Open Blog Weekend December 19-20
...to Grandmother's house we go... And the Christmas rush begins.

Lord, help remember the reason for season.

Check back later.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Jan Hobbs said...

Anyone, I need some help...today!!
I am making a stress box to give to someone tomorrow at church as a gift. A stress box has common everyday articles in it with a small piece of paper attached to it. The person takes out one every day and reads what it says.

Like a small bottle, with "To remind me that God has collected all my tears. He knows all about me. Psalms 56:8

Then there is a band-aid that has this; to remind me that a heart that's broken can be mended with God's healing love. Romans 8:28

Then there is a thumbtack that says, to remind me not to sit on or dwell on my problems, but to give them to the Lord. Psalm 68:19.

There are over a dozen items with verses, but I have 3 that I can't come up with verses for. Can any of you help me.PLEASE!!!

A small spatula, that says, To remind me there is always someone else who needs help to be peeled off the ceiling. What verse can I add to that???

Then there is the piece of chalk, that says, to use when something unpleasant happens, so I can "chalk" it up to experience. ???

Then the 3rd one is, a small knife or scissors, that says, To remind me to cut out all the unnecessary "stuff" in my life that is causing me a lot of stress.???

If anyone is interested in the complete list, just email me and I will be glad to send it to you. Those that I have given it to have really appreciated it. It is really fun to assemble,and you might even come up with more ideas.

Jan@buffalocanoeing.com

Jan TN

Blogger Karen said...

Dear Jan,

For number 3, how about Matthew 18:8-9 (the Message):

8-9"If your hand or your foot gets in the way of God, chop it off and throw it away. You're better off maimed or lame and alive than the proud owners of two hands and two feet, godless in a furnace of eternal fire. And if your eye distracts you from God, pull it out and throw it away. You're better off one-eyed and alive than exercising your twenty-twenty vision from inside the fire of hell.

It sounds like a great gift! What a wonderful idea!

Karen

Anonymous Jan Hobbs said...

I found one for the spatula, James 5:19-20.

Thanks Karen for the verse for the knife or scissors.

Anyone have any other suggestions for any of the 3???

Jan TN

Blogger Kristi Butler said...

I'm at my grandmother's house...missing you...and wishing you and your precious family a peaceful Christ-filled Christmas!

I love you, Sis!!

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Jan,
All I can think of for the remaining one is Matt 11:28 Come to Mel, all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.

Wendy,
Enjoy your time at Grandma's house!

The verses that spoke to me in today's reading are in Hebrews 8:10 (The day is coming when) "...I will put my laws in their minds and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God and they will be my people." That gives me such hope. Isn't it exciting how God promises to open our hearts to the meaning of scriptures? We do not have to wonder anymore. It will be built in.

The other one is in Hebrews 10:23-25 "Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promise. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near." Amen. That is my prayer for this group of ladies. May we continue on to 2010 until the Lord comes back to take us.

Have a restful night, dear sisters.

Blogger Joyful said...

Grace and Peace, I posted pics on my blog late last night of our family Christmas dinner yesterday using the verse, "...let us not neglect our meeting together..." Hebrews 10:25 We had a wonderful time, but it was a very busy day! Hope you had a fun family day too Wendy.

This morning my focus is on Hebrews 12:2, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith". Oh, how my eyes need to remain fixed on Christ, especially at this time of year when so many other things want to distract my gaze.

A friend of mine was visiting with her daughter one afternoon, and as they shared some precious time of fellowship together, her 2 year old grandson played nearby. At one point the little fellow had something he wanted to tell his mommy. He called for her several times, but his mom was so caught up in her conversation, she appeared unaware of his voice that continued to gain volume, demanding her attention. In frustration, he managed to hoist his short legs up onto the couch where his mother was sitting, and standing on the cushions in front of her, he cupped her face in his sweet hands and said, 'Mommy, listen with your face'!

After hearing this story and enjoying a chuckle, I began to wonder how many times the Lord has called my name and tried to get my attention and He's been met with no response. Does He long to hold my face tenderly in His Hands and call me to "listen with my face"? When He speaks, am I really attentive or do I only give half an ear to His voice. Are distractions causing me to look away, or am I always gazing intently into my Saviors face? Has the noise of this world caused me to become hard of hearing and has His voice become a dull murmur that I ignore? Hebrews 12:25 says, "Be careful that you do not refuse to listen to the One who is speaking."

In the Gospels we read about Peter walking on the water. He heard Christ's voice and in exuberance Peter leaps over the side of the boat and without hesitation begins defying all laws of physics as his feet are supported by the sea. Suddenly the reality of his circumstance crashes as the waves around him, and he begins to sink. He calls out to the Lord and immediately Jesus rescues his heart from its drowning faith.

In a more modern day illustration, consider 'Maggie Carpenter' in the movie, "Runaway Bride". As long as 'Maggie' kept her eyes on the groom waiting for her at the altar she continued walking down the aisle, but the moment she was distracted by the guests in the church, she turned and ran.

All three of these stories remind us where we should fix our eyes. We are the Bride of Christ and He is our Bridegroom. If we keep our gaze focused on Christ, situations around us may threaten or call for our attention, but as we look to Jesus, we will discover He will more than supply our every need. He will strengthen our faith, remove our fear and give us direction.

What is the Lord trying to tell you today? When He calls your name, give Him your undivided attention and "listen with your face".
Joy

Blogger Brandee said...

Good Sunday Morning Ladies,
We woke up to some snow here in TN. Not much at our house, just a light dusting, but it was enough to get Will excited :)

I have loved this weekend's reading. I marked the same verses you guys did. One other one that stuck out to me was Hebrews 12:15b, "Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many." Bitterness contaminates our whole being and seeps into every thought, reaction, conversation, our whole person. It does corrupt others. I know I have a person in my life that has a bitter demeanor and it is real easy when I am around this person or talking to them to bend towards that way too. I avoid talking on the phone with them too much now because the conversation always turns in that direction and the bitterness taints everything. As I have grown and dealt with my stuff I have moved away from those old thoughts and let God have my roots of bitterness. This was a person I would "vent" to and now that I have healed I guess new boundaries need to be drawn. I don't like going to those places anymore. Beth talked about this in her lesson on peace in the Fruits of the Spirit study I have been doing. Sometimes to keep peace we have to draw new lines and boundaries. I think that is what I am going to have to do even though it will be hard. I try to change the subject, I try to steer away from topics that bring this out more, but somehow every conversation goes to that direction. When we are bitter it corrupts others, it rubs off. This world needs so much healing in this area!

You all have a blessed Lord's day. We have children's church duty this morning and then home to bake some cookies and watch movies :)

In Him,
Brandee, TN

Anonymous Lori said...

Good Morning Everyone! Praying that each of you today receive His peace & rest on this day of Sabbath.

Jan, what a great present! I'm sure you've completed it by now, but possibly for the 3rd one: I Cor. 14:33 "God is a God not of disorder but of peace."

Rich, rich readings today in Hebrews! I love reading chapter 11; it's like walking down a long hall and stepping into the different rooms and meeting our ancestors again...people who truly put their faith in God. What did they know:
*they kept their eyes on the one who is invisible
*they looked ahead to His great reward
*they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland
*they received righteousness that comes by faith
*daily they made the choice to seek God
*Their weakness was turned to strength

I truly believe that they knew the great secret to contentment in life: faith in their faithfulness of God! As we read the Bible, by faith we too can have the guidance of God through our daily life experiences. "Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do, "Eph. 5:17). As we read His Word, He speaks to us and guides us. Our pastor said, "Open ourselves up to being interrupted by God. Desire and anticipate His whispers." Emanuel! Ahh, God with us!

One of my absolute favorite verses is the one you mentioned, Grace & Peace, Heb. 10:25. Love the NIV, "let us encourage one another---and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Oh, thank you dear believer's for your daily encouragement to me! Through your posting, you have opened up verses to me and allowed me to "taste and see that the LORD is good," I have learned this past year that without a doubt, it's FUN reading through the Bible with others'. God is so good to arrange us in this group where we can study Him daily, and at the same time "do," his Word, by "encouraging each other."

One more thing, through this blog, I have learned the power of having a daily prayer life. The more I do it, the more He shows me how possible it is to get to the point where you want to "always pray, and not give up, like Jesus did, and to, "pray without ceasing," like Paul said in I Thes. 5:17. God has shown me so much how praying is our way of speaking to Him. It's that open dialogue we have with Him. It's the way our relationship is strengthened. It's how we get to know Him better. As I have prayed for you throughout the year, God has blessed me, by opening up things to me. He also has shown me how the Spirit in me helps me pray. Seek His wisdom dear friends. He's waiting to bless each one of us. Emanuel. God with us.

Thank you dear blogger friends! I love each one of you! Lori - AZ

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jan I really liked the idea of a stress box. I will email you to request a copy...thank you!

When I got to Hebrews 11:36 where it talked about how some believers died, I had already written "Isaiah" in the margin next to "sawed in half". Was this something we discussed back in Isaiah and I referenced it here? Wierd, I cannot remember doing it...

I went "wowzie" when I read Hebrews 11:40 where God tells us all the great believers before us will not reach perfection without us. How awesome is that day gonna be when all believers will get our new bodies and be given our rewards at the judgement seat? My small mind cannot even imagine it....if Moses is standing next to me what am I gonna say to him? Cool beyond explanation!

Church program this morning, family Xmas this afternoon....let the busy time begin!
Remembering to Praise Him...

Morgen

Anonymous Jan Hobbs said...

If it weren't for the fact that we get to start all over on January 1, I would be so sad that we have almost finished this journey together. It is awesome...and you know what??? The best is yet to come...ETERNITY!!! We had a man in our church to go Home to be with the Lord this week. In our small church is a handicapped young man. We had to explain to him about this man's Home-going. This young handicapped man is so sensitive about others that it is really sweet.It was hard on him. But our brother is already in eternity...I wonder if he's met my dad yet?

For all of you that gave me verses for the stress box, thank you. A couple of you asked for copies, and if anymore of you want a copy, just let me know. It is a great way to encourage someone else in the Lord. And is really a lot of fun putting it together.

Jan TN

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

A little late checking in on this glorious Sunday. Great evening service today. (We're in Romans 3, justification, redemption and propitiation.)

Hebrews 11 is one of my favorites in the bible. Love the beginning verse about faith. Then the Hall of Faith. They are so inspiring! It's so hard to choose but the one that stood out to me was Hebrews 11:30 "It was by faith that the people of Israel marched around Jericho for seven days, and the walls came crashing down." This is the secret to demolishing strongholds.

I remember a few months ago when I asked my women's group to pray for my husband for seven days. I was inspired by what they did in Jericho. My DH had a lot of things happen to him growing up. It made him build a wall around him that no one can penetrate. Since none of us could scale that high wall, the only hope I have was God who can reach him from the top. So they agreed to pray with me and the 7th day we met and prayed in a circle. They also laid hands on me. That was in March. As I posted in my blog, the wall came tumbling down 8 months later (he was a lot harder than Jericho, I guess).

So if there are any strongholds in your life or with those you love, I encourage you to pray around them. Who knows what God will do?

Have a blessed week, dear sisters!

Post a Comment

Home