks Amy).
Let’s put up the prayer hedge around them. - (Thanks Brandee).
Psalm 119:33-40
Teach our children your decrees, O Lord; They will keep them to the end. Give them understanding and they will obey your instructions. Give them a desire to put them into practice with all their hearts. Make them walk along the path of your commands, for that is where their happiness is found.. Give them an eagerness for Your laws rather than a love for money! Turn their eyes from worthless things and give them life through Your word. Reassure them of your promise, made to those who fear You. Help them abandon shameful ways; for your regulations are good. Give them a desire to obey Your commands! Renew their lives with Your goodness. (thank you, Amy!)
Jason & Stephanie (born 8-11-10) - Kailyn Lona Smith
Cheri – Alex/girlfriend, Megan & Brandon/girlfriend Heather
Karen -- my adult children are Samantha and Maija (my-ya)and I have been modeling a suggestion on this blog (sorry, I forget whose it was) to pray for one positive step in their lives daily; just one step on the right road, just one God thought or decision that reflect his will... I am sure "the most powerful person in the universe" can take it from there... :)
Wendy, you closed with one of my favorite memory verses; Zephaniah 3:17. I prayed it last night without knowing (I guess I didn't pay attention yesterday) that we would read it today. I was in the habit of praying this verse daily for my daughter, who is not walking so closely with God right now and who gives her Mama much stress and concern... :) After hearing the other versions (I memorized the NIV), I think I should start praying this daily again, but in different versions to stress different aspects of the verse.
(karen) to be cont.
Michelle -- Lauren (new marriage) & Chuck
Amy --Andi (fall, Kdg.) & younger bro Luke
Grace & Peace -- Carlo 9/13th college(to attend church while at college) & Paulo
Susan -- Austin & Jacob
Rhonda -- Dillon & Brady (into sports)
Brandee -- Will
Teeny -- Sarah, Susan, Seth,(the one who is spoiling her in VA) Steven/ families - 12 grandchildren / three greatgrands
Kate -- Ginnie, 7 Ellie, 4
Lori -- Colton (18) for his major to be clear & Connor (16) to grow intimate with his Father while playing basketball
Susie -- Ryan, Kate (26) Eric (25) Kelly (17)
Jacque -- Mary is 34, nurse practitioner and instructor, husb Andy, kids are Maddie 9, twins Ben and Jack 3 1/2, and Will 2
Laura is 31, ESL teacher, husb TJ, kids are Gabriel 4 and Emilia 2
Andrew is 29, anesthesiology resident, engaged
Stephen is 27, in radio and music
Michael is 24, finding his way.
Franny -- Dylan
Gaylene -- two adult children
daughter -Sarah, husband Keith, and four of the best children, Caleb, Zavier, Katerina, and Caralena
Son- David.
Mary -- Claudine 38
Vinny 27 soon to be his bride Candace 24
Meghan 25
Jodie – Elliot
to be cont.
Jodi in New England, 2 boy’s, 5yers./2.5 years (Luke & Charlie)
Loice --
Mwangi-23 years-not yet settled in what he wants to do in life
Wangari-year 11 and searching for the Lord
Wangui-Year 7 and struggling with settling in her high school.
Wendy -- Griffin & Blaire
Missy TX --
Jeremy is 18 and just graduated from school. Last year at camp he dedicated his life to the ministry at summer camp and has stood firm on his decision. He's not sure how he's going to use it but he's walking with God.
Rusty is 16 and it has been a rough year. Things are good now, but we take it day by day. He is walking right along with his brother.
Anne in VA -- David and Lindsay... and my great-niece Abigail.
Diana – TX – Nick, 21 -at school, financial struggles
Jennifer – Iowa – Ethan (11) & Avery (9) & Addison (4)
Kelly – Chante (22)
Michelle – in VA
Tres 25 and Emily 24 (son and DIL)
Jessica - 23 Jessica leaves for Ghana, to teach 5th graders 8-31- Tues.
http://jessicasjourneys-on-beautifulfeet.blogspot.coma
Ryan 22
Jonathan 13
Evan 2
Drew 1
Morgen --Kelsie, she is recently engaged and has all the wedding plans ahead.
Preston - to really begin to focus in college and find a passion for a career choice.
Tanner (14) and entering that fun teen time of temptations of alcohol, sex, etc....I ask for prayers for each of my kids to have hearts that truly love God.
to be cont.
Mary from SW Ohio
Christopher, 36, who is gay and claims to be an atheist. He says Christians are hypocrites because of the way they treat gays, so he wants nothing to do with them.
Eric, 32, who is a Christian and goes to church with me. He is currently unemployed and lives with us. He and his girlfriend, Trista, would like to make plans to get married, but with the employment situation, they can't right now.
Lyn in Texas
son Layne and wife Jen and 11 year old Dylan
son Lee and wife Rachel and Brady (7), Brock (6), and Bo (4)
Cindy in PA
Jeff –just received his first teaching position
Jessa -3rd year –in college, praying that this will be her year to shine, academically
Lizzy - Johnny
The End.
Good morning, GIGs!
Here's the background and overview of Luke from Chuck Missler fr Khouse:
"For many, the Gospel according to "the Beloved Physician" is the most readable and complete account of the life of Christ. It gives us many features omitted by Matthew and Mark: 20 miracles, of which six are in no other Gospel; and 23 parables, 18 of which we find nowhere else.
There are no "accidents" in Scripture: Luke was chosen by the Holy Spirit. He and Paul were on a very high intellectual level. He wrote the best Greek of any of the New Testament writers. His writings are regarded as some of the finest pieces of historical writing in all of ancient literature.
Sir William Ramsay, a skeptical archaeologist, went into Asia Minor specifically to disprove Luke as an historian. After careful investigation he concluded that Luke had not made one historical inaccuracy. As a result, Sir William Ramsay became a believer. Luke was also a poet; he alone records the lovely songs of Christmas and some of the marvelous parables.
...
As a doctor, Luke uses more medical terms than are recorded in the writings of Hypocrates, the "Father of Medicine." It is interesting that he alone records the details of the births of John the Baptist and Jesus. [It is significant that John the Baptist began his ministry when he was about nine inches long and weighed a pound and a half: he was Spirit-filled and jumped for joy while still in Elisabeth's womb! (Luke 1:41-44).]
The Virgin Birth
The blood curse that was pronounced by God on Jeconiah was reviewed in our article "Why a Virgin Birth?". The ostensible paradox of this curse on the royal line of David is unraveled through a careful study of the genealogy in Luke. By presenting the descent through Nathan, the second surviving son of Bathsheba, rather than Solomon, the first surviving son of Bathsheba, we trace the genealogy of Mary - Joseph being the son-in-law (nomizo , "reckoned as by law") of Heli.
Ministry Mandate
It is Luke that records Jesus announcing His public ministry in the synagogue at Nazareth, by reading His mandate from Isaiah:
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord. - Isaiah 61:1, 2 as quoted in Luke 4:18, 19
And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this Scripture fulfilled in your ears. - Luke 4:20-21
What makes this particularly provocative is the portion that Jesus didn't read. If you compare what was read with the passage in Isaiah it was taken from, you find that Jesus stopped at a comma; otherwise, it would have continued:
"...and the day of vengeance of our God." - Isaiah 61:2
This, of course, is deferred until His Second Coming.
It is Luke that links the Triumphal Entry to the prophecy that the Angel Gabriel gave Daniel five centuries earlier. (We are indebted to Sir Robert Anderson's classic work, which identified the precise day that was predicted by Gabriel's specifics.)
It is Luke that describes the seven-mile Bible study on the Emmaus road on that resurrection afternoon. And, of course, Luke's Gospel becomes the natural bridge between the Gospels and the Book of Acts and the ministry of Paul.
It is easy to understand why so many regard this Gospel as their favorite. Have you studied it recently?
Good hunting!"
Oh happy day!
Thank you for your vlog today Wendy. You had so many great thoughts. I've been keeping up with the readings and am currently in Calabash, NC on vacation with my wonderful husband. While he's out practicing his golf, I'm in the wonderful air conditioning! Ha!
Yesterday we walked down Sunset Beach and visited the Kindred Spirit (mailbox) that your P31 co-worker Marybeth Whalen based her book "The Mailbox" on. Quite a walk yet well worth being surrounded by God's beauty in nature.
I wrote in my journal about John 1:1-18. This scripture spoke to me today. I made a note to myself to read it out loud and slowly and be blessed.
Happy Friday everyone!
Lori,
Thank you! I love you! G&P, your post was terrific!
Thank you both!
K.
FIGs,
Can you please, please pray for us this weekend, please? The renters who rented from us months ago are back in the picture and threatening several lawsuits, one of which has the potential to get my husband in very serious trouble at work. He's very upset and this is very scary.
Thank you so much!
PS - Lori, thanks for the updated kids' list. Is anyone else still fasting/praying on Wednesdays for our spouses??
Amy,
I SAP'd for you and your huband. This verse came to mind:
Isaiah 54:17 (New King James Version) No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the LORD.
Hello GiG's
I am catching up tocya in the reading and the blogs.
I am thrilled to be in the NT now. Thank you Wendy for your vlogs and all you ladies for the encouraging blogs that helped me better understand God's word and make it through this far!!
I would like to add my daughters to the prayer list
Andrea 7y/o may God heal her eyesight , she uses glasses and her path as a student and child of GOd
Cailyn my 4 y/po for healing from food allergies and for her path as a student and child of God.
Thank you ladies,
Have a blessed weekend!
Paola from Long Island, NY
Wendy, so thankful you mentioned on FB that you were starting the New Testament. How I needed to be reminded of God's unfailing love and His unfailing faithfulness. Thank you.
My heart was drawn to two questions here today: Zechariah's question in Luke 1:18, "How can I be sure this will happen?"; and Mary's question in Luke 1:34, "But how can this happen?" Ahhh...the 'how's'. So often we need to know the specifics before we can trust, but that eliminates faith. We need to remember too, that asking 'how' isn't doubting that God will, but we have to trust the Lord even if we don't see His step by step plan. As Luke 1:37 reminds us, "nothing is impossible with God."
Interesting to me that the difference in the spelling that stands in the way of impossible and possible are two little letters. I M. I'm. I am the one who often doesn't believe. I am the one who often doesn't trust. I am the one who sees nothing but difficulties ahead. I am the one doubting the possible.
"Limitations are raw material for great expectations from God." (Pastor Rick Baker)
So good to be back in His Word,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home