Home Sweet Home
"Here is the list of the Jewish exiles of the provinces who returned from the captivity." Ezra 9:1



My Take Aways


Something Old:

No matter how bad the the "original site" may appear to be God can rebuild.

Something New:
I love the the way everyone was unified in purpose. They volunteered their time and talent for the greater good. Oh how I wish we, the church, our country would follow their example.
I can count on
  • God to rebuild just where I am-I don't have to get everything together before I go to the Lord
  • Being overwhelmed with enthusiasm and excitement at what God does
  • The enemy to oppose the progress
Something to Do:
Work with God, not against Him as He works in and through my life.

P.S.
As I am completing my post I feel the Spirit impressing on my heart that perhaps there are some who do not have freedom stories to share, who desperately want to "return home" but have not.

I want to quote from today's reading:
"He is good! His faithful love for Israel [for you] endures forever." Emphasis mine

Rest in truth, power, and hope of these words. You are wholly and dearly loved by the One and Only. His plans are to give you a hope and future not to harm you. If you need to return to Him in repentance do so today, if you heart is clean before Him, wait on a magnificent rescue. It is coming!
.


18 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

The verse that stood out the most to me today was the one where the men started rebuilt the altar even though the Temple wasn't started and they weren't sure what others would think because they just HAD to worship. Isn't that how we (me) should be? It shouldn't matter what other people think or how things look or if things are perfect or ideal or even good; we should want to worship always, despite our circumstances, what's around us, other opinions. I want my desire for God to be that strong so as to push everything else out of the way!

Grace and Peace, thanks for the research yesterday about the visions. I'm printing that for my journal and to share with my Bible study friends. We were all a bit confused about that.

Jodie, happy to hear that the birthday party went well. They're such fun!

Dixie, I'm glad you're able to get the meds you need. I love when God works out prices for us!

Lori, it was a bit chilly walking this morning, and very dark, too. Made me wonder what it's like when you go way out West?

Blogger Karen said...

Dear Wendy,

Coming home from captivity and sharing our experiences to help others; that is so rich a place to be. When we are in the midst of our captivity, and our vision is limited to our immediate condition, it is so hard to see the long-term strategy or plan. "Why is this happening" is so often our cry. Living with the scars is so often hard. It is so easy to fall into the pit of self-pity, and much harder to look at our neighbor and see how our experiences can help them.

It has taken me almost thirty years of adult hood to finally see that God wants our brokenness to be beautiful for His kingdom. If I know the shoes someone else is walking in, I can walk along side them and help to hold them up. I can share my pain, my hurt, my tears. I can say "I know what you are going through." I can be a conduit for meeting their needs, for giving love, forgiveness, understanding. I can ease their burden. I can pray effectively for them. And hopefully I can show them God glorified in their situation.

Life is very often hard. Each person’s path is their own, but no-one has to walk it alone. God sends his children out to others often in a "matched pair" way. A friend of mine, a breast cancer survivor who will have long tem nerve pain because of a surgical mishap, asked me how her pain could ever be used to help someone else. My answer at the time was not very good, but upon reflection I would say to her now "You can relate. Your pain does not define you. Your life is so much more than that. You can teach others how to move beyond constant chronic pain and see the beauty in life. It is a gift." Also my friend learned to give her pain to God. Each day she prays that her pain will be manageable. Each day she sees the glory in the smile of her (now grown) children, in the love of her husband, in the beauty of a new day.

My captivity is not the same as my friend's, but through it I have also learned to be empathetic to others who are struggling in similar ways. I have learned to see beyond the situation and I am learning to see into the hearts of my neighbors; to meet with them in their need; to lend an ear and to pray.

We are the body of Christ. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 12:26 - If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. So we should act as one body; relieving suffering, dispensing help and forgiveness, and rejoicing in the successes and victories of others.

Have a great day everyone!

Karen, Basel

Anonymous Lori said...

Happy Day, Ya’ll!

I loved reading today about the exiles coming back home to Judah – with a “unified purpose”! They sacrificed morning and evening. They gave as much as they could. My heart was warmed to read about what they first did. First things first: {loved that!} - they made sacrifices to their LORD. Made me think about how we can give sacrifices each day: praising Him, thanking Him, serving with our God-given talents, &, tithing.

Then, they remained busy and focused till the foundation was complete! (I’m sure their heart was set on the next step: the building of the Temple!) What did the joyful people say to the LORD? “He is so good! His faithful love for Israel endures forever!’

Do we even know how blessed we are that His dwelling place, His Temple, is within us!
I can’t imagine not being able to talk to Him, where ever I am at!

Their shouts of weeping and joy “could be heard far in the distance” (Ezra 3:13).
The glory of the Lord was felt – “local residents tried to discourage and frighten the people of Judah to keep them from their work” –“They bribed agents to work against them and to frustrate their plans” (5). Wow, can’t you just see satan, busy at work, already? He did not waste much time, did he? He will do everything to keep us from doing kingdom work.

Ya’ll let’s lift up some praises today! Let’s give Him some thanks, while we’re at it; yes, indeed…God is good! Amen.

Hugs, Lori
Amy~ sweetie, when I walk –it depends on the season. Now, it’s getting to that good time…where you can walk briskly, and not come home wringing wet with sweat! It’s dark, but by the time I’m done, the sun has come up!

Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning, GIGs,

My experience of coming out of exile (lots of factors put me there) was slow and gradual, accomplished over a few YEARS time. Not a moment, but many moments of enlightenment leading up to what now feels so good and right that I would never want to be without this feeling of peace and reliance on Him whose "faithful love endures forever." The key for me, which this Bible study did much to bring about, was getting to KNOW God in a personal relationship, rather than to KNOW ABOUT God.

My nugget: "In early autumn, when the Israelites had settled in their towns, all the people assembled in Jerusalem with a unified purpose" (Ezra 3:1) This makes me think of all of us affiliated with schools who have to shift gears in the Autumn and come back together with a unified purpose - to educate, be educated or support those being educated -- but this year, like the Israelites, I have fully returned from exile and am depending fully on the Lord to direct my paths. Amen!

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Blogger Tina said...

Tears of joy are streaming down my face this morning as God is
winking!

I am overwhelmed, marveled and celebrating His amazing grace & power as Claire starts her first day of pre-school today!

He has brought us out of the captive life of her diagnosis,leading us from the NICU bed 3 years ago,to this amazing moment of her able to live a full life!
Celebrate with me today the glory of God & His ability to bring us from the depths of captivity to the heights of His love! Amen!

Blogger Karen said...

Praises indeed Tina!

Love that Claire is starting pre-school! She will surely bubble over when she comes home!

Blogger Karen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus! We have so many reasons to praise You and celebrate You! Today I want to especially lift up my praises to You that our Baby Claire is going to school! You are a marvelous God; so full of surprises and wonderful blessings! We thank You Jesus for Your love. a love that endures forever and ever! Praise You Father!

Morgen

Blogger Gaylene said...

Praising God for Clair's first day of preschool! What a mighty God we have!

Today what became my nugget is from Ezra 3:3 "Even though the people were afraid of the local residents, they rebuilt the alter at its old site. then they began to sacrifice burnt offerings on the alter on the Lord each morning and evening." Though they were afraid, the fear did not deter them from the work, worship, and service of God. How am I handling my fear of the "locals"? Am I speaking up against injustices, am I openly worshiping, praying in public or am I hiding?

Home sweet home...in the arms of God! What a wonderful place to be.

Willing,
Gaylene

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so now I finally got to the vlog! I too was struck by the celebration of the Isrealites; how the elders were overcome and wept with joy! I loved that picture of weeping and shouting mixed together! I pictured their weeping caused by an ocean wave of the realization of God's love and redemption flowing over them...and uncontrollable emotion of awe, relief, joy, all wrapped up into one!

My return from exile is just like Michelle's; slow and gradual. Now, looking back from this perspective, I am in awe and so thankful for the slow, but sure journey to healing where my Jesus led me the whole way. I love Him more and am in more wonderment of Him everyday!

Bless all my GIG!
Morgen

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Rejoicing with you, Tina! Preschool is a big deal. Do update us on how her day went if you can.

Karen - great post. Yes, God uses our experiences to help others. Nothing is ever wasted with Him.

Great nugget on today's reading, GIGs. Like Michelle and Morgen, my deliverance was slow ~ 40 years in the wilderness. It took that long because I did not even know I was in exile. Like Michelle said, I knew about God but did not know Him until years later. I so thank Him for His patience. I also need to remember to extend the same patience and grace to those around me who are not yet "there" with God.

On one of my KI lectures, Chuck Missler mentioned that only about 50,000 returned. He said the rest became too comfortable in the Babylonian lifestyle that they opted to stay there instead of returning to the Promised Land.

We did not make it to the Feast of Trumpets celebration last night. My son's asthma flared up coupled with a sore throat. Good news is he has no fever. But I wouldn't be surprised if I get a "please pick up your son" call from school today.

Have a blessed day everyone!

Blogger Michelle said...

PTL for Baby Claire's first day of preschool. Whoo hoo!!!!

Grace & Peace, LOVE the Days of Elijah You Tube clip you gave us yesterday. Picture me bee bopping around doing housework to that song playing loudly out of my computer. Thanks so much!

Dixie, glory to God for you free medications, and prayers for a wonderful reunion with Laurie and Brett next month [smile]

Jen Ren, how ya doin'? No post-vacation blues, I hope. But if you are feeling down, check out that song G&P gave us. Here's the link again


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wl0VFgpjY


(I'm off from school today for Rosh Hashannah)

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen, Michelle, G&P, I can identify with your posts. It wasn't until I experienced divorce that I was able to really put myself into another's shoes who were in a similiar situation. God brought me through and He has given me compassion and empathy for others. I can now really respond, "I know what you are going through". Also when I went for a new carreer at age 47, I can share how God led me all the way and I can offer encouragement to another who is having a hard time at work. "My Lord is so good! His faithful love for Israel (Teeny) endures forever!"
Thank you for your posts and all the digging you do.
Praise God for Claire's first day in school.
Dixie, rejoicing with you for your free medication! Have a wonderful visit with your childrem...
Linda, praying for you.
Will be driving to NC on Friday and "Home Sweet Home"!
Love ya'll,
Teeny

I'm so glad ya'll "hung in there" and kept reading. I told ya the deliverance was coming. Seventy years of captivity was a long time.
Not everyone chose to go home, leave the luxuries, build a new Jerusalem,start new jobs, build new houses,a new community, and a new church. Where was their faith in God's provision?

Once you have lived by faith and experienced God providing for you,
then you can encourage others to do the same. You even have those memories to encourage yourself when faith runs thin. I wouldn't take the world for our 17 years away from home, following God through mts. and valleys. I know first hand what He can do with faith the size of a grain of mustard seed. However, others haven't been down that road, so encourage them, share with them, pray for them.

We were happy to return home, but 6weeks later my mom passed away, and mother inlaw passed 8 months after that. So joy and weeping in verse 13 were felt.

It was 57 years before another group, 1,754 Israelites, went with Ezra to Jerusalem. Then 12 years later, some followed Nehemiah to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem.

I noticed the Levites were in charge of rebuilding the Temple.

Got to get ready shopping at a huge consinement sale :)

Linda from Ark

I'm so glad ya'll "hung in there" and kept reading. I told ya the deliverance was coming. Seventy years of captivity was a long time.
Not everyone chose to go home, leave the luxuries, build a new Jerusalem,start new jobs, build new houses,a new community, and a new church. Where was their faith in God's provision?

Once you have lived by faith and experienced God providing for you,
then you can encourage others to do the same. You even have those memories to encourage yourself when faith runs thin. I wouldn't take the world for our 17 years away from home, following God through mts. and valleys. I know first hand what He can do with faith the size of a grain of mustard seed. However, others haven't been down that road, so encourage them, share with them, pray for them.

We were happy to return home, but 6weeks later my mom passed away, and mother inlaw passed 8 months after that. So joy and weeping in verse 13 were felt.

It was 57 years before another group, 1,754 Israelites, went with Ezra to Jerusalem. Then 12 years later, some followed Nehemiah to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem.

I noticed the Levites were in charge of rebuilding the Temple.

Got to get ready shopping at a huge consinement sale :)

Linda from Ark

I'm so glad ya'll "hung in there" and kept reading. I told ya the deliverance was coming. Seventy years of captivity was a long time.
Not everyone chose to go home, leave the luxuries, build a new Jerusalem,start new jobs, build new houses,a new community, and a new church. Where was their faith in God's provision?

Once you have lived by faith and experienced God providing for you,
then you can encourage others to do the same. You even have those memories to encourage yourself when faith runs thin. I wouldn't take the world for our 17 years away from home, following God through mts. and valleys. I know first hand what He can do with faith the size of a grain of mustard seed. However, others haven't been down that road, so encourage them, share with them, pray for them.

We were happy to return home, but 6weeks later my mom passed away, and mother inlaw passed 8 months after that. So joy and weeping in verse 13 were felt.

It was 57 years before another group, 1,754 Israelites, went with Ezra to Jerusalem. Then 12 years later, some followed Nehemiah to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem.

I noticed the Levites were in charge of rebuilding the Temple.

Got to get ready shopping at a huge consinement sale :)

Linda from Ark

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there’s no place like home… I was clicking the heels of my pink sandals (no ruby slippers here) and saying just that, last night!

What a great spiritual lift to open my message for today and to see your title, Wendy, “Home Sweet Home!” I am still in a bit of a blur, but have to put my toe into the water of Wendyland here, just to start reconnecting.

The Israelites returned to their homeland, and they got busy! There was much to do. And so too with me! I couldn’t wait to cook a meal, and do my laundry, go through the mail. I started cleaning up messes (no comment!). We love our routines, eh? I wanted to recreate my happy home again. And I was actually excited to do it all!

It is a fresh start here, my home seen with new eyes and a new appreciation. But it won't ever be the same place as it was-- I am bringing back a flavor of my travels—food, art, culture, lifestyle, which gives me enthusiasm! I will take better care, and I will want to live up to noble standards. Do you think the Israelites also felt that way? Now we have a chance and we are going to do things right! Our lives are a gift, and we can’t take that gift for granted.

Teeny, it is so true that the times we are most challenged by difficulties are the times we grow the most. Because of our trials we learn to appreciate and honor those same struggles around us in the body of Christ. And this is how we can bear fruit and be able to lift others--because we have walked in their shoes. This is why I thank God for the experience we have been through with our son. God's wise lessons melt away our selfish judgments and open our hearts for compassion, love, and faith in His Will.

So, back to my work—there’s no place like home! ;) I have a ton of catching up with all of you too!
Blessings and prayers,
Jacque

Blogger Michelle said...

Welcome back, Jacque. You were missed!! I'm picturing you grinning when you returned to Wendy Land today and her opening line was, "there's no place like home." What a delicious Godwink for you!!

Michelle in New England

Post a Comment

Home