"And Jeroboam instituted a religious festival in Bethel, held on the fifteenth day of the eight month, in imitation of the annual Festival of Shelters in Judah."
I Kings 12:32
I Kings 12:32
The 1968 Marvin Gaye hit, Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing is echoing in my mind as I reflect on the events that occurred in chapter 12 of 1 Kings. My heart is grieved for the Lord. It is as if all of these events just took place yesterday and I am hearing the news for the first time. But they did not. This occurred long ago in the past however I still can not help feel a heaviness in my heart for how the Lord must have felt when once again His children worshiped other gods, disobeying His commands. Then I realize this did just happen yesterday, and the day before and the day before and continues to happen. We are God's children and everyday we choose to give our allegiance to another god that we have erected and worship in places of convenience.
Our reading called it "an imitation." It is hard to find a good imitation. The first thing I think of is imitation chocolate chips for homemade cookies or imitation vanilla flavoring in a homemade pound-cake. It just isn't right. Webster defines imitation as designed to imitate or make counterfeit of a genuine or superior article or thing. Jeroboam (remember was told by God he would rule 10 tribes) felt threatened in his authority because the children of Israel were going to Jerusalem , where Rehoboam ruled, to make sacrifices and to attend the Festival of Shelters. He decided to make it more convenient for them to offer sacrifices by erecting gold calves and to worship by bringing the Festival to them, creating an imitation-a counterfeit to the genuine thing. The people fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I thought to myself, "how gullible." How quickly I was convicted.
The real thing costs more. Real vanilla is more expensive than imitation vanilla. The rich, smooth taste of Ghiradelli real chocolate chips is far superior to a knock-off, less expensive store brand. When you put real in, the outcome is much better, richer, and more satisfying.
Christians today are just as guilty as the Israelites of yesterday. We settle. We look for the quickest route to worship; watching church TV, listening to CDs in our car, or going to early worship service so we can get to the lake or the links before the crowd.
Please hear my heart. I love watching church on television and listening to sermons on CD as well as early church services. There have been many times the Holy Spirit taught me and convicted me through the convienence of television and CDs. However, they are no substitute for the real thing: real worship, real time teaching, with the fellowship of believers coming together to lift up the name of the One true God. I don't believe accepting imitation and convienent worship is the intent of the believer, it evolves over time because of the fast-paced world in which we live. Little by little we give into it until it becomes the norm in our lives.
The real thing costs more but is a worthwhile investment. After all, you get what you pay for. What is real worship costing you?
P.S. I am away today but thinking of you. I return home late this evening. Thank you for your prayers. This post was written Saturday before I left.
Our reading called it "an imitation." It is hard to find a good imitation. The first thing I think of is imitation chocolate chips for homemade cookies or imitation vanilla flavoring in a homemade pound-cake. It just isn't right. Webster defines imitation as designed to imitate or make counterfeit of a genuine or superior article or thing. Jeroboam (remember was told by God he would rule 10 tribes) felt threatened in his authority because the children of Israel were going to Jerusalem , where Rehoboam ruled, to make sacrifices and to attend the Festival of Shelters. He decided to make it more convenient for them to offer sacrifices by erecting gold calves and to worship by bringing the Festival to them, creating an imitation-a counterfeit to the genuine thing. The people fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I thought to myself, "how gullible." How quickly I was convicted.
The real thing costs more. Real vanilla is more expensive than imitation vanilla. The rich, smooth taste of Ghiradelli real chocolate chips is far superior to a knock-off, less expensive store brand. When you put real in, the outcome is much better, richer, and more satisfying.
Christians today are just as guilty as the Israelites of yesterday. We settle. We look for the quickest route to worship; watching church TV, listening to CDs in our car, or going to early worship service so we can get to the lake or the links before the crowd.
Please hear my heart. I love watching church on television and listening to sermons on CD as well as early church services. There have been many times the Holy Spirit taught me and convicted me through the convienence of television and CDs. However, they are no substitute for the real thing: real worship, real time teaching, with the fellowship of believers coming together to lift up the name of the One true God. I don't believe accepting imitation and convienent worship is the intent of the believer, it evolves over time because of the fast-paced world in which we live. Little by little we give into it until it becomes the norm in our lives.
The real thing costs more but is a worthwhile investment. After all, you get what you pay for. What is real worship costing you?
P.S. I am away today but thinking of you. I return home late this evening. Thank you for your prayers. This post was written Saturday before I left.






5 Comments:
Thank you so much for your time Wendy. For thinking ahead and preparing ahead for us. Very good examples with the chocolate. Something we can relate to. :)
A good time to once again, take a self survey and examine our hearts. What are we focused on. Is it God. Do we truly give Him our praises and worship or a few dutiful minutes each day. God would rather have 5 heartfelt mins than 50 mins of trying to fulfill our daily obligation to Him.
Have a great day today everyone.
Lynn
Morning Everyone!
Praying for a safe trip home dear Wendy.
Wow, as I was reading I Kings, I too was thinking, "Oh, how can they do this?" Then, as you pointed out, Wendy, we are guilty too! Help me Lord to see myself as I read Your Word, rather than be so quick to point the finger! God is so very patient with us and is good to keep us close by even when we begin straying.
I have always been a church-goer. It was just part of my week; however, there was a period of time when one of my children in Jr. High began playing on a Club Traveling Team. Innocently, and before I knew it, we were sucked in...attending games, pretty much all day Sunday! I rationalized in my head that, "it's ok, I can go to the Sat. night service," but, as the year went on it was hard to squeeze even Sat. church in. There were Saturday games too, and many times we'd be out of town or across the valley, playing in a tournament. Our quiet Sunday's, had vanished! We had "given up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing" [Hebrews 10:25] I did not feel good about it, but was not sure what to do. The boy's are very sports-minded, not to mention my husband! God in HIS mercy took care of it for me. A Sunday, prior to the beginning of the new season, the associate Pastor happened to be giving a sermon on the Sabbath! My own son was sitting in the Worship Center listening to the message also. This happens to be a man that my son looks up to; he has a son too that is very good friend's with my son. Anyway, the sermon was very to the point. No beating around the bush. He was so bold to say, that it's the norm now-a-days to attend "soccer games all weekend long." OUCH. I knew in my heart what we were doing was not the right thing for OUR family. Sports had taken over our life. We were attending sports rather than attending church. I did not have to say anything, as my son, made the decision! Praise God! God poured out his blessing too by the choice he made. He got connected more deeply to his weekly Bible Study, he was able to play in the JR High & Sr. High Worship bands at church, and his church friendships were strengthened all be cause he chose to honor the Sabbath.
As Christians, we need to be, oh ever so careful to guard against the plans that distract us from the Word of God.
Enjoy today, dear girlfriends! A new week has begun! :) Lori -AZ
Wendy, thank you so much for your continued dedication and obedience to the call of God.
There are so many ways in which true worship can be offered. Whether it be by Lifting hands,silence/meditation,shouting,
standing,clapping,kneeling/bowing,
giving an offering,playing instruments,testifying,dancing or
singing, John 4:24 instructs us to worship God in spirit and in truth.
Real worship is truly expensive as it calls for great sacrifices, but the returns are worth the investment!!!
Be blessed all!
Chanan, Bahamas.
I underlined Ecclesiastes 12:13&14
"Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey His commands, for this is everyone's duty. God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad."
It's spelled out for us in black and white.
I too am convicted by the cheap imitation idea of worship that you talked about Wendy. I tend to drift away from attending church in the summertime and make excuses like "I'll spend more time in the Bible today, or I'll praise him as I see the beauty of His creation while at the lake" etc... satan loves the fact we've gotten ourselves so terribly busy that God time seems to get less and less.... my imitation worship IS costing me the joy and blessing of being in the presence of my Lord and hearing more clearly His instruction to my heart.
May my conviction turn me to action.
Morgen
Well...better late than never...right?
Wendy, great post! How I long to be the "real deal".
Yesterday I just highlighted two words from Ecc.11:3, "Remember him..."
This might sound funny, but I have a favourite word, and that word is "remember". I enjoy taking time to let my mind wander down halls of memories, reliving the good times and releasing the difficult. So many cherished thoughts fill my heart. They are precious and I am thankful for the gift of recollection.
To remember is an invitation to pause and journey through an album of mental pictures and thoughts that have helped shape my being. Yesterday the Lord called me to remember Him.
Remember His goodness.
Remember His faithfulness.
Remember His sacrifice.
Remember His forgiveness.
Remember His love.
This do in remembrance of Him,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home