"So let us stop going over the basic teaching about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding."
Hebrew 6:1
It is easy to sit back and get spiritually feed by our preacher and other Christian leaders. I coasted through my walk with the Lord for almost 30 years, occasionally taking my relationship with the Lord seriously enough to take a Bible study. (Even lead one or two -scary to think about now) I relied solely upon my pastor for spiritual nourishment and growth. If I was not growing or challenged in my walk that meant something was wrong with his sermons. Oh how sad that I put so much pressure on my pastor. I held him to a standard and expectation he could not possibly meet. Hebrew 6:1
The writer of Hebrews encourages us to "grow-up." There comes a time in our walk with the Lord that the basics should be second nature to us and we move on to application of His instructions. We should start feeding ourselves by breaking down the Word of God (bread of life) during individual study time with the Lord. When we are thirsty, we ought to be able to go the Well-Spring of life (Living Water-Jesus Christ) to have our thirst satisfied all by ourselves.
Growing-up is hard to do. It is hard to step out and trust our faith enough to dig into the Truth for ourselves. It is hard but not impossible. He has equipped us. He wants us to know Him. He is waiting to be found.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:13
Jeremiah 29:13
I love that He wants to be found by me, by you. With the seeking Jeremiah is talking about comes reward.
Anyone who wants to come to Him must believe that God exists and that He rewards those who sincerely seek him.
Hebrews 11:6b
Hebrews 11:6b
Growing-up is hard to do but the rewards are worth the effort. I hope to "grow-up" someday.






7 Comments:
Hello all,
This week has been very busy! My husband finally moved to Switzerland (arriving Sunday night) and all our household goods arrived on Tuesday. We are surrounded by boxes that need opening and sorting! It is overwhelming. So I have not been posting this week, but I have kept up with the readings. So much encouragement can be found in the letters of Paul!
Today I contemplated Jesus, the High Priest from the order of Melchizedek. Remember Melchizedek? He only appears in Genesis 14:18-20 and blesses Abraham. The only other time he is mentioned in the Old Testament is Psalm 110:4. I found it so revealing that Hebrews 7 is entirely devoted to Jesus as the High Priest from the order of Melchizedek!
Melchizedek (King of Justice)a king from Salem (Salem: King of Peace); to me this illustrated how far, how wide, how deep is the Knowledge of God. He foreknew these events and revealed them WAY BACK in Genesis 14! Were we even paying attention when we read those three verses?
Psalm 110:4 is then the oath from God: “You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.”
I love how Hebrews 7 wraps it all up in verses 24-26:
24 But because Jesus lives forever, his priesthood lasts forever.
25 Therefore he is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through him. He lives forever to intercede with God on their behalf.
26 He is the kind of high priest we need because he is holy and blameless, unstained by sin. He has been set apart from sinners and has been given the highest place of honor in heaven.
What a sweet picture this is! Our King of Justice and Peace; our great High Priest, standing at the right hand of God the Father, continuing to intercede on our behalf. As our prayers rise up like incense, He changes them to "a pleasing aroma to the LORD".
Grace, mercy and peace to you all this day!
Karen, Basel
Wow, Karen. I wasn't paying attention back in Genesis 14. After you mentioned it that way, I went back and placed a note beside Gen 14:18 - 20 to read Psalm 110:4 and Hebrews 7. This is so fun to see how it all fits together.
I guess this is really part of growing up. Growing up is hard to do but it's fun, too!!!
Enjoying each morning with you,
Nancy
Good morning faithful ones! I woke up thinking, "today is a new day to study the Word, to know Him better! It seems like He's done all the work with me-He's been the One to draw me close to Him, and He has placed such a strong desire to dig deeper in His Word. He loves us so much, we just can't even comprehend it. Our highest privilege is to press on to be like Him and treasure the will of God as the most precious thing in our life. And, as we read His Word, He reveals this to us each day.
Lord, today as I praise you, my soul will be refreshed. As I pray to you, my body will be refreshed. As I turn to you, you will refresh my mind, and my thoughts will become obedient to you. As I thank you all day long, you will refresh my perspective! Oh, Lord, thank you for drawing me close to you today. I seek to know you better with all of my heart today. Amen.
Loving Him, Lori - AZ
PS Karen, glad your husband and boxes are there with you! :) As each box gets unpacked you'll be closer to the light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you for your post! I'm going to go back and read some of the earlier verses too. I love the O.T. references!
Blessings this Friday as we journey into our weekend!
Karen you blew my socks off(!) - thank So Much for your post! Like Nancy, I marked the references between Genesis, Psalms and Hebrews in my Bible. It is so exciting when God reveals to us how to connect all of the dots...WOW! :)
Wendy, I also marked the passage you chose today as well as Hebrews 5:12 "you have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others."
Everything is possible with God, and as we learned yesterday together and were reminded at the beginning of our lesson today "[we can] come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it the most." Hebrews 4:16
There's a momentum building here.
I visit this blog every day and see and feel God's presence. All of you teach me what God has revealed to you, which blesses and enriches me. We have watched each other make strides in growing up this year!
I believe God is equipping us each for something new and wonder-full he has planned for us Very Soon.
I really feel it, don't you?! :)
Lord Jesus, I pray for your help this weekend that we might devote extra time to rest in you. To be still before you and to listen. To receive from you the mercy we don't deserve but so desperately need and to be filled with your grace to set out on the path you have chosen for each of us. I thank you for the gift of the feast of your word, for showing us the love of the father, and for leaving us your spirit which keeps us forever connected. I pray this in your mighty name, Amen!
Be blessed and be a blessing today ~ love to all,
Liz
AK
Wendy, it IS hard to grow up. To whom much is given, much is expected. We have been given the gift of His Word. We are expected to obey it, live it and give it.
Karen, glad to see you that you have your husband and your boxes with you. What a great beginning for the new year.
Liz, that is a great prayer. Thank you.
Brandee, thanks for the snippet of that devotion from yesterday. That was soothing.
It's been one of those weeks but I am glad it's coming to a close. So exhausted but I see this nugget in Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unjust. He will not forget how hard you have worked for him... May He see us all doing our very best to follow, obey and bask in His Word daily.
Have a blessed day, sisters!
Just now checking in today and have loved reading your comments! Liz your prayer just hit the spot tonight :) God is up to some big things, I can feel it!
Love,
Brandee, TN
I'm later visiting today. Busy day. Having my family for our Christmas dinner tomorrow. Still much to be done.
Karen, so glad your husband is out there with you now.
Today my focus whas on this verse: “…let us hold firmly to what we believe.” Hebrews 4:14
Holding tightly to his hand, we navigated our way through the crowd. My grip on my young son was prompted by a sea of people and the fear of separation. Love wrapped itself around his palm and held on.
Another day I remember that same hold after a night of freezing rain. Driving to school was impossible. Walking was treacherous. With his little hand in mine we slid across slippery sidewalks. He was confident I wouldn’t let him fall.
Tempted to disobey, I reached over and took his hand. No, he couldn’t run over there. It was dangerous. For safety’s sake, my grip tightened. Safety from peril and sin would cue my clasp.
The verse above has caused me to access my grip on God. Is it secure? Is it a resolute hold? Is my following with firm determination? The same obstacles threaten to pry my life from His grip of grace.
Sea of people
Separation
Slippery sidewalks
Sin
Father, help me hold firmly to You. Just last night my heart was sickened by the sight of one who let go. Their life no longer following the belief they once embraced. Lord, don’t let anything or anyone pry our hands apart. When other things and other people want to hold my hand, give me courage not to make that exchange. Strengthen my grip through Your Word…through prayer…through experience. Let me hold firmly to what I believe. Let me hold tight to You.
Not letting go,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home