I am beginning to appreciate the seven days of silence from Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuite, and Zophar the Naamathite. I mean honestly, they are now starting to talk as much as a bunch of women at a committee meeting.
I see two points worth discussing in today's reading. The first being, sometimes we talk too much. The points we are trying to make are honorable and could be helpful to our friend. I hear myself in this men, talking with the best intentions but never even coming up for air, not wanting to hear silence when silence is exactly what the conversation needs. I don't even sense a pause in these speeches to Job. When offering counsel to a friend in need, can we challenge ourselves to slow down, listen more closely and perhaps even pray together.
Secondly, I hear myself in Job's conversations to the Lord. He is asking for a meeting with God. He has moved from "curse the day I was born" (3:1) to recognizing that humanity is frail and all life is controlled by God. (13:20-14:5) It almost seems that his harsh attitude has softened. He begs God (13:20) to remove His hand of anger from him and explain what is happening. Job must hear his own words while he is talking to God and quickly moves from the softened spirit back to the angered attitude. (14:18-22) I don't think it was the right time to call meeting with the Almighty.
There have been times when I was angry with God and boycotted Him. After a while of avoiding personal contact with Him, trying to get over my anger, I "think" I am ready to approach Him. I start my prayer with the right words and a tone of humilty, almost rather proud of myself that I have "gotten over" how wronged I felt. Then like Job, the longer I am in His presence, the more I speak, the angrier I become. Have any of you ever been in this place?
I am so thankful God looks looks at my heart and does respond to my actions and harsh attitude. His deals with me with such tender mercies, grace, patience and wisdom. Over time the tender mercies, grace, patience and wisdom softens my heart and diffuses my angry attitude so can I hear what He has to say and can become moldable by His nail scarred hands. He recognizes that I am human and does not hold that against me.
Perhaps God is listening showing the same tender mercies, grace, patience in wisdom dealing with our friend Job.
I see two points worth discussing in today's reading. The first being, sometimes we talk too much. The points we are trying to make are honorable and could be helpful to our friend. I hear myself in this men, talking with the best intentions but never even coming up for air, not wanting to hear silence when silence is exactly what the conversation needs. I don't even sense a pause in these speeches to Job. When offering counsel to a friend in need, can we challenge ourselves to slow down, listen more closely and perhaps even pray together.
Secondly, I hear myself in Job's conversations to the Lord. He is asking for a meeting with God. He has moved from "curse the day I was born" (3:1) to recognizing that humanity is frail and all life is controlled by God. (13:20-14:5) It almost seems that his harsh attitude has softened. He begs God (13:20) to remove His hand of anger from him and explain what is happening. Job must hear his own words while he is talking to God and quickly moves from the softened spirit back to the angered attitude. (14:18-22) I don't think it was the right time to call meeting with the Almighty.
There have been times when I was angry with God and boycotted Him. After a while of avoiding personal contact with Him, trying to get over my anger, I "think" I am ready to approach Him. I start my prayer with the right words and a tone of humilty, almost rather proud of myself that I have "gotten over" how wronged I felt. Then like Job, the longer I am in His presence, the more I speak, the angrier I become. Have any of you ever been in this place?
I am so thankful God looks looks at my heart and does respond to my actions and harsh attitude. His deals with me with such tender mercies, grace, patience and wisdom. Over time the tender mercies, grace, patience and wisdom softens my heart and diffuses my angry attitude so can I hear what He has to say and can become moldable by His nail scarred hands. He recognizes that I am human and does not hold that against me.
Perhaps God is listening showing the same tender mercies, grace, patience in wisdom dealing with our friend Job.






12 Comments:
Yes, Job is ranting; but at the same time I think God is infusing his ranting with promises. Job 14: 8-9 and 14-15 highlight truths from God as lived out by Jesus Christ.
8 Though its roots have grown old in the earth and its stump decays,
9 at the scent of water it will bud and sprout again like a new seedling.
14 Can the dead live again? If so, this would give me hope through all my years of struggle, and I would eagerly await the release of death.
15 You would call and I would answer, and you would yearn for me, your handiwork.
I wonder if the still small voice of God was filling Job's mind with these images. I wonder if these passages are some of the things Jesus mentioned to the two on the road to Emmaus when "he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself." (Luke 24:27b). I wonder how many times when we are in a rant, God speaks through our ranting to our hearts in the same way. If we pondered the truths He inserts in our diatribe, I think we would experience peace in the midst of our hurt and our sorrow.
Blessings to you all today,
Karen, CA
I do see myself in Job at times. Its seems I go from one extreme to the other. One minute up the next minute down. I do at times feel guilty because when I am frustrated I tend to "walk away". Not from my Lord but from me asking and pondering and asking and pondering. Thank you Wendy, for reminding me that sometimes I don't need to say anything....I can just be still.
This is so where I am at today~got a phone call from my son's girlfriend's mom and she went on and on and on about how my son is a bad child~I am a little overwhelmed and feel defeated, discouraged, confused...I know what she said is NOT true but I could use some prayer today..he is not perfect but he is NOT bad. Hope it is okay to share my heart and ask for prayer and wisdom.
Thanks!
Raylene
Iowa
Raylene
Consider the source, it is a mommma "protecting" her baby.
Retreat to your throne room and lay it at the Father's feet.
God is Emanuel-He is with you.
Raylene
One more thing: You can always ask for prayer.
Thank you Wendy!! I know, I am feeling the same sense...wanting to protect my baby...and thank you for praying!! The other mom is an atheist and doesn't like that her daughter has been coming to church with us...
Raylene
Have I ever been in this place? Most of the last 12 months! As we went through losing our business, savings, and home, I kept asking why God didn't stop this from happening? My prayers bounced off the ceiling and my husband said it wasn't God, it was satan. But I believe that nothing touches a believer that isn't allowed by God and as we've read this week, God allowed what happened to Job. In my anger I stopped going to church. I just couldn't worship when He allowed this to happen to us. I have softened somewhat and hunger to understand what I believe He has for me in His word. I am reading and listening.
My daughter lisasmith.blospot.com gave me the one year chronological Bible for Christmas so we could read together. This is not the first time for me. It is amazing though that each time I see different words.
First: I know my daughter is in Houston today with Proverbs 31 having lunch. Enjoy!! Can't wait to hear more. Also, December Rose I love your blog.
Second: I think we are so much like Job and his friends saying words but not truly listening to what we are saying.
Third: I would like to add a note going back to January 15th about Joseph and the pit. In Genesis 37:17 when Joseph says "Let us go to Dothan". I looked up Dothan and it was a city on the way to the palace. It was a city with two cisterns. It was also the place where Elisha in II Kings 6:17 prayed for his servants eyes to be opened to see the chariots of fire surrounding them to protect them. What you were saying is so true. When you are in the pit, you have to remember that God is there even though you can't see him. Glad to be on this journey with all of you.
I am so thankful that we serve such a loving and grace-giving God who allows us to tell Him our true thoughts and feelings, yet loves us just the same. He truly is our best friend, never giving unsound advice or ill-advised counsel.
Lord, just please grant us Your patience, as we, like Job, sometimes wait for your answers for days upon end.
I just want to encourage Cheryl that evil does not come from God. Satan is the thief, murder and destroyer. Read St. John 10:10-11
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
It is the comfort of the scriptures that we have hope against hope. Oftentimes, when we don't know what to say, it's best to just to get in God's presence and let him love on us. He neither slumbers nor sleeps, (Psalm 121:4) so he knows everything that is going on in our lives. He may not tell you what the outcome will be, but just knowing that he knows will allow you to rest in his great and precious promises.
Am I asking you to do an easy task? Of course not, however the more you do it and reap the benefits of being with the one who loves you more than you could ever imagine, will be well worth your time as you press your way to bask in his presence!!!
Praying for you!
Debbie - North Carolina
Well I know I have had one of these episodes at least once in my life. The ranting to God, trying to tell Him how to do this and that, then pleading with Him to spare me.
Having bad things happen in our lives is so hard to understand. We keep trying to find a reason, Did we do something, has God foresaken us. God gave me a thougt to ponder about this. He said It's not always that I was reaping from something I had done wrong, sometimes when someone does something to or against me, it is because they are sowing something (bad). God doesn't promise things won't come against us, however he does give us the tools to equip us for battle.
Have a great day!
Lynn - OR
I'm always so thankful that the Psalms include so many emotions that no matter how I feel I can usually find one to pray back to the Lord. The Lord wants us to be honest with Him.
Job 12:4 took my attention today. It says, “…my friends laugh at me, for I call on God and expect an answer.” Being misunderstood. Pain seems compounded when it is delivered to us from those whose faith and beliefs walk the same path as ours. “If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God.” Psalm 55:12-14
When the ridicule comes from family and not foe the pain cuts deep. Criticism, disapproval, judgement or fault-finding can have us sitting with Job. At times we are the target of some dart practice and remarks hit the bulls-eye of our heart and we are viciously wounded. Job's response was to cry out to the Lord and seek His face. “He uncovers mysteries hidden in darkness; he brings light to the deepest gloom.” Job 12:22.
Continuing to seek Him,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home