The Influence of a Wife
"(No one else so completely sold himself to what was evil in the LORD's sight as Ahab did under the influence of his wife Jezebel." 1 Kings 21:25

Women have influence. We have our ways, don't way? (Sorry guys - I am addressing the girls.) It was frightening to watch this woman at work. Her very name means impure. Dictionary.com defines impure as not morally pure or proper; unchaste or obscene; contaminating in nature. Never have I seen a definition so fitting to anyone. If you recall she caused trouble in 1 Kings 19:1-4, where she threatened the life of Elijah scaring them man to the point where he fled town. This woman was bad!

The word influence intrigued me. The NASB and ESV translate the word as incited. When you replace influence with incited the picture of the woman changes completely. As a woman, I would hope that I influence people in a positive way but I would not like to think I incited people. The Hebrew transliteration of the word is cuwth (sooth). It means to incite, allure, instigate, entice. What a list of adjectives!

It appears that Ahab fell prey to his wife's allure. Scripture suggests that she incited and allured others as well as her husband. She instigated and carried out a plan to kill an innocent man. Her husband demostrating his weakness, and displayed her power by not reprimanding or even questioning her actions.

So what should a wife do with her influence?
  • Incite: excite, motivate and encourage others in their walk with the Lord.
  • Allure: attract, draw, and hook others to dig deeper into the Word of God.
  • Instigate: promote, urge, and inflame in others a love for God and His Word.
  • Entice: attract, lure, and turn on others to a personal relationship with the Lord.
I am not sure how I am doing but the goal sounds good. How are you using your influence? Even if you are not a wife, you are woman and you "have ways. " Let's commit to use "our ways" in the right way.



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word of thanks to those praying for me - my glucose test turned out normal, so no diabetes for me this pregnancy! PTL!
Jodie

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

Oh wow is there ever some serious "life application" in this lesson!

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." Prov. 14:1

Blogger Chanan said...

Good to hear your good news Jodie, to God be the Glory, great things he has done and continues to do!!

My boss consistently tells me that I am an 'influencer' and that can be in a good or bad way. I never realised it before he mentioned it, but I am. I have been praying ever since for God to allow the positive things that I portray to always overshadow the not so positive things. Guess what I realised?.......I realised that when I was in the world, people who were around me were more willing to do the negative things (go to clubs, etc.) than they are to do the positive things that I now do (attend church frequently, stay in the word)!! I found that to be mind boggling..
Nevertheless, I will continue to seek God's assistance in being a positive influencer and pray that its enough to make them want to seek God for themselves.

Be blessed all.
Chanan, Bahamas.

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Hi everyone,
Jodie PTL for sure!
We as women do have a lot of influence and can use it for good or evil. I am and will continue to channel my influence to bring others to God. I often remind myself, others are watching to see if this God I serve is real or not. I want to live my life and have my actions make others desire the life I have.
It helps me in situations where I want to be fleshy and argumentive, to remember what I do affects those around me. (Sometimes the bite marks on my tongue are big... lol)
I understand what Chanan says about the pull of the world. It's like being a girl on a boys team. We as Women and Christians have to work twice as hard to influence people towards the Lord. (Sadly)

I am traveling this weekend to be with family. Prayers for safety and favor are welcomed. Have a blessed day and weekend.
Loves,
Lynn

Blogger Jekka said...

It's interesting to me how each of us can read the same passage and take away something different. When I read this passage this morning, I was humbled by the fact that no matter how great our sin(s)God is still a forgiving God. That is not to say that there will not be consequences for our sin--God tells Ahab that the affliction will be upon his children---but we are forgiven. What a wonderful God that we serve!
jekkaj1@hotmail.com

Blogger Joyful said...

Wendy, I wrote on this verse today too. Thanks for all the additional info. I was also reminded of the verse in 1 Peter 3:1 that says, "In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior."

My husband, childen, friends etc...are under my influence. I pray that my life is encouraging them to love and follow the Lord closer.

Living for Him,
Joy

Post a Comment

Home