Divison in the Family
"A messenger soon arrived in Jerusalem to tell David, "All Israel has joined Absalom in a conspiracy against you!" 2 Samuel 15:13

Nothing cuts deeper than a family feud, especially that of a child against a parent. Absalom whose name means "peace of my father" never reconciled his anger to find peace with his father. Even after he and David reconciled face to face the anger was still there. He deliberately plotted against his father. Unchecked and harbored anger is a terrible thing. Absalom's actions have sent David on the run once again, this time the enemy he is running from is his very own son.

Sometimes it is easier to reconcile differences with friends or co-workers, someone you don't whose life is not connected to your life in a deeply personal way. What is the saying, "we hurt the ones we love most"? This family strife and heartache David is experiencing is a direct result of his sin with Bathesba. Nathan revealed to David the consequences of his sin. (2 Samuel 12:11-12) This prophecy is fulfilled in our day's reading.

Several years ago we had a few issues that arose and caused division among my family. Both sides felt they were equally justified at being angry at the other. Division set in, people took sides, and family gatherings were changed dramatically. I am not entirely sure the gatherings are the same or ever will be but it seems we when we gather around the table for a meal or Christmas tree to celebrater the Savior's birth, we have all moved past the problems that started it all to make the most of our family.

Could the head of the ugly "family feud fiend" rear its ahead again? You better belief it. The way to prevent its' presence is to keep the forgiveness and reconciliation at the forefront of our heart and mind. Don't allow anything or anyone to disturb family harmony, especially family itself.


9 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

The ugly face of unforgiveness continues. So sad. Too often we offer conditional, partial or delayed forgiveness when the Lord wants us to forgive fully.

I love this quote by Ken Gire, "It has been said that forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that crushed it. Could there be a fragrance so sweet in all the world as that of Jesus washing the very heel that was poised to crush him?" (refering to Christ washing Judas feet).

Charles Swindoll writes that we can offer forgiveness in tough situations by: 1. Keeping our vertical focus clear. Take any offense to God immediately; and 2. Remain aware of our own failure. This requires humility. "The humbled forgiven make good forgivers."

Sadly, we sit on the judgement seat more than the mercy seat.

Unforgiveness stole eleven years of Absalom's life. Praying the Lord will help me to be quick to offer forgiveness,
Joy

Anonymous Lori said...

Little could David have understood when he gazed upon the beautiful Bathsheba. His self-indulgence & the awful consequences that we see playing out, continue today. It is sad to read about David - disappointed & running barefoot, weeping, & fleeing to Jerusalem, in fear of his own son. What stuck out to me here was that David did not judge or have the desire to take revenge. Even tho his son, Absalom, was trying to take over his kingdom by leading a revolt! David was worried about Jerusalem. He did not want a bloody war in this City of God.

With everything going on around him, "David prayed." In the midst of all the turmoil, "David prayed." I just loved that!

When we are in the middle of something and don't know what direction to take, what should we do? Pray.

LORD, I pray today that when a situation comes up that causes me to have a conflict with another person, I will make the choice to follow your Biblical advice. I do not want to harbor any ill-will feelings towards another individual in my heart. I do not want to become angry, or hold a grudge, or become bitter and resentful. I want to forgive whole-heartily. Forgiveness is a choice. Help me never to forget this when a situation comes up. Thank you LORD, for your precious Word that shows us how to live. I love you with all of my heart. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Matthew 6 14, 15 (NIV)
"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

Dear sisters...have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY seeking God through your day! Love you all! Lori - AZ

Blogger Chanan said...

After researching the word 'forgive' in the scripture look up, Numbers 14:18 popped out at me;
"The Lord is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet He does not leave the guilty unpunished, He punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generations".
We as Christians know that God's word has to be fulfilled. It shall not be returned to Him void, but accomplishes that which it has set out to do, even if it's in a disciplinary form! I agree with you Wendy, there is a direct relationship between David's sin with Bethsheba and his family fued.
Another thought......David had so many examples that he could have learnt from, but he let the flesh get the better part of him......even the greatest of them all fall weak to the flesh!

Lord, we praise you in the midst of any temptation we are facing, knowing you have the power to break its hold on us. Help us to walk in the Spirit so that we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Be blessed all
Chanan
Bahamas

Blogger Karen said...

Between Christmas and Lent, the women's Bible study at my church completed a study of the book (and film) "The Power of Forgiveness" which takes a look at forgiveness from many different angles and focuses on many events such as the Nickle Mine school tragedy in the Amish community, the holocost, and individual situations such as rape. It was a very good and thought provoking study. As we discussed this topic, it became clear to us that the power for forgiveness comes from God. We are incapable of forgiving by ourselves. We need, as Joy said, to take our offenses to God imediately and ask for His strength to work through us. We need to stand ready and open to forgive. I find that I daily pray this prayer;

Lord, teach me to forgive as you have forgiven me. May the words "forgive me my tresspasses, as I forgive those who tresspass against me" have meaning to me and make them true. I know I cannot forgive in my own power, but you have taken all of the debt of sin from everyone of your created beings, and nailed them to the cross by your death and resurrection. Lord, I cannot grasp the full meaning of this, but I know that you stand as judge and saviour, not I. Please keep me mindful of your grace and let me show grace to everyone in my life, even those who hurt me. - Amen.

Some passages from today that struck me, were the passages where David walked up the road to the Mount of Olives (Garden of Gethsemane) 2 Samuel 15:30-32. He was weeping as he went, and his head was covered and feet bare; a sign of mourning. The summit of the Mount of Olives was known as a place where the people worshipped God. Might it also have been the place where the Son of God wept bitter tears and handed His life to His father? Just past the the summit, Ziba meets the king and gives him donkeys, bread, fruit and wine. "The wine is for those who be come exhausted in the wilderness." (2 Samuel 16:2) Just as the blood of our saviour, shed for us revives us in our time of exhaustion. I think these passages were to show us the presence of God's forgiving nature even in the absence of our human inclination to forgive.

Thanks for your insights today and all week!

Karen, CA

Blogger Paula said...

There's a lot of "should’na's" been goin’ on here......
David should’na slept with Bathsheba (and had Uriah killed).
Amnon should’na raped Tamar.
Absolom should’na killed Amnon.
David should’na ignored EVERYTHING!
Absalom should’na turned against his father.
Ahithophel should’na encouraged him.
David should’na stopped seeking God.

I have a few should’na's in my life, don’t you? And I wonder, if we would just seek God – simply, humbly, unconditionally (no strings attached), how much different would our lives be?

Finally, after all of the heckling from Shimei (son of Gera from the same clan as Saul's family), David and his men grew weary so they rested at the Jordan River - time for some fruitcake and wine !!! HA - couldn't resist that one! (Sorry Girls, but I like both - fruitcake and wine - though not necessarily together!)

Blogger December Rose said...

Sisters, I am back (again)! I was at a work conference and it was wonderful. One the workshops I went to was led by Henry Blackaby himself! The speaking pastor and worship leader were from First Baptist Church of Orlando - what an uplifting, encouraging week it has been. Nonetheless, it is good to be back in the fellowship of my accountability sisters :)Although I continue to read daily, it is not the same as sharing insights with all of you!

My nugget was David's prayer, "O Lord, let Ahithophel give Absalom foolish advice." (2 Sam 15:31b)I once met a woman who didn't approve of her daughter's boyfriend. She prayed that this young man would have an unpleasant odor about him. At first I thought, "That's crazy!" but I realized she was allowing God to do battle for her! Had she confronted her daughter it would have led to rebellion and division in their relationship.

David's urgency to leave meant he wasn't clueless about Absalom's true rebellious nature... David allowed God to do battle for him. "For the Lord had determine to defeat the counsel of Ahithophel, which really was the better plan, so that he could bring disaster to Absalom." (2 Sam 17:14b)

Anonymous Morgen said...

Oh December Rose, welcome back! I just said to myself yesterday, "wonder where December Rose is?"

I noticed today that Mephibosheth plotted to get Saul's kingdom back from David. That dirty bird! And after all David has done for him!

Yet how ungrateful we can be too. I think how much I take my mom for granted, or my husband and kids. When things go good for us we expect it to be the norm and stay that way always. I want to be a more gracious, thankful, appreciative person. Lord, help me!
Morgen - MN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ladies,

I still reading and enjoying your comments! My job will be in full swing from here until the end of June, so I may not be able to post and read until late evening.

Morgen, I too was surprised by Mephibosheth's plan to take back the kingdom.

David's life seems to be in a downward spiral at this point. After all his "God moments" he finds himself running from his own son.

Father, help us to live our lives so our future generations will not have to suffer for the choices we make out of a desire to fulfil our flesh.

Blessings!

Debbie - North Carolina

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I have a hard time forgiving I visualize Jesus hanging on the Cross, beaten, humiliated, broken and saying to the Father, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do". Sometimes it works immediately but the bigger things that really hurt usually take a little time. We have to forgive to be forgiven and I have a lot to be forgiven for so what right do I have as one that has been forgive much to not forgive another.

Post a Comment

Home