"Turn to me now, while there is time. Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning."
Joel 2:12
Joel 2:12
My Take Aways
Something Old:
Malachi 2:7~ Do I weary the Lord?
Malachi 3:6-15~Am I cheating the Lord?
Something New:
Joel 3:14
"Thousands upon thousands are waiting in the valley of decision. There the day of the LORD will soon arrive."
Thank you Lord for this word today.Something to Do:
Praise Him for the changes He has made in my life and for the changes He is going to be make. I am a work in progress-grace, grace, grace.






21 Comments:
I just had to comment on Saturday’s reading of Nehemiah—our favorite movie is “Facing the Giants,” and if you haven’t seen it, you MUST!! It is made by Christian film producers, and we have seen it over and over and I could still watch it again and again! In a crucial par t of their football game, the coach tells the defense about Nehemiah building the stone wall. Each man built the strong part of the wall right in front of him. If each player held the man in front of him, no one would get through the line. Coach said, “I need you to build me a stone wall.” I never fully got that until the reading!
I am LOVING my new job! I think it was created just for me! I didn’t realize how stale I was getting in my old job I guess. And it probably is a good thing that it happened so fast or I may have backed out! God really had a plan for me to be at the school, and it is so great. I have enjoyed all the readings about finding joy in work!
I am trying to stay balanced and keeping up with you all!
Jennifer--Iowa
PS Rhonda--Catholics today are really doing Bible studies, focusing less on works, and many other things different from the past.
Wendy, I wish you had 10 more minutes, too!!! You are on fire today!!! I did not finish this looong reading yet, but will do so after school.
Jennifer, so glad you are enjoying your new job and His new plan for you {smile}.
Rhonda, Rhonda (NY) and Jennifer, I was raised a Catholic and practiced that faith until about 10 years ago. I did a lot of thinking about it this summer, as well as research on the Protestant Reformation. A lot of my issues with Catholicism are the same issues that led to the Reformation (and are many of the issues you posted yesterday, Rhonda in NY.) If that religion "works" for a person, that is wonderful. What works for me right now is working hard on having a direct relationship with our Heavenly Father through His son, Jesus Christ. I also avail myself of the best preachers from the present and the past, through the magic of the internet and Christian radio, and books, and this Bible study. I have grown in my faith and spirituality more this year than in the previous half century. Praise the Lord!
Teeny, special prayers today for Sarah as she begins this phase of treatment for her breast cancer.
I had sad news yesterday that my sister, Denise, has bladder cancer. She will have the tumor removed next Wednesday.
In closing, thank you to those who sent me encouraging words about my job yesterday. Jodie, that was a lovely prayer!
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Woowee, I don’t know about ya’ll, but when I sat down to read, and flipped through the
p a g e s …I thought oh my it’s a LONG reading today! I stopped immediately, and prayed, Lord, open up these verses to me. Hold my attention as I read Joel. Teach me dear Lord. Sisters - Joel is one rich chapter! I forgot just how packed full it was with good, good stuff! Don’t let the amount of pages hold you back! You will be drawn right in, and before you know it, you’ll be on the last page, wanting to reread it!
Wendy thank you for opening your mouth and allowing the Holy Spirit to bring the verses alive! Thank you, Lord for sister Wendy. Bittersweet today, as we end the O.T. with all of the stories, truths, promises, and faithful followers of the Lord, tucked in the mix. But, Jesus, here we come! Hallelujah! It is hard to believe we are on the last quarter of the reading! Time flies when we’re in God’s Word, doesn’t it?
Michelle, I smiled when you wrote: “I have grown in my faith and spirituality more this year than in the previous half century”. I feel the same way. It’s never too late to come alive! These last two years with Wendy have been the roller-coaster of my life! I will have to say, that turning 50 was the bees knees! Thank you Jesus!!! There are downs, but now I’m not alone during these pits! God in his generous mercy has made himself alive in me, and if that was not enough, -given me encouragers along the way! Friends that love the Lord, just like I do. Friends that are not satisfied staying on the east side- but, stepping into the Promised Land! GOD IS GOOD ALL OF THE TIME!
There is so much I want to write about, but will emphasize one verse: “Let the priests, who minister in the LORD’s presence, stand and weep between the entry room to the Temple and the altar. Let them pray…” (Joel 2: 17). Oh, this just flew off the pages at me, today dear girls…today, the privilege and honor we have – each one of us – that we are able to worship the Lord, - through our own prayers of intercession! We can pray on behalf of another person and lift up our requests. As we pray to God, - our relationship grows more and more intimate. The Lord places a burden on our heart through His Spirit – it’s nothing we do, but He does this, - so that we will pray for others’. Together, we form the Body of Christ – we are all joined together by the same Father. Each of us has our own relationships that we are in the middle of – God in his mercy created us to thrive within a community. We are not meant to live life isolated, but surrounded by people. And, as Christians we are to assist each other, encourage each other, and pray for each other – so that no one has to carry their hardships alone. Oh, sisters, the honor we have to pray in intercession – for other people…what we are doing is standing in the gap between God and that person we are praying for. Thank you Lord for giving us this privilege of praying! Girls’ – I love you all! Enjoy the day! Lori
PS GP, I read your post on my phone while out-about yesterday…- oh, I, want to be like Nehemiah, too – to be consumed with the Holy Spirit, to the point that my passion comes out! Every little hole, every little spot, every little nook and cranny – fill me up today, dear Lord. I want to be ALL YOU INSIDE! None of me, - all of you! Lord, just like GP said, fill each one of us up with your Holy Spirit today! Each morning, girls’ we gotta wake up and ask for this, for we know the enemy is by our bed, - waiting to fill us up with him! May words of praise be the first thing we say as we climb out of our beds.
Karen posted a couple of days ago, GP. She better not be on another trip! Smile!
Jennifer - you make me want to go back and watch Facing The Giants one more time now! Thanks for that description.
I have been convicted lately about my tithing. Jon Courson says in his commentary that as he understands the scriptures, tithing always is to your home church, and anything else you give (to a sponsored child, directly to a missionary, or Samaritan's purse for example), would be considered OFFERING; above and beyond your tithe. God tells us here in Malachi 3 that "you have cheated me of the tithes and offerings due to me"....ouch! Why do we cling on so tightly to our money? God promises us He will pour out so many blessings on us if we just trust Him with our tithes and offerings. We can test Him in this one area! He's given us the green light! Lord, help our unbelief. Amen.
(I do realize that living with an unbelieving spouse makes it difficult to tithe when they don't understand it like we do...God, help their unbelief! amen)
Have a great Thursday GIG!
Morgen
Hi all,
Not on another trip, just some really long days in the office. Today will be 10 hours... I am taking a break to read your comments and comment with you.
Lori, I had the EXACT same reaction today. Because I was gone for so long, I had been reading three days at a time and then skimming blog postings and listening to vlogs. Today when I saw how long it was, I graoned... then ashamed, I prayed. Oh how rich!
“Look! I am sending my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. Then the Lord you are seeking will suddenly come to his Temple. The messenger of the covenant, whom you look for so eagerly, is surely coming,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
2 “But who will be able to endure it when he comes? Who will be able to stand and face him when he appears? For he will be like a blazing fire that refines metal, or like a strong soap that bleaches clothes. 3 He will sit like a refiner of silver, burning away the dross. He will purify the Levites, refining them like gold and silver, so that they may once again offer acceptable sacrifices to the Lord. 4 Then once more the Lord will accept the offerings brought to him by the people of Judah and Jerusalem, as he did in the past. (Micah 3:1-2)
Add that to the torn heart as the offering and it make me have tears in my eyes!
Morgen, you hit it! "Put me to the test!" My life story is here. I know I have shared this with you all before, but it humbles me every time I remember. I too ask myself "how many times do I have to learn this?" God saved me! He blessed me beyond measure! I KNOW in my bones the importance of tithing and giving first fruits even when you have no idea where the next money will come from to pay bills or buy groceries. Give to God and He in turn will give to you... Karen WAKE UP! Don't rest on your laurels today or think this is all about you! Get back to the basics!
"Return to the Lord your God,
for he is merciful and compassionate,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
He is eager to relent and not punish."
Have a great day all!
Karen, Basel
Happy Thursday Everybody,
Wendy….Felt your hug this morning…coming right back to you. Thanks. Through you I really have been doing a lot of researching and studying of the bible. There was a lot of great information for today.
Messenger:
Just like for today Malachi ….meaning:
The commentary in the New American reads: This work was composed by an anonymous writer shortly before Nehemiah’s arrival in Jerusalem (455 B.C.). Because of the sharp reproaches he was leveling against the priests and rulers of the people, the author probably wished to conceal his identity. To do this he made a proper name out of the Hebrew expression for “My Messenger” (Malachi) , which occurs in 1, 1 and 3,1. The historical value of the prophecy is considerable in that it gives us a picture of life in the Jewish community returned from Babylon, between the period of Haggai and the reform measures of Ezra and Nehemiah. It is likely that the author’s trenchant criticism of abuses and religious indifference in the community prepared the way for these necessary reforms.
Bible verse:
Malachi 3:1 Lo, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me:* And suddenly there will come to the temple the LORD whom you seek, And the messenger of the covenant whom you desire. Yes, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.
Footnote 3:1: My messenger…before me: in v 23 this messenger is called Elijah. In Mt 11, 10 these words are quoted by Christ as referring to John the Baptizer, who prepared the way for the coming of the Savior; cf Mt 3:1ff, 11f; 17:11ff; Mk 1:2-8; lk 3:2-18; Jn 1 31-34.
Prayers needed for the school our sons attend. In our small rural town it is making the local news….The superintendent…..We are finally seeing The God of Justice. This man is making over $300,000 where there are only 600 students total. K-12. This guy likes total control. When the principal left…He also instead of offering a job to someone else….to give somebody else employment…picked it up. Greed. There are over 60 students in my sons history class. Let teachers go right and left.
Thinking so much of All of you. Thanks To you all.
Blessings,
Rhonda
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda NY….(Hugs sister) No offence was taken…My excitement yes is what I wanted to share with You/actually All. That website (Catholics come Home) can answer all of our doubts more than I can sit here and try to explain them. Jesus tells us to go out and be his disciples. You are all so special/precious to me …. since I’ve come to join this group. There are days yes I ask myself God what/why should I stay here? Should I continue? A lot of their beliefs are different than mine. There are days like he is telling me right now. (Rhonda I am asking you to do something….Are you willing to obey?) Like Jennifer-Iowa said yes Catholics today are doing bible studies. A personal relationship with Jesus came to me by listening to a non-Catholic radio station….and today I am grateful for it. It has shown me a way back to my deep embedded roots. Since than it has been my hearts most desire. I believe he does want one church. The one Jesus himself founded. Have the same beliefs. When the other churches started branching off…they started changing this. The question in the answer part (How old is your church?) A great chart of when churches were founded on this here website they given http://www.scborromeo.org/truth/figure1.pdf Brought a lot of realization to this here question:
Why do Catholics believe the Catholic Church is the one true church, founded 2,000 years ago by Jesus Christ Himself?
Answer:
The Catholic Church is the only church today that can claim to be the one church founded by Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago. Other denominations can trace their origins back to various human founders at a later date in history. (How old is your church?)
In Matthew 16:18, Jesus said to Peter, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” Jesus handed the authority to guide the Church in His name to Peter and the apostles, to be passed down through the centuries.
The Church is the body of Christ (Ephesians 5:23). Christ established only one Church—one body—so that there would not be multiple “bodies” with conflicting doctrines. After all, God cannot contradict Himself. Christ also wanted His Church to be visible, so all may see that the Church is indeed one, just as Christ and the Father are one (John 17:22 ).
This one, visible church, with divine authority and consistent doctrine that Christ established 2,000 years ago is the Catholic Church, the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Timothy 3:15). As Paul asks in 1 Corinthians, “Is Christ divided?” (1 Corinthians 1:13). No. That is not what the Christ intended. So, He established one Church.
Jesus, Strengthen Me/Us!
O tree of Calvary, send your roots deep down into my heart. Gather together the soil of my heart, the sands of my fickleness, the mud of my desires. Bind them all together and interlace them with thy strong roots, entwine them with the network of thy love.
Rhonda
This comment has been removed by the author.
All I can say is, "Halleluia, What an exit......"
Thank You, Lord, for your servant Wendy...for her discernment and love and understanding and sharing of Your precious and holy Word."
Give me Jesus too,
Jeanne, NC
Just what I needed to hear this morning. I think I'll be joining you for the New Testament.
Tell me what I need girlfriend.
Love you
Susan
Rhonda,
My experience is the same as Michelle in NE. I grew up Catholic as well. You said you accepted Jesus as your Savior and you have a personal relationship with Him. That is all that matters. You are our sister in Christ. :)
In essentials, unity
In non-essentials, liberty
In all things, charity.
-St. Augustine
Excerpts from Chuck Missler of Koinonia Institute:
Joel is a short little book (only three chapters, 73 verses) devoted almost entirely to the most climactic period in all Scripture: "The Day of the Lord," the final climax that we are all looking forward to. It's surprising that even students of prophecy seem to overlook this little gem. The very name Joel means, "Yahweh is God." As we learn to recognize that Revelation 9 - 19 has Israel as its primary focus, we should not be surprised that most of what we know about that period is from the Old Testament, and much of that from this fascinating little book.
The primary theme in the book of Joel is The Day of the Lord. It's an important book because it records Israel's place in God's program: from Babylon all the way through to the Millennium. Joel also has a lot to say about the Gentile nations and their collision course to Armageddon. Joel's second chapter reads like news camera footage of modern combat helicopters and troops in action! Except the cosmic effects are most terrifying: (Joel 2:10, 31)
Peter also recognized that the astonishing events of Pentecost in Acts Chapter 2 were ushering in the preparation for the end times, and he quoted from Joel to make his point. (However, the sun did not darken; the moon did not turn to blood; and the Lord didn't appear with wrath against the nations.) Peter knew well that the Day of the Lord had not come yet: he says so in 2 Pet 3:10. Pentecost was a fulfillment in miniature: Joel saw the end point of the whole process; Peter focused on the onset. This was a guarantee that God would complete the entirety: an inauguration; the firstfruits. (Notice: There is no reason to restrict Peter's statement about the gifts of the Spirit to one particular occasion. If the Spirit was given at Pentecost, and Joel described it to include the final Day of the Lord, there is no basis to exclude the gifts today - since we are certainly still between these two points of time!) Joel also includes some timely details of the climax:
I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land. - Joel 3:2
"Scattered among the nations," we understand; but "parted my land"? That sure has implications for our current news headlines!
The book of Malachi, among other things, includes one of the most fascinating personal challenges found in the Bible.
Several times in the Scriptures, Jesus emphasizes that we are not to "test" God (Deut 6:16). In fact, this issue is included among the famed "temptations" of Christ (Matt 4:7; Luke 4:12). Yet, here we find an astonishing exception, where God actually dares us to put Him to a test! (Malachi 3:10)
Here the Divine Ruler of the Universe puts Himself "into a box" of commitment and dares us to "prove Him now herewith" by accepting His challenge! It is the answer to all financial problems, if we will but take advantage of this audacious promise. This book closes the Old Testament record with a prophecy of a return "in the spirit of Elijah," and ushers in the 400-year period that scholars call the "silent years" between the testaments. The New Testament opens with John the Baptist, the person that ends the Old Testament (Matt 11:13; Luke 16:16.)
Looking forward to the fulfillment of the OT in Jesus Christ!
Michelle,
I am sorry to hear of the news about Denise. I pray that God's hand would touch her and heal her. Father, may Your will be done in her life. If You choose to use this latest illness as her ministry, please give her the grace to walk in it. May she glorify you mightily. Father, please be with Denise's husband and her family especially our sister, Michelle, as they go through this with her. Give them strength and peace and words of comfort. May they be ministering angels to Denise. In Jesus' wonderful name, we pray. Amen.
I cannot believe that we have read the whole Old Testament! (I have finally tossed all my "stickies" and finished where I needed to catch up!) Wendy, this has been such a wonderful challenge for me, and a tremendous growing experience.
The last few years have been spiritual doldrums, a wasteland, trying to find meaning by reading different books and philosophies to deepen my faith. But God's Word, the greatest Book, was always right here in my house, waiting for me to explore it! He is fulfilling me in a way that no other author can! I find such a deep appreciation of all the scripture readings in our church services now, that I didn't even connect with before. It has been so enriching, to be challenged to read daily, to listen to a wonderful teacher, and to be in fellowship with very spiritual women. I will always treasure this year with you.
I've experienced mixed feelings about our Catholic Church, the ups and owns with various pastors (they do make a difference), the controversies, the rituals, etc. Also, with my husband being in administration there is a political aspect too. Tradition is an evolving process, and I think with each generation the church is becoming more real. I still have to put the responsibility of my faith onto my own shoulders, because no church can carry me to heaven!
I have always been a bit sarcastic about the "rituals" in our church, thinking they are just so rigid and old-fashioned! But wow, I have to share with you an "aha!" moment when we went to Mass in Mexico! Although my Spanish is not very good, and I understood very few of those fast-moving words, I knew exactly where we were in the Mass all the time-- because of the ritual! I was just moved to tears because I was suddenly so appreciative of the unity in our church all around the world! I felt such a bond with the people, even in this strange land, especially during the kiss of peace. Ritual speaks to our basic needs, and even without the words, the meaning is present. I will embrace ritual as a precious thing from now on. I am learning to humble myself bit by bit. We all have so much to learn from each other. I thank you all for the enlightenment you offer.
Dear ones, I am keeping your special needs and concerns in my daily prayers-- school, health, family, job issues, and thanking God for His presence in our lives. Amen to G&P's prayer for Denise. Much to pray over, but God is our all-powerful Healer and He hears us when we call.
Am excited to start tomorrow! I only wish we could slow down and savor it all...
Blessings to all,
Jacque
Good morning Wendy and dear GIGs,
The readings, Wendy's teaching, and the posts were just what I needed today. I had underlined all of Wendy's verses and rereading them with her gave me new insight. Thank you, dear Wendy.
Loved what you said about the torn clothing being a public display and to bring the Lord my torn heart.
Update: Begin therapy with Speech Pathologist next Tuesday to learn exercises for my swallowing. Right knee: Cortisone shot wore off last Friday and will see Orthopedic Dr. on Oct 5, hopefully for another cortisone shot. Using a liquid drop medication on knee four times a day. (40 drops each time).
Michelle NE: Thank you for praying for Sarah. Will keep Denise in my prayers.
SAP for your requests.
Have a great Thursday,
Teeny
Hi all,
Just reading through some of the comments today.
I just want to say I am Catholic and I am proud to be one. It's not an easy or popular time to be a Catholic these days. But every church has it's issues.
There are some things posted about our Church that I don't necessarily agree with but it doesn't matter. Our group has always been about our shared love for Christ regardless of our denomination and not about trying to convert one another. I have learned valuable lessons from all of you and I am grateful to spend time with you each day.
Saping for your prayer requests and looking forward to our NT journey ahead! I missed this part last year.
Have a blessed day,
Jodie from Ottawa
Wendy, thanks for pouring out your heart to us today. I pray that the Lord will give you answers in your valley. I am also waiting for answers and after the reading today, will go with a different attitude. I liked the way you said - just between me and God. Sometimes that is the way it has to be, and there will be Beauty from the ashes because Jesus will shine through.
Nancy, LA
Just a quick comment.
I had a little time today and just re-read some of the scripture and my notes, and I am thinking about what you commented on Morgan about tithing. This is something we don't take as seriously as we should in our family. We regularly support our church of course, but we also rely on the idea that the time we give in service has a value (the old adage: more time than money!) But I do think we could be doing more sacrificial giving, giving that wouldn't be coming back in my husband's paycheck every month... I am especially thinking about needy families in our parish. We are thankful to have meaningful work, and this is a way we could offer thanks for God's blessings. I am going to talk this over with my husband. Thanks for giving me that inspiration!
Blessings,
Jacque
Wendy-Thank you for your enthusiasm today.Wonderful.
Joel 3:14 encouraged me as I wait for several people to make a decision about what they will do. Thank You Lord for that word of encouragement.
Also-I will give you back what you have lost. Thank You Lord.
Prophesy,dreams and visions- Happening all around us.
Michelle-keeping your sister Denise in prayer.
We are all HIS special Possession,
Debra
Hey GIGs, Have not commented in a long time but I have been here reading along with you all. This is undoubtedly the most awesome study I have ever been in the Word. Our homework is reading the Word!! How lucky are we?? First that we can read and second that we have a Bible to read. So many throughout the world are not as fortunate. I am having the best time with each of you and reading your comments - which really makes me think and then I have to go back because I missed something!!
Excited about starting the New Testament tomorrow.
I do have a prayer request. My daughter has finally realized that it is all about a relationship with God and is on fire! However, the young man she was dating for the past year is not a believer and they have really had some rough times. She cannot make him understand about God and why she is so excited. Also he believes in evolution and they have gotten into some heated arguments. I know he truly loves her and she loves him but they have broken up now. Pray that God's will be done in this relationship. I have talked with him about his relationship with God to no avail. He thinks I do not value his opinion at all. Which I do but just wish he would go to church. He also mocked God and said our pastor and all of us are crazy and stupid - to our daughter. You just do not make fun of God to her at all. Anyway, please pray for him and that if God wants them together that things will work out for them. Loving all of you. Thanks in advance for the prayers.
Does anyone have an updated list for all the names of God we were keeping this year. I am afraid I have missed some and want to make sure I have them all. Just email me if you do jane@ggc.org. JUST GIVE ME JESUS TOMORROW AND EVERY DAY!!
Celebrating reading the Old Testament through!!!It has given me such a different perspective to read it chronologically (makes more sense to me this way).
Joel is such an exciting book... think I underlined most of the book. Today, I take comfort in "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Joel 2:32)not those who deserve (as no one, least of all me, deserves) but everyone... everyone!
I am one of those everyones.
Gaylene
Post a Comment
Home