"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It correct us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God us it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17
2 Timothy 3:16-17
It was 5 year ago. My Griffin was 4 years old and we were learning his memory verse for AWANA. The verse was today's key verse. Out of his precious mouth came these words:
"All scritshure is God-breaved."
If that does make you go "awwww" something is wrong with your "awwwwer." This sweet little boy was learning the power of God's Word. His mind was being infused with the authoritative truth of the scripture. This a truth that I, unfortunately did not learn until my early 30's. I learned it when he learned. Now when I hear scripture read or recited it is la salve for my wounds, food for my soul, and music to my ears.
God was very intentional about every word He wrote in His Book. It has purpose. It is not just a book of good stories that inspire us. It is written to:
- Teach us what is true
- Teach us what is wrong in our lives
- Teach us what is right.
- Correct us when we do wrong
All this for one purpose: to prepare and equip us (His people) for every good work. His Word does this through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Did you notice the word all? The Holy Spirit will not just teach us some things or the things we want to know but all things. Then He takes it a step further, He reminds us of what He taught us. (I love His "reminding" role. I need that.)
We know the job of the Word and role of the Holy Spirit. What is our role?
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
John 14:26 (NIV)
John 14:26 (NIV)
Did you notice the word all? The Holy Spirit will not just teach us some things or the things we want to know but all things. Then He takes it a step further, He reminds us of what He taught us. (I love His "reminding" role. I need that.)
We know the job of the Word and role of the Holy Spirit. What is our role?
- Know it.
- Read it.
- Study it.
- Obey it.
- Live it.
- Tell it.






10 Comments:
Know it.
Read it.
Study it.
Obey it.
Live it.
Tell it.
Amen! I can just imagine your son Wendy saying that as I have a 5 year old myself :) Will has been learning a verse a week for school and it is so awesome to watch him grow and learn these past few months. I was 30 as well when God starting really changing my life through His Word. It is my lifeline, it is my food, it is my daily sustenance I need to make it each day in this world. It has taught me what is true and how this world only teaches with is false.
My main verse (I highlighted quite a bit) was 2 Timothy 2:21, "If you keep yourself pure , you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work." I know what it takes to keep myself clean, I know what things I have to not watch, read, listen to, to keep my mind on truth and away from lies. To keep my mind stayed on things that are godly. On down in the reading Paul writes that everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution (2 Timothy 3:12). The fact that I have chosen to give up and not watch/read alot of what I used and striving to live a godly life and pass that onto others has led to name calling, being made fun of, told I thought I was better than others, etc. Some was even by people who profess to be Christians. I want my life to be clean though so my Master, Christ, can use me for every good work He has planned for me from before the creation of the world. I want to be used by Him and others can see I:
Live it and I
Tell it!
You all have a blessed day. Will has his progressive Christmas party today that I am going to with him. It should be so much fun! Will post pictures on my blog in the next few days :)
Love,
Brandee, TN
Wendy, another wonderful reminder. We can trust in God's Word to give us everything we need.
This morning I came across the verse that God used to call me into children's ministry, giving testimony that His Word is alive and active. It's a long story but I hope it encourages someone reading this today.
"No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everday life, so that he many please the one who enlisted him as a soldier." 2 Timothy 2:4
This Sunday will find me on the floor surrounded by precious little three year olds. It was just over a year ago now that my Pastor happened to mention a necessity for more workers in the area of Children's Ministries.
As my husband and I drove home from church that morning, I must confess to complaining in the car. I was annoyed that in a church our size we didn't have a superfluity of workers. Our demand does not exceed our supply - at least not in numbers, but maybe in willingness. After grumbling for a few moments, I decided I should keep my mouth shut. After all, I wasn't teaching in Children's Ministries!
As that Sunday afternoon wore on, I felt the Lord calling me to be open to the idea of being an answer to this need. At first I argued that although I wasn't serving in this area, I was involved in Women's Ministry and leading Bible Study. The Lord just didn't seem to accept that excuse, and by the time I was heading to bed that evening, I felt strongly convicted that I needed to respond.
To confirm God's prompting, my devotional the following morning was entitled, "We Serve God by Serving Others". All day Monday it was my intention to contact our Children's Ministry Pastor, but busyness and the tyranny of the urgent crowded out my obedience. As the day was ending I thought I had better make a list of where and when I would be available to serve. I had quite a few stipulations. As I crawled into bed, I tucked my 'wish list' (maybe more my 'list of demands') in my Bible, promising the Lord I would send an e-mail first thing in the morning.
Bright and early Tuesday morning I reached for my laptop. True to my word, I was going to send that message and oh, how pleased everyone would be with my willingness. I was responding to God's call. As I pulled out the list I had written hours earlier, I opened my e-mail to send my message and an on-line devotional had arrived. I clicked into it. God's timing was unbelievable. The key verse might as well have been in LARGE BOLD letters. It was the one I quoted above.
The devotional went on to say that real servants make themselves available and don't limit their availability. The author wrote, "If you only serve when it's convenient for you, you're not a real servant. Are you available to God anytime? As a servant you don't get to pick and choose when or where you will serve. Being a servant means giving up the right to control your schedule and allowing God to interrupt it whenever He needs to."
With tears streaming down my face I looked at my list of demands still held in my hand. Oh Father, how could I? I am so ashamed for my lack of surrender.
With complete humility and abandonment I did write that e-mail. Not the one I had originally planned. I shared that if they could use me, I would be available whenever and wherever.
The week after volunteering, God had me teaching a room full of precious little 3 year olds.
The timing of this verse today is so God. Just yesterday afternoon I began to get a sense that maybe a new ministry opportunity is calling. Desiring to be obedient,
Joy
This verse flew off the page at me too! The verse clarifies this to us: it can only mean that God expects us to real all Scripture and apply it. All Scripture -- reading & studying through the entire Bible, year after year, will allow us to, know it,obey it, live it, and tell it. We will be fully prepared to fulfill the will of God on our life as He talks to us through His Word.
The person that truly wants to know God will find Him as He reveals Himself in the Scriptures. Oh, Lord, today, I want to know you more. Tomorrow, I want to wake up and know you even more than today.
"Seek and you will find," Matthew (7:7).
Dear friends, have a blessed day!
Love, hugs, & prayer's coming your way...Lori - AZ
Joy, I LOVE what you have written this morning! It is something that I need to hear more often and know that when I agree to serve it is in God's hands. He knows where I am needed and He knows my schedule. I can't get upset if every morning I ask Him to guide my day and it goes somewhere I did not "plan" on my to-do list. There have been several things here lately that have spoken to me so much in my walk. This is one of them. Thank you Joy for this reminder this morning.
Back off here to get ready for a day of fun partying with Kindergardners :)
Joy, your testimony sticks out to me. I LOVE how God works like that! There have been different times through out my life, where I had been studying a certain scripture and without telling anyone about it, it would end up being preached about or someone would send a letter or something refering to the very thing I needed to hear and corresponded with my study.
Wendy, the scripture(s) you've used this morning have really given me something to think about.
Thanks for sharing everyone. I enjoy reading what each of you have to say.
Happy Wednesday to all,
Today's teaching and all of your comments are in direct correspondence to a lesson I read today "God will keep our lives exciting if we seek him daily and invite newness into our lives."
God's timing is so precise it very nearly takes my breath away sometimes!
I join everyone in thanking you for your testimony today, Joy. God has of late been working with me on surrender and trust, so I really appreciate and am encouraged by your experience.
God is so faithful and so good!
Everyone enjoy a blessed day in the hands of the Master!
Liz
AK
Wendy, mine is in Awana, too. He's in T&T. I also love that he gets to keep the Word in his heart. This and the Bible Bee helped him with verses. Sometimes I have to ask him where I can find a certain verse and he tells me. :)
Joy, thank you for sharing your testimony. Oh, how God spoke to you! It proves 2 Tim 3:16, doesn't it? I wish I could share this with my Catholic friends and family. When I became a Christian, the first notable difference I noticed was my hunger for the bible. Being fed just bits and pieces growing up did not satisfy me. I read and read and read. And five years later, I still continue to feed on God's Word. I'm learning, growing, and changing because of it. The Word truly is alive!
2 Tim 4:6-8 is what stood out for me in today's reading. These verses were used in my grandma's and mom's memorial services (they died 11 months apart). This just sums it up, doesn't it? At the end of my life, I would like to have lived out verse 7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful." Let us finish well, dear sisters.
Have a blessed day!
Your posts are all music to my ears!
Morgen
The word "purity" or "pure" is used so many times by Paul in our reading. I would need to go back and count the number, but I keep coming across it and I keep highlighting it. Keeping ourselves pure goes against everything this world has to say about how to live your life.. a continual battle for me and many others, I realize. I do know that God's word daily strengthens me and helps reinforce the value of staying pure. Man's opinion and value of purity is very sad! But, God is my "audience" and I must serve Him with all my heart and soul, He knows my earnest desire to stay pure, and I know He will continue to help me with this struggle while living on this earth. I look at some of the wisest women and women Bible teachers today and how they shine like diamonds with purity and inner beauty.. Jesus... that's what I want!
Blessings,
Krista
Joy,
I want to thank you so much for sending us to Melissa Taylor's blog the other day. I shared it with someone I knew would benefit from it. That person phoned me again today to tell me how much it helped her. She's experienced the same thing, that Christian's are the most judgmental with her. It came at the right time. The Spirit in you moving, friend! Hugs, Lori
Post a Comment
Home