Redemption
A quick note:
Many of you, I include myself also, have voiced concern about the issue of slavery mentioned in yesterday's reading. I have done some research and will continue to research this sensitive subject. I don't want us to get stuck but to move on. I will make a special Saturday post on the subject. So if it is OK with you all, let's shelf it for now. Ya'll are great! (Could you hear my southern draw?)

I have noticed more than once my 2000 edition of our chronological Bible is different than the 2008 edition you all are reading. Earlier this week the words sacred assemblies were repeated. Your version said holy. Today's reading the word redeem was repeated. An example of this is in verse 13. Your edition says that if a person wishes to buy back something that has been dedicated or sold he or she must pay 20% more than the value.

The word redeem resonated in my heart. The word is rich and full of meaning but when you add the stipulation of the increase in payment if wish to buy it back, the foreshadowing of Christ's redemption for us is enough to give up Holy goose bumps.

When you look at the verse in New American Standard version (which is one of the versions most closely translated to the original Hebrew) you find the word redeem as well. Doing a word study lead me to a surprising definition of the word redeem used in this text.

Dictionary.com defines redeem as to buy back or pay off; theologically: to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner. The original Hebrew word for redeem is ga'al. It means as used in Leviticus 27: to redeem, act as kinsman-redeemer, avenge, revenge, ransom, do the part of a kinsman.

Kinsman-redeemer is an interesting term. Take a moment to hop over to read the full meaning. The kinsman-redeemer was a rich benefactor who had the means of paying for the freedom of family members who had been forced into slavery or property that had been sold. Are you beginning to see the foreshadowing of our kinsman redeemer, Jesus?

A person with the means to buy back something had to pay a cost greater than the value of the item; be it land, home, or person. Our value without Jesus is nothing. We are God's family, the cost He paid in sending our kinsman-redeemer to redeem us for our slavery to sin was far greater than our worth. But Jesus paid it all. When He said, "It is finished" our sin debt was stamped paid in full.

And today, our Redeemer lives. He lives in you and me as the person of the Holy Spirit. Let's celebrate our Redeemer.



11 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

When I was studying the book of Ruth, I learned a lot about the "kinsman redeemer". I am so thankful that my Redeemer lives.

Today I focused on the repetition of "clans and families". They were numbering themselves and being prepared for war. Made me think...what preparations do I make during peaceful times to be prepared for a battle from the evil one?

I'm also pondering how each Israelite tribe camped in a designated area with it's own family banner (Numbers 1:52). What would I want my family banner to say? What emblem would I want to see depicted? Something to think about as I go about my day.

Thanks again Wendy for all you're doing, and have a blessed day everyone,
Joy

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Wendy, Yes I heard the southern drawl and liked it. :) For some reason the video you attached did not come up for me. Was anyone else having trouble. Well today's reading was a little challenging and I even tried to go to a couple of comentaries.
When you are dedicating a house a field or animal to the Lord, was that like a love gift to the Lord? An offering not for sin or guilt but of love and respect? Then my next question, say you dedicate your house, because you are living in it - the priest comes and looks at it tells you it is worth so many shekels then he/you add 20%. Do you then give him that money? Or do you give that money over a period of time, or only if you want the house back? Am I making too much out of this? If so I am sorry.

Okay on a lighter side, it amazes me how many people there were back then, I don't know how or when I got the idea that there weren't that many people. :)

Thank you,
Lynn - Oregon

Blogger December Rose said...

In the hospice care room, a nurse approached me and said, "Is your father redeemed?" I must admit I was momentarily confused. I've heard, "Is he saved?" "Does he know the Lord?" but never "Is he redeemed?"

In today's terms, when we redeem something we are trading in something that is basically worthless for something that is of value.

Sisters, my father is redeemed... he has given up an aged, pain-filled body for a glorious new body in Christ!

I wish I could share what God has done during my final days with my dad here on earth. His passing was peaceful, and God gave me a special gift that Dad is indeed in His care. Wendy, your words were the nail on the coffin (pun intended) that the old is indeed laid to rest, and the sin debt paid-in-full. We have a Redeemer who thinks we are priceless!

Thank you for all the prayers and words of encouragement. There is comfort in knowing others are lifting up prayers on my behalf, especially when my grief is too heavy for words.

In His hands,
Susan

Blogger Karen said...

Dear Susan,

My prayers are with you and your family. I am so happy to hear that your father is redeemed and reconciled with our Father in heaven! Thank you for the update and know that I am sorry for your loss.

My Mother-in-Law also passed away February 13. She too is redeemed and she passed quickly after she decided not to go through anymore chemo. It is a comfort to my husband and his family to know that she is free from pain and in the presence of Jesus.

Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Karen, CA

Blogger Karen said...

Wendy and all,

In today's reading I was struck by Lev. 27:29 No person devoted to destruction may be ransomed; he must be put to death.

What do they mean? The footnote in the NIV says (about destruction): The Hebrew term refers to the irrevocable giving over of things or persons to the LORD, often by totally destroying them.

How can a person be specially set apart for the Lord (verse 28)? Is this something families would do? I do see it as a foreshadowing of Christ (wholly dedicated to God, not able to be bought back, and faithful unto death) but I don't see how it worked in the Laws at the time of Leviticus.

Thanks for your insight!

Karen, CA

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My redeemer lives! Celebrating today my Redeemer! Thank you for the song, Wendy...Loved your comments, Susan! Thank you for sharing your insights. My prayers are with you and your family and I'm thankful that through loss you've experienced a peace that only God can give.

Love you all,
Lori - Mesa, AZ

Blogger Joanie Butler said...

1st to Susan ~ I just want to pass on my sorrow for the loss of your Dad. But I also want to say, "What a wonderful gift it is when we are by our loved ones who are redeemed when they pass into the hands of the Father." Cherish those memories of your Dad and pass on the legacy of faith that he left to you. (I know that you will!!)

And to all. . .

I'm praising my Redeemer and dancing around the house with Him while cleaning today. Anyone care to join me? Jesus does a great waltz step!!

Blogger Unknown said...

Wendy,

I had just shared on my blog about my struggles as I read through the "one year chronological" Bible.....finding Leviticus hard to take at times....honestly praying that God would somehow enlighten me. Animal sacrifices. Something hard for me to wrap my mind around.

Then someone commented that I should come to your blog! YIPPEE!

I am going to bookmark this for daily insight and conversation and tell my mom! She is trying to read through the same Bible and we talk often about how God seemed so different then than now.

Have a great day!

Love,

Tammy Nischan

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too Karen got stuck on 27:29 "No person specially set apart for destruction may be bought back. Such a person must be put to death."
Is this referring to who is pre-determined to go to hell? I just was not sure how to read that verse. I don't like thinking about those things so I'll just trust our just and perfect God on that one!
Morgen - MN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we have a "Kinsman Redeemer"!
Jesus paid it all, all to him I owe, sin has left a crimson stain, Jesus washes me white as snow.
Susan, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and my heart is joyful your father received Christ!
Wendy, thanks again for your time with us.

Blessings,

Debbie - North Carolina

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Susan,
I lost my Mom 3 years ago and someone told me it was her Graduation day. I too am grateful she is not in pain an is dancing with Jesus. I do also know that you will miss your Father and I pray for peace for you and your family.
Blessings,
Lynn

Post a Comment

Home