Own Your Own Faith
"All his life Joash did what was pleasing to the LORD's sight because Jehoiada the priest instructed him." 2 Kings 12:2

Joash, the son of King Ahaziah became king at the ripe old age of 7. Does that stun anyone besides me? Seven-years old and you are appointed the king of Judah? Talk about pressure. He was probably too young to realize the pressure and God in his great mercy provided a mentor for him in the person of Jehoiada. The good things Joash accomplished were due to the positive influence of the Jehoiada.

Being a spiritual mentor is a big job. It is a huge commitment. Sometimes you become a mentor without really wanting the job. There are others who feel lead to voluntarily offer themselves to help others grow in maturity in Christ. Dictionary.com defines a mentor as a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.

The purpose of this wise and trusted counsler or teacher is to lead the mentee to a place of maturity in which they are ready to spread their wings to fly solo, to walk the walk of faith on their own. I am sure this is what Jehoiada had in mind when he started advicing Joash at such a young age. The hope was for Joash to be a become a strong king who lead his people in the way of the Lord. How disappointed Jehoiada would have been to know that Joash's faith and leadership was only strong because he was alive to guide him.

It is important that we did not borrow or piggy-back on the faith of those wise and trusted counselors and teachers we look up to. Borrowed faith will fail in a crisis every time. Real, personal, and geniune faith, a faith you can call your own will hold you up during crisis. It will point those who are watching you to the Source of your strength. It will be your light in the dark, your lamp that leads your way. It will be there when your wise and trusted teacher is not.

How do you make your faith your own? Take the Word and way of the Lord personal. Meditate on it day and night (Joshua 1:8) until it becomes second nature to you. How long does this take? Until He calls us home. It will be the greatest adventure of your life.


7 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

"Until He calls us home." A daily abiding and surrender.

Good stuff. :)

Thank you Wendy! :)

Blogger Karen said...

Dear Wendy,

Wow! Today's reading was so rich! Joash named king of Judah at age 7, so young and yet the description of his coronation echoed of the Revelation descriptions of Jesus on the throne (Revelations: 4-5), particularly striking to me was 2 Kings 11:14 - she saw the newly crowned king standing in his place of authority by the pillar, as was the custom at times of coronation. The commanders and trumpeters were surrounding him, and people from all over the land were rejoicing and blowing trumpets.

How immeasurably sad that Joash, who leaned on the godly works of Jehoiada, repaid him by killing his son! Of course that also is a shadow of things to come.

On a personal note, as I have been researching our move to Switzerland, I discovered that Switzerland, like much of northern Europe, has a Church Tax. I was stunned (you know, separation of church and state…)! It appears that this tax pays for the church, the salaries of the pastors (or priests), and all other routine church expenses. The offerings gathered during the services all go to charitable organizations. This was a very new concept for me and one I struggled with yesterday. So today, when I read 2 Chronicles 24:6-9, it was like God put that there just for me! "Moses, the servant of the Lord, levied this tax on the community of Israel in order to maintain the Tabernacle of the Covenant." Okay, I can agree to that! Isn't it great how God reaches out and speaks to us very personally even today through His word!

Ladies, I just caught up on yesterday's posts. Diane, welcome back! Deborah, thank you and now I name you and your son in my prayers. Joy, such great news! Lori, you and your family are in my prayers. Nancy, AMEN!

Have a great day Ladies!

Karen, CA

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had 2 moments of awe in our reading today. The first was when Jehoiada had the commanders surround Joash with spears and shields that had been stored in the Temple of the Lord. Weapons ready. A long, strong line. All around the altar. I envisioned God's mighty heavenly army doing this for me at times I'm not even aware of.
The second moment of awe was when I read about the people surrounding their king, rejoicing with song, dance, and trumpets. A real celebration fit for a king. Can you imagine what the celebration is gonna be like when we first lay eyes on our King? Woohoo and woweee!! I cannot wait!
Morgen

Blogger Deb said...

My eyes were drawn to: As the spirit of the Lord falls upon Zechariah, "This is what God says, Why do you disobey the Lord's commands and keep yourselves from prospering. You have abandoned the Lord (once again) and now he has abandoned you!" 2 Chronicles 24:1-16

NIV says, "This is what God says: Why do you disobey the Lord's commands? You will not prosper. Because you have forsaken the Lord, he has fosaken you."

Prosper means to succeed, to do well.

We really are not too different from the Lord's people in those days. Such a pattern we have of being in and out of relationship with the Lord through time.

We have blogged many times about this before and how easy it is to abandon God for other "gods" that separate us from our time and relationship with Him.

So it is another call to REMEMBER. Why do you suppose we always forget how much better we handle the ups and downs of our life when we are in relationship with Him? I struggle with the verse that says, "and now he abandons you."

It isn't God that abandons me when I disobey or move away from our relationship it's me who abandons Him. It may seem like He has abandoned us in our valley times in life. We may not be able to feel His presence or that He is no where to be found. Or when we feel disappointed or angry or sad when our prayers are not answered the way we felt they should of been. We ask Why? Where were you when I needed you? Like the footprints in the sand poem says...it was I who carried you through those storms.

I choose to believe He stands firm by my side longing for my return. It doesn't take too long to return. My life is so much better when I put it into His hands. I prosper within each time. I am able to handle the ups and downs of life so much better...He crowns my efforts with success. He gives me strength and confidence in what He calls me to do. REMEMBER, REMEMBER, REMEMBER.

As we all walk along this Bible Study together and post our golden nuggets, insites, comments, struggles, questions, prayers, trials, and even the joys you all help me to REMEMBER...what it is, and why we need to be in Relationship with Him.

Giving thanks for your time and fellowship...you all lift His spirit within and stir my soul.

Thinking of all of you...praying that your needs of today are met for each one.

Love from Illinois Debbie

Anonymous Lori said...

Posting a bit later today, as my days have not been my own. :) But, there is just so much I want to share and not the time or space. Words you all have written have helped me so very much.

Miracles came about with my dad...I kept praying and feeling God's peace around me knowing that whatever happened would be part of God's plan. He is moving to his first choice today which is about 2 miles from my house! So, no longer will I be living on the freeway! This is a rehab care center where he will be one to two weeks. The doc did not want him to go home because he lives alone. Kimi made it back safe to Yuma. She's still numb but it is not worse.

Now, I had the most amazing light bulb moment this morning from God. I've been seeking God for harmony within my family. God actually showed me the verses I've been praying over my grandma (in her new assisted living place) were verses He wanted me to pray over my family...well, this morning I was praying my heart out to God, telling him honestly my feelings towards my mother. Telling him that I know I'm suppose to honor her, but that it is so hard when she is so self-centered, judgmental, and insecure....well, he made me aware of the evil on my own heart! I'm judging her too just by saying this about her! As hard as I try, the thoughts keep coming in. Especially, since she's the one Christian in our family! My bro & sister are saved, but just don't walk the same walk,ya know what I mean! So, this morning I'm praying and asking God to help me. I'm the glue that seems to hold everyone together. I was just born looking at the bright side of things...it was all part of God's plan...Guess what He told me???
He said, little daughter of mine, look at your mother through My Eyes! Not through your own selfish earthly eyes! My. My. My. Did I ever get excited! To see her the way He does! He loves her. He's transforming me bit by bit to see in her what He sees. I actually called her up and we had the best talk discussing this. I was able to talk in a way that did not offend her. She listened! Oh my dear blogger friends...when we go to God and we seek Him, He always comes thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not the way we think He will, but it is always better than we'd imagined. I will not settle for disharmony in my family. The enemy is trying his best to separate my mother and myself and we are the praying ones...she's a prayer warrior and I know I'm here for a reason to help her through her insecurities and worries.

I loved what you wrote today Wendy...so, so true. to be in God's Word, to always go back to God's truth. Daily I pray that God's Word will become more and more alive and active within me.

It is such an honor to be praying for you all...so many of you are in my daily prayers and I feel like I know you so well. Won't the Day be Glorious when we are all face to face. Glorious!!!!!!!

Joy, I just know things are going to work out. I know because God loves your daddy more than you do, and He knows what is best. It is all apart of His plan. Just knowing this brings joy and peace to my heart...

Thank you dear girlfriends for your MANY golden nuggets! I'm richly blessed by getting to know each and everyone one you this year. Praise you Jesus for our dear Wendy Pope who has obeyed and served us all!
Much love, Lori - AZ
PS Dad's heart does not have a tick...it is not the "mechanical" kind...the doctor just said his valve was "worn out." That is why they replaced it.

Blogger Joyful said...

Lori, I am so excited to read about your Dad. It gives me hope in our waiting. No news today, but I know God is able. I'm waiting to get off the hiway too, and have Dad closer to home.

Wendy, after reading your post, I took time to reflect on the mentors who have influenced my life. People who have spent time pouring into my life so that I could "fly solo" and walk my faith on my own. So thankful to those who have taken time to help me grow spiritually.

Deb, the verse you wrote about is the one that spoke to me today as well. "'You have abandoned the LORD, and now he has abandoned you!'" 2 Chronicles 24:20

Did that sentence make your breath catch in your throat like it did mine? The thought of being abandoned by the Lord is unimaginable. No, Lord. Please never abandon me.

Have you ever been there? Have you endured a dark night of the soul? Have you ever wondered if God had withdrawn His presence from you? You know those are just feelings...right? God's Word tells me that He will NEVER leave me or forsake me. That's a promise I can hold on to during times when God seems distant.

He is my all in all. I throw my head back and sing with unreserved passion, I can't live a day without You.

The lyrics to the song, "I can't live a day without You" by Avalon are echoing in my heart. (Click here to hear their song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGCQnwn2hIQ )

Blessings,
Joy

Blogger Chef Diane said...

I am posting very late tonight, it has been a very long day. As I have thought about the reading I walked away with ...

Even though Joash became king at the age of 7, he was able to do it with faith. God did provide the mentor, but the story wasn't about the mentor. It was about how the mentor was just a piece of the puzzle.

I was reading something else today with similar references. It made me realize how thankful I am for the trials that come my way. Because it reveals to me how well I stand in my faith, as where I still fail.

Wendy I love what you said about borrowed faith, this is so true.

Sleep well sisters,
Diane

Post a Comment

Home