Good Things
"Oh, that my people would listen to me!" Psalm 81:13

Contrary to the belief of some, our God is a God who longs to bless His children. He came to give us an abundant life, a life of fullness and pleasure. He is not a knit-picky God sitting on this throne waiting to bring calamity and hardship to His children everytime they fail. However, He is a God who longs for His children to listen to Him. Our reading thus far has repeatedly highlighted two expectations God has of His children: obedience and bowing to no other gods. For what little He asks He offers ten-fold in return.
We see a different side of God in Psalm 81. This side of God lets His children follow their own stubborn ways. He tries through grace and discipline to draw us back to Him but there comes a time when He will let us go our own way. Through His sovereignity God allows us to go with the unreasonable and unmoveable ways of our heart.
Remember the repent, rescue, repeat cycle the Israelites found themselves in? God gave them over to their enemies because of their sinful and willful disobedience. God did not completely turn His back on the Israelites just as He will never completely turn His back on us. He is always close to rescue us when we cry. However, if a pattern of sinful and willful disobedience accompanied by an unrepentive heart continues in our lives He will allow us to follow our own stubborn ways. After following our unreasonable and unmoving ways, we will realize our need for Him and repent of our sin. He will lovingly restore us to Himself.
After His emotional "if only" cry in verse 13, God shares what would happen to His children if they would only listen to Him. The benefits to obeying the Lord and laying down false gods far exceeds the list given Psalm 81. According to Ephesians 3:20 the benefits are immeasureable. I like a benefits package that is not able to be measured. What about you?
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us."


5 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

I am so thankful that God does not abandon me and that His ways are higher and He can do immeassureably more than I can ask or imagine. Thank you Wendy for the reminder of these truths that provide an anchor today.

Psalm 80:17 says, "Strengthen the man you love..." Those five words became my prayer for my Dad this morning. So as not to take up too much space here, (and you know I can :o) feel free to visit and read the latest update here: http://ponderinginhispresence.blogspot.com/2009/05/strength.html . We are currently still waiting his transfer to a long term care facility.

Today I am praying that I will not only listen to His voice, but obey.

Blessings, prayers and hugs,
Joy

Blogger Joyful said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning Girls,

There remain so many benefits to obeying God, and there is so little he asks of us. He leads us because he knows our tomorrows and only He knows what is best for us.

If we could just not go our own waywardness, and enjoy the goodness God so freely offers us. What blessedness to live day-to-day in God's presence. My desire is to walk everyday in His truth.

We cling to:
The Word of God
Prayer

What power we have when these become our way of life! Psalm 81:10 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it." (NIV)
Trust.
It boils down to this...trusting God. To be able to trust in the LORD alone for all of life's needs.
I'd like guidance as far in advance as possible! But, I need to be content walking with God one step at a time. How many times do I find myself wanting to see beyond the next turn in the road, before I am willing to go ahead? Or, how many times do I race ahead on my own without praying or waiting on the Lord's leading? Looking back over my life I can praise God, for He has always been there for me. Always. Always. By now, I should be able to whole-heartily trust that God knows what is best for me!

LORD, have your way with me. You are my God. Your words are alive and active in me. Today, I'm believing you! Amen.

Make it a great day, girls!
Hugs, Lori - AZ

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Hey, Wendy! This was powerful! Thank you for the reminder that our God can do immeassureabvly more than we can ask or imagine! That one simply blows my little feeble mind away!!

BTW, I FINALLY have a chronological BIble that is dated and is an NLT!! Woohoo!! Early birthday present which I am reading with fervor! Love it!

Hugs,
Susan

Anonymous Morgen said...

Wendy, your comments today go along wonderfully with David Jeremiah's devotional for today. He asks us to examine where our treasure is: in watching TV/doing hobbies/hanging with friends/working etc...
God loves us right where we are, but there comes a time in the relationship where He begins to have us confront our false gods. That which rules our heart.
Don't let anything stand in the way of God having full access to our hearts.

nice n warm in MN
Morgen

Post a Comment

Home