Delayed Does not Mean Denied
"But for twenty-one days the spirit prince from Persia blocked my way."
Daniel 10:13



My Take Aways

Something Old:
I wonder what Daniel was praying 21 days prior to this day that was so threatening to the Kingdom of God.

Something New:
Michael was not Daniel's prince. He was the prince for God's chosen people.

Our friend Daniel has taught us much about prayer this week.
  • Commit to a usual time and place for prayer (Daniel 6:10)
  • Don't let anything stop your usual prayer time (Daniel 6:12)
  • The action of our prayer is God's. We pray. He works. (Daniel 9:19)
  • When we pray, we should humble ourselves before the Lord in posture, heart, and mind. (Daniel 6:10; 10:12)
  • Our prayers are heard immediately
    (Daniel 10:12)
  • There are princes in the heavenlies battling over the answer to our prayers.
    (Daniel 10:13)
Something to Do:
Dare to Pray like Daniel-30 Day Prayer Challenge
  1. Apply the lessons we learned from Daniel's prayers (above) to our "O Lord" prayer for September 7th's post, Action Packed Prayers.
  2. Expect God to doing amazing things among us.
  3. Publicly celebrate His work


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy: I'm on for the prayer challenge! Let's do this thing GIG!

From today's reading I noted 3 factoids:
Daniel was 85 years old and still praying fervently. I just heard Dr Dobson state that no where in the Bible does it speak of retirement. He said that as long as God allows, he will be serving Him. Daniel models this.

Daniel fasted wearing sackcloth. This usually was a garment made with camel hair; with the hair side facing inward...rubbing on your skin! eeewww! This made the pray-er aware and mindful...I know it would keep me aware too!

Persia is modern day Iran. Apparently Iran has a powerful demon as their prince if it took the Angel Michael to intercede for Daniel.

Ya'll have wonderful Fridays!
Morgen

Anonymous Lori said...

Wendy,
I’m very encouraged about your challenge. Personally, for me, I’m learning more and more, that it is through my prayer time, - that my relationship is growing more intimate over the days. It’s during this time that I’m focusing on Him, by separating myself from the “noise and distractions” that I am able to hear His whispers. It also is what keeps me abiding in Him and surrounded by His peace.

Something that goes right along with this challenge from you, - is my new challenge from Beth Moore. Yesterday, I began her latest Study with a group of women. Wow, she was full of the Spirit, and kept me on the edge of my seat, trying to “take it all in.” She, too has left us with a challenge during our 10 week time together, through the Study of Revelation: To wake up every single day, and ask Jesus to touch me with His heart. Daily, to reveal Himself to me - a fresh disclosure of Jesus Christ. As, He breaks open our understanding, He reveals Himself to us throughout out day. Lord, reveal Yourself to me today. I’m so eager to do both of these challenges together because they go hand-in-hand. Our prayer time is our intimate conversation with our Father. Jesus allows this to happen.

She left us by saying we want to experience heart-attacks with God! I l o v e d that! As He attacks us, and reveals himself to us throughout our day! If we quiet ourselves and spend time with Him, we WILL hear Him. Daily, we can expect that!

Yesterday, was an exciting day – not only did I begin my new Bible Study, but, I went to my first knitting class! And, let me tell you I have not laughed soooooooo much, in a very long time! I went with my prayer partner, and let me just say it was a hoot and a holler! So, so fun! I’m hoping to get this knitting down, so I can knit and pray at the same time! I do a good job walking and praying, but boy I tend to get distracted at home. I’m thinking if I’m knitting, this may keep my mind on the Lord. Is it possible for Him to get the glory through knitting? I believe so! Smile -And, to think about worshiping Him while enjoying a hobby! This excited me!

Ladies, we are so precious to the Lord! As He told Daniel, I heard Him speaking to me:
“Don’t be afraid, [Lori] (Daniel 10:12) “for you are very precious to God. Peace! Be encouraged! Be strong! (19).

Have a blessed Friday, everyone! Lori

Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning, GIGs,

Wendy, I'm in on the challenge!

I have a prayer request for today. I took a day off from school to be with my invalid sister, Denise, while her husband and caretaker, Jim, has outpatient surgery on a growth that probably is cancerous. I would covet prayers that the surgeons hand be guided by our Lord to extract every fiber and root of the cancer today, leading to Jim's total healing. Thank you.

My nugget today ties in with Wendy's point about the "when" of answers to our prayers. I underlined the phrase "at the appointed time" in Daniel 11 verses 27, 29 and 35, and there may have been some I missed. This is also a phrase my spiritual mentor uses all the time - that even the smallest details only happen "at the appointed time."
We need to wait trustfully and patiently.

Have a blessed, 4:8 day, all.

Michelle in New England

Blogger Tina said...

Claire heard me listening this morning and said "Hey Everybody",pretty cute! Thank you all for the comments yesterday. Your words touch my heart more than you will ever know!

Lori,God reveals himself to me in so many ways through out my day with Claire. Yesterday I was overwhelmed with seeing Him in her life!

I was so inspired by seeing Claire wheel her wheelchair into the front doors of that school. To see her so fearless,gave me a whole new love for her and my amazing God!

I have always struggled with my prayer life,because I never know what the best prayer for Claire should be. So, I just cling to the fact that God knows the best for her. I just usually praise God for everything. So, I am very excited to take this challenge and see where God leads.

Thank you Wendy for serving so well!

Michelle~lifting you and your sister up to the Most High God

Blogger Tina said...

Michelle~Praying for Jim too :)

Blogger Karen said...

Michelle, praying for Jim.

Lori, absolutely God can ge the glory through knitting! In fact, here is a website for prayer shawl patterns either knitted or crocheted

http://www.pineislandpresbyterian.org/patterns.htm

Praying as you knit, the theory goes, knits the prayers into the shawl. I pray as I quilt... same thing.

Have a good week you all, I will be traveling next week. I will keep up on reading, but likely not on posting.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Karen, Basel

Blogger Linda said...

I’m in for this challenge. I pray every day, but am not consistent on the time or place. I think I need to make it the first thing I do in the morning, before distractions start. I have a prayer list written down, so that I do not forget anything. Some requests are ongoing and I will keep praying for them.
I just finished Joni Eareckson Tada’s book “Joni”. She talks a great deal on seeing Jesus in the actions of those that come in to our lives. Just when we think that God is not hearing us, He sends someone to touch our lives. It might be a phone call or just a chance meeting of an old friend. I know, because it has been happening to me lately. Just this week, I had an old friend came back in to my life after several years of not seeing her. She showed up at my home with a meal after hearing of my surgery. It is amazing to watch how God works! I am keeping a separate page in my journal to remember all the little things that God is doing. Then, when I need strength, I will go to that page and remember His presence.
Linda

Blogger Wander said...

I LOVE DANIEL!!!

Really. And I love teaching from that book! Awesome!

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Wendy,
My prayer life could use some structure. I am boldly taking this challenge and looking forward to what God is going to do.

Michelle,
Praying for Jim today.

Lori,
It sounds like such a fun day for you in your knitting class. (Must.resist.another.hobby.) Please continue to share what you learn in Beth Moore's study. She is such a blessing. Oh and keep those notes for when we get to Revelation. :)

Linda,
Praise God for continuing to make Himself known to you through people.

In today's reading, what I caught my attention was the same as yours, Michelle: "at the appointed time." God is working with me on my patience, well, impatience is the more appropriate term. I have a tendency to run ahead of God when when I think He is not acting fast enough. (Story of my life.)

Good stuff today, GIGs.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in on the Challenge. Many years ago the Lord gave me a word about having "the place" and "the time" to meet with Him. I need to recover that word and hope to share it with you all.
I find that when I write my prayers that they are the ones that are from deep with8in my heart. Not hurried ones. It's in those times that I have been given thoughts from on High. I go back to these prayers and writings each day and reread them and they are as pertinent today as they were years ago. I admit and repent that I have not been having that special "place and time" recently, but with this challenge, I accept to return to my "place and time".
Tina, what an examle Claire is to me!
Michelle, NE, praying for Jim, Denise, and you. I also underlined the same "appointed time" verses.
Karen, will miss you. Safe traveling.
Morgen, had no idea that Daniel was 85 yrs. Thanks.
Linda, thinking of you and praying.
Wendy, thank you for each word as they minister to just what I need. And, I needed it today.
Staying in VA until Monday. Adjusting medications due to BP and heart rate. This new pacemaker must be doing its work. Thank you, Lord.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Happy Birthday Blaire!
Love ya'll,
Teeny

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

Hi gigs.

Today I really enjoyed reading Daniel 12.

12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. (KJV)
This verse made me think about the day of rapture when Jesus comes back for us. Unfortunately not everyone will be going to heaven. Some will stand at the white throne of judgment and be told, "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity". (Matthew 7:23 KJV)

Another verse in Daniel that caught my attention was:
12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

I thought about the book of life mentioned in Revelation 20.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

As we start these 30 days of prayer I have a request. On Wednesday I had to go to a dental specialist. My dentist didn't know what to do about one of my teeth that is missing a filling. The specialist said I need a root canal. I called my dentist and found out the root canal will be around $350 but to have everything done which includes the crown it will be over $1400. It will take me at least three months to save this money so that after I pay the dentist I'm not totally wiped out financially. I'm on supplemental income that I get from social security because I'm blind and I thank God that I only have two bills and tithes to pay each month. I do have a checking account in my dad's name but I don't want to touch it if I don't have to because I plan on using it when I move. I may have to use some of it if I need anything like food. Right now if I depend on my income from social security I can't even afford to buy food while I save money for the dentist. After the root canal I have another tooth that needs work because I was told it's infected.

Blogger Michelle said...

Jen Ren, Praying that your needs will be provided for. Perhaps you could go to a dental school and get the work done for less? But, if that is not a possibility, think about if you really need that tooth. I have had a couple of teeth pulled and don't miss them at all.

Thank you, GIGs, for the prayers for Jim and Denise. Praise the Lord the growth was not cancerous. But, sadly, Denise got word yesterday that she has a tumor on her bladder. It will be removed on Sept. 21, so we won't know if it is cancerous until after that. I am claiming that she will be free of cancer, Lord, and that through your mercy and grace, you will keep her mind and emotions at peace while she waits. I pray this in Jesus' name, Amen.

Have a blessed evening, all. You are all in my prayers!

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Blogger Amy said...

I feel so out of the loop! I haven't been able to watch Wendy's video yet today - it won't stream right now - but I'll keep trying. prayer is something that I need to learn a lot more about, and this prayer challenge sounds interesting.

Teeny, I've had a prayer journal going almost all the time since I became a christian 20 years ago, and while I rarely go back and read old ones, it so helps me concentrate and think through what I'm talking to God about. I've been very bad about praying in it lately though. Gotta do some work on this schedule!

Jennifer, today's reading totally put me in mind of the Rapture. Thanks for looking up all of those verses from Revelations! I can't wait 'til we get to that book this year. I read it last year but there's so much I want to know!

Michelle, adding Denise to my prayer list. I'm glad that Jim's growth was not cancerous.

Grace and Peace, I've never heard of the kind of church service you were talking about lately, but it sounds very interesting. I wish I knew of a church near me that did some of those things. I would love to experience it and learn more about these customs.

Karen, I hope that you have safe travels next week!

Jacque, it's good to have you back!

Teeny, I hope that you make it safely home, as well. Wish there was some way to have regional 'wendy-gatherings.' It seems as if there are several of us in this general sort of area!

I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend! The weather is gorgeous here right now so I'm taking Luke's big-boy bed outside tomorrow to polyurethane (SP?). I'm finally almost done refinishing it! Looking forward to a weekend outside. :-)

PS - Lori, my friend and I walk at 5:30 in the mornings. She's away next week, so maybe I can make that a prayer time. It's very dark then and the stars shine bright here, and this morning it was in the upper 50s.

Anonymous mary said...

Good Evening All,
Praying for all.
Wendy I will be doing the prayer challenge.
Blessings & Peace
Mary

Post a Comment

Home