Open Blog Weekend August 28-29
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...the weekend.
No homework and nowhere to go except church on Sunday. I love it!!!!

Great week of reading and comments. I have loved Jeremiah and Ezekiel. God's Word never ceases to amaze me in its application to our lives. I love Him and I love it!

You guys are truly a blessing to me. I have received some incredibly encouraging emails this week. Thank you so much. I will respond to them all, I promise. Your love for and support of me is overwhelming.

Have an awesome weekend. If possible, attend corporate worship this week. There's nothing like it.


13 Comments:

Anonymous Lori said...

Happy Saturday!

The thought that brought me joy this morning:
“But LORD, you remain the same forever!” (Lamentations 5:19)

Dear sister’s ~ what a reassurance to know that our Father is always consistent!

In our surrounding world, that is forever changing, it is such a comfort to know the our Rock – Our God Almighty, the one we will hold on to, and put our faith in, - never changes. Each morning we can anticipate His never failing love, and faithfulness.

Today, may our focus be on the Lord. “But if we stop being “stiff-necked” (Acts 7:51), the Lord can turn our eyes away from worthless things and revive our hearts.” (Julie Ackerman Link)

Anticipating His presence today, and looking forward to knowing Him more.

Wendy, thank you for an awesome week in the Word, together – showing us daily, how applicable His Word is to our life. And from one momma with 2 boy’s ~ a weekend without homework, woo wee! Enjoy! Today, around the Prince home, we’re tackling the “honey do” list! and...So, looking forward to corporate worship tomorrow – the topic – marriage! Can’t wait to see what God’s Word says on this!

Loving each one of you, and praying this morning that He opens up a verse to you and shows you His sweetness. May we each expect to be drawn closer to Him.

Hugs, Lori

May your weekend by restful and blessed. I am pretty sure you may be coming to speak at our church next spring. Our ladies group will start following your NT study this fall. Can't wait!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is such a beautiful day here! Low humidity, morning sun, cool breeze-- I actually had goosebumps and got to put on a jacket as I read from my deck today! What a joy it is to appreciate God's Word amidst His glory in nature.

The judgment of Edom touched me today. (1:3) The Lord said, you boast that you "make your home high in the mountains. 'Who can ever reach us up here?' "

Again in 1:11, "you stood aloof, refusing to help them..." ...you should have not gloated, not have rejoiced with their suffering, should have not spoken arrogantly, SHOULD NOT HAVE STOOD AT THE CROSSROADS!

Crossroads: turning point, defining moment, moment of truth, crisis.

I thought, am I placing myself above others, am I sometimes unreachable? Am I turning my head away when I face an uncomfortable moment of truth, when I could have an opportunity to turn out of the crossroads and into the service of our Lord? Do I have the courage to step out of my comfort zone, up on the mountain? Can I be courageous and willing to start walking through the valley with the ones who need my hand to hold and to serve, my ear to listen, my words to encourage, my feet to lead, my heart to love?

Dear Lord, help me to stay in the valley, deeply connected with the people in my life, so that I do not put my selfish needs before Your Holy Will for me. Help my defining moments be for Your glory. Amen.

Blessings and prayers,
Jacque

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ladies,

Had a rough week with a sick baby on my hands - a cold, teething (two eye teeth) and a sore bum.

Michelle from NE - thanks for suggestion re possible illness - I had a look but it doesn't ring true for me personally.

Planning for Elliot's first year b-day party next weekend. Can't believe my little boo is turning 1 already. Where does the time go?

On a personal note - sent my first article off to be reviewed since She Speaks (well ever really). Praying for some good feedback.

If any of you get a chance - my good friend recently started a blog for Christian parents - swing by and have a look, drop a comment if you feel inclined. http://sipparent.wordpress.com/

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

Jodie from Ottawa

Blogger Amy said...

The Edomites were facing judgement for being cruel to Israel specifically; their faults included being greedy, mean, proud, thieving, and murderous. I've never killed anybody physically, but I've certainly been greedy and proud and mean. How humbling to know that this could have been me!

The next section after that sounded like something that is yet to come. I'm off to hang up some laundry and then spend some time with a map and see if I can figure out where all of those places are. I love when you can see just how God is carrying out His promises! (Not that I doubt it, but I can't always see it.)

We spent some time at a tiny local street fair this morning where a local praise band sang, and now the kids are resting. Andi's worn out from K! Part of her prayer last night, though, was: "God, thank you for going to school today. Please make Saturday and Sunday go faster and school days go slower. Amen." I'm sure glad she likes it because there's an awful lot left!

Have a great weekend!

Blogger Amy said...

I don't know much about the church of Christ, so I don't know much about the authors of this website, but the information within it seems to line up with what I know to be true. It shares the basic history of the Edomites and what has happened with them as a nation and with their land.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2005/09-24.htm

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

Hi figs.
It is day 240.

Yesterday we went bac to the beach and I tried the boogie board again. I hit a good wave and went about 60 feet. Today we got up early and went kayaking. It was a sunny day with a really nice breeze. We rented double kayaks so my dad and I were together. I have never kayaked before so I had to get used to paddling. It's different than paddling a canoe which I have done. A kayak paddle has a blade on both ends. Tomorrow morning we will be going home.

Blogger Karen said...

Jennifer Renee, it sounds like you had a wonderful vacation! I am so happy for you! I hope the feelings of being loved, of enjoying God's creation, and of freedom and peace remain with you when you return home.

Amy, I have a couple more links for you on Edom;

From Easton's Bible dictionary:
http://www.studylight.org/dic/ebd/view.cgi?number=T1129

and from Bibleplaces.com: http://www.bibleplaces.com/edom.htm

Lastly, the map site: http://bibleatlas.org/edom.htm

I too am amazed at how God's words continue to come true today!

For Sunday, I was shaking my head....

Jeremiah 42:19-21

19 “Listen, you remnant of Judah. The Lord has told you: ‘Do not go to Egypt!’ Don’t forget this warning I have given you today. 20 For you were not being honest when you sent me to pray to the Lord your God for you. You said, ‘Just tell us what the Lord our God says, and we will do it!’ 21 And today I have told you exactly what he said, but you will not obey the Lord your God any better now than you have in the past. 22 So you can be sure that you will die from war, famine, and disease in Egypt, where you insist on going.”

And then 44:16-18

16 “We will not listen to your messages from the Lord! 17 We will do whatever we want. We will burn incense and pour out liquid offerings to the Queen of Heaven just as much as we like—just as we, and our ancestors, and our kings and officials have always done in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. For in those days we had plenty to eat, and we were well off and had no troubles! 18 But ever since we quit burning incense to the Queen of Heaven and stopped worshiping her with liquid offerings, we have been in great trouble and have been dying from war and famine.”

Really! Then I guess you get what you deserve! But as soon as these thoughts were in my head, another set of thoughts came as well. Do I pay attention to "cause and effect?" Do I say to myself, when I was doing those things that I knew were wrong, I was seemingly happier. I was pampered, enjoying the material things of this world, denying myself very little... The thoughts of giving up my "guilty pleasures" seems unfair to me... There I go, trapped in the world.

Okay, I didn't sacrifice my children physically, but maybe I did spiritually. But I am SO glad that I was not so willful as the people who went back to Egypt! I did turn to the Lord and began my season of obedience. And He has been faithful; He has forgiven me, He has built me up, not torn me down, He has planted me, and He has given me a song in my heart and a willingness to praise Him. Thank you Father!

Lastly, Ezekiel 33:31-32

31 So my people come pretending to be sincere and sit before you. They listen to your words, but they have no intention of doing what you say. Their mouths are full of lustful words, and their hearts seek only after money. 32 You are very entertaining to them, like someone who sings love songs with a beautiful voice or plays fine music on an instrument. They hear what you say, but they don’t act on it!

Hmm.... Sounds like many Church goers today. After the terrible events of 9/11, huge numbers of new Church goers appeared. Prayer revitalized, people were desperately seeking answers. But the surge did not last. Now 9 years later, the attendance is very low again. Churches are closing their doors because of lack of members, and many people still just come and "pretend to listen" with no intention of following what they hear.

My to do: Listen, take heed, act on what I hear. Do not be conformed by this world, but be transformed by the renewing of my mind, so that I may be able to test and approve what God’s will is (Romans 12:2).

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Karen, Basel

Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning, GIGs.

Happy Weekend to all from a beautiful lake in New Hampshire. I've just caught up on the comments, and Karen, yours called to mind something I had been researching this week. It's the idea of "Prevenient Grace", and I have pulled an except from a website I found interesting (see below). The idea of prevenient grace, most notably included in the doctrine of the Methodists, helps me understand, looking in my rear view mirror, how God was active in my life and calling to me even before I realized it. So instead of feeling guilty about all the years I was not actively walking with Him, instead I am striving to feel confident that my current walk with Him is all part of His perfect plan and perfect timing.


THE DIVINE INITIATIVE

Prior to our awareness of God, God prepares us to turn to him. Jesus said, "No one can come to me unless drawn by the Father who sent me." (John 6:44; see also Jeremiah 31:3; 1 John 4:10) These, and other scriptures, are clear in demonstrating that God cultivates our hearts long before we have any inclination to turn to God. Even amidst the tattered shreds of our sinful existence, as fallen creatures totally incapable of even desiring to turn to God, the Holy Spirit creates within us a desire for a relationship with God. This gracious activity takes place well ahead of our consciousness of it; indeed, we often believe that our returning to God is something that we cook up within our own souls. Quite the contrary, scripture makes it plain that it is God's gift of grace which, initially, sparks are thought, interest, and desire to come to God.


Here is the link to the site:
http://www.revneal.org/Writings/on.htm

I apologize for this being a rushed post. I would love to chat more about this, but another time perhaps. Husband is expecting me to join him at beach and I need to get going.

Love you all!

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Blogger Rhonda said...

Peaceful….Peaceful….Sabbath,

I didn’t do the reading today….With Yhea Wendy….I was filled (and convicted) today with the 3 readings from church. My husband and I did the Sat. evening mass for the weekend….Convicted cause about 2 hrs before I was on the phone with one of my sisters….doing and saying just what the gospel was telling us not to do. Karen….Going to church and hearing what I heard brought this gal back down to reality and humility. I so need church…My sister whom I had the discussion with on the phone was also in church….Both at the end of mass and at the same time said to one another “Boy we needed to hear that didn’t we?” I have the same thoughts about the churches being empty…where are all the mid-20 to 30 year old’s? Confession also Karen….I am a church goer and was caught not listening to the message. I do a lot of times wonder to myself after mass and wonder okay everyone did we just hear that message???

Today enjoying the Sabbath…rereading the readings…Sons went to the 9:30 mass…both were working yesterday evening. I hope and always pray they will continue church services even if Mom and Dad are not around. Husband left back out early this morning. Thank you Father for such a wonderful husband…He has left out humbly with a different truck the air conditioner not working. He has been dealing with this on and off for the last 6 or so month….I find him so often with such a humble heart….he slept with windows having to be open and plenty of flies this time of yr. May his truck be done this week and working when he gets home at the end of this week.

Had the windows open this morning enjoying some of these last summer early morning summer breezes and what did I hear a Baltimore Oriole. (Them usually leave back south the end of July). I looked out the window over our home he flew….like he was saying good-bye. Still enjoying the humming birds. Supposes to stop feeding them the first of Sept. they have been a great pleasure when to watch as I stand at the kitchen sink doing up dishes.

I Love You God!….
My God, if my tongue cannot say in every moment that I love you, I want my heart to repeat it to you as often as I draw breath.
From: A Priest Forever
Nine signs of Renewal and Hope
By Alfred McBride, O. PRAEM

Rhonda

Blogger Rhonda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Gaylene said...

Willing... the reading today shows the people were only willing to be obedient if (such a little word with so much power)they had their own way.

My to do: to be willing with the right attitude, the right reason which is to be "love the Lord my God with all my heart, my soul, my mind, and my strength" (Mark 12:30)for in doing this can I only repay a small piece of the grace He gives me daily.

Karen, really appreciate your thoughts and sharing today. You are so very right.

Willing,
Gaylene

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon GIGS.

I just wanted to briefly mention a walk I am participating in in early October. The cause is very dear to my heart - Stop Child Trafficking Now. Do not want to get into details as I'm not sure this is the correct forum for that but if anyone is interested in more info on this horrific crime or would like to donate to my walk, please email me at kagreene62@comcast.net and I will correspond with you directly.

Please pray for safety for ALL of the world's children.

Thanks

Kelly

Post a Comment

Home