"So David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam." 1 Samuel 22:1
David has had a lot happen in his life since he was anointed as the future King of Israel. He was asked to be harp player for the King, slayed a giant, gained great fame, got married, and now finds himself hiding in a cave. David has gone from the heights of fame to the depths of fear. His response to his sudden change of altitude amazes me.
The word Adullam means refuge. Ironically, it is believed this cave was very close to his victory over Goliath. Many times we find ourselves in the need of refuge in proximity of our biggest victories. David cries out to the Lord. David has seen and experienced the Lord's faithfulness. In this cave of refuge he recounts what he knows about the Lord.
- He will fulfill his purpose for me.
- He will send help from heaven to rescue me.
- God will send forth His unfailing love and faithfulness.
By the end of the his Psalm, David is full. He is praising not petitioning the Lord. Recounting God's faithfulness has helped David realize that his refuge is not in a cave but is in the Lord. As you read the Psalm his words build. He has no other choice but to respond to his Refuge with his own list of I wills.
- I will wake the dawn with my song.
- I will thank you, Lord, among the people.
- I will sing your praises among the nations.
- I will always trust in God's unfailing love.
- I will praise you, forever O God.
- I will trust in your good name.
The word name is the Hebrew word shem. It means name, reputation, fame, glory. David was trusting in the reputation, fame, and glory of God. What a great example for us to follow! When the enemy is hot pursuit right on our heels, run to The Refuge and trust in His reputation, fame, and glory.






16 Comments:
I love how the word "cave" is also called "stronghold". And then how David refers to God as his stronghold all throughout Psalms.
One example: Psalm 18:2 (NIV)
"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Thanks Wendy!
Ah...when petitions turn to praise. If only we could truly rejoice always and give thanks in all things. Desired by God, but so difficult for us.
This morning my thoughts focused around a verse you referred to here: Psalm 57:8, "I will wake the dawn with my song."
Almost every morning lately, the first thing I hear after our alarm jolts me awake, is the sound of birds welcoming the morning. Their songs cascade through the silence. I enjoy laying in bed, eyes still closed, listening to their praise to their Creator. Even rain doesn't silence their melody. It rises and falls through the storm as they rejoice always.
Oh, to live like these feathered friends. Not fair weather worshippers of God, but singing His praise all day, regardless of feelings and situations. We don't sing because things are good, but because God is good. He cannot change Who He is...He is always good. He cannot be other than who He is, and that is good.
I desire to wake each dawn with my song. Anyone want to sing a duet with me today?
(Steve Green sings a beautiful song entitled, "Awake" based on this verse. You can read the lyrics here: http://www.stevegreenministries.org/lyrics/index.php?song=67 )
Let's not only awaken the dawn with a song, but offer one all day long.
Clearing my throat,
Joy
One thing I am loving about reading this Chronological Bible is the way it incorporates the Psalms David wrote into the settings in which they were written. It is making them more meaningful and shows David's heart. Thanks Wendy for great insights each and every day.
Joyful I loved your "sing like the birds" reflection! A couple of lines ahead of "I will wake the dawn with my song" it states: "wake up, my heart!" That's gotta happen first before I can sing. I can wake up (my eyes, my head, my body) in the morning, roll out of bed and start my routine of potty, brush teeth, shower, etc...but do we take a moment to let our hearts wake up to His amazing love and what He's done for us? WAKE UP MY HEART! I love it.
Hey Deb...did you notice "the rest of the story" regarding Doeg the Edomite? Once you mentioned it yesterday....it jumped off the page for me! It's so enjoyable reading this with you gals.
Have a good Thursday.
Morgen
I too am enjoying the Psalms mixed in. Beautiful, expressive words-David always let God's tender and personal affection control his attitude. When he was under distress he went right to God...He truly walked with God through the good and the bad. All his trust was in God!
I love verse 57:1.
"I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the danger passes by." In the shadow of God's wings is found the sweet protection of His great love and the comfort that only trusting Him can bring.
Such good reading today, girls! I'm going to spend some time lifting you up in prayer...
Love you all! Thank you, Wendy*!*
and lovely girlfriends!!!
Lori - AZ
PS Morgen, Doeg popped off the page to me too! :)
I feel like I need to hide under the shadow of God's wings today. God is definitely my stronghold today. Life can be so tough sometimes. Hopefully I can learn how to worship him even in the hard times. I'm in the valley now, but I have to continue to trust and know that God wants me to walk through this so I can be on the mountain!
Morgen, I rarely have time to come back and visit the comments these days, but just had a few moments, and I love what you said about first having our heart wake up!
Song of Solomon 5:2 says, "I slept but my heart was awake". That reminds me of Psalm 16:7, "I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me."
Lord, re-awaken my heart today with praise and love for You!
I love how David is encouraging "himself" over and over again of God's unfailing love and his protection for his life.
When our eyes are upon the Lord, we can sing with David. My heart is confident in you, O God; my heart is confident. Psalm 57:7
Thanks for all your comments!
Blessings!
Debbie - North Carolina
I also camped out at the fact that David began calling the cave his "stronghold." The change in names is so powerful.
After running and hiding ourselves in the power of Jesus, we often find over time that He becomes our stronghold - the place we desire to go and rest, away from harm.
Here's to hiding today in God safe "stronghold" and in God's loving "strong hold."
Hey Girls,
I have a heavy heart today and hope you don't mind if I share what is going on in our little town.
As you may remember, I have shared how we have a women's group that is made up of women from the various churches (denominations) in our community. This has been a wonderful way to bring us together.
One of the church groups, recently pumped gas and cleaned windows at a local gas station as a way to serve the community. They visited with people, inviting some to a special service to be held Good Friday and Saturday night. Although we are not members, we were excited to attend...once again seeing it as a wonderful opportunity to gather with fellow christians.
The service on Good Friday was awesome...we went back for Saturday's service. The Spirit of God was present in this full house; many lives were changed I am certain. Yet, calamity struck two days ago...some of the members of the church did not like the direction the church was headed. By the way, these people were not present for the Friday and Saturday night service...and come to think of it...they weren't at the gas station. Anyway, they met on Tuesday night to vote out the pastor and those who participated in the "new direction".
My heart just aches...the self destruction of people I know and care about. As we attended our own church for Bible Study last night, I asked for prayer concerning this particular congreagation... I have cried, my heart feels broken,...I am burdened for the lives that are affected. In this small town...our school, a K-12 has only 240 students...a good portion of them attended the youth group here...the kids are shaken as well as their parents...it is soooo sad. Please keep them in prayer as they gather the wounded and look to move forward.
Much love,
Nancy
Dear Anonymous yes, keep walking his presence is with you even if you are unable to feel Him...He may be even carrying you. (One set of footprints in the sand) There is a light of hope at the end of the tunnel...keep wathing for it. Once you have come through start looking for the positive in the outcome. Always something to learn about ourself and how it brings us closer and strengthens our relationship with God. Praying for you today. Debbie
Morgen...Boy did I ever read the rest of the story...Just knew he was mentioned for some reason...I just wished it wasn't the reason we found out about today!
Perhaps we will be hearing more about Abiathar the only surviving son of the priest Abimelech.
David seems to be feeling remorse that he caused the death of Abiathar's family. He even states that he saw Doeg the Edomite and David even says that he was sure Doeg would tell Saul. Did David want Saul to find out...to show that God was indeed with David?
David's Psalm 52
It says to me...you may think you have won this battle but you have not...remember what happens to those warriors who don't put their trust in God. My family lineage is like strong roots planted in Heaven. My praise, love, trust and faithfulness remains with God forever. And I judge in the last line of Psalm 52 David is saying he will be an example of this to God's faithful people. He will succeed. Good will conquer evil in the end.
Enjoy your day ladies...It's sunny and 65 in Illinois today...tomorrow it's 70! Praise God Spring has Sprung here!
Love from Debbie in Illinios
Hightly Favored
Glory! Glory! Glory! I'm rejoicing in being reminded that I have a hiding place. A safe haven under the wings of the almighty. I will trust in the Lord he "WILL" make a way to escape.Thank you God for all that you are in my life help me to always look to you.
Hightly Favored
Glory! Glory! Glory! I'm rejoicing in being reminded that I have a hiding place. A safe haven under the wings of the almighty. I will trust in the Lord he "WILL" make a way to escape.Thank you God for all that you are in my life help me to always look to you.
Lutiemom, I hear your heart...it is so disheartening when Satan messes up something that is going toward God. He splits so many churches. I will be praying for your community, for you and especially for the young people...this can make them turn from church and God and turn to the world, at a time when they need the grounding in their faith.
So much in today's reading to think about. BTW, Doeg turns up later after David is finally crowned king. He hasn't been forgotten. Retaliation belongs to God.
Nancy,
I hear your heart and I'm sorry that Satan is having his hay-day at this particular church...Oh, this is the very thing that repulses the non-believers...why Christians fall into this...to become so divided. I have been praying for your community today and will continue...God's call for His church, to live in unity, is essential. We are to live in harmony with each other. Letting no divisions in the church take place. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.
I Cor. 1:10.
I'm saddened for all of the lives this is touching. May your little group of women continue to meet and pray. Ya'll have someone more powerful than Satan living in YOU and He will hear your prayers.
May our actions and words encourage rather than hinder unity in our own home churches. May we lift issues up to the LORD that we are tempted to gossip about.
Lori - AZ
Hi ladies,
I am still here and keeping up and in prayer for you. My mind is just not coming up with much this week. But I am loving the sharing.
Blessings,
Diane
Post a Comment
Home