How have I loved You?
"Really? How have you loved us?"
Malachi 1:2



My Take Aways

Something Old:
Whenever I start to question God's love for me, I need to turn the question around to ask myself, "How have I loved you Lord?" I should start by examining my heart, motives, and actions toward Him and what He has asked of me.

Something New:
Nehemiah's unselfish actions. Helping his people asking only God to remember what He had done, not others for payment.

It is OK to ask God to remember my faithfulness, knowing His reward will be so much better than anything man could offer

Something to Do:
Examine my heart through the lens of the Holy Spirit asking if I am doing all that God has asked me to do in the manner in which He has required.


11 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I couldn't get the whole video to play yet ... having computer issues ... but this is what struck me today:

The choir had a special place to be in the place where the people worshipped. They processed in, publicly and visibly, and then went to the place set aside for them. I've always pictured a smelly, smoky, noisy place where animals are being killed, offerings given, transactions happening, and an old guy in a robe reading from a scroll. Never thought about them having an order to their worship or a place for different people. I like that.

I'm sad that the Israelites did it again. It seems as if Nehemiah, who was working so hard to get things back on track, was barely gone when they stopped following the rules and messed up again. God sure is patient with us!

Praise! One of the kids - who frequently misbehaves - in my daughter's K class told her to do something wrong last week, and she didn't hesitate - she told him 'no' and that she wasn't doing it. I'm sure it wasn't as difficult as if it were a friend suggesting the wrong thing, but I'm so happy that she stood up for what she knows to be right! This has been one of my greatest school fears and I'm glad to know she's starting strong.

Posting before my computer crashes again! Happy Wednesday!

Blogger Michelle said...

Amy, when I pray for the kids, I specifically pray that Andi be an influence for good in her Kclass. Thanks for sharing that praise. You're doing good, Sister!!!!

Speaking of school, I have been in "the pit" for two days at school - the same issue (students) as last year. I follow these kids from year to year in my role as a Special Education Teaching Assistant. Anyway, I was AGAIN reduced to tears yesterday (in private), and I really wasn't feeling that the Holy Spirit was with me this past 36 hours. I did a lot of praying!! This morning, the Holy Spirit seemingly came back to me with a whoosh, bringing me insight that my pain is really serving a purpose. I know with certainty that God is working through my pain to make it apparent to the higher ups that one of these children in particular needs a different educational placement. I need to keep on keeping on, let the tears come if they must, and TRUST that He is working out his plan for a better future for all involved - this student, his parents, our staff and the other grade two students.

My nugget from today's reading was the whole first section describing the choirs and musicians in the "joyous occasion with their songs of thanksgiving..." That was a very beautiful image! I also loved what you cited, Wendy, about Nehemiah only needing God to see and remember his good deeds. I often sort of console myself with the thought, that even though I get no recognition for many of my good deeds, I KNOW God sees and is smiling. And that, my dear sisters, needs to be enough!

Have a blessed, 4:8 day all! And special prayers for you, sweet Wendy!!!!!!!!!

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Anonymous Lori said...

Welcome Back Wendy ~ I chuckled when you said that wearing warmer clothes hopefully, would bring fall into the picture! We are having record-breaking high’s here for this time of the year. But, as long as it stays under 115, it’s ok. Smile!

Welcome back Karen!!!

Amy – your little Andi takes the cake! I can almost see her eyes as she speaks to that little boy, ‘no.’ So cute! And, certainly, yes - may her influence, affect all those around her!

Girlfriends, I’ll have to agree, it’s much easier to encourage those around us, than it is to keep our own selves ‘out of the pit.’ The devil is nothing to be taken for granted. His strong force whooshes (Michelle, just like the Holy Spirit swooshing, smile) - down on us just at the right time and the right place, and the only way we can combat the devil is to constantly lift up our praises and thanks to our Father. I am finding more and more that, that is the easiest way to keep him at a distance. I was reminded in the book I’m reading, - 1 Thessalonians 5:18, “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (NKJV).

One of my sweet and dear girlfriends yesterday was sharing some of her homework with me regarding a class she is taking. Her notes reminded us that the Lord is Sovereign. In all of our daily activities-everything that we go through it is for a reason. God is working in us, transforming us to be more like Him. If our life was easy and pleasant, we would have no reason to cling to him! He wants us coming to Him, and having the pleasure to know him. He wants our praises-no matter what. He wants us to praise him for everything. Girls’ – I’m used to praising Him for the good stuff, but, really NOT for the hard things I’m going through. But, when I take this approach, to actually thank him that (for a time as now,) that Dave is not saved, but that through this situation, God IS transforming me and allowing me to get closer to Him, I’m telling ya, it just puts my heart in a much better place. I’m finding the more I praise him all day long –about each and every situation that I am in, I remain in his presence. I know that is where he desires me to be: abiding in him. As we praise him, the enemy is out of the picture, totally.

Today, when I read, “David, the man of God” (Nehemiah 12:36) I thought to myself, when I’m no longer around, oh, that my descendants would say that about me: “Lori the lady of God!”

Today, dear friends, it is another day to praise the Lord!

Hugs, Lori

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's reading made me see just how quickly we all get complacent. The Isrealites worked hard to honor God, rebuilding the wall, singing praises, doing the work, etc....and then how quickly they quit...going back to old ways, finding new idols to worship, not obeying God at all.
Guilty as charged? You bet. Help us Lord to seek You daily. To desire to know You more. To not fall back into old ways; into our sinful selves, but to always want to serve You.

Morgen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If friends want to join in reading and studying with us beginning with the New Testament on Friday. Should they buy the Chronological Bible now or will they need to buy the new one in January? Or can they use this years for next year? How different are they? Thanks for any info
Nancy in Austin, TX

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Nehemiah 5:15b ...But because I feared God, I did not act that way.

This is a good statement to carry around all the time.

Nehemiah did not mess around. He was upright. He did what he was supposed to do. He did not pay attention to his detractors but kept working until the work was finished. He was also not afraid to speak up and point out a wrongdoing. Any other person would probably not get away with this but Nehemiah has built up a reputation as a godly man. He was not even afraid to pull some people up by their hair - literally. I am reminded of what Beth Moore said in week 2 of Living Beyond Yourself: to be so consumed with the Holy Spirit that passion for God would come out of you. That's what Nehemiah had, a passion for God. My prayer is that all of us will have what he had.

Amy, go Miss Andy! That's the way to put those misbehavin' kids in place. Be a little Nehemiah but don't start pulling hair now.

Michelle, I feel your frustration with the system and compassion for these children. May God continue to strengthen you as you fight for these kids. You may be the only one doing it for them.

Lori, you're right on, again! Thank you for sharing your insights with us daily. It's like getting an extra dose of the Holy Spirit.
Did Karen post? I did not see one today. Is Blogger acting up again? I know one time last week I posted but did not see my post appear at all but someone referenced it. Weird.) Anyway, welcome back, Karen!

Morgen, you nailed it again, sister. Short and sweet.

Nancy in TX, welcome to your new friends who will be joining us! Whoo hoo! (I think it's safe to say that they can get the same NLT Chron bible. I have only participated this year but I think they used the same one last year.)

Have a blessed day, everyone.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I finished the reading last night I told my husband I am just going to have to comment about those musicians! They have been referenced over and over, along with the priests and gatekeepers, etc. for a few days now.

The latest readings kept reminding me of our 27 year old son. Whenever we have a family dinner, such as Thanksgiving, everyone has always had a specific job to do. All these years now, he seems to just slip away and start playing the piano and singing while the rest of us are preparing for the meal. Everyone just thinks he is trying to get out of work! Finally I called him on it last year and asked him, "Why don't you think you should be contributing?" And he answered, "Don't you know? I am contributing to the ambiance with my music!"

Wow. I never thought of his music being part of our preparations, but look at how God set the singers and musicians in such an important role. They lived in the Temple, they didn't have to perform any other duties at all, and people had to supply their food!

Now, my son's "duty" for our special meals is always to make the jello-- we've never asked much, since he is a creative grasshopper and not an ant! But I'm definitely not going to tell him about this Temple arrangement, because he might take it to heart and the little ones might really miss their holiday jello!

From now on, though, I will see his gift of music in a new light, and I will thank him, honoring it as a unique family contribution, and encouraging his sibs to appreciate it too-- actually, other people hire him to do the very same thing! We each have our special gifts to share.

One thing from today that made me think, was the fact that the people were offering sacrifices to God that were not perfect. They were blemished or second rate. I had to ask myself, am I giving my first fruits always? Am I doing my "best" for God, not not just settling for "good enough?" No, I know I can do better. I am glad I didn't sign my name to the curse clause... yikes.

Blessings,
Jacque

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friends,

Nothing special to report today...just wanted to say hi.

Michelle from NE - I was a supply teacher before staying home with Elliot. I have worked with many special needs students and it was always such a blessing to have caring and committed special education teachers...they are some of the hardest working people I know. We had similar problems with a student who needed far more help then we could provide at our school. I was often called in to supply when the teachers were away because of his special needs. There was a whole separate binder for his care and a sticker on the phone to the office so the students in the class could call in an emergency!

Lord - I just ask you to touch Michelle with your refreshing waters. Give her an extra measure of patience and Your comfort. Help her to see she is not alone and that You are in control of this situation. You love this student as Your child and we know You are working on his/her behalf - to bring about a good work in their life. Thank you for the gift of Michelle as she works on behalf of this child for Your glory and honour. She is a treasure!

Wishing you all a great day,

Jodie from Ottawa

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Hi Nancy
We use the same Bible every year. The One Year Chronological Bible-NLT.
Glad you are joining us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the OT is coming to a close, and seems to be bringing joy to the post-exile period, however long it many last.

For Rhonda:
I was a Catholic the first 26 years of my life (I am now 53). I have attended many churches since then: Wesleyan, Free Methodist, Calvary Chapel, Baptist, non-denominational.... probably the non-denom. Bible churches are my favorite; next Baptist.
I have many friends/relatives that are Catholic.

What became clear to me, over time, regarding Catholicism:

1. focus on works, alot of ritual
2. idolatry (patron saints, Mary worship)
3. The priest is the intercessor in place of Jesus, i.e. regular confession - do they still have that?
4. I really wanted to find a place of worship that was preaching the Bible only and not some other Doctrine.

I was probably in my 40's before I could fully grasp this. I had to really get out of "religion" and into the Bible. Until I left the Catholic church and started attending other denominations did I realize the differences.
I had to let go of the guilt that it is OK to attend elsewhere.

It is OK to be Catholic. It just reached a point where it was not OK for me. (My husband grew up Methodist) I am not sure of your circumstances or what is available where you live, but trying other churches sometimes can shed some light on where you want to be, or where you want to stay.The main issue is that a church is preaching the Bible and not distorting it in any way.


I did not listen to Wendy yet today. Sometimes I have to wait until after 10 pm, when all are in bed and it is quiet. I am excited to start the NT.

Rhonda in NY State

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back:

As usual, after I posted I went back and reread Rhonda's post, slowly, and realized you weren't actually asking advice, but sharing excitement! I will check out the websites you mentioned, perhaps to better understand loved ones who are Catholic.

Rhonda in New York State

Post a Comment

Home